The DSLR Information Thread

... I use the stock lens only. Sometimes I feel the pictures aren't sharp enough. I guess fine tune would help, but I don't know what value should I use.
I've been following this thread for quite sometime, manojodungat is nicely taking care of queries. Though manoj has answered, I would expand his answer.

Most stock lenses are all-rounders. But a Prime is more suitable if sharpness, bokeh or low light photography are needed more. You can check my sample shots using a Kit and a vintage Prime here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ny-nex-5r-mirrorless-camera-2.html#post426174. But then, sharpness is not EVERY THING in a photo. Look at the Pic (shot yesterday) and its crop below:
1.JPG
2.JPG

I kept shutter speed at 1/8s when the lens was at 105mm. So obviously handshake would be there; there goes my sharpness (evident in the crop above). Then why did a take this Pic ? I could see a glowing alien amidst the bushes [:D] . Can you spot him ??

3.JPG
For me, this is more precious than mere sharpness. My camera is my way of letting others see what I see. PERIOD.

I was about to delete this image shot from a distance which was badly exposed = poor technique + bad weather !:tongue:

The unprocessed image !
DSC_2569 (2).jpg

Cropped for composition after having done my best to correct the exposure in post processing ! Usable to some extent !
DSC_2569.jpg

Last edited:
For me, this is more precious than mere sharpness. My camera is my way of letting others see what I see. PERIOD.
Sharpness is not everything in a picture, but definitely is a key element.

But then , how sharp is sharp enough ? [:)]

This picture of mine was shot on an overcast day with a lens whose AF wasn’t consistent. Though it is not tack sharp [ the subject=bird], is good enough according to me.

A low resolution of it here,
DSC_1386-5.jpg

Travel season ahead = lots of excitement.
Flying back home in a week time, means shopping time. Had some money left, hence presented myself with a couple of medium- fast primes [glasses]

• An ultra-wide angle : Samyang 14mm f/2.8 AE
  • 1:1 Macro + portrait : Sigma 105 f/2.8 EX DG OS
Shall share here with the real life experience, as and when I get time shooting with these in the busy schedule.

BTW, This is what I checked first after getting the Siggy. This time around the AF was spot on with absolutely no fine tuning required at all.
DSC_2995.jpg

Spent a couple hours behind my macro 105/2.8 last weekend. I am having lots of fun shooting birds off late but the world of macros takes it to another level.

Was behind this fast moving fellow and my Camera's AF wouldn’t pick it. Went to manual immediately, setting the focus plane on a flower and waited. The DOF is so thin at this close distance and getting the subject of interest in focus was tiresome but fun.

It was shot @f4 at which it is not even full macro and I had to freeze the bee in motion, hence 1/1000s. Will wait for a brighter day to try stopping down the aperture further to get better DOF.

DSC_6767-2 ND.jpg
105 mm f4 ISO320 1/1000 s

Edit: click on the image for a better view.

Last edited:
Had a short birding session which lasted about 20 minutes today. The 600 mm reach should definitely serve me better in future. [;)]

A long shot, cropped for composition. Captured this Shrike which was on top of a tree from about 15 m or so.

DSC_9403.jpg

Bought a DSLR bag/ Backpack. I was contemplating on a Lowpro Runner 450 AW. It was recently that I was introduced a brand, here in CHINA, called ‘Ainogirl’ by my friends. When I examined it physically, I was mighty impressed with the quality and utility of its current generation and large selling variants.

• The variant A2123 has dimensions similar to Lowpro Runner 450 AW but appeared to have better built with more features and better cushioning. Hence, it was a no brainer and an easy decision.
  • It is Nylon based and has Neoprene straps +YKK zipper.
  • It fits very well my Camera body with Tamron 150-600 mounted with additional slots for my all other lenses + my flashgun + Extension tubes + Filters.
  • I can carry my sturdy Tripods and also there are provisions for a couple of more monopods/tripods.
  • It has dedicated internal compartments for my Laptop and iPad Air 2
  • The main compartment unzips and opens at the rear of the bag, instead of on the front, so the surface that you wear remains uppermost when delving into the bag.
  • There are a couple of pouches on the straps= hip bags for mobile phones + lens caps etc.
  • In the main compartment, there is a removable soft pouch for stashing battery chargers and for organising cables.
  • It comes with a slip-over rain cover.

IMG_0038c.jpg

Bought a DSLR bag/ Backpack. I was contemplating on a Lowpro Runner 450 AW. It was recently that I was introduced a brand, here in CHINA, called ‘Ainogirl’ by my friends. When I examined it physically, I was mighty impressed with the quality and utility of its current generation and large selling variants.

• The variant A2123 has dimensions similar to Lowpro Runner 450 AW but appeared to have better built with more features and better cushioning. Hence, it was a no brainer and an easy decision.
  • It is Nylon based and has Neoprene straps +YKK zipper.
  • It fits very well my Camera body with Tamron 150-600 mounted with additional slots for my all other lenses + my flashgun + Extension tubes + Filters.
  • I can carry my sturdy Tripods and also there are provisions for a couple of more monopods/tripods.
  • It has dedicated internal compartments for my Laptop and iPad Air 2
  • The main compartment unzips and opens at the rear of the bag, instead of on the front, so the surface that you wear remains uppermost when delving into the bag.
  • There are a couple of pouches on the straps= hip bags for mobile phones + lens caps etc.
  • In the main compartment, there is a removable soft pouch for stashing battery chargers and for organising cables.
  • It comes with a slip-over rain cover.

View attachment 171976
Hi...your DSLR bag seems more than sufficient to carry all your gears.
I have a small one which is a shoulder bag in which I can carry the camera, the 18-105, 70-300, charger and a couple of filters. After all these are in the bag, there is no space for anything else.
link: Caden K1 Professional Triangle Crossbody Shoulder Bag for DSLR Camera - Black: Buy Caden K1 Professional Triangle Crossbody Shoulder Bag for DSLR Camera - Black Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Can you please give a brief review about the Tamron 150-600 and your experiences with the lens.

Thanks a lot

Can you please give a brief review about the Tamron 150-600 and your experiences with the lens. t
Sorry for the late response as I am too busy these days.I am back in India for a couple of months. I shall pen down my experience with the Tammy 150-600 in detail soon. [:)]

As of now I can say that the Tammy is less sharp at all focal lengths than my copy of the Sigma 150-500 which has been sold now.

• The one big issue I face is that the Tammy freezes [AF] at times. Reattaching the lens will get the lens back alive. I had sent the lens to Tamron @ Shanghai but that did not solve the issue. It happens with both on my D610 [earlier] and D810 now.
  • AF speed is not any significant over my copy of Sigma 150-500. I bought Tammy for the following reasons
  • I use Nikon FX bodies hence liked the additional 100 mm =600mm
  • The colour rendition is beautiful and more natural and pleasing than Sigma 150-500
One taken with the Tammy 150-600
DSC_1801-3.jpg

P.S: Have a look at the new Sigma 150-600 C as well, which is getting excellent user reviews.

In a nutshell thisTamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 is a great lens for the price. Hope this review helps:
Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Review
I take his reviews with a pinch of salt, a good starting point though [;)]

Last edited:
so i upgraded my cam from a d7100 to a d750 was looking at the d810 but the d750 seemed to be a winner.
Got tokina 11-16 2.8
tamron 24-70 2.8
sigma 35mm art 1.4 dg hsm
and sigma 15mm fish eye

next on my list is a 70-200 nikon as well as a 150-600 however stuck up between sigma contemporary and tamron.

manoj what areas do you feel the tamron scores over the sigma?

so i upgraded my cam from a d7100 to a d750 was looking at the d810 but the d750 seemed to be a winner.
Congrats on the D750.
I got a D810 recently. The only reason I chose it over the D750 was the cropping advantage of the D810.

Got tokina 11-16 2.8
Why a DX lens ?

manoj what areas do you feel the tamron scores over the sigma?
I have no personal experience with the new Sigma 150-600, both 'C' and 'S'. I had a Sigma 150-500 earlier, using which I had sharper pictures than my new Tamron 150-600. May be camera shake @ 600mm.

Sigma have come a long way with their 'Art', 'C' and 'S' series lenses. Please read my initial impressions on the Tammy in my earlier post. From what I read, at 600 mm, the Sigma C has the optical advantage.

A recently taken image using my Tammy. This was taken @600 mm, handheld with 'VC' off [:)]

DSC_2117-2.jpg

Top Bottom