Teflon Coating - Worth It?

Re: Teflon coating

In case the latter, he could have insisted 3monthsthe dealer but I doubt if anything will work out at last moment. Generally, this is not needed though. He can instead spend on anti-rust coating and wax the car once in a couple of months.

Drive Safe,
350Z
+1. I never felt any difference after getting teflon coat 2 years back for my City. I would have never opted for it, but the dealer did it for free when i was away.
Somehow i feel, it is better to regularly wax your ride(once in 3-4months) to maintain the luster of the body.

teflon coating is nothing but polishing with some chemical. its not permanent and gets worn off in 3months.what i gather is that its a waste of money. the vento dealer had told me that their cars are given a final clear coat so teflon is not needed, so i didn't go for it. wax polishing is only needed to keep your car shining.

Teflon is temporary solution.
using car polishing chemicals from branded company keeps shine of the car.

in metallic and pearl , its a clear coat on the paint.

if you are that worried , get a full clear coat done in 5 to 6 years.
this is least interval.

paint need to breath too. the metal heat escapes through them . Do not cover them up with additional teflon.

Hope so teflon was used in non - stick pans long years before,
Bad for our health and cars too

teflon coating gives out white flakes after couple of months of running and worst is it shows scratches and lines much more in contrast .
other than initial bling it is not much useful.

but it is recommendable to good old cars to prevent the paints fading away but need regular re coating and maintenance.

Re: Teflon coating

Shailinder, is the Teflon coating being provided by the dealer for free or your friend is willing to get it done on his own? In case the latter, he could have insisted the dealer but I doubt if anything will work out at last moment. Generally, this is not needed though. He can instead spend on anti-rust coating and wax the car once in a couple of months.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks Vibhor and others for the input. I asked almost the same thing to my friend but while taking delivery he was under some state of mind [lol]. So he went ahead with paid teflon coating from dealer [cheers]

waxing and polishing by a professional is the best you can do to maintain the shine and luster on the car. once in 6-8 months is sufficient, even if it is suggested to do it once in 3 months. This is what i do on my car, alongwith the following, and i am reasonably happy with it.

1. put water with a hose on all parts.
2. Apply car shampoo [i use getsun shampoo] on all surfaces, with the help of a used bigboss or luxcozi undershirt, for it is also very smooth.
3. let it dry, and after it has dried, wipe it with a microfiber cloth or chamois leather.

350Z

Core Team
There are a few trusted and reputed car waxing / polishing workshops spread across the country. Otherwise, I can also recommend Carnation for this purpose. The dealer showed a demonstration of their service on Fiesta and all I can say is that the difference was massive.

Drive Safe,
350Z

My 2 cents:-

If you are buying a new car which has just come out of plant and has brand new paint, there is no need to go for a Teflon coating. The car paint *should* shine by itself, if its not, there is something wrong with the paint quality or you have chosen a dull color like beige, light golden. It is always better to use a good wax for polish routinely.

I have had Dupont teflon (not sure if other companies make Teflon) coating on my Swift for last 2 years and have regularly re-done it on 6 month interval. The only difference I have felt is the shine and gloss which is added. To view this effect, see the car in night light.

So, only in case your car is old and has lost its shine because of too much exposure to naturals like sun, water or heat, then you can go for Teflon coating.

Please note that Teflon never makes your car scratch free. If you hit someone, or otherway round, it will get scratched [:)]

Check the pic of my car with Teflon on it in my garage. See if you can make out ANY difference.

I had gone for teflon coating(so called) on both of my vehicled unicorn and indica.I felt its worth for me.But my detailing friend mentioned its the paint protection they do and not the actual teflon coating because that impossible to do in normal temperatures.But whatever this could be i feel it worth !!

how the waxing is done at home, mine is 2007 model scorpio. is the same wax can be used for plastic part and metalic part??
what is the name of know wax available in the market?? how much quantity may needed for each waxing Scorpio?

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say dont opt for teflon coats atleast for new cars, as now paints are double to three layers coats which is good for its life, just keep it clean and shine with some good products available in market today, rather opt for underbody coating or some other accessories if available or some cash discounts.

350Z

Core Team
I had gone for teflon coating(so called) on both of my vehicled unicorn and indica.I felt its worth for me.But my detailing friend mentioned its the paint protection they do and not the actual teflon coating because that impossible to do in normal temperatures.But whatever this could be i feel it worth !!
Can you share any before / after comparison picture?

how the waxing is done at home, mine is 2007 model scorpio. is the same wax can be used for plastic part and metalic part??what is the name of know wax available in the market?? how much quantity may needed for each waxing Scorpio?
Please check this thread out: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/maintaining-my-ride/75-how-wax-car.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Teflon Coating

Hi Guys
I need some advice on Teflon Coating. Dealer is offering me body teflon coat for around 4K.

Is it wise to go for coating?

thanks
vishal

Top Bottom