The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Useful thread. Lot of insights.

Even am on the verge of changing my car. At present, I have LPG Spark and seriously thinking of Diesel mainly for two reasons. Low cost (Now more or less same) and FE.

Yes, as Figoen mentioned, do i need to pay the extra amount am going to save in FE to other expenses? Good Question.

Need to think.

In my case, I might take the car to commute to my office if it is diesel. Otherwise, am very happy with my Bullet. The main thing is the Chennai Traffic. Easy for me always.

A thread I'm searching for!

I'm looking out for a car for my wife which we intend to buy in next 5-6 months. She travel 90 kms daily on M800 and now that the car is about to complete it's 15 years, the fuel she gallops is quite a concern for us. We're thinking for an automatic and AMT is what our budget permits. Kwid, Datson redigo and tiago.

However, since the kms she cover is quite a lot, petrol doesn't make any sense. I also took the TD of freestyle and was shocked to see the price of its base model. Quite a VFM vehicle. I was in love with that car since I took its TD. But my wife prefers automatic any day over manual. Someone also suggested us not to go for an AMT as it's not reliable for long distance travels? Is it true?

Please advice.

She travel 90 kms daily on M800. But my wife prefers automatic any day over manual. Someone also suggested us not to go for an AMT as it's not reliable for long distance travels? Is it true?

Please advice.
90 KMs in a day? [surprise] That's quite a distance and I am sure no one would disagree to pick diesel anyday. You have quite a few options with Diesel AMT today. I can understand her pain to look for Auto / AMT with that kind of distance.

I hope it's a highway drive mostly...

At present, I have LPG Spark and seriously thinking of Diesel mainly for two reasons. Low cost (Now more or less same) and FE.

Yes, as Figoen mentioned, do i need to pay the extra amount am going to save in FE to other expenses? Good Question.

Need to think.

In my case, I might take the car to commute to my office if it is diesel. Otherwise, am very happy with my Bullet. The main thing is the Chennai Traffic. Easy for me always.
Sethu Anna, FE issue for you and me [lol] It will never end I guess! However, these days even many petrol cars fetches better FE. Eg: Figo Petrol compared to previous model, any MS Cars, goes without saying, if FE is the only requirement [:D] But look for sensible options by keeping FE as a byproduct. It shouldn't be a deal breaker unless the car expected to return in single digits.

BTW, Traffic in Chennai? I wish you to move to Bangalore to see the real one!

90 KMs in a day? [surprise] That's quite a distance and I am sure no one would disagree to pick diesel anyday. You have quite a few options with Diesel AMT today. I can understand her pain to look for Auto / AMT with that kind of distance.

I hope it's a highway drive mostly...
Diesel AMTs and now we have Diesel CVT as well, but we won't plan to stretch our budget beyond 6 lakhs. It's a Govt school in a village where she goes and I must say that the roads are even better than the city. So once you're out of the city, it's a great country-side road.

Does any TAIer travels such a distance with AMT and is AMT a reliable technology?

Diesel AMTs and now we have Diesel CVT as well, but we won't plan to stretch our budget beyond 6 lakhs. It's a Govt school in a village where she goes and I must say that the roads are even better than the city. So once you're out of the city, it's a great country-side road.

Does any TAIer travels such a distance with AMT and is AMT a reliable technology?
That's insane distance for a lady to travel, that also in an unsafe M800, is it 90km one way?

6L you will not get a diesel AMT, forget a CVT, be generous to her, and get her a proper safe car.

Advantage of an AMT, frugal satisfies the kitna deti hai question, is mildly sluggish under 1.5k rpm, CVT is a sipper and has the rubber band effect.

For diesel AMT, there was Ignis, but no more available, TD the Swift diesel AMT it's around 8/9L, going higher there is the Nexon XMA diesel which is 9.6L on road, amaze diesel cvt should be around 10L.

Don't go for Mahindra AMT they have major issues. If you can wait freestyle is supposed to get a AMT, whether in Petrol or diesel is not known. Tiago and Tigor diesel AMT are not available for now.

Do make a proper budget and then decide.

Regards
Vinod

Last edited:
Sethu Anna, FE issue for you and me [lol] It will never end I guess! However, these days even many petrol cars fetches better FE. Eg: Figo Petrol compared to previous model
One of my college got Figo petrol and crying daily cos of very poor FE He might be a unlucky chap like you and me..

any MS Cars, goes without saying, if FE is the only requirement [:D] But look for sensible options by keeping FE as a byproduct. It shouldn't be a deal breaker unless the car expected to return in single digits.
FE is also important like other aspects. but am not expecting huge. some decent numbers. My friend's Tiago (XZ, Petrol) average was between 19 to 23. At the same time, my daughters friends Tiago (no idea of model) gives around 10 only. I think the FE is also based on luck and driving skills!!

BTW, Traffic in Chennai? I wish you to move to Bangalore to see the real one!
Last year my friend switched from Car to RE, Thunderbird only cos of Bangalore Traffic.

That's insane distance for a lady to travel, that also in an unsafe M800, is it 90km one way?

6L you will not get a diesel AMT, forget a CVT, be generous to her, and get her a proper safe car.

Advantage of an AMT, frugal satisfies the kitna deti hai question, is mildly sluggish under 1.5k rpm, CVT is a sipper and has the rubber band effect.

For diesel AMT, there was Ignis, but no more available, TD the Swift diesel AMT it's around 8/9L, going higher there is the Nexon XMA diesel which is 9.6L on road, amaze diesel cvt should be around 10L.

Don't go for Mahindra AMT they have major issues. If you can wait freestyle is supposed to get a AMT, whether in Petrol or diesel is not known. Tiago and Tigor diesel AMT are not available for now.

Do make a proper budget and then decide.

Regards
Vinod
90 Kms up down commute. Yes, I agree M800 isn't the safest bet, nor reliable, that is the only reason we're rushing to get a new car for her.

I guess there are some stock left for Ignis in diesel. I've to call Nexa outlet to ask them if there is? Freestyle won't get an AMT, as Ford has said in the official statement that they doesn't want to compromise on the driving pleasure, so won't be giving AMT just for the sake. I've mailed Ford customer care team regarding providing automatics in both petrol and diesel and the reply was that they have passed on the information to the core team. One of my friend also told me that they might bring automatic in updated Figo and Aspire and not in Freestyle. I hope they do in freestyle as well. Ford, are you listening?

90 Kms up down commute. Yes, I agree M800 isn't the safest bet, nor reliable, that is the only reason we're rushing to get a new car for her.

I guess there are some stock left for Ignis in diesel. I've to call Nexa outlet to ask them if there is? Freestyle won't get an AMT, as Ford has said in the official statement that they doesn't want to compromise on the driving pleasure, so won't be giving AMT just for the sake. I've mailed Ford customer care team regarding providing automatics in both petrol and diesel and the reply was that they have passed on the information to the core team. One of my friend also told me that they might bring automatic in updated Figo and Aspire and not in Freestyle. I hope they do in freestyle as well. Ford, are you listening?
If majority of driving is on highways why do you prefer an automatic ? You can well go for Manual diesel cars.
Since she is already driving M800 nothing can beat(except Nano/Beat Diesel/Celerio Diesel) its FE even if you take present generation diesels.
Do an analysis before you buy a new car. In present day retail price difference between Petrol and Diesel is less than Rs 9.

Figo and Aspire already have Automatic option.
Not in Diesel.

A thread I'm searching for!

I'm looking out for a car for my wife which we intend to buy in next 5-6 months. She travel 90 kms daily on M800 and now that the car is about to complete it's 15 years, the fuel she gallops is quite a concern for us. We're thinking for an automatic and AMT is what our budget permits. Kwid, Datson redigo and tiago.

However, since the kms she cover is quite a lot, petrol doesn't make any sense. I also took the TD of freestyle and was shocked to see the price of its base model. Quite a VFM vehicle. I was in love with that car since I took its TD. But my wife prefers automatic any day over manual. Someone also suggested us not to go for an AMT as it's not reliable for long distance travels? Is it true?

Please advice.
Please check Honda Amaze diesel CVT. This is current diesel automatic with CVT. The AMT is not as good as a torque converter nor a CVT. If you select manual check the clutch travel and smoothness.

With petrol @90 Rs & diesel at Rs 80, now a days diesel is justified only if your running is 30 kkm or more per year. And remember, most of the OE warranties are expiring @1L km. So if you keep car for more than 1 L km you will have to bear the expenses past 1 L km.

Thread Starter #297
With petrol @90 Rs & diesel at Rs 80, now a days diesel is justified only if your running is 30 kkm or more per year. And remember, most of the OE warranties are expiring @1L km. So if you keep car for more than 1 L km you will have to bear the expenses past 1 L km.
I agree, things have changed over the years but still, a premium over petrol does not make sense unless you are running more than 28k to 32k KMs Y-o-Y.

OR

If you are making the entire payment in one shot than it is ok.

However, I will personally advise avoiding heavy purchases direct or over EMI now a days. Let the vaccine be there.

Thread Starter #299
While calculating one needs to compare Brand new petrol car vs sparingly used diesel car in OE warranty.
True. One must focus on the requirement before anything else. Once frozen on the need, people must factor variant or version of the car/vehicle and fuel type comes at the last or probably at the second last stage - full payment vs loan.

Top Bottom