The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Two friends recently changed over to Diesel from Petrol. One from a Santro to a Dzire and the other from an Esteem to a Figo. The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month. That's a saving of about 10-11k which is more or less the EMI for the new car.
Peter, didn't quite get your point. Unless I have lost something while reading.

Do you mean to say that changing from Santro to Dzire saved cost @ 10k? Also was the new car's price taken into consideration?

Peter, didn't quite get your point. Unless I have lost something while reading.

Do you mean to say that changing from Santro to Dzire saved cost @ 10k? Also was the new car's price taken into consideration?
The fuel cost using the Santro was around 15K per month. The fuel cost for the same running was 5K with the Dzire. That's a saving of 10K on fuel bills. 10K per month more or less takes care of a 5 Lakh loan.

The fuel cost using the Santro was around 15K per month. The fuel cost for the same running was 5K with the Dzire. That's a saving of 10K on fuel bills. 10K per month more or less takes care of a 5 Lakh loan.
So here is my question. I am driving i10 auto currently and my fuel bills are @ INR 7000 per month for 1000 kms a month.

If I sell my car and buy,
1. Diesel car like vista what would be my savings?
2. I buy a alto k10 what would be my savings?
3. Should I continue using my i10 auto, am I saving here??

Shailinder, please put your calculator to work. I don't want to sell my car (actually I am keeping this car for my dad, but for sake of example assume I am selling it).

So which one does really make sense. Assume I would be buying a car in cash.

Hi.. i think there is not as big advantage as mentioned. Posting some working, savings are significant though and surely worth a change for that sort of usage.

I have assumed Petrol prices before last hike and mileage is indicative in city driving. [:)]

Attachments

Hi.. i think there is not as big advantage as mentioned. Posting some working, savings are significant though and surely worth a change for that sort of usage.

I have assumed Petrol prices before last hike and mileage is indicative in city driving. [:)]
I have not done the calculations but just mentioned what was told. Of course the car will have to be used for a few months and the costs averaged out to get a clearer picture.

So here is my question. I am driving i10 auto currently and my fuel bills are @ INR 7000 per month for 1000 kms a month.

If I sell my car and buy,
1. Diesel car like vista what would be my savings?
2. I buy a alto k10 what would be my savings?
3. Should I continue using my i10 auto, am I saving here??

Shailinder, please put your calculator to work.
Hi Amit

Here is my piece of working.

In addition, you must consider the addition maintenance costs & additional EMI + Interest for the 1 Lakh you invest on a Diesel Car. IMO, even after considering those, the saving would be substantial.

Attachments

Thanks Figoian for the calculations. Mileage of my car is 12 km/l in City. Also I will buy a car in cash and not on EMI. So considering these factors and maintainance costs, which one would be a practical choice?

My comments are in Bold Italic.

Mileage of my car is 12 km/l in City.

Just 12? Surprising... [surprise] Hyundai claims it to be 20+ and I thought you may get at least 16.

Also I will buy a car in cash and not on EMI.

Thats cool. So you don't pay more interest on extra money.

So considering these factors and maintainance costs, which one would be a practical choice?

Then the wise choice would be Diesel, whichever the car it maybe.

Don't forget - He is using Hyundai i10 Automatic Transmission.

Drive Safe,
350Z
That's correct. I own i10 auto. The comfort is unmatched, but the mileage is low. My expenses towards petrol are 7000 INR per month. Also I know many i10 manual owners, whose mileage in city is lesser than my i10 auto.

Would it be wise to spend 6 lacs on new car to save 4000 INR per month? or if its petrol car like alto k10, 4 lacs to save 3500 INR per month, taking into consideration ONLY increased petrol costs.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
@ Amiti,

Well friend, you have yourself answered your question in the above post. Just to save Rs.4000/- or Rs. 3500/- per month you should not buy another car. Because a new car also means, maintenance + annual insurance bill. So A BIG NO.

But see the benefits on the other hand, you would be giving current i10 to your father so either he does not have any car or would be replacing it with your i10 Auto. Right!

Secondly, how is going bear the fuel expense of your new car and old i10 ? If you are going bear then you should calculate keeping that in mind and see you break even point.

I can calculate for you but give all details you think are relevant (I might ask details from you if required but later). I will see to it and probably will be able to assist you.

@ Amiti,

Well friend, you have yourself answered your question in the above post. Just to save Rs.4000/- or Rs. 3500/- per month you should not buy another car. Because a new car also means, maintenance + annual insurance bill. So A BIG NO.

But see the benefits on the other hand, you would be giving current i10 to your father so either he does not have any car or would be replacing it with your i10 Auto. Right!

Secondly, how is going bear the fuel expense of your new car and old i10 ? If you are going bear then you should calculate keeping that in mind and see you break even point.

I can calculate for you but give all details you think are relevant (I might ask details from you if required but later). I will see to it and probably will be able to assist you.
Thanks Shailinder. My i10 auto will be used by Dad. He does not have any other car.

I will be bearing the cost of fuel for the car I will be using and Dad will bear the expenses of fuel for the car he will be using( in his case it's the i10).

I will give you exact details later.

Thread Starter #43
Great to note that.

Amiti, change your signature if you can. Used Octi would not give any peace of mind. Though it was and still is a great car. Used car would bring aging problem with it and my friend Skoda cars and there maintenance is not easy if you have a light wallet (just kidding). Used hatch would make more sense IMHO.

Waiting for details.

Great to note that.

Amiti, change your signature if you can. Used Octi would not give any peace of mind. Though it was and still is a great car. Used car would bring aging problem with it and my friend Skoda cars and there maintenance is not easy if you have a light wallet (just kidding). Used hatch would make more sense IMHO.

Waiting for details.
Changed my signature mate.

Regarding Octi, you are correct. Saw 3 cars y'day, none seems to fit my bill.

I always have a light wallet on cars since they are depreciating asset (liability when you see service bills or change parts). But while buying a car I always buy it in cash.

My Driving style -- A safe driver, never goes above 100 even on Pune Mumbai e-way. At the same time like to crunch miles and like powerful cars.
My Monthly running --@1100 kms per month and occasional outings included.I have done 28k kms in 2 years exact.
Fuel (read petrol)cost for me are between 7000 - 8000 INR per month.

Current scenario -- Dad has liked my i10 and now he hijacks it quite often. Well I only wanted that to happen as he also likes driving.
I do take care of my car properly.

Solution --
1. Keep sharing my car with my dad. I can do it, not much of a problem I guess, only petrol costs of around 7-8k per month.
2. Being an automatic i10, it is thirsty and gives 12 km/l in city. Hence thought of giving that car to my dad. Dad won't be driving so much.
3. Buy alto k10 to save that extra cash on fuel bills. I don't want a car for any status kind of thing. Initial cost will be less
4. Buy a diesel hatch or indigo ecs to save little extra cash on fuel bills. Initial cost will be little more.
5. Do not buy anything and do as written in point 1 for at least 1-2 years. No cost at all

So out of options which looks good? 3, 4, 5? OR any other? Shailinder please let me know if you need more details.

Solution --
1. Keep sharing my car with my dad. I can do it, not much of a problem I guess, only petrol costs of around 7-8k per month.
Amit: Sorry to pitchin... Hope you & Shailendra wouldn't mind.[;)]

Assuming, you choose to stay as it is (Point 1), you will also need to calcuate the Fuel Bills for the next 2 years, which is 7-8K today and a substantial increase as per the recent Hike Trend. The maths which I worked out earlier for you will get you an approximate number/month.

Now, what you should calculate is, the difference between the Fuel Bills (as above) and the new investment. Then you have the answer.[thumbsup]

Top Bottom