Tempo Traveller Test Drive

Great review and test report there ilango. Loved it. But one thing. Do you know how good it is to drive a tourist or commercial vehicle without a Badge in addition to the normal Driving licence? As good as driving without one. You hit someone and he claims for insurance, The whole money comes out of the Registered Owner's pocket.

I mean I see a lot of people make the same mistake and get into deep trouble in my line of work. You feel pity for them and want to help but you just can't. Just two weeks back, a guy, client of mine, lost his home through revenue recovery proceedings.

He had sold his Autorickshaw to a guy with no licence to drive a commercial vehicle(No badge) -On the way home after picking up the auto, the guy who bought the auto hits an old man who jumped in front of him. Not that he was driving rash. But he could not avoid the accident. -Old man goes forward with an insurance claim for Rs 2,00,000. -Insurance company defends themselves saying that the driver of the auto was not in possession of a badge and so its policy violation and hence they are not liable. -The guy who bought the auto does not even appear at court. -He was set ex-partie. -He need not worry except for the fine at the magistrate court amounting to some 2500-3000 rupees, since at the time of the accident the auto was still in my client's name. -My client made an agreement with the new owner after the accident mentioning the incident and setting the liability as the new owner's responsibility, -But that is of no value at the tribunal since my client was the owner at the time of the accident. Tribunal awards an amount of Rs.1,78,000 to the old man which will be paid by the Insurance company with a clause enabling them to recover the amount from the registered owner at the time of the accident. Since my client has no assets other than his house, the insurance company takes over the house through R.R proceedings. -My client had sold off the auto when he was already neck deep in debt and now he's pretty much left with an auto driver's job prospects plus a family of four to feed. He has a slim chance to recover the amount from the guy who he sold the auto to through civil proceedings, But that's another 5-6 or even more years at court and he's pretty much done with courts and procedure.

What I am trying to say is never drive a vehicle for which you have no licence alloted for. We never can be sure what might happen the next moment and no one can predict the magnitude of a mishap.

I hope my post was not disturbing and way OT, But I had to say this since I dont want to see any one here get into trouble. Hope I did not offend you.

Thread Starter #17
Yeah jalex what you said is 1000000% true.

Though i knew i was wrong , i asked my uncle , will that create any problem ?
His reply , drive , lets see!
also the temp of driving is always awake!!

I mention the same in first post , yeah i was illegal to drive.

TT is the best in class I would say.
We had a Temo Excel & I learned driving in that. Amazing pickup, never used 1st gear even with 3 ton load on her back. Used to get a mileage of 9.5~11kmpl in city (Tirupur - I hope some of you could imagine the traffic here) Always fully loaded. Maintenance was cheaper than TATA 407 & Eicher.

ilango[speed thirst];84917 said:
Yeah jalex what you said is 1000000% true.

Though i knew i was wrong , i asked my uncle , will that create any problem ?
His reply , drive , lets see!
also the temp of driving is always awake!!

I mention the same in first post , yeah i was illegal to drive.
I know what you mean Ilango, I too am very much tempted at times when we hire a traveller to go some place. (Any one who's fanatical about automobiles will be, No doubt.) I always sit along with the driver too and keep him company. Some drivers also ask me whether I want to have a go at the wheel, But I always refuse even while being tempted cause those faces I see at courts have made such an impact on me. I even used to steer my cousin's Leyland bus when it was taken to the workshop after trip and this was in the early 90's when I was still in school, Little did I know of the consequences if something unfortunate happened. The law was also not tight as now back then and I wanted to show the world that I was quite something.

And like I said before, the magnitude of the damage can never be ascertained. A year back in case where a doctor was killed in an accident, His relatives had claimed for 32 lakhs at the Tribunal. Imagine if the vehicle responsible was a commercial one and the person at the wheel was you or me. Most people never realize this and thats what I am reminding.

ilango[speed thirst];50816 said:
Yeah a nice place to visit.

first we visited thottebetta , a shooting spot and a garden.

i was active at thottebetta. after that my battery drained down as i was awake the whole night along with uncle who was driving the van..

yep rather than ooty i was interested in driving!!
That was a good review on driving a TT Illango [clap].I wish to drive this machine.

I go for Ooty only to drive round the hills.

On a Mysore Highway i saw a brand new TT doing 110kmph easily and of course blocking my car and the big beast(Airavat. Volvo).Those two had a tough fight but finally The beast ran away.

My questions:
Was the steering good enough to handle tight turns?
How much time did you take to settle with the gear changing aspects?
Does the body rattles too much?

jalex usually you people switch drivers in case the one who caused the accident doesn't have a valid licence, how come this guy suffered ?

Thread Starter #23
That was a good review on driving a TT Illango [clap].I wish to drive this machine.

I go for Ooty only to drive round the hills.

On a Mysore Highway i saw a brand new TT doing 110kmph easily and of course blocking my car and the big beast(Airavat. Volvo).Those two had a tough fight but finally The beast ran away.

My questions:
Was the steering good enough to handle tight turns?
How much time did you take to settle with the gear changing aspects?
Does the body rattles too much?

It took me about 15 min to settle with the gear then , first time in actual roads then.i was changing too early .

last week after a year back to kodaikanal in same van + accent combination.
since i was driving the accent , i just drove this for the sake of driving , for 40 min.
this time , i got with gear in max about 5 min.
i was searching for the rpm meter , spoilt a lot !!

still after a year the van was smooth to drive. No rattles.
this time it had some mild brake problem like , air in brakes. you needed to pump before braking and also the brake bite was less compared to last year. Hope so it needs a replacement.
this year the van , has all new 4 Jk tyres on them
But i was not able to find the difference .

The steering is big . too much big!!

ilango[speed thirst];97199 said:
The steering is big . too much big!!
I can see that. Now there are more number of TTs in Bangalore doing trips for IT companies.As the Engine has more power and torque, the drivers drive like hell in the city causing troubles especially the young people and a menace if they are behind you[anger]

I think the tempo traveler is also available for private use

I think it's called the Force Traveller now. The original version (which I prefer) was based on the Mercedes Transporter.

I think it's called the Force Traveller now. The original version (which I prefer) was based on the Mercedes Transporter.
Yes its now called the force traveler but the older name has been famous since it made an entry.If you ask any driver or knowledgeable person of CVs they will definitely call it as TT(Tempo Traveler)

Can this vehicle be registered for private use? Also what would be the price??
I think the tax is quarterly even if its a white board.

Thread Starter #27
If in private board , just 15 year tax , that is life tax , else annual tax , you can choose your wish. in short same as car.

i have seen one winger in private board , but no tt till now.
But have seen some tt modification for film directors and actors in coimbatore. it had private board i hope

jalex usually you people switch drivers in case the one who caused the accident doesn't have a valid licence, how come this guy suffered ?
Do go through the story one more time if you may-

Guy who bought the Auto had not transferred it to his name at the time of the accident. So he wont have been held responsible for damages and he did not need to swap drivers,(And just for the information, I do not include the group of 'People' who do the dirty work to that effect as well.) He just paid the fine at the magistrate and left the real damage for the R.C owner, Who was bound to suffer, when the injured filed a claim petition at the Motor Accident Claims Tribunal itself.

Last edited:
I have seen many Travellers with white board in Bangalore,One was 3050WB(Shorter Wheelbase),They had modified it nicely. Another one was a black coloured one with KL registration.

The winger is now available for private use,its called the winger platinum,with 7 captain seats,Roof a/c,power steering,biege interiors,90hp engine.
When i visited the IMS 2010,Tata motors had showcased This vehicle Which was not released yet. The company people said that it comes with lifetime tax which and the on-road price would be round 8.60 Lakhs.

Top Bottom