The DSLR Information Thread

350Z

Core Team
Your captured photographs were already lovely, now they will get lovelier. Congratulations for the purchase.

Drive Safe,
350Z

One of my colleagues is looking to buy a DSLR very soon. We had been doing pretty good amount of reasearch and have shortlisted on Nikon D3100.

Nikon D3100 body + 18-55mm Nikor Lens retails at 32,990/- at CameraCiti with Camera Bag, $GB memory stick and 2 yrs warranty

Same setup at Shetala Cameras website costs you 500rs less.

@Jayadev, D5000 is a great buy for it's price but it was recalled in the US for some part was failure prone. So we had to cancel the order which we had placed at amazon 2 months back.

Hope this helps!

jaydev, how much do you think 18-200m would cost over here, over there i see the price of approx 900$ on their website, havent checked any deal yet.

Re: Suggestions required in buying a Digital Camera

Yeah, even i am thinking of getting DSLRs, but a bit confused. Do post some more info about it in this thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/gadgets-more/1433-dslr-information-thread-2.html
I will surely add something there Akash. By the way, what is your budget and preferences for a DSLR. Please understand photography is a "Bad Habit" because if you find interest in it then no budget is a good budget [lol]. One camera to another, small zooms to big zooms, different type of tripods, lighting equipment.

[confused] Am I saying too much to early !!

Ok for photograhpy using your DSLR you should be ready to invest time and ready to go places. I know few people, who dream about some location on a cup of coffee in the evening and moving next day morning in a pair or alone. So, level of interest should be there before you are ready to invest in it. Rest is show off if you want people to see you as a great man having a BIIIGGG camera. Or else settle with good point and shoot camera, anything from Nikon is best and followed by Canon, Pentex etc.

All the best and do share your points. I am not sure whether I will be any help but surely extend support to the utmost level.

Re: Suggestions required in buying a Digital Camera

I will surely add something there Akash. By the way, what is your budget and preferences for a DSLR. Please understand photography is a "Bad Habit" because if you find interest in it then no budget is a good budget [lol]. One camera to another, small zooms to big zooms, different type of tripods, lighting equipment.

[confused] Am I saying too much to early !!

Ok for photograhpy using your DSLR you should be ready to invest time and ready to go places. I know few people, who dream about some location on a cup of coffee in the evening and moving next day morning in a pair or alone. So, level of interest should be there before you are ready to invest in it. Rest is show off if you want people to see you as a great man having a BIIIGGG camera. Or else settle with good point and shoot camera, anything from Nikon is best and followed by Canon, Pentex etc.

All the best and do share your points. I am not sure whether I will be any help but surely extend support to the utmost level.
No concrete plans of purchase up till now. I will definitely let you all know before i get one. I agree with each word of yours. I had been to a Camera mall to enquire about the newest models, so thought of sharing with you all.

Thanks Akash for shifting my previous posts here.

@ Jayadev, great pictures man. You have a photographic view of looking at things. Just checked your pictures at flickr. Nikon D90 is indeed a great camera.

I have D3000 with 18-55 kit and Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 kit. I also have one Nikon F55 (film role camera) and Canon A450. Oh I forgot, I do have a Sony handycam (Sony is the best in handycams) but seldom use it. he he he

thanks shailinder.
Please understand photography is a "Bad Habit" because if you find interest in it then no budget is a good budget
I have 3 bad habbits or hobbies. photography is the worst one!!!!
1.audio enthisiast
2.auto enthusiast
3.photo enthusiast.

almost everybody understands audio means ok, jay is making music sound much better.

auto-jay is making his car much better or looking forward to upgrade.

but just to take a photo why jay is spending thousands and wandering from dusk to dawn.

Nikon D90 is indeed a great camera.
sure it is Shailinder.
my heart always ask, punto or nikond90 ...!!!!
no offence to autoguys nikond90 wins she is a masterpiece like a bently ..!!!!

i move around with 50mm1.4f lens , sb900 flash 8gbx3 sd cards.

always remember it is not the camera but the person behind.

Last edited:
shailinder , your capture in flickr "sunlight from dark sky" and "under construction building" shows what i mean by above quote...!!!!

i repeat it is not a great camera but greatness in you which does wonders.

Last edited:
thanks shailinder.
I have 3 bad habbits or hobbies. photography is the worst one!!!!
1.audio enthisiast
2.auto enthusiast
3.photo enthusiast.

almost everybody understands audio means ok, jay is making music sound much better.

auto-jay is making his car much better or looking forward to upgrade.

but just to take a photo why jay is spending thousands and wandering from dusk to dawn.

sure it is Shailinder.
my heart always ask, punto or nikond90 ...!!!!
no offence to autoguys nikond90 wins she is a masterpiece like a bently ..!!!!

i move around with 50mm1.4f lens , sb900 flash 8gbx3 sd cards.

Rightly said Jayadev. Off late, i have developed an interest towards photography. I am still not sure whether to spend on DSLR right away or get a digital camera, use it for an year or so and then go for it. The major issue being i want to purchase it by myself which i can since i will be starting with my job from the next month.

shailinder , your capture in flickr "sunlight from dark sky" and "under construction building" shows what i mean by above quote...!!!!

i repeat it is not a great camera but greatness in you which does wonders.
Well, I agree with your statement Jayadev. [thumbsup] I always believe camera is a tool and one should know how to use.

I must tell you, you have nice set of pictures at flickr.

I think I can shine some light on this topic about comparisons.
In 2009, when the Nikon D90 initially came out, I had just enough money to buy myself a body + 2 x kit lenses as a package.
Lenses were 18-55mm and a 75-300 mm.
For a full year, I enjoyed the camera whilst saving up for a 18-45mm|f1.4 nikkor lens. By this time, my older brother started using my camera too, I didn't object as he was sort of looking after it. December 2010, he came home and told me that he broke my camera. I thought he was joking, he wasn't. Apparently he was attempting some rolling shots without using the camera strap and it slipped off his hands. Luckily it had the 18-55 on it when it happened.

I was saving up for a prime lens for my D90 when it broke, and I already had a 75-300 from the kit, I also had a photo-shoot scheduled 3 days after. So I needed something quick, did my research and went and bought a EOS1000D.
Yep, massive downgrade from a D90, but I couldn't help. Got rid of my 75-300 Nikkor. Now back in the process of saving up for a better body. After using the canon for 6 months, I think I've been converted. How ever complicated a nikon might be, its a canon from me. Its just MY personal choice however.
Next body will be a EOS5D MkII with a lens sporting the lowest possible f-stop.

Also to back me up, I have a Nikon L120 P&S camera :)

Have a look through my flickr for photos, its mostly cars though.
recycle-art

Top Bottom