The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Excellent work Shailinder. A well deserved 5 stars to this thread. I hope our members especially ones in dilemma are benefited by your effort.

hey buddy great work kudos! choosing between petrol and diesel is most common thing new car buyers are confused about thesedays!!

For reaching at par to the petrol car's ownership cost a diesel car should run around 40000 km. After this point diesel car will have high maintenance costs when petrol car is free of maintenance upto 100000 km. So buy a diesel car only if you are going to use it more than 150000 km or above

Thread Starter #20
hey buddy great work kudos! choosing between petrol and diesel is most common thing new car buyers are confused about thesedays!!
Thanks Umang. In fact that was the exact idea behind creating this sheet.

For reaching at par to the petrol car's ownership cost a diesel car should run around 40000 km. After this point diesel car will have high maintenance costs when petrol car is free of maintenance upto 100000 km. So buy a diesel car only if you are going to use it more than 150000 km or above
You are right Vivian to some extent.

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback

Because by paying 1 lakh extra and interest on EMI (if opted) would help them buy a higher version. FOOD for thought !
Excellent Tool Shailender.

Agree with your above point. However, one cant be sure that when the running would increase. In case, it may increase from 30 to 60 KMs per day, then investing on Diesel car isnt waste.

The other point is, if you compare the price hike trend between P & D, D wins. The probablity of hike in Diesel price is at least 1:5 of Petrol.

Thanks Shailender for a useful tool. Such working really helps.

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]

Attachments

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]
Hi, very useful sheet. other ppl can also make this when choosing for most economical car !

Thread Starter #27

Great work Monil. I am sure it is going to help people to calculate.

Hi, very useful sheet. other ppl can also make this when choosing for most economical car !
Absolutely. People should prepare such calculations based on their requirements and they would definitely get benefited by this.

Two friends recently changed over to Diesel from Petrol. One from a Santro to a Dzire and the other from an Esteem to a Figo. The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month. That's a saving of about 10-11k which is more or less the EMI for the new car.

Thread Starter #29
Great news Peter. I am sure your friends did some calculation and not just looked at the fuel prices blindly to make a decision.

Anyway, how much average they are getting ? Secondly, the savings you are referring to is virtual or hard ?

Last edited:

Top Bottom