The Concept of Making Sedans from Hatchbacks

Do you prefer sedans out from a hatchback?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
From the recent past, Indian automotive market is observing a unique trend of so called new sedans which are actually derived from their hatchback counterparts or may be in some cases, vice versa. The saga began with Tata Indigo which was primarily an Indica with additional boot stuck on it. Soon after, Maruti Suzuki copied the idea and surprised everyone with the launch of Swift Dzire and the story now continues. The success of this concept has grown on almost every mass-seller that they could not resist to try it out, hence making it end up nothing but as a trend in the industry. While this concept is very cost-effective method for manufacturers and also nice option for the entry level sedan buyers to purchase sedans at much affordable prices, however, this trend is now spreading like a disease that even proper C-Segment sedans now bear the same look. The latest examples being: Volkswagen Vento and upcoming Skoda Rapid. Do you personally support this idea of making a sedan out from a hatchback? Or do you feel that it should have been limited to entry level sedans only? Please don’t miss to cast the vote and voice your opinion here.

l_4268.jpg

tata-indigo-manza-1667.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Voted, I support this concept.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that. IMO Moreover to that the sedans which are made on the base hatchback are less costly. Manufacturers saves a lot on the engineering as more than 80 % of the vehicle parts are already developed, including the power house and transmission.
Also the customer gets the two choices for the car of his liking based on the budget.
Interchangeability of the parts is another added advantage.

no! all of them look ugly man!! [pig]
My dear friend, Looks are always Subjective, what according to you is Ugly?

Is Vista/Manaza a ugly car?
So the Liva/Etios?
Swift/Dzire?
Indica/Indigo/Marina?
Polo/Vento?
Punto/Linea?

So all those who bought those sedans don't have any sense of looks?And all those designers are of no value?

From the company point of view it should be as it saves a lot of RnD cost.
But from buyers perspective I dont like this. The 'feeling' (image point of view) of sedan is not these in these kind of cars. Otherwise its ok.

From the company point of view it should be as it saves a lot of RnD cost.
But from buyers perspective I dont like this. The 'feeling' (image point of view) of sedan is not these in these kind of cars. Otherwise its ok.
Can you elaborate more on this? I am not getting what you mean to say?

Prior to that let me clear, the cost saved in R&d is always passed on to customer, and that's why these Sedans cost less then independent Sedans.
for. E.g Compare
Dzire and SX4

i support it quite a lot. carmakers save tons of money by using the structure of hatchbacks but Dzire/Swift is bad outcome. Sunny/Micra is a nice combo.

Interesting article. I am not sure I will go with it and will tell you why.

I believe the reason why manufacturers take this route is because of intense competition and the urge to put a new model in the market as early as possible - they do not want to reinvent the wheel. So the question they ask is - What is the easiest way to put a new model in the market? Take the hatchback - add a trunk, put in a couple of luxury features and hey! you get a new sedan!
Manufacturers simply do not want to go back to the drawing board nowadays esp in India.
The problem here is, this new sedan - because it's a hybrid from the hatchback still looks like the hatch. The 'awe' factor is missing in the sedan and there was always small things in the interior like the plastics which is carried over to the sedan.

I can vouch for this because I have a Vento and my neighbour has a Polo. Whenever he
sits in my car - he would always exclaim! Oh that looks familiar! I have the same stuff in my car too!!

Remember when Toyota introduced the Lexus - the ES model resembled so much like the Camry. When it became too obvious - Lexus started tinkering with the exterior almost every year and nowadays the ES has its unique design.

It was atleast acceptable if car makers derived their sedans from the hatchbacks. But they don't stop here. Since the hatchback was designed with a budget in mind - lower quality materials went into the car. Now when they expanded it into a sedan - car makers are tempted to use some of the same materials (wherever possible) in the sedan too and thus lowering the overall quality of the sedan

I support this idea. In fact the Siena was the first car from this concept launched in India. I was later joined by its sibling the Palio.

Not discounting the practicalities of creating a sedan from a hatch back, I feel that sedans should remain sedans and hatches should remain hatches. We have such good sedans like City, Cruze etc which justify that sedans should be different. But again to create a market segment to cater to people just upgrading to a sedan, this is required.

I support this. Most of the cars look good with the boot added. Personally, (no offense meant to Dezire owners), the only converted sedan that looks ugly is Dezire.

Can you elaborate more on this? I am not getting what you mean to say?
I am talking about status symbol which is related to mentality of a typical or may be most of the buyers. Separation from Hatchback class is what gives it. And the cars which are hatchback-sedan pair lacks in this.

For me, personally, status symbol is the last thing on my mind when I buy a car.

For me, as I drive my cars myself, driveabllity, comfort, features that are useful to me and my family, cost, maintenance, and if I can afford to run that car as per my usage (FE) are more important.

When I see the thousands of people who are not owning a car, I just thank God that he has given me this privilege. I don't want to compete with anybody who has a costlier car for the sake of status symbol.

I was pretty happy with both my zen hatchbacks till a boot became a necessity.

Interesting article. I am not sure I will go with it and will tell you why.

I believe the reason why manufacturers take this route is because of intense competition and the urge to put a new model in the market as early as possible - they do not want to reinvent the wheel. So the question they ask is - What is the easiest way to put a new model in the market? Take the hatchback - add a trunk, put in a couple of luxury features and hey! you get a new sedan!
Manufacturers simply do not want to go back to the drawing board nowadays esp in India.
The problem here is, this new sedan - because it's a hybrid from the hatchback still looks like the hatch. The 'awe' factor is missing in the sedan and there was always small things in the interior like the plastics which is carried over to the sedan.

I can vouch for this because I have a Vento and my neighbour has a Polo. Whenever he
sits in my car - he would always exclaim! Oh that looks familiar! I have the same stuff in my car too!!

Remember when Toyota introduced the Lexus - the ES model resembled so much like the Camry. When it became too obvious - Lexus started tinkering with the exterior almost every year and nowadays the ES has its unique design.

It was atleast acceptable if car makers derived their sedans from the hatchbacks. But they don't stop here. Since the hatchback was designed with a budget in mind - lower quality materials went into the car. Now when they expanded it into a sedan - car makers are tempted to use some of the same materials (wherever possible) in the sedan too and thus lowering the overall quality of the sedan
From your post above, it seems that according to you-

Sedans are always made up with quality material and they are always costly, while Hatchbacks are always made up of low quality material and they are cheaper.
It may be your feeling since you own a sedan.
Hatchbacks are more popular because of the convenience of their size.
Parking, drive ability etc.

No hatchback is cheaper or less costly- Compare the prices of top model Hatchbacks like I20, Polo, Punto, Jazz, Swift,Figo, Vista they start from 6.75 L and goes up to 8.75 L (I am talking about diesel). You can definately buy a Sedan within that range at least a mid trim.

BTW, as you are not comfortable about those sedans which are based on hatchbacks, what was the reason you bought one of them?

Why don't you went for Passat? Instead of Vento? or any other stand alone Sedan?

Top Bottom