Tata Xenon 4x4 Road Test Drive Review

Take your time bro. Its going to be parked in your parking all along so you have ample amount of time. yes as navnit said in case you are thinking of functional spares then start searching everywhere while searching i found a person in Hubli who was selling the Bumper for thar for 16K.

the reason im saying this is you never know where you might get it keep all your options open. you never know you might strike a deal.

Dear Markiv,

it's heartening to see a new Xenon & thanks for choosing. I never have drove a 4x4 3Ltr.one but for sure it will be the best highway cruiser, your money can buy.

Please allow me to suggest you, stay away from offroading, otherwise you have to have lingering problems with front underpinnings thus you are staking with its cruisability.

Regards ........

@ safarian isn't a 4x4 bought to do a bit of offroading otherwise why spend the moolah on a 4x4 can settle with 4x2 for 1 lac less. the whole point people purchase 4x4 is so that they can do a bit of offroading or may be i think so.

@ Incarnation, yes sir you are absolutely right, but this is a special case. It's a long wheelbased vehicle with a very heavy front axle load & overhang, with softer rubber bushes of old safari. So it's got to suffer more while off-road. And obviously 4x4s are more front heavy ones.

And it's also has very low front-end antirollbar & a steering system shocker, which are very prone to be damaged off-road but on it, it surprisingly controls body-roll ( in it's class of course ) with great steering response.

So may I suggest you, use it only to escape from a tricky situation, please don't just go for it.

Regards ......

@incarnation..i had seen your ownership thread of the sierra and you seem to have lot of passion for your car.. the sierra is a very good looker , till date its big rear glass going to the roof is unique as well as the two door concept.. happy motoring . (reminded of a texas ranger) :-)

Also i seem to have given a wrong info on the stock tyres of the xenon, ( they came ith 235.75.16..i and given the disc and tyre to my friend to put on a trailer used to mount a mobile generator.

@safarian, i ve noticed from your profile (garage )that you are a xenon owner. Pls do share some more light on the xenon..that would be helpful. I used my previous 2wd second hand xenon for only about 3 months (then it was given to some one on some business purpose) and the is new one 4wd for only about 2 months now

Dear Markiv,

Please ask me if you have any specific query because I struggle to type.It will be my pleasure if I can come handy anytime.

Thanks & Regards,

Roy

@incarnation..i had seen your ownership thread of the sierra and you seem to have lot of passion for your car.. the sierra is a very good looker , till date its big rear glass going to the roof is unique as well as the two door concept.. happy motoring . (reminded of a texas ranger) :-)

Also i seem to have given a wrong info on the stock tyres of the xenon, ( they came with 235.75.16..i and given the disc and tyre to my friend to put on a trailer used to mount a mobile generator.
Thanks Mate its been my childhood dream to own one and finally i have one. with the Focus on my bull in the recent times my sierra( Bumblebee as i call it ) has taken a back foot. will update the thread shortly. i think 235/70/R16 was the Tyre size for safari not Xenon as Xenon had thinner Tyre's compared to Safari or so i thought.

however i upgraded to 235/70/R16 recently and im enjoying the Grip the Mammoth offers now with the new shoes.

@ safarian Thanks for sharing your inputs on the xenon never knew it wasnt a hardcore offroader.

i wonder then why people go for 2.2ltr XT for going offroad.

Last edited:
@safarian, thanks for the caution and offer of assistance, i sure shall let u know if i had any query. I shall keep in mind your notes on the low anti roll bar, steering system shocker etc. Anyways , I'm not a hard core off roader, so suits me maybe.
PS: yes, its an excellent highway cruiser. But I'm not comfortable with the brakes after being used to my corolla altis ( No comparison). Also the fact that this xenon doesn't have airbags or abs is not comforting either. And the fact that i have big fat tyres and i end up cruising at not more than 100-110 ( I feel mentally safe at that speeds, not beyond in this truck).

@navnit, i shall take your advice and go for sump guard, differential guard, scuff plates, coating for wiring etc.. (taking your advice seriously after safarian scares ;-) )

@ Incarnation, me also. How foolish a man could be, that he purchases a significantly LWB vehicle for off-roading!

And as far as 2.2s are concerned, it is abrilliant & versatile engine, the top off-roading avatar is Scorpio"s Mhawk. But for pure off-road you have to have a bigger NA engine. By the way XT 2.2 is probably the best cruiser on indian highway in this side of 20 lakh.

Regards .....

Re: Tata Kite Compact Sedan (Indigo eCS Replacement)

You know in Punjab people still say Indica was king of it's time and Indigo CS still selling in good numbers here.
And one anger I have with Tata is that why aren't they selling Xenon from their passenger vehicle division thus losing lot of sales as it's only available where they sell Ace and likes and the showroom experience; you know it all.
TATA Xenon Considered as Commercial vehicle in RTO thats why they moved and TATA killed Xenon Brand image by launching low cost single cab Xenon Pickup[frustration]

TATA Xenon Considered as Commercial vehicle in RTO thats why they moved and TATA killed Xenon Brand image by launching low cost single cab Xenon Pickup[frustration]
But now it's getting registered as personal vehicles and you won't believe it's taking the place of Safari and locking horns with Scorpio and Duster kinds specially i youth in Punjab.

I have seen lots of them well modified as well on same lines as we see pickuo trucks in US, Australia and Canada.

Please Tata don't let it die and keep bringing updates and new addition in Xenon and be the king again of atleast this untapped segment.

Last edited:

TATA Xenon Pick-up and Crew are Commercial vehicles. TATA Xenon XT is a passenger variant and is registered only as a private vehicle. That is the difference. It may not be available immediately due to low sales the dealers may not be ordering any of them.

Quoting one such example, a TATA ARIA 2013 Pride 4X4 is still available at STAR Motors Nalgonda. He was ready to part with it at a 2 lakh discount. But somehow I did not find it interesting.

Last edited:

But now it's getting registered as personal vehicles and you won't believe it's taking the place of Safari and locking horns with Scorpio and Duster kinds specially i youth in Punjab.

I have seen lots of them well modified as well on same lines as we see pickuo trucks in US, Australia and Canada.

Please Tata don't let it die and keep bringing updates and new addition in Xenon and be the king again of atleast this untapped segment.

Yes in Punjab people love macho vehicles specially life style pickup trucks[glasses]

personally I like TATA XENON XT and i wish TATA should done little bit more macho funky looks in front end current Xenon grill looks little bit ugly [anger]

Last edited:

TATA Xenon Pick-up and Crew are Commercial vehicles. TATA Xenon XT is a passenger variant and is registered only as a private vehicle. That is the difference. It may not be available immediately due to low sales the dealers may not be ordering any of them.

Quoting one such example, a TATA ARIA 2013 Pride 4X4 is still available at STAR Motors Nalgonda. He was ready to part with it at a 2 lakh discount. But somehow I did not find it interesting.
In Punjab it's readily available but in dealership where they sell Ace and likes (LCV's)

That's the reason of less sales as people shy away from commercial dealerships and the experience (ass and pre-ownership sales) after spending 10-12 lakhs for lifestyle pickup.

And you know Tata add campaign for this one is zilch....

Xenon pickup and Xenon XT is two different vehicles right..? XT is for private usage with 2.2 DiCOR. Pickup is with 3.0 L DiCOR.

Top Bottom