The DSLR Information Thread

THAT is amazing. So much details. That too with VC off that too at 600mm. Great Photog, great Cam and one hell of a Lens.
Thanks Vijay.
These pictures were shot @ f6.3 = no light in rains. If stopped down to say f8/f10, images will look cleaner and crispier. Will take my tripod + shutter release cable next time around.

DSC_2022.jpg
f6.3 600mm 1/400 s ISO 2000

..one hell of a Lens.
This lens is NOT fast enough to my liking, I mean the AF, even on my D810. In very good light it is manageable for moving subjects though.

At the longest end, one needs very steady hands if handholding. This close-up was shot @1/1600s f/6.3 ISO 360, handheld.

DSC_2409.c-2.jpg

A One pit stop for questions of a Newbie DSLR user

Friends,

There are many threads about DSLR like DSLR Information, Which DSLR to buy, Some other Pro-DSLR users threads like Best Photograph n all, here on our forum.

But IMO there is a need for a thread which specifically answers the queries for a beginner who is shifting from Point & Shoot Digicam to a DSLR.

I know we all are privileged to have gem of a experts here when it comes to Photography, so let's come up with our novice questions guys... [:)]

A One pit stop for questions of a Newbie DSLR user

Precisely what I needed. Thanks for starting this thread. I need to gift my wife a DSLR and have to buy one within the next 8 days. We have only been using mobile cameras and those basic point and Shoot digi-cams. What all options do we have within 25 K if any?

Replacing an analogue slr with another one

I have been using an old Yashica MG-2 SLR for nearly twenty years. It's served me well but last week I lost the battery door and the replacement is not available anywhere.
I am on the look out for a new SLR but I don't like DSLRs but prefer old school analogue ones. My friend develops the negatives for me and does a fantastic job.

Are old type slrs still available? do any of you still use these cameras?

Re: Replacing an analogue slr with another one

I have been using an old Yashica MG-2 SLR for nearly twenty years. It's served me well but last week I lost the battery door and the replacement is not available anywhere.
I am on the look out for a new SLR but I don't like DSLRs but prefer old school analogue ones. My friend develops the negatives for me and does a fantastic job.

Are old type slrs still available? do any of you still use these cameras?
Yours is a film era point and shoot camera. There's nothing special about that Yashica in today's world. There are plenty of MUCH BETTER replacements in "Compact Digital" category. You may find one in the link below :
https://m.ebay.in/sch/i.html?kw=Digital+camera+&apts=aptstyp%3DCategory%26aptsval%3D29997%26Camera%2520Type%3DCompact%2520Digital%2520Cameras%7C%26Brand%3DCanon%7CNikon%7CSony%7C%26&so=PRICE_ASCENDING&mxpr=10000&mnpr=3000

PS: If you want only a Film based camera, I'll give you my old Samsung FREE. It was a super basic P&S, Yr 2000-02 model, has 3X (or 4X?) zoom and operates on couple of AA batteries. It was used for may be 15-20 rolls, but not powered on since 2006. Must be somewhere in the house. You can arrange to pick it up from my residence. PM me, if interested. But I wouldn't recommend such Cameras even to my enemy.

Last edited:
I have tried entry level digital ones but does not even come close to the old yashica. The problem is that they look alright on computers but when a print is taken it's not lively. Are film cameras still the best? I saw a Nikon FM-10 on Nikon's website,is it good ? Can it outclass DSLRS or point and shoot cameras in the same price bracket. I am trying to replace the yashica with a model costing not more than 20k. When all camera repair shops replied they don't have it's door it was a tearful good-bye to an old friend.I could have replaced her long ago but it had a special feel to it. I long for something like it if it is possible. Please help me with this because I am absolutely ignorant about the digital age.

Last edited:
I have tried entry level digital ones but does not even come close to the old yashica. The problem is that they look alright on computers but when a print is taken it's not lively. Are film cameras still the best? I saw a Nikon FM-10 on Nikon's website,is it good ? Can it outclass DSLRS or point and shoot cameras in the same price bracket. I am trying to replace the yashica with a model costing not more than 20k. When all camera repair shops replied they don't have it's door it was a tearful good-bye to an old friend.I could have replaced her long ago but it had a special feel to it. I long for something like it if it is possible. Please help me with this because I am absolutely ignorant about the digital age.
[a] Your Yashica surfaces on olx / quickr regularly. Buy one to salvage spare parts to bring your trusted Cam back.

The Nikon you mentioned is a old SLR for Films. If you have not used an SLR earlier, you'll be wasting rolls after rolls. There's a reason why the world left Films in cupboards for DSLRs to conquer the market na? Don't reinvent wheel.

[c] I'd say, most compact digital P&S Cams do a reasonably good job under good lighting conditions. The prints are good for even 7"x5" (or slightly bigger).

[d] Recently on a 1 week trip together, a friend kept criticising me on my choice of NEX5R. Fed up, at one point I asked him where his Rs 50,000 Nikon was; it was 450km away ! Argument was over :-) Many like the fantastic output from a DSLR but leave it at home due to the Bulk. So get an entry level DSLR on rent and shoot for a day. It'll tell you if you can live with it or not.

I still feel a HIGH END Compact P&S is good for you.

Spending more time behind the lens than in front of the computer these days, time permitted. Using Lightroom ever since I got my first DSLR.
  • I would have liked a tool for selective sharpening on LR though.
  • Link to any LR plug-in for framing/border will be appreciated
On a separate note, let me confess that over time I too have my share of experience with ‘GAS’ and now more or less settled with the arrival of D810. It is built like a tank and am loving the controls at your fingertip, the most used one being the‘AF-ON’ for AF. Should I say now that, all other DSLRs that I used/tested earlier suddenly feel like ‘cheap toys’ at hand ? Nah ! :biggrin:

Now I feel that there is nothing like a DSLR for a starter and upgrading from one to another ..et all. If you are serious and have the budget, go for the best you can afford, of course based on your requirement.

My D810 is always coupled with Tamron 150-600 these days. It’s really very heavy set up but I am quite comfortable shooting with it handheld all the time. In good light I have set 1/800s as the minimum shutter speed and 1/250s mostly. Yes I do delete blurred images due to slower shutter speeds/poor focus/bad technique/subject movement etc. :tongue:

A good blend of highlights and shadows that are captured gives your image the natural appeal. Give it a thought before you pull the shadow tool to the extreme right while trying to show the ultimate detail in your picture.

This picture was taken with my D810 + Tamron 150-600 @ f6.3 ISO 1100 1/800 s spot metered
DSC_3953-2.jpg

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Flagship DSLR With 4K Support Launched in India

Canon has just announced the EOS-1D X Mark II which will be available in India from April at price of Rs. 4,55,995 for just the body. The camera is designed for professionals and will succeed the EOS-1D X.

The flagship features a new 20.2-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor and is powered by Canon's Dual DIGIC 6 image processor. The expanded ISO range has now been extended to 409,600, which is a whole one stop higher than the previous model. The camera also gets a new metering sensor and EOS iTR autofocus with 61 selectable points. The mirror in the camera gets a new drive mechanism which enables 14fps burst mode with AF tracking and 16fps in Live View.

However, one of the highlights has got to be the long-awaited support for 4K video recording. You can also opt for a 120fps video mode for slow-motion video. The camera body is made of a magnesium alloy with sealed flaps, making it dust and water resistant. You get built-in GPS with the option for adding a Wi-Fi transmitter. There's also a USB 3.0 port for faster transfer of images and video.

"The EOS-1D X Mark II is Canon's answer to the top rung professional photographers' unrelenting pursuit of excellence in imagery. The EOS-1D X Mark II is squarely aimed at top professionals who demand the best of speed, accuracy and results, and essentially cannot afford to miss a moment. With 14.0 fps & 4K video recording at up to 60fps, sports, fast action, wildlife photographers, as well as videographers, will find the EOS-1D X Mark II to be a revolutionary step up" said Andrew Koh, Vice President, Consumer Imaging & Information Centre, Canon India.

Source: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Flagship DSLR With 4K Support Launched in India | NDTV Gadgets360.com

I have a quick question guys, I have a Canon EOS 1100D and I am going to Manali next week. So I want to ask that which mode shall I use to take pictures while we are moving in the car.
And I have 2 lens 18-55mm and 55-250 mm which one should I use while travelling.

I have a quick question guys, I have a Canon EOS 1100D and I am going to Manali next week. So I want to ask that which mode shall I use to take pictures while we are moving in the car.
And I have 2 lens 18-55mm and 55-250 mm which one should I use while travelling.
If you are planning to take picture in moving car issue you have to handle is camera shake, so your shutter speed needs to be high enough, keep that in mind. In such situations you keep my camera in shutter priority and at some precalculated shutter speeds. For standstill you can use thumb rule of reciprocal of your focal length as shutter speed(i.e for focal length of 60mm you need shutter speed atleast 1/60 sec) but keep an eye on exposure as there is a chance that you may still underexpose your pic because of lack of light and then you have to bump up your ISO. Dont use 55-250 as this demands higher shutter speeds and also while moving its better to be as wide as possible. Try not to zoom too much.

Hello guys,

I got my first DSLR yesterday and it is Nikon D3200. Yeah a 4 years old model but still available and I don't think camera age matters for photography.

Amazon had a offer for 19k for Nikon D3200 (Black) with 18-55 kit lens (8GB card + DSLR bag) on 24th Jan. Actually I was in search for entry-level dslr since long but did not find a nice deal until now. Before going for it, I did a quick compare with Canon 1200D which 2 years newer but price tag is same as D3200. Both are good in terms of picture quality but 1200D has has more sensor pixel area due to less mp. Apart from that, D3200 key specs are noticeably higher then 1200D, i.e 24mp sensor, High res display, More AF points, Slightly bigger sensor and etc.

Finally decided to go for D3200 and placed order on 24th. However, I was disappointed with the seller and courier service because seller took 4 days to dispatch the item. It reached local office in my city on Saturday (30th Jan) morning but they kept it till Tuesday (2nd Feb). I contacted to amazon customer support and their courier office, then they delivered in the evening at 6pm! Otherwise I don't know when they would deliver it. Actual delivery date was Monday (1st Feb).

Anyway, now I have the camera and it so awesome! and of course its advanced with lots of options. In meantime when it was in transit, I read its manual and guide books so I was able to operate it without confusion. However, there is lot to learn and understand, especially manual mode operations.

The kit lens is good and I hope it will serve until I get used to with the camera. Though, I'm not into telephoto shots or micro shots. Just wide angle scenes and some flower/birds shots. I will share some shots later. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

Top Bottom