Tata Zest: Technical Issues & Solutions

Re: Tata Zest revetron issues

sad to see issues in a new car. it will be helpful for other owners if you can post a video of the RPM fluctation.

Kindly elaborate the issue. Is it happening only during idling? What is the fluctuating pattern and degree of fluctuation? If possible,post a video with sound as to enable the experts to troubleshoot the problem. This forum have experts , to solve your problems.

Hi Zestians,

Need help on issues with my zest revetron that had just completed 1500 kms. Had many issues like the clear coating going for a toss after free teflon by dealer. However the technical issues seems to be that engine keeps revving up and down continously during idle , many forums have different solutions. Can you please help me understand this as the tata service person were unable to fix this and said this may be because of the new engine.
Does this happens with ac on and car idling, if so + or - 200 RPM normal.

-suryaputhra

Thank you for the reply, everybody
The revs go up and down every second, one second it is in 1400 and nxt it is in 1100 again. this keeps happen continuously as if pressing on the accelerator again and again. This happens most of the times when idling because that is when I can hear it and feel vibrations as if the car was about to turn of, as if it was trying hard to keep up the idle and revs back again.

New cars some times do have abnormal idling RPMs according to the condition of the engine. Is it happening while engine is cold (cold start) or after being hot?
All in all, it sounds to me like the car might have a vacuum leak or cracked air intake hose to the manifold. A good cleaning of the throttle body and resetting of the engine control module may clear the issue.Both can be done by the service center.Have you tried this?

Last edited:
I have already taken the car to service center and it was not resolved. They tried cleaning the air filter but nothing happened.

Tge service guy said it would be sorted automatically but it has covered more 700 kms after that but still the same.

It happens most of the time even after engine is warm and sometimes its normal all through out.

I have already taken the car to service center and it was not resolved. They tried cleaning the air filter but nothing happened.

Tge service guy said it would be sorted automatically but it has covered more 700 kms after that but still the same.

It happens most of the time even after engine is warm and sometimes its normal all through out.
Which service centre did you visit ?

During start up try to idle for 30 seconds first thing in the morning. If you are already doing it, try to post a video here.

I have mentioned similar issue in my zest in my ownership review.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/25902-tata-zest-platinum-silver-my-little-volvo-bus.html

As all others told ,new cars have warm up idling when from cold start ,which is normal.
I think if i am right about analysing your problem ,i think the problem you are mentioning is whenever the car is under Engine On status,the rpm shoots up, with a feel of about the engine to shut off itself,and without any output power.

My friend's i 10 had this problem,and solution was the idle speed sensor was replaced.
As your car is new ,you can claim it under warranty.You can recommend this to your SA.

@Mr.Suryaputhra
Sir ,i am not as an expert as you ,but my doubt is in latest generation OBD sensors,the issues usually gets cleared of its caches once the car is switched off and switched on (Info from SA at one of my ASS,as he had requested not to turn off engine when a warning sign had come in sonata )
Thereby ,when this issue occurs ,normally a warning lamp must be activated ,if not,the particular component may not be linked to Sensor module.In such a scenario OBD fails right.

@Mr.Suryaputhra
Sir ,i am not as an expert as you ,but my doubt is in latest generation OBD sensors,the issues usually gets cleared of its caches once the car is switched off and switched on (Info from SA at one of my ASS,as he had requested not to turn off engine when a warning sign had come in sonata )
Thereby ,when this issue occurs ,normally a warning lamp must be activated ,if not,the particular component may not be linked to Sensor module.In such a scenario OBD fails right.
There are different category scan codes

1. Three cycle(three times engine on and off), if engine and car encounters a problem for consecutive three cycles code is registered. Engine light may not come. It depends on error code.

2. Fail safe error codes. These are very critical, these are not dependant on three cycle, any problem related to this will be immediately stored and engine light will on and car will not start.

3. Non specific intermittent codes are stored they give valuable information on diagnostics. No engine light on.

-suryaputhra

Thanks a ton for the detailed explanation by everyone,

I've taken the car to concorde service after raising this with TATA customer care. The service guy was not able to understand the issue, I had raised other concerns as well.
The Clear coat which was all turned to swirls and scratched due to the polish by dealer. Service guy said swirls are on all new vehicles.

Gear vibration in 3rd gear. Service guy said it is common in all TATA zest.

The revving issue in idling, as mentioned they cleaned air filter and connected laptop and didn't find anything. Was told that it must be due to new engine and asked to see till it covers 1100 kms. but the engine now made 1500 kms. still the same.

I had to take the car to a 3M and had paint therapy done on it for 7000/- to remove swirls, it was looking good for 10 days. The swirls are again visible after rains washing out the 3M wax. The3M guy now says it must because of cleaning the car with dry microfibre, is this correct?
Thanks again

Thanks a ton for the detailed explanation by everyone,

I've taken the car to concorde service after raising this with TATA customer care. The service guy was not able to understand the issue, I had raised other concerns as well.
The Clear coat which was all turned to swirls and scratched due to the polish by dealer. Service guy said swirls are on all new vehicles.

I had to take the car to a 3M and had paint therapy done on it for 7000/- to remove swirls, it was looking good for 10 days. The swirls are again visible after rains washing out the 3M wax. The3M guy now says it must because of cleaning the car with dry microfibre, is this correct?
Thanks again
How much visible it's swirls actually are & are at which places ?
Do post its pics, if possible or if they come visible in a pic.
If they're a part of post-delivery clear coat, then it'll get clear on its own after repeated cleaning & wear.
If these are on top paint layer, then you can also get its rubbing once but that's purely on your risk. But its strange, if it's common on all new Tata vehicles. Really Strange.

Which service centre did you visit ?

During start up try to idle for 30 seconds first thing in the morning. If you are already doing it, try to post a video here.

I have mentioned similar issue in my zest in my ownership review.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...zest-platinum-silver-my-little-volvo-bus.html
Thank you, I've taken a look at your review and it is after the reviews on this forum that I've chosen Zest but for some reason my car has many issues.
I had taken it to the concorde service that is in Boduppal.

How much visible it's swirls actually are & are at which places ?
Do post its pics, if possible or if they come visible in a pic.
If they're a part of post-delivery clear coat, then it'll get clear on its own after repeated cleaning & wear.
If these are on top paint layer, then you can also get its rubbing once but that's purely on your risk. But its strange, if it's common on all new Tata vehicles. Really Strange.
Ive got the rubbing, paint sealer and wax done at 3M as mentioned but it seems to have shown up again, so is this because of cleaning method, I usually clean it with a dry microfibre to remove dirt.

Post scan test results, based on that we can decide, if service centre not responding properly write to tata.

-suryaputhra
It does happen even if ac is not turned on, but when on ac the vibrations/ revving is more felt as if some one is pressing on the accelerator every second

I didn't see the revving issue but when I do I'd try and upload it. Also I dont see the engine light come up when the revving issue happens as mentioned it sometimes doesnt showup but when it happens the turbo fan also doesnt start.

Top Bottom