Tata Zest Ownership Review

My XMA's battery gave up in 20 months and 62k kms. Frankly, wasn't expecting such a short life. Guess Tata batteries are not that great.
Have now installed an Amaron from a local shop and the total damage was INR 4,500 with excahnge
How is your car performing otherwise, I still curse TATA for not producing the XTA version i really wanted to own a Zest. As of now, they XTA version is still not available on online booking.

Last edited:
How is your car performing otherwise, I still curse TATA for not producing the XTA version i really wanted to own a Zest. As of now, they XTA version is still not available.
Exactly! Even I would have preferred XTA over XMA but XTA was not available back then.
Had my share of up's and down's but otherwise its performing decently:
a) Harman system and speakers replaced twice under warranty because of "voltage overflow" from the system thus damaging the speakers. No route cause analysis done by HK but parts replaced under warranty without a question.
b) AC also went kaput as ~45k kms and was replaced under warranty.
c) Battery gave up pretty soon.

Replaced the stock tyres at 57K kms as I was planning for a long (3000 kms) trip. Upgraded to Pirelli 195/60 section and the grip is very good (very low road noise). The car returns 16-18kmpl in Delhi/NCR traffic and 19-21kmpl on highways when driven between 90-110kmph. With my odo standing at 63k kms in less than 2 years, I am expecting to clock 100k kms by year 3 (give or take 2-3 months) and that would be a time for replacement/upgrade and I am really worried about the resale value as that will become the DP for my next car!

Exactly! Even I would have preferred XTA over XMA but XTA was not available back then.
Had my share of up's and down's but otherwise its performing decently:
a) Harman system and speakers replaced twice under warranty because of "voltage overflow" from the system thus damaging the speakers. No route cause analysis done by HK but parts replaced under warranty without a question.
b) AC also went kaput as ~45k kms and was replaced under warranty.
c) Battery gave up pretty soon.

Replaced the stock tyres at 57K kms as I was planning for a long (3000 kms) trip. Upgraded to Pirelli 195/60 section and the grip is very good (very low road noise). The car returns 16-18kmpl in Delhi/NCR traffic and 19-21kmpl on highways when driven between 90-110kmph. With my odo standing at 63k kms in less than 2 years, I am expecting to clock 100k kms by year 3 (give or take 2-3 months) and that would be a time for replacement/upgrade and I am really worried about the resale value as that will become the DP for my next car!
Man you had one too many failures altogether. But nice to know everything was replaced under warranty.

Do not worry about the resale value. If you are keeping your car in "tinch" condition you will get your price.

Man you had one too many failures altogether. But nice to know everything was replaced under warranty.

Do not worry about the resale value. If you are keeping your car in "tinch" condition you will get your price.
Yes, TATA is known to be very ethical with warranty claims. Its always advisable to go with Gold AMC and an extended warranty if buying a TATA vehicle.
The car is in good condition but TATA's in general do not command a good resale and that's where the worry is. Anyways, I always knew this but still when the time comes, that's when you feel the pain[frustration]

Hi Guys,

I own a Tata Zest XT Petrol (I call it Mr. WEST - White+Zest) since Dec 2016 in Bangalore. Driven about 2300 km since then. I face an issue with my Zest, hoping you guys can answer.

"My West do not crank when I start it for the first time for the day"
Detailed Scenario:
I park my car at night 9 pm after some 20 odd km run. Next day morning/evening I try start my car and it will not start. Not a single sound of engine being cranked.
Then I press followMEheadlamp -> door lock button on my car key when it is inserted in the ignition. Volla --- it will now start. STRANGE !!

This happens randomly. Sometimes everyday.. Its not about cold start. I will not happen for rest of the day once started.
I have never seen anything as such.

I would really appreciate anyone answering this. [:)]
-Shashank Nimje

Hi Guys,

I own a Tata Zest XT Petrol (I call it Mr. WEST - White+Zest) since Dec 2016 in Bangalore. Driven about 2300 km since then. I face an issue with my Zest, hoping you guys can answer.

"My West do not crank when I start it for the first time for the day"
Detailed Scenario:
I park my car at night 9 pm after some 20 odd km run. Next day morning/evening I try start my car and it will not start. Not a single sound of engine being cranked.
Then I press followMEheadlamp -> door lock button on my car key when it is inserted in the ignition. Volla --- it will now start. STRANGE !!

This happens randomly. Sometimes everyday.. Its not about cold start. I will not happen for rest of the day once started.
I have never seen anything as such.

I would really appreciate anyone answering this. [:)]
-Shashank Nimje
You are unable to crank or even after the crank, the car does not start? You should take it to the service station and they will be able to read the error codes (if any).

My XMA's battery gave up in 20 months and 62k kms. Frankly, wasn't expecting such a short life. Guess Tata batteries are not that great.
Have now installed an Amaron from a local shop and the total damage was INR 4,500 with excahnge
Doesn't the battery come with 24 months warranty?

Doesn't the battery come with 24 months warranty?
No, the standard warranty is 18 months for the stock battery. I know that diesel engines consume battery faster than their gasoline counterparts but still wasn't expecting life to be such low. Anyways, it wasn't a very expensive replacement so it doesn't matter much

Any suggestion for wiper blades other than the stock ones? I am not able to find anything online. Any leads would be appreciated.
Haven't used any other blades apart from the OEM ones but I have heard that 3M has frameless blades and they do good job in cleaning the windshield. I assume that they will be expensive though

Any suggestion for wiper blades other than the stock ones? I am not able to find anything online. Any leads would be appreciated.
Haven't used any other blades apart from the OEM ones but I have heard that 3M has frameless blades and they do good job in cleaning the windshield. I assume that they will be expensive though
Amazon.in: bosch wiper blade

Choose the one suits for zest. Bosch wiper blades are the best, have been using them in my esteem ritz , nano and now dzire.

Top Bottom