The DSLR Information Thread

Hi,
This thread is not been updated.Posting a query, Hope to get some suggestions.
I recently purchased a Canon 1300D (Single lens kit).
Want to buy a Tripod,a telephoto lens and a UV filter.
Tripod:-Vanguard Aluminium Tripod Espod CX 203 AGH With Gun Head.
Telephoto Lens:-Canon EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM.
UV filter:-(Suggestions are welcome).
Any other suggestion from members are welcome.
Thanks in advance.[:)]

Hi Cooldude,congrats on your new DSLR! I assume its your first tryst with a DSLR.If you are looking for a tripod for use during travel you may better go for lighter variants or those made of carbon fiber that can fold down to a small size into the travel bag.
For shooting landscape a much heavier tripod is recommended especially when shooting in low light as you want least camera shake with low shutter speeds.
Trust me in most situations you wouldn't need a tripod unless you have to shoot portraits/family pics when movement is limited and backgrounds are usually a screen /staged backdrop .
A telefoto lens is a good addition but i'd suggest you wait until you explore your camera a bit more to see what is useful for you.Don't invest in a lens which you wouldn't be using much down the line.
Rather you should wait and take time to understand what type of photography you are slowly inclined towards and then invest in the appropriate lens .
UV filters (are you talking about Polaroid filters ?)are not particularly useful unless your shooting in open light most of the time or trying to capture reflective surfaces.
Adding a glass in front of your camera lens always comes with a catch.The cameras lenses can see only through the additional glass added in front of it.So always invest in good quality glass filters if you wish.
A wireless remote shutter and flash trigger is a good investment early on.

Guys what to choose from the new Sigma 150-600 C and Tammy 150-600 F/5-6.3 Di VC USD?
I am mainly into Aeroshows, wildlife and BIF. My trusty 55-250 is simply not enough for reach now :(
I had finalized on Tammy but then I am not sure how focusing works during panning due to VC and also Sigma is a recent new launch. TIA!

Thread Starter #409
Guys what to choose from the new Sigma 150-600 C and Tammy 150-600 F/5-6.3 Di VC USD?
I am mainly into Aeroshows, wildlife and BIF. My trusty 55-250 is simply not enough for reach now :(
I had finalized on Tammy but then I am not sure how focusing works during panning due to VC and also Sigma is a recent new launch. TIA!
What camera are you using?

I am mainly into Aeroshows, wildlife and BIF. My trusty 55-250 is simply not enough for reach now
Can't go wrong with either of them, if you get a good copy. It's not just 'reach', at the right hands, either of them are superior than your 55-250 in every aspect.
You can always turn off the VC while BIFs with high shutter speeds. My Tammy did freeze up multiple times following which I always had to reattach the lens to get it back alive. Just saying.
Its the new Tamron 50-600 G2 the newest kid not the Sigma, though it costs way more than the V1 though.

I was about to recommend the Nikkor 200-500 assuming you a nikon user [:)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom