Tempo Traveller Test Drive

Thread Starter #1
I was touring last weekend to Ooty. We were 10 of them and traveled in a Tempo Traveler. The driver was hmmm...known to me from my birth. He used to be with my uncle who runs a travells, When he closed down say some 5 to 6 years back, he went to drive vans and now he drives this Traveller and Innova.

As we were 10 of them, we took a van, it was a AC Traveller. I am not sure about the engine spec, but it had a turbo, 5 Gears, Original seats, Additional add on's were a dvd player and a lcd tv and a customised interior with beige colour. That is all

Am i allowed to drive this?
No, I have a license to drive LMV, but do not have a badge to drive public carrier like this - Yellow board or T - board so called

Initial Run.
Though i have driven this van at petrol stations and other small drive (small means a 4 to 8 mts kinda - real small). this was the first long drive. We started around 10.30 pm in night. I took over the keys at 2.30 am, mid night. At first I put in the key and started, it started so soon before we could realise it. The roaring was superb. i was idling for the turbo, uncle said that is no need and he do not follow that!! hehe

The reverse was the way we put the first gear. I took it from the parking lot of tea stall and everybody climbed in making funny comments!! though there is first gear, it should be used only at hills with load. so driving this is straight from second gear.

The initial run were great. I was changing gears as in car - trying to go higher gears fast, confused with the ac and engine sound- no tachy to help me. I have no idea about its gear ration , but it travels fine with 4th gear. It need 5th gear only above the 70kmph. . slightest de accelerate in 5th makes it stall kinda and needs the 4th one. pick were great for this big van.

We can easily over take - need to be alert when going back to lane. thanks to the big ovrms. My second day driving were better than first day. i was driving them so easily than 1st day. previous day i need to search for gear rod- i was used to it in 2nd day run.

I do not have idea of its pick up without the ac. But it was amazing with the ac. the van was 1.4 years old one. with odo reading 1.05L kms(69 on present odo. ado was changed near 30k due to a problem)

The steering were so big . the power steering makes the work easy, the brake were too superb. it was still on its original brakes i suppose. i hope it has too disc in front and drum in rear. the suspension in this van was so cool. hard bumps were taken so easily by it.

on hard braking the body swings like a sea saw. though it has leaf spring at rear it was so good. the tyres were 15 incher with 215 profile.

though it did not have a dead pedal , it had a big leg rest- yeah leg/knee rest. we can rest ours in the engine box. The ac was so good , it has 2 ac blowers with separate cooling coils. one at front and other at rear.

Only a single on and off switch for both is present at front. to adjust the blower speed - driver needs to get at back else the people in van itself need to do them. the driver seat had a special fan to turn the ac air to hit at him! i drove the van almost for 2 hours in total . a 70 kms max drive. i have a video of driving too , will upload it later.

Attachments

Last edited:
OOty a nice place.
What all places you visited in ooty Ilango.
More than ooty you might have got thrilled of driving TT.
It shows in your thread.

Thread Starter #3
OOty a nice place.
What all places you visited in ooty Ilango.
More than ooty you might have got thrilled of driving TT.
It shows in your thread.
Yeah a nice place to visit.

first we visited thottebetta , a shooting spot and a garden.

i was active at thottebetta. after that my battery drained down as i was awake the whole night along with uncle who was driving the van..

yep rather than ooty i was interested in driving!!

Hmmm must have been great experience driving a TT. Thanks for sharing with us as i requested.

I can guess the funny comments which must have been made and i hope you din try any stunts like you used to do in your Marina![evil]

Thread Starter #5
Yep , didnt try any stunts , and the hand brakes were working and the first gear torque was so good for drifting.

I feel good when the sumo and Scorpio's were giving way for me. forget the other small cars ..

Noticed a thing , the windshield wash jet was found in the wiper arm itself . looks good and something different.

I believe the engine doesnt get strained at high speeds(80-90kmph). I have seen many TTs cruising at such speeds without much stress.

Thread Starter #12
No strain was felt. rather i felt i can push beyond that. the engine was super smooth and kinda silent to previous gen traveler. this is bs 3 engine i supppose

the ac blower made constant noise in the cabin.

great review ilango! actually this is the only minibus which I find most comfortable and good looking from passanger aspect. its front headlights are shaped like RR Phantom...post more pics and video also. how much this bus costs btw?

Thread Starter #14
cool umang!
yes its kinda comfortable , but i have not travelled in other minibus , so cant compare and comment.

have travelled in old traveller , think i need to re locate my spine , the cab was without push back. that traveller was 6 years old. this one is one year old.
entirely different!

it cost 8.5L ac and some 30 to 40 more for extended wheel base version with ac

350Z

Core Team
Great review Ilango. Today I was browsing through Force Motors website and saw the factory picture of Traveller. It's a nice multiple-purpose van. How come does the odometer of a commercial vehicle has space for only five digits?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom