The Current Best D-Segmenter in India?

Best D-Segment Car in India?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Let’s find out which is the most preferred D-Segment sedan in India currently. The choices are obviously limited, with Honda Accord leading the segment almost ever since it’s launch in country, for grand looks, sheer road presence, comfort, power and Honda badge, but with new entrants making their way in, the battle ground sure is heating up. Kindly cast your votes on basis of following factors, which a typical buyer would watch out for:

• Looks
  • Luxury
  • Performance
  • Running Costs
Honda Accord
Honda-Accord_LX-P_Sedan_2008_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Hyundai Sonata
Hyundai-Sonata_2009_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Skoda Superb
Skoda-Superb_2009_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

Volkswagen Passat
Volkswagen-Passat_Individual_Design_Package_2006_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Toyota Camry
Toyota-Camry_XLE_2007_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

If we are talking about Float-on-Air ride, accord takes the cake, but it wastes a very capable 3litre V6!!
My choice goes to superb. Anyday..Great TSI engine, sublime engine, best steering feedback. But looks are subjective. Still the enthusiast in me answers.....

Its just my eyes which calls for Honda Accord's best styling.

But my heart still lies with Skoda Superb for its sheer sophistication & performance.

The is no "none of these" option in this.

Honda Accord: i wont buy a car which is just 7/10 in all the aspects but not the best even in any one aspect. its handling & ride is mediocre, performance is average, no diesel, FE is average, everything except looks is just average!

Skoda Superb: fantastic car, truly awesome. but its a skoda, i dont wanna test my luck & patience!

Toyota Camry: again looks & feels outdated & boring in front of the other contenders. no features too.

Volkswagen Passat: again awesome car. but how many VW dealers do we have?

Hyundai Sonata Transform: fantastic car but its a hyundai. at this price, brand value matters.

all said & done, in this price range i would buy the passat since its cool & feature loaded. camry & accord does not have a diesel engine, superb is out of question & sonata does not have that exclusiveness!

btw, the sonata costs much much lesser than the other 4 cars, so its unfair for the sonata. the sonata is priced closer to the jetta & laura rather than the passat & superb. in that range, the sonata would be my pick.

[*] Looks Honda followed by the Skoda and VW. Passat looks a bit dated.
[*] Luxury The Superb wins hands down, followed by the Honda.
[*] Performance The Superb, undoubtedly.
[*] Running Costs This is the only place where the Hyundai scores. Honda comes next.

-Honda resale the best.
-Skoda AfSS doubtful
-Sonata lacks character.

+1 to what RAjeev says. I'm not voting.

@ Raj Even Passat does not have a diesel heart , add that also to its negatives!

Looks: I would prefer the Accord for looks followed by Passat and Superb. Camry is outdated!!

Luxury: I think more or less all the above cars are equally luxurious!

Performance: Superb anyday!

Maintenance: Sonata takes a lead but lacks the brand value. So i would next pick the Passat here followed by Camry and then finally Superb!

I cant decide a winner all the cars are equally good but none captures my heart! Accord , Passat , Camry does not have diesel mills and Superb is backed up by Skoda's poor A.S.S. I don think there are any other competitors available other than these! If its a car for me i would choose the diesel mill in superb but in general point of view i think the Accord is a good car overall!

Considering the highlighted aspects in this order: Performance>Luxury>looks>running costs I think its the Superb. It has got all those features which we call luxury, best in-class rear seat comfort and leg room, awesome mill at work, well planted at three digit speeds,great quality bits, just to mention a few. But I think the ASS can be really cumbersome with SKoda as their Dealers are consistently stealing smiles off theirs customers faces [frustration]

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
Pictures added in the opening post for better comparison and viewing pleasure.

Drive Safe,
350Z

it has to be the Superb for me since it is Superb in most ways! But if not the Superb, then the Accord would do which is also Superb but not as good as a Superb. LOL

In this segment, even my final choice would be Superb. Though Honda Accord as well as VW Passat also have good road presence, but Superb steals the show.
I don't know how so much 'Hungama' over A.S.S doesn't affect Superb's sales, it continues to dominate this segment.

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
The poll results are a little unexpected for me; It seems that charm for Honda Accord in our country is eventually coming down. Indeed, Skoda Superb is a superb product but lacks that “excitement” which one could find in an Accord. Quite simply, one car can not be perfect for all but the sporty blend of luxury and power which Accord satisfies in almost all aspects, probably one can not find it other mentioned models, also needless to say that V6 is ace of the pack, but the only gripe remains is that V6 versions of both the models (Accord & Superb) are priced at Mercedes and BMW territory, where brand image also matters equally as rightly said by Raj.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom