Test Driven Tata Nano Ended in Minor Crash. Now Suggestion Required.

@Akash thank you for your reply.

Friends, now the story has been twisted. Now SA claims that the insurance for the vehicle is available but they don't want to use it since they will loose money while selling this vehicle as it will be recorded in service history.

Also they now claim that the vehicle's Air Conditioner compressor is being damaged I really don't know if that's true. SA accepted the rule that the company should bear the repair charges but if they go legally then he would loose money while selling it.

SA says that he can't do anything if I refuse to pay but he may loose the money in his salary. I'm really in a critical situation and I don't want him to be affected. I would have acted against if he threatens me but he is requesting for help so I'm considering to pay the money.

What is your suggestion friends.?
Your Query was on the rule,and the sales guy accepted it.
Its your wish to go after it or pay for the damage.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17
The SA is just making up stories go get you softened. The absolute responsibility of the TD vehicles is with dealerships only. Did your Dad sign any TD form before going for the TD? If yes, then that form might have some T&Cs for the TD. Get a copy of that form. If the accident happens out of neglect then the driver is under liability else he is not (for a TD vehicle, though it is very very hard to justify that the driver didn't drove with neglect.

freakdude.
Freakdude you are absolutely right, Yes I understand that he very well trying to console me. Regarding the TD, there was no document signed. I very upset the moment when he said that he might loose money in his salary. I don't know what to do, he is asking for 12k now.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Nano's A.C. compressor is at the rear. So how could it be damaged? (Am i wrong?)
It may very well be his trick to get money from you, or maybe he is right.
But 12k is too much.
Did the body of the car suffer any damage? What about the bike that was hit?

Last edited:
Freakdude you are absolutely right, Yes I understand that he very well trying to console me. Regarding the TD, there was no document signed. I very upset the moment when he said that he might loose money in his salary. I don't know what to do, he is asking for 12k now.
Wonderful!!! Since no docs/forms have been signed by your dad, all they would have is a copy of your dad'd licence. The dealer knows that he cannot force money out of you legally so he is playing cheesy on you now with all those stories. Stay firm but polite in all communications with the dealership and keep insisting that TD vehicles are insured which is a mandate and not the responsibility of the TD taking person.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #20
AFAIK, Nano's A.C. compressor is at the rear. So how could it be damaged? (Am i wrong?)
It may very well be his trick to get money from you, or maybe he is right.
But 12k is too much.
Hi, I asked SA the same question and he asked me to visit the service center and he will show it to me. I'm surprised.[surprise]. Searching now online to know about the Nano's Air Conditioner.

Nothings going to happen to the value of the car if the insurance is claimed. AND dont get sold on the compressor thing. If it was a '3 mtrs' crash as you claimed it to be, then I doubt even the bumper is damaged to a 'repair me please' state.

I think you should visit the showroom and look at the car personally with your Legal Advisor.

@Akash thank you for your reply.

Friends, now the story has been twisted. Now SA claims that the insurance for the vehicle is available but they don't want to use it since they will loose money while selling this vehicle as it will be recorded in service history.

Also they now claim that the vehicle's Air Conditioner compressor is being damaged I really don't know if that's true. SA accepted the rule that the company should bear the repair charges but if they go legally then he would loose money while selling it.

SA says that he can't do anything if I refuse to pay but he may loose the money in his salary. I'm really in a critical situation and I don't want him to be affected. I would have acted against if he threatens me but he is requesting for help so I'm considering to pay the money.

What is your suggestion friends.?
Can you share how much are they asking you to pay? If that is a big amount, I am adding a different option for you. See if it suits you.
If repaired/replaced the damaged part, are you willing to consider buying the same car? Since you know the service history of that car it should not matter & the cost can be adjusted in the price of the car.
Just a thought. [confused]

Hi, I asked SA the same question and he asked me to visit the service center and he will show it to me. I'm surprised.[surprise]. Searching now online to know about the Nano's Air Conditioner.
Ramesh why are you talking to these frauds?
why are you not mailing to the TATA officials with all the details?
Do it and you may receive a direct call from them.
The test drive vehicle must not be sold as a brand new one.
And if the vehicle used here is not a TD vehicle then also as per rules a car meant for sale must not be used as a TD vehicle.
It is the head ache of the dealer both wise,why do you bother.
Why are you favoring the SA?

The risk is always on the dealer on a test drive vehicle.

Thread Starter #24
Hello Friends,

The issue finally came to an end while I settled them by paying Rs.2000/-. People who doesn't want to know the conversation between me and SA, please skip to the next BOLD letters.

Finally, I came to know what exactly happened from the Sales Agent. On Wednesday couple of SA came to my home while one of SA is the one who got the TD vehicle. They started to demand money from me. I was very angry on them and started shouting. Then the agent called his team leader and gave the mobile to me.

The Team Leader(TL) was very sarcastic and I would have recorded the conversation if thats my mobile unfortunately he came on call over the Service Agent's Mobile phone. TL wanted me to bear 70% of the repair cost. I was laughing at him and said that he needs to refer the book to update his knowledge on rule where he can claim the insurance.

TL said the vehicle had no insurance, I started shouting at him and asked who's fault is that, he replied me sarcastic saying that my father didn't know how to drive the car and its his fault. I was really pissed off, said he is holding a proper licence from RTO, you are offending government on saying this. I told accidents are unfortunate and there is no intension on it. I said he can move this issue legally and we can move to police and then he would know what happens when someone mess with customer. TL hung up the moment I said police.

I gave the mobile to SA. SA said the vehicle had only 3rd party insurance. I was really annoyed and shouted at him to get out of my house. He said that I'm not decent where he acted very decent and hence he didn't want to disturb my father on the day when incident happened. He also said he would have got the money by threatening my dad on the day when incident occured. I laughed at him and said if thats the case then he can threaten him today and see if he manage to get out of my place.

The Service Agent started crying and literally he fell down at my feet begging for money. Said he is earning only 7k/month and the repair cost is 12k and he managed the service team to do it for 6K. He will loose his salary since its his fault where he got the vehicle for test drive which has no documents. Dealer would not support for the damage charges.

I then came to know what happened. I asked SA "So you got the vehicle which is not even registered for test drive". SA was very quite.

I gave Rs.2000/- and said this money is not for you, its for your family never involve in such activity again. If I send an email to TATA legal team he might loose the job. SA said he very well know that dealer wouldn't bear the charges but he took the vehicle for TD so that he can sell the vehicle and that could fetch some incentive. I warned him and said doing such activities could loose his job and its better to be paid less than jobless. He then walked away from my home.

Apologies for long story, I would like to narrate what happened so that it will be useful to my friends who run in to similar kind of issues in future.

My dear TAI friends, dealers register for TD on one vehicle and they use the same registeration for multiple vehicles. Now if a vehicle is hit/crashed then there is no way for them to get insurance claim. This incident clearly explains us that some vehicles which sold as new vehicles to customer might be used as TD vehicle once. Please be aware while taking a test drive and also please be aware while getting the delivery of a new vehicle. Please be aware and make sure that you inspect the vehicle throughly.

Thank you for all my TAI friends for pouring in your suggesstion. MODs you can now close this thread.

Thanks
Ramesh

Last edited:
Ramesh, as the problem is solved now you have to mail all the details and facts you came to know from the incident to TATA,because these things affect TATA's reputation.The mail will affect the dealer only not the SA.
Take care,and be happy that you joined the right community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ramesh, i must say you handled the case in a very matured way. It was indeed a blunderous act by the SA to have taken out an un-registered car for a TD. I am surprised how this guy managed to get the out-pass for taking the vehicle out of the showroom premises.
We are letting this thread remain open so that in a rare case some unfortunate soul lands into similar situation, he may continue the discussions here itself.

Thread Starter #27
Ramesh, i must say you handled the case in a very matured way. It was indeed a blunderous act by the SA to have taken out an un-registered car for a TD. I am surprised how this guy managed to get the out-pass for taking the vehicle out of the showroom premises.
We are letting this thread remain open so that in a rare case some unfortunate soul lands into similar situation, he may continue the discussions here itself.
@Akash, Thank you.!

Regarding the gatepass, Perhaps I guess that the dealer is letting out the vehicle on SA's risk. Dealer should be using the SAs as the worm used for fishing. This is really ridiculous. People(Customers) are really not aware and that too first time buyer is completely ignorant.

Note to all Dealers: Customers are not kids any more and they have the powerful source which is Internet. You can't play around and make everyone fools here. Remember, India is a emerging market in automotive industry and if you don't win customer's heart, then its better for you to be prepared to close shutters.

Last edited:
Its exactly how I thought it would be, I am sure the the team of SAs are using new cars ordered by someone else as test cars, that explains why my friends new VISTA was showing to have run 60kms at the time of delivery.
Your TD car may already have been registered in a customers name.
So, guys if you know your car has arrived at the dealer, then take the delivery ASAP, dont wait for "shubh-muhurat", or your car may end up as a test car for that period, if you cant do that the dont tell the SA that you will take the car in say, a week etc. Just keep saying you'll come tomorrow.

Regarding the gatepass, im sure the security guard is also getting a share from their commission.
Also, I would like to say that selling a nano is not easy nowadays, one of my friends worked as an SA in a local dealership here and the pressure on SAs is so much that if they aren't able sell a car then they are fired.

Ramesh, you did the right thing, by not paying 6k you made sure that the SA will not risk someone else's property in future, and by paying 2k you may have helped him a bit. After all he had done it to earn his living by trying to give you an experience of the car.

BTW The alto, spark, and i10 are very easy to drive vehicles which I recommend are the best for ladies and seniors. I think your dad may be having problem while backing up the RITZ as it does not have a wide rear glass.
Nano would have come in the same category if it had a power steering(which I think may be the reason why this accident happened).

I would say get a TD for one of those, but this time make sure to tell them to send a registered TD car. ;)

Last edited:
Ramesh, as the problem is solved now you have to mail all the details and facts you came to know from the incident to TATA,because these things affect TATA's reputation.
And tata will pay more attention towards such dealers.
Please do it for the common people who are planning to buy a car from that mentioned dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Ramesh
Your post is excellent-many will benefit from it-i own a Tata car-but also suspected that the car did not feel "showroom fresh" when i bought it-suspected the vehicle had been used as a test car,but then decided to leave things
I am not sure how one can identify such a lemon-i am sure they can tamper with the distance traveled gauge easily.
Perhaps some TAI experts could help with some pointers.
Hope someone from TML reads your post and does something-no marks for guessing why their sales figures are heading down.

Top Bottom