Tata Zest Test Drive and Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #16
Thanks Jag, Akash and mastiandroid5

@anshuman8: Why you feel the exterior is disproportionate ? Can you make it clear ? Is the design looks odd or the sub 4m problem arises here as well.?
I think the boot integration is not that well done (i.e. the bootlid is small compared to the hood). Dzire and Indigo CS have same issue, but Xcent and Amaze design takes care of it.

Excellent review buddy.
Bolt and Zest are the two cars which could turn around the TATA's fate. And 6 years of warranty proves that TATA is confident of their quality this time. Lets hope the car lives up to the expectation.
Yes the warranty virtually would take care of any quality issues. I do not know about final production versions but the ones for display and demo has got very good finish quality and even panel gaps.

350Z

Core Team
@anshuman8: Why you feel the exterior is disproportionate ? Can you make it clear ? Is the design looks odd or the sub 4m problem arises here as well.?
The height of Zest isn't in adequate proportion to its length for a sedan. At the same time it's also an advantage translating easier ingress / egress than competitors.

However, that said, Hyundai Xcent still continues to have the most well-integrated boot in the sub-four meter segment so far. Following comparative images say it all.

Exterior Dimensions (LxWxH):

> Tata Zest: 3995 mm x 1706 mm x 1570 mm

> Maruti Swift Dzire: 3995 mm x 1695 mm x 1555 mm

> Hyundai Xcent: 3995 mm x 1660 mm x 1520 mm

> Honda Amaze: 3990 mm x 1680 mm x 1505 mm

Tata-Zest-Side-View.jpg

Maruti-Swift-Dzire-Side-View.jpg

Hyundai-Xcent-Side-View.jpg

Honda-Amaze-Side-View.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Space, comfort and ride quality have always been the USP of Tata cars and I am expecting Zest also to have all of them alongwith other bells and whistles. Sounds like a complete product!!

BTW in the compact sedans, I always felt that Indigo CS is the most proportionate one, now let's see how Zest looks in flesh. I'll be going to Jaipur in a couple of days and would iek to have a look at Zest at Gurgaon.

Thanks for the comparo snaps, this is what comes to my mind when i see the cars in comparo side profile picture

Zest : boot is almost not their, but looks bigger among the four because of the bigger waistline and the roofline almost goes till the boot, and looks like the headroom and space is good among the lot

Swift dezire: nothing new comes in mind just one word to describe it now thats "classic"

Xcent : flashy may be the color makes it flashy, rest is proportional when it comes to body looks, but for my eyes front end belongs to a hatchback but not a sedan or small sedan

Amaze : stylish among the lot, with sculpted lines gives a better looker among all

Last edited:
Before anything, excellent review Anshuman. Kudos to you... If more pics were accompanied with the points, it would have been nothing less than some official reviews we see in few fellow forums.

I got a chance to check it out last Saturday @ Phoenix Mall. I didn't get time to take a ride though. Here is my views based on the first look.

Overall, it's a good product from Tata and going to be the best rival for Xcent and Amaze. I am intentionally skipping Dzire for obvious reasons like style, design, equipment list etc. though it's of the same segment.

Exterior Design and Looks -
I'll cut straight to the chase - it's rather pleasant.
In the sub 4-metre sedan segment, Tata has actually pulled off the best job in the business of looking good. The design is of course based on erstwhile Vista/Manza and you can see the lines still. But its surely refreshing and eye catching. While we were on the drive people were indeed were giving a second look. The paint job is top class and curves are at correct places. The DRLs rather small but quite jazzy during daytime.
Yes, quite agreeable. Tata has done a good job in terms of design and looks. However, to me personally, it isn't curvy or great as Hyundais, yet a better Tata one as it's not boxy anymore. Face could have had much more designs and chrome, as it looks very much of the first model of Vista.

Interior Design -
The interior design is all new specially the dash board. The dials also look very classy. The front seats are bucket type and resembles that of Manza. I will just say two things - it definitely feels a lot more upmarket than any Tata product before this and the quality has gone up quite a few notches. The dual-tone colour scheme works well and though I'd have loved to see soft-touch materials. The interior feels like any C2 or D segment European Sedan. The three spoke sporty steering wheel is very nicely designed with complete audio and other controls. The rear leg space is almost same as Vista which is slightly lower than Manza. The version on display did not have any center armrest in the back seat, seems Tata Motors has removed due to customer feedback. Boot space is quite decent and can gulp two large suitcases and two or three medium to large bags , enough for a family trip.
The choice of interior plastic material and color combinations is good. Spaaaaccceeeeee.... Yup, another Tata. MS got to study them to make space in their cars. However, the boot isn't that big, but not to complaint either.

Engine and Ride Quality -
Sorry, next time.

Comfort and Convenience -
The cabin gets a new-age infotainment system that has been developed by - low and behold - Harman Kardon! The top-end trims get a 5-inch touch screen panel that controls the audio system and AC. The touch sensitivity of same I found better than Caska audio systems. The system runs also on voice command and it can match with almost all Indian accent. The AC can directly be controlled by the touch screen system.Also it works for display for parking sensors and has inbuilt navigation supported by MapMyIndia. Its a segment first to provide such a high quality audio system in a sub 4M car.It supports SD card as well as USB drives and Aux in. The sound quality is also simply superb as the system is supported by 4 Harmon Kardon speakers and another 4 Harmon Kardon tweeters. However the rear parcel tray does not have any provision to fit any speakers. So for lower models it can be a disadvantage. The AC works simply like a charm. Though there is no rear AC vent passengers at back seat never complained discomfort. Zest comes with Keyless entry but no Start/Stop button for ignition. Note like Vista and Manza only 1 key comes with FOB/Remote.
The ICE is good and touch one, but didn't find it to be great for Harman, especially for someone used to Figo's OE system [clap] Both bass and treble are quite flat, despite trying different preset and user settings.

Voice command, touch screen with bluetooth, GPS and RPS are great features for this segment. Again, lessons for MS.

Overall Impression -
I think Tata Motors have got it right this time. And also launching the Zest ahead of Bolt is a good strategy and is generating lot of excitement in the market. The
key thing is price, which if done correctly it should snatch some sales figures from Dzire, Amaze and Xcent.
I took some pictures at the venue, please feel free to ask any questions.
Yes, pricing going to be the key factor here. If they would do it well, will sure take a lead on the road. For their current market share, they got to work it well.

What I didn't like -

• Boot Lid open is traditional stop to bend down and get confused with Fuel Lid.
  • Even top end model isn't equipped with Remote Boot Open. The lock looks odd and out of place in the boot, especially on top end model.
  • A tap on the the boot Lid shudders the whole thing. Maybe the boot lid cladding would have made it better.
  • The dash board is hitting my knees, despite different seat adjustment settings. Both on driver and co-driver side. I had the same issue with Vista as well.

Well, that much for now! But I am positive to see more Zest plying around and hoping it to be with White Boards [lol] Tata to concentrate on this point too apart from Pricing and TASS.

Thread Starter #23
The ICE is good and touch one, but didn't find it to be great for Harman, especially for someone used to Figo's OE system. Both bass and treble are quite flat, despite trying different preset and user settings.
Voice command, touch screen with bluetooth, GPS and RPS are great features for this segment. Again, lessons for MS.
Thanks Figoan, if you took any pics please post along, I have few more but need to re-size to upload.

Yes Figo OEM beats anything for sond quality. But the functionality of Harman cannot be ignored while comparing to the peers. Leave anything none has OEM touchscreen system.

I tried Radio Indigo 91.9 and found Bass to be quite good.

Among the 4 compact sedans shown, only the Xcent manages to look like a proper 3 box car, to some extent followed by the Amaze. The Dzire is now even more bizarre looking than in its previous avatar (which I used to own).
With the Zest, I feel the designers sort of gave up at the rear section. They could have done a lot more sculpting. Also, I wonder-whether 15 in wheels were necessary ? I believe the competition has 14inchers. Correct me if I am wrong here..

Excellent review. Thanks anshuman8.

I saw the car while dropping off my Aria for servicing. Didn't get a chance for a test drive as I was too early (8.30 am). Anyway they are not yet officially offering test drive at the showroom ( Concorde motors) but only at events.

They looked classy. The fit and finish is not what we have over the years come to expect from Tata Motors. The interiors were impressive as well (view from the outside). photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Got a few pics. Sorry about the quality, the car was in their basement and I was using a camera phone.

Last edited:
HI guys, have booked zest last week, as per prerana motors i am 26th guy who has booked the zest.

Drove the zest for 500m since it was late sunday, paid Rs.5000/- as booking amount since the price has not been disclosed. There is no cancellation charges, it is 100% refundable hence booked the car.

It is far better than my current manza when it comes to ride quality, but many things impressed me. But one highly wanted feature was folding mirrors, which i am seeming to be loosing.

People who are planning to book, can proceed to Prerana in lalbagh road.

So dealers started the booking process..!![clap]
You are the 26th one in Prerana itself..??
Yes got an SMS from tata motors hence went to the showroom for booking.

To be frank i am not satisfied with the quality of the door knob. Anyways i booked because of rumor that zest comes with 3+3 years warranty, which is amazing for me with a gold AMC makes good sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom