Tata's New Family of 1.2L, 3 Cylinder, Petrol Engines: Revotron a Stop Gap!

Explain why is this still cast iron? We are living in 2014. Almost every car her engine is Aluminium.
I
And explain why is this just a Xeta block with a turbo, instead of an all new engine from the ground up.

And also explain, why is it being marketed as being revolutionary?
Technically speaking, Iron cast block is superior to Aluminium except for lower weight. Heat control as well as NVH is better controlled on the cast iron block. Every other mfr moved to Aluminium only to save on weight.

Secondly this is a worked up alloy block which is lighter and rigid than the XETA engine which helped in faster development, has led to use this block. If you are not hell bent only on argument, you would have already noticed the picture of the Aluminium engine block 1.2 L 3 cylinder engine above which TATA has already released. This is the base of the future engine technology even which you cannot ignore.

Okay. Lets (grudingly) leave power aside for a minute.

Explain why is this still cast iron? We are living in 2014. Almost every car her engine is Aluminium.

And explain why is this just a Xeta block with a turbo, instead of an all new engine from the ground up.

So what ? Is there any regulation that engine should not be cast iron in 2014 onwards ?

Revotron concept/strategy only came to life after Karl Slym's induction in my know how. Correct me if I'm wrong ? That's the thread name itself suggests. This Xeta block is what they consider as stop gap..!!

Revolutionary in the sense it provides multiple driving modes in the sub 10 lakh category. Whatever close the engine mappings are, its a brave attempt what Ford and VW have not in offer. And these modes will be more relevant when more powerful engine arrives.

This is ridiculous I must say[frustration] Same guys will clap for VW providing 90 bhp in 1.5 L, yes it is diesel. but..[anger]

True buddy!

'Revolutionary' does not only mean that you are getting a thing that is out of the box and never seen before.

It means you are getting a technology that was a dream which you always had on a car that you never could believe owning. Turbo charged petrol engine was never in a economy car and TATA Motors could finally bring it in our reach. Multi drive modes too on the other hand.

What more revolution can you get?

Last edited:
True buddy!

'Revolutionary' does not only mean that you are getting a thing that is out of the box and never seen before.

It means you are getting a technology that was a dream which you always had on a car that you never could believe owning. Turbo charged petrol engine was never in a economy car and TATA Motors could finally bring it in our reach. Multi drive modes too on the other hand.

What more revolution can you get?
lets wait and see how it goes well in real time,

what to do some Indian's wearing multinational tag wont digest any innovative product from fellow Indian, just ignore them and lets discuss in relevance to the subject of the thread

Yes. The fact is the three modes in the current engine is just the start of proceedings. The performance difference b/w eco and city mode is relevant and city and sport is not much different. Also there is no official comment on the FE data. Expect reduced mileage in sport mode and I believe Tata will only advertise the figure in Eco mode which will be higher. These guys will again come and bash Tata for this purpose[frustration]

Again I want to make a point that, 1.2T is made for a purpose and if it serve the duty bestowed on it, I could not find any reason to blame this engine.

Revotron is a useless engine anyway. Nothing exceptional in it. All marketing hype.
hmm.... Straight forward comment from AMG,!, missed your sarcasm here.

Skoda these days gets 270 BHP from their new TSI Vrs octy. Its no sin to expect 120 bhp from a 1.2
same mathematics is applicable to price of the concerned cars.
Speaking mathematically, ideally if RTO allows 5 passenger s in the Revotron powered car they should allow 10 passengers 270 bhp powered skoda. [lol]'

So simple mathematics is not a way to compare cars

Probably, first time they might have noticed the readings on RPM meter.

Better to wait till we get to read a longterm ownership review.

One example of how Indian companies could master and over throw the leading manufacturers.

Ray vs Wego vs Let’s vs Activa vs Maestro – Shootout

The Yamaha Ray is the only scooter which has been there in our every shootout because it does whatever it has been told to do extremely well. The lack of under-seat storage was the first minus point and now the lower performance figures and high price tag make it come third in this shootout. The Let’s comes and blows away everybody as it is latest of the lot. Thoughtfully done powertrain, value for money quotient and other practical bits make it come second as the winner of this five way scooter shootout is the TVS Wego. The Wego justifies every single penny as most convenient features are standard. Even the very small niggles have been sorted out because of the fantastic attention to detail on the Jupiter has helped TVS make the Wego even better. The Wego has the value for money tag like no other scooter in this test. The largest under-seat space, the mature ride and handling balance, the goodies which are far more than the competition, all help make it the scooter which takes the trophy back to Hosur.

The Suzuki Let’s comes very close to the TVS Wego but loses out on aspects that are highly essential for customers in India, which is undoubtedly a trump card called value for money. The Japanese offers reliability over everything meanwhile the TVS offers the same and everything else at a very compelling price. It wins this shootout by a subtle margin.
Though the Honda Activa was a bench mark, the home grown Indian Multinational could work on their own technology to take on all the world Top brands. When TVS split with SUZUKI, everyone predicted a dooms day for the former. Now they are at No. 3 beating another Indian homegrown manufacturer BAJAJ AUTO. They could successfully fend their 3rd spot.

www.motorbeam.com

Last edited:
Grounds up and all new?

Do you even realize how much effort, time and money, goes into to building an engine from scratch? Its not as simple as they show in Discovery Turbo. It takes years, from design to first start up and then to production.

Its easy for journalists and armatures (like us) to pass comments. But they are no novice working in R&D.

Re: Tata's New Family of 1.2L 3cylinder petrol engines-Revotron a stop gap!

Revotron is a useless engine anyway. Nothing exceptional in it. All marketing hype.
I know someone asked you this already but have you test driven it? Before driving it i dont think there's any point bashing the engine or TATA. I am in no way affiliated with TATA. I am just being reasonable. Unwanted bashing and mocking people by calling them fanboys just because they are proud of a product from their own nation is totally uncalled for!!

More news over the REVOTRON.

While the first turbo petrol engine in the REVOTRON family has been intentionally kept low tech to ensure high reliability and acceptance, and to test the waters, Tata Motors is putting together more turbo petrol engines under the REVOTRON family. The new range of turbo petrol engines from Tata Motors will come in three and four cylinder configurations, with a higher rev limit and power output.

Tata Motors is said to be targeting a peak power output in excess of 100 Bhp on the new range of REVOTRON engines, which are likely to be capped at 1.2 liter-3 cylinder and 1.5 liter-4 cylinder since these engines will be primarily used in Tata hatchbacks and sedans. Also, the new crop of 3 and 4 cylinder turbo petrol engines from Tata Motors will be developed from ground up, using a clean sheet design, quite unlike the cast iron 1.2 liter REVOTRON motor that has its origins in the XETA petrol engine.

Also, the new range of turbo petrol engines from Tata Motors are expected to be significantly lighter than the first REVOTRON motor, what with aluminium forming the base of the new crop of motors, with cast iron being banished. Targeting high refinement levels, hydraulic lash adjusters and finger followers for valve actuation are likely to make the cut into the new range of turbo petrol engines.

Turbocharged petrol engines are about to hit the mainstream in the Indian market, after waiting in the fringes for years. As the demand for more efficient and lower polluting petrol engines increases, turbo petrol engine are the answer for next decade at least. If Tata Motors goes all-turbo in its small hatchbacks and sedans, other car makers are expected to follow suit. Has the turbo petrol era in India well and truly arrived?
cartoq.com

Thread Starter #41
Well, looks like the all new engines will take a bit more time!
The current version is being delayed possibly by one month
Can the Xeta derived (? originally Peugeot derived) revo be a success?

1.If its atleast 30/40K less than the competition buyers may not mind if the engine is not as good to drive.
2. The mileage is 4-5 kmpl better; like many of you i have read most different online and video reviews and the figures quoted were not appealing-one even said 9-10kmpl with v spirited driving.I do hope that on the economy mode it gives 18-20kmpl in real world conditions ? ambitious
3. The engine is really a beauty to drive.. given the reviews so far it would seem auto-journalists are being polite in not showing disappointment.

So, my guess TML will price the petrol zest close to 5L for the base as a starter price. [;)]
The closer they get to the 6L range higher proportional chances of nose dive in sales-my view

my guess is that this All New 3cylinder 1197cc alluminium black is based on TATA NANO's 2cylinder 624cc alluminium(correct me if i was wrong) block with upsizing bore stroke and new DOHC 16valves head unit

why couldnt they just plonk a 0.9l 105ps fiat multi air engine?

given that they can easily get it licensed from fiat.

and fiat from its current history has been more than willing to share its technology.

Thread Starter #44
How much better really is the Revotron to the Fiat 1.2 FIRE? The answer seems obvious that the "turbo" will now make all the diff. However none of the test drives really seem to suggest stonking performance even in sports mode. So.. perhaps its cheaper than paying fiat royalty on the fire?? or its more fuel efficient? I hope its a big step forward as they are claiming

why couldnt they just plonk a 0.9l 105ps fiat multi air engine?

given that they can easily get it licensed from fiat.

and fiat from its current history has been more than willing to share its technology.
dude getting license from fiat for a multiair engine easy but here tata need to pay royalty and they need to setup new assembly line for new engine because at present TATA-FIAT JV produces only 1.3L Multijet and 1.2 & 1.4L fire and 1.4 T-Jet engines with locally sourced parts

So comming back to Revotron its cheaper to produces compare to FIAT engines because the engine block is derived from XETA Family and almoust all parts are produced locally so the engine deffinately cost effective

i wish that in near future FIAT should have to use this Revotron Motor in FIAT Punto instead of 1.2L Fire engine because we all know that 1.2L fire engine feels under power in heavy Punto [frustration]

Top Bottom