The Architect of 'White Revolution' - Dr. Verghese Kurien

Thread Starter #1
Dr. Verghese Kurien, father of White Revolution in India is the founder of Amul.

He lead the 'Operation Flood', which transformed India from a milk deficient country to the world's largest producer of milk.

He was appointed as the first Chairman of the NDDB (National Diary Development Board) and served for 33 years which replicated the Amul model across the country.

Amul in Gujarat; Nandini in Karnataka; Aavin in Tamil Nadu; Milma in Kerala etc.

He has won several awards and recognitions:
Indian Goverment conferred Padma Vibhushan.
Krishi Ratna award.
Recipient of World Food Prize.
Ramon Magsaysay award for community leadership.
Carniege-Wateler World Peace Prize and International Person of the Year award from US.

Born in Kozhikode district of Kerala on November 26, 1921

Graduated in Science from Loyola College in Chennai in 1940.
Obtained his Engineering degree from Guindy College of Engineering Chennai.
Joined TATA Steel (then TISCO), Jamshedpur.
Left after a short stint when he got a scholarship to study Dairy Engineering.
Got training at Imperial Institute of Animal Husbandry and Dairying in Bangalore.
Completed his Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering with Dairy Engineering as a minor subject in 1948 from Michigan State University of United States.

Passed away this morning (9th Sept 2012) at the age of 90.

My respect to this man for the great endeavors he did .
I did 1 documentary for amul , that's when I knew the entire history of his .
Truly a brilliant man who added tremendous value to the country with his knowledge and wisdom .

Dr kuriean R.I.P

Last edited:
his brilliance was that he not only gave us ample milk but changed the living standards of millions of indians by setting up milk co operatives which gave the farmers good value for their milk. may his soul rest in peace.

Top Bottom