The 1986 Premier Padmini Deluxe

I bought a used Apollo Amazer 175 mm from a friend, for Rs. 500, hope it fits Padmini.
Used? That too one tire?
Tires are one of the safety critical part in any vehicle and replacement as a set (of 4) is recommended always. If not settle for at least a pair. Single different tire MAY take you across several parts failure.

My exhaust which is already having four to five leaks on pipe, is exhaling white smoke, somewhat like steam, very little while running and a lot of it when revved in neutral or clutch pressed. I guess it to be a faulty cylinder head gasket, can it be any other issue other than that?
The S1 has a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and try to retain the same. Looks for an exhaust pipe of S1 only and retain the sweet roar of S1. Guess your sparkplugs have a coat of soot due the oil getting inside the combustions chamber. Could due to worn out valve stem seals or worn out piston rings. Faulty head gasket would let water mix in oil & you can find oil traces in radiator coolant. Please check both. Since S1 is a simple push rod engine & the engine is also less run, you can your friend can pull down the head and take it to a repair shop and get the seals redone. I think PP head doesn't have a rubber seal. And for changing the piston rings, go for standard size again. With the car jacked up & engine oil drained, remove the head and sump gasket. Unbolt the connecting rod from sump side and pull the piston + connecting from top side. replace the rings and drop them back in the same manner. Do this 1 cylinder after another. Before closing the head leave 2-3 spoons of engine oil inside the cylinder and put things back in place. This is an easy job for you. Using a slip gauge check the ring clearances as recommended by workshop manuals.

I bought a used Apollo Amazer 175 mm from a friend, for Rs. 500, hope it fits Padmini.
What is the tyre size? 175 profile will be hard to steer. Use them for the rear wheels instead.

We have a Gypsy Carburetor with us, unused, any possibilities of plonking it on the existing intake manifold. What Jets should I use for the carb if I use another carburetor?
No idea about the Gypsy carburetor. I think it is a side draught carburetor. Else you may try a Maruti zen carb with an adaptor. Attached are some pictures of my friend's S1 which has Zen carb adapted. He is happy with respect to starting, acceleration, though he hasn't tested top speed. Took him 3 hours to do the swap with all parts available with him. Fuel consumption with bottle turned out like 18kmpl, though I presume 15kmopl to be practical. He didn't go through any jet adjustments or changes. Just used the Zen carb as it is.

Attachments

It was a glory of its time (though Amby was superior than it by every inch!).
I also remember that there is a Tamil Movie just about this car only, IIRC, its name is 'Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum'. It was one nice movie and the car had many auxiliary lamps and a Light Blu-ish Green colour in the last scene!

Thread Starter #34
Used? That too one tire?
Tires are one of the safety critical part in any vehicle and replacement as a set (of 4) is recommended always. If not settle for at least a pair. Single different tire MAY take you across several parts failure.
The tire is not much used and is in decent condition as I bought it from a close friend. It is most likely to be used as Spare Tyre once I get a new set.

The S1 has a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and try to retain the same. Looks for an exhaust pipe of S1 only and retain the sweet roar of S1. Guess your sparkplugs have a coat of soot due the oil getting inside the combustions chamber. Could due to worn out valve stem seals or worn out piston rings. Faulty head gasket would let water mix in oil & you can find oil traces in radiator coolant. Please check both. Since S1 is a simple push rod engine & the engine is also less run, you can your friend can pull down the head and take it to a repair shop and get the seals redone. I think PP head doesn't have a rubber seal. And for changing the piston rings, go for standard size again. With the car jacked up & engine oil drained, remove the head and sump gasket. Unbolt the connecting rod from sump side and pull the piston + connecting from top side. replace the rings and drop them back in the same manner. Do this 1 cylinder after another. Before closing the head leave 2-3 spoons of engine oil inside the cylinder and put things back in place. This is an easy job for you. Using a slip gauge check the ring clearances as recommended by workshop manuals.

What is the tyre size? 175 profile will be hard to steer. Use them for the rear wheels instead.

No idea about the Gypsy carburetor. I think it is a side draught carburetor. Else you may try a Maruti zen carb with an adaptor. Attached are some pictures of my friend's S1 which has Zen carb adapted. He is happy with respect to starting, acceleration, though he hasn't tested top speed. Took him 3 hours to do the swap with all parts available with him. Fuel consumption with bottle turned out like 18kmpl, though I presume 15kmopl to be practical. He didn't go through any jet adjustments or changes. Just used the Zen carb as it is.
Thankyou very very much sir, Pics are very helpful, Can I get the adapter directly from market or it should be custom made?
The 175/65 Tyre is currently used on rear wheel with factory fitted Tyre on opposite side, The car is usually parked most of the time. Will get proper upgrades once I get time as well as Vitamin 'M'. Again thanks a lot, your reply was very helpful.

It was a glory of its time (though Amby was superior than it by every inch!).
I also remember that there is a Tamil Movie just about this car only, IIRC, its name is 'Pannaiyaarum Padminiyum'. It was one nice movie and the car had many auxiliary lamps and a Light Blu-ish Green colour in the last scene!
Yeah, indeed it was. What I heard from my dad is it was kinda young guys car and Amy, the mature one.

Thankyou very very much sir, Pics are very helpful, Can I get the adapter directly from market or it should be custom made?
Most welcome. I got the adaptor made from a CNC machine shop near my residence. Paid Rs1300/- for the material + machining. The 6 studs might cost another Rs50/-. Can get you one made, the day you want to go the Mikuni way.

Thread Starter #36
Most welcome. I got the adaptor made from a CNC machine shop near my residence. Paid Rs1300/- for the material + machining. The 6 studs might cost another Rs50/-. Can get you one made, the day you want to go the Mikuni way.
Thanks again sir, I will contact you once I get the Carburetor from my friend. You are like encyclopedia for we noobs to automobiles. :)

Thread Starter #37
As of now , what we have done to car is as follows:
Tyres - 175/70R14 Rear and 165/80/R14 front
Alternator upgrade from the conventional Dyanmo.
Castrol GTX 20W50 engine oil.
Worked on the wiring and got almost 90% of the lights in working condition.
Rear brake hose replaced with OEM one.
Next thing we are planning is a DIY free flow exhaust. We would also be giving it a custom paintjob which would obviously be a DIY.
pp1.jpg
Here are some pics of the car...
pp2.jpg
Also I want to know if there is any way to unclog the greasing valves. They are filled with sludge all over.
Thanks in Advance,
Rahul Moshal

Subscribed to this thread!
Waiting for more updates.
And try if you can paint the original Metallic Peacock Blue-green color. It will restore its own charm.

Thread Starter #39
Hi,
Due to very tight schedule of Mine I barely get to work on this car, I would soon be upgrading the carburetor though. Will post some more pics of the baby and the jobs done on it, completely DIY.

Hey bro, great to see you guys choosing a classic.This thread reminds me of my dads ride. He owns a 137D ,Diesel from 1994. Its a beauty to look at, a chariot to drive. He occasionally allows me to ride his car, and man those are the best occasions. He has done around 3.5lakh kms with his car and wow these cars are built like a tank.

Attachments

Hey bro, great to see you guys choosing a classic.This thread reminds me of my dads ride. He owns a 137D ,Diesel from 1994. Its a beauty to look at, a chariot to drive. He occasionally allows me to ride his car, and man those are the best occasions. He has done around 3.5lakh kms with his car and wow these cars are built like a tank.
Whether the engine is reworked or still its in Stock bore.

Awesome car, Rahulmoshal.I respect your decision on buying this blue beauty.[thumbsup]What is the best part you liked about the car? I liked all your DIYs on this car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #44
Thankyou very much, sorry for late replies, as I'm still a student I'm having budget constraints as well as very less time to work on car, still I'm trying my best to get it going by June this year and i believe with so much support from ''MOTO-Sapiens", I won't give up.

Awesome car, Rahulmoshal.I respect your decision on buying this blue beauty.[thumbsup]What is the best part you liked about the car? I liked all your DIYs on this car.
Thankyou sir, I always had that soft corner for these classic beauties, then be it cars or motorbikes, the best thing about this car is - It's totally mechanical, I couldn't spot a single plastic part :P (Literally).

Dear TAIns,
Sorry for keeping you all waiting, I will soon post the pics and details of work being done on car. Meanwhile got a MS Esteem as well, loving the ownership.

Top Bottom