Tata Zest: Technical Issues & Solutions

Hello Guys,

I am facing few issues with my Zest since last month.
Model - 2014 Zest XE, clocked 16000
1. While driving all of a sudden my engine light came on.
My immediate action - Stop the car, and did some checks - 1st checked my coolant, radiator fan is still working or no, any visible leakages. didn't find any, started to drive again, i did not experience any power loss, but the light was still on, since it was late evening i thought i will take it to service center the next day.
Next day i switched on my car to take it to service center, the light still be on, TASS was around 12 Kms from home, i didnt even reach half way and the light just went off[surprise]. so i decided to go during the weekend because i knew they would eat lot of my time there.

2. Few days went just fine until day before yesterday, when the engine light made its entry again, but this time power loss was evident and that too on a busy street, some how i got some space to park, switch off and switch on my car again and power was back in place, the light was still on though. Yest i took my car to TASS just before i entered TASS the light went off again [anger], he connected the laptop and told me those were temp error code and told there is nothing to worry about, i was relieved but i still dont trust TASS. since TATA had organised Monsoon Checkup the SA told me to keep the car for a day and he said he will personally check if he encounters that issue, which he didnt when i went tp pick up the car today.

3. Once the car was picked from TASS, on my way home i encountered a wierd problem with the power steering, my steering became heavy, it took me both hand to get the aside and stop, i again switch off and switched on the car and it was fine.

I am wondering if any of the members have faced any of these issues.

P.S - My steering collum was replaced in March 17 as i had that constant rubbing sound and i was replaced under warranty.

Any advice from memeber would be really great.

Hello Guys,

2. Few days went just fine until day before yesterday, when the engine light made its entry again, but this time power loss was evident and that too on a busy street, some how i got some space to park, switch off and switch on my car again and power was back in place, the light was still on though. Yest i took my car to TASS just before i entered TASS the light went off again [anger], he connected the laptop and told me those were temp error code and told there is nothing to worry about, i was relieved but i still dont trust TASS. since TATA had organised Monsoon Checkup the SA told me to keep the car for a day and he said he will personally check if he encounters that issue, which he didnt when i went tp pick up the car today.
Is the issue resolved? If so what was the cause? If the problem still persists, ask TASS to check the vaccum modulator and turbo. Faced the same issue in my XUV 500. Are you having excessive turbo sound in your car?

After 3 years:

The car is facing issues when there is less petrol and it starts giving light in engine and ABS + Car can't accelerate above 50 km/hr. I gave the car to Autovikas motors a month back and they said they have rectified the car.

Again 2 days back the same problem started and i again gave car to Autovikas Motors. There was a major mishap which luckily did not happen in pick up (dont want to disclose details here) which i complained and the service advisor now has the audacity to tell me that they wont now drop the car back to me home until we come and meet the General Manager.

The car has just driven 10,000 kms in 3 years and there have been niggles once in a while. But this behaviour of Autovikas motors, Moti Nagar has made sure i will never buy any tata car or recommend

TATA MOTORS ! WAKE UP ....

Tata Zest Battery advise

Hi All

I have Dec 2014 Tata Zest RT(Petrol). I have used my car mostly on weekends and it remains parked in parking over the week. FOr last 3.5 years of ownership, I did not experienced any issues with car battery neither battery showed any symptoms of degrade in performance. Even if car is standing still over a week, engine used to get started in first crank itself.

last week, I accidentally left DRL lights on for about 4 hours during daytime. I immediately rushed to parking and switched them off as soon as I realized that parking lights are on. after switching off lights, I locked the car with remote key button. Lock indicators flashed as usual and there were no signed of battery drain on dashboard.

Next day, when I tried to unlock car remotely, it did not work and when I opened with manual key, I found that none of the electrical functions are working.

I went to a battery shop , brought the mechanic with me and the machanic jump started my car with battery he brought with him. He told me that battery will get fully charged till I drop him back to his shop. No issues with battery/car till I dropped him at shop about 1 km away. without siwtching of engine, I drove another 6/7 kms and parked my car back to home. I ensured no lights/functions are left on in car.

Next day, same issue. [cry] . There was just 'tak-tak-tak' sound when I tried cranking engine. all dashbaord indicators went dim after that. When I called same battery shop, he suggested to change the battery as it is more than 3 years old.

I need expert advise on what to do in this case. How come car battery will suddenly stop charging. Do I need to replace the battery at this stage ?

Existing battery is Exide make.

please advise.

Re: Tata Zest Battery advise

Hi All

I have Dec 2014 Tata Zest RT(Petrol). I have used my car mostly on weekends and it remains parked in parking over the week. FOr last 3.5 years of ownership, I did not experienced any issues with car battery neither battery showed any symptoms of degrade in performance. Even if car is standing still over a week, engine used to get started in first crank itself.

last week, I accidentally left DRL lights on for about 4 hours during daytime. I immediately rushed to parking and switched them off as soon as I realized that parking lights are on. after switching off lights, I locked the car with remote key button. Lock indicators flashed as usual and there were no signed of battery drain on dashboard.

Next day, when I tried to unlock car remotely, it did not work and when I opened with manual key, I found that none of the electrical functions are working.

I went to a battery shop , brought the mechanic with me and the machanic jump started my car with battery he brought with him. He told me that battery will get fully charged till I drop him back to his shop. No issues with battery/car till I dropped him at shop about 1 km away. without siwtching of engine, I drove another 6/7 kms and parked my car back to home. I ensured no lights/functions are left on in car.

Next day, same issue. [cry] . There was just 'tak-tak-tak' sound when I tried cranking engine. all dashbaord indicators went dim after that. When I called same battery shop, he suggested to change the battery as it is more than 3 years old.

I need expert advise on what to do in this case. How come car battery will suddenly stop charging. Do I need to replace the battery at this stage ?

Existing battery is Exide make.

please advise.
Is it the 2014 OEM battery ? In that case it might have run out of life. Ask your local battery guy to check the cell strength.

Bought Used Tata Zest

Hi All - I have bought tata zest xt diseal. Currently iam facing one issue, with that. Fuel indicator bars are not showing after filling full tank. And the fule pump light is keep on blinking.

I have left my car at KHT motors bangalore and engineers are working on that issue.

>Let me know if anyone in this forum faced this kind of issue in tata zest.

Re: Bought Used Tata Zest

Hi All - I have bought tata zest xt diseal. Currently iam facing one issue, with that. Fuel indicator bars are not showing after filling full tank. And the fule pump light is keep on blinking.

I have left my car at KHT motors bangalore and engineers are working on that issue.

>Let me know if anyone in this forum faced this kind of issue in tata zest.
Seems to be a problem with a faulty fuel level float in the diesel tank. Replacing it should solve it.

Re: Bought Used Tata Zest

They have taken out that part as well, and checked in front me. That didnt worked. They verified the censor at the console and that is also not at fault.

Seems they will check wiring today, got a call from service advisior.

Top Bottom