The Automotive India Car Of The Year 2017: Your Voice. Your Choice.

The Automotive India Car Of The Year 2017 Award Goes To...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted for Tata Nexon for the following reasons:
1. Right product for the right market : The Compact SUV segment is now the hottest segment, and has a lot of market interest. The Jeep, and the Hexa are also great cars, but the segment is not the most popular one.
2. Right pricing : Tata has got it right in terms of pricing and the VFM.
3. Engines: Tata has made sure that they give the maximum possible outputs from the engines while sticking to the 1.2 and 1.5 lt engine capacity regulations. In terms of the regulations, the Nexon offers the maximum space, power and value.

Other Contenders:

Tata Hexa: Great offering, and would have been the next choice had it not been for the Nexon. The Hexa has a limited market and is not a great option for the city and thus would take more time to return the R&D costs. Even though its a great product, I feel its not the right product for many people in the Indian market.

Jeep Compass: A savior for FCA, this one is finally changing the fate for Fiat. The pricing is bang on, but lack of diesel automatic, and 4x4 only on the top end version are somethings Jeep should improve on.

Hyundai Verna: Finally some competition for the Honda City, and special thanks to Honda, for making the Verna look much more value for money. The new Elantra platform is much better and the feature additions make it on par with the segment. The refined and powerful engines are moving the car ahead of the segment.

Maruti Dzire: Great car, and record sales say a lot about how much its loved in the market. It is selling great numbers, but still, I feel a new engine and a turbo petrol was something that is needed to get it a vote.

Maruti Ignis: Another case of old wine in a new bottle. Yes, the looks are refreshed and quirky, but was expecting Maruti to do more in terms of new engines and mechanicals. Thinking from Maruti's side, why fix something which is not broken, and yes , they are right, the strategy works. Still, lack of innovation in my opinion.

Tata Tigor: Under powered engines are a big turn off for the otherwise great looking car. They should bring the Nexon engines into the Tigor, to make it leap ahead of the rest of the segment. A great feat by Tata to get the Electric Tigor rolling on time.

Did not find the others enough value for money, or suitable for the Indian market, so didnt vote.

Well, It was avery close call between the two step sisters, and eventually the indian sis won.
I was torn between the two wonderful cars, Jeep compass and the Nexon. I felt the Nexon deserves the credit more because, it came in crowded segment and seems to have carved out a niche for itself.

Hexa and Dzire too were in my consideration, Dzire ruled out because i was not happy with the buiuld quality, the exteriors and interior were very good though, as with Hexa, too, my favourite vehicle which I want to buy in future, but still felt that, nexon and compass trumped it.

for me the order was,
1. Nexon,
2. Compass
3. Hexa
4. Dzire, Tigor
5. Rest of the cars

Voted for TATA Tigor after using it for 3 months and 7068 Kms including two trips of 2212 and 1211 kms.

• Fuel Efficiency - On highways I once got 28.2 Kmpl otherwise 22 - 23 kmpl is cakewalk. City gives 18.6 KMPL to be precise.

• Value For Money - Other brands with same features are 80 K to 1.25 Lakhs more

• Looks and Design - A bit futuristic , head turner.

• Safety and Security - Weight of the car and built speaks well, it actually needs efforts to lift the bonnet. No tin sheet intended like Dzire and Baleno.

• Comfort and Features - Comfortable to the core, only thing missing is the center arm rest, miss it so much. automatic AC, Reverse camera, auto lock, airbags, ABS+EBD, you name it and its there in this price segment.

• Engine and Performance - Feels a bit under power (one can definitely live with it), only when fully loaded. i.e 4 full size adult

• Brand image and after-sales support - Good image keeping in mind all vehicles in three defence and other para military forces use this Brand, ASS - old perception of ASS is still haunting customers though the brand is trying a lot in ASS areas.
Other Contenders
KODIAQ

HEXA
NEXON

Extremely difficult to choose this year. 3 extremely good cars for the masses comes into the picture for me. Compass, Nexon and Hexa. Though I voted for Compass, Nexon was a close 2nd, being exteremly Value for money and compact. Just with the perfect looks, the Jeep seals it.

i voted for Compass only because FCA dared to bring out a new product amidst poor reputation and dire predictions. And so far, it has worked. To carve out a brand appeal in the circumstances is great. All they need to do now is to sustain quality of product and service and replicate it in other cars like Renegade etc.

I have voted for the Hyundai Verna since I own one now and have driven it for around 600-650 kms. An amazing vehicle and haven't had any issues so far. The diesel engine amazes me everytime with its refinement and power. If I could vote atleast once more Tata Nexon would be my pick. Excellent car for the price and is totally VFM.

Voted for the Tata Nexon.

I was in a dilemma to choose between Nexon and Hexa. Nexon is really a VFM vehicle for the features and comfort it offers in the price range. Also Tata Hexa is also a very good vehicle. As far as its suspension and ride quality is concerned, it is a class apart and far superior than vehicles at its price range. If hexa was released before we got the XUV then it would have surely been the hexa.

Last but not the least, Tata Tigor is also a competitive product in its price tag. Tata tried to create a new class of vehicles like how it create the CS with its Tata Indigo. The only let down in the Tigor was it mediocre engine. Everything else is fantastic.

for me the order was,
1. Nexon,
2. Hexa
3. Compass
4. Tigor
5. Verna

Last edited:
Tata Nexon hands down followed by Tata Hexa in second place.
From where tata have started to now their offerings on all their passenger vehicles these are the best lots coming from them and i wish this continues ahead.

I have voted for TATA NEXON.

Although TATA would have added a AWD variant and ESP in all variant to fill up the gap against the strongest contender Ford EcoSport.

Voted for Jeep Compass, for the brutal power and cool automatic. Macho looks and super interior is the highlight too :)

Top Bottom