Technical Query - Scooter Rear Wheel

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all 2-wheeler experts out there. This is my first post on this forum, shouting out for some help on certain two wheeler design.

I'm working on some project for which I am trying to understand, why in case of a scooter (like Activa, Jupiter etc), the rear wheel is designed in a fly-wheel arrangement i.e it only has one mount point (on the left side of the scooter connected to the transmission). Why is a scooter's rear wheel axle/spindle not rested/mounted on two points like in case of the front wheel or for that matter, a motorcycle's rear wheel.

I'm working on some new universal wheel design and we hit this roadblock where wheels on scooters are designed and mounted differently than motorcycles, and hence this question.

I do understand that in a scooter rear wheel, the axle is what rotates the wheel whereas in a motorcycle, the wheel is driven via the chain connected to the sprocket on the wheel. But the reason for these different designs is something that I'm trying to understand.

Any input/help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Deepak

Top Bottom