Tata Vista LS TDi Ownership Report

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

Background and Buying Overview

We have 1999 Zen, its very zippy and fun to drive car, one of best design by Maruti. With roads improving at rapid pace and rising petrol prices, we decided to buy a new diesel car. Budget was set at 5 Lakh OTR, we wanted spacious hatch, we are well built family.

We considered Chevrolet Beat and Tata Vista. My BIL has Vista QJD, we found it more spacious. Beat was good package, but its strictly city car IMO, its highway manners are not in same league.

Dealership experience was nice, we got car in less than 45 mins, it was in ready stock, Salesman working there was familiar, he lives in my neighbourhood. We got 10k discount on ex showroom price. TDi was 4.37L last year, now its 4.64L, we got free mats etc, totally useless stuff, I use these mats now in boot. Got free perfume, its also yuck, Paid for 2 years extended warranty at 4.2k, I also wasted 2k+ on body color protection. Got 10,000 discount from dealer.

Initial Ownership Impressions

Exteriors and Design: Vista refresh sporty black strip at rear, it looks good. Paint quality is top class. No fog lamps in LS variant, IIRC they quoted me Rs. 1200 including installation. Got door handles and ORVM's body color painted at Rs. 2000. Vista has huge glass area, windows roll down fully. Headlamps are good, even tail look much better now with smoked effect and dark outline, from safety point of view, Vista has very high lights.

Interiors and Features: Interiors quality, fit and finish is vastly improved. Design is also not offending. Its black and beige combo similar to VW Polo, upper portions in back, lower in beige so it doesnt get much dirty compared to likes of new Dzire where its overdone. A/C effectiveness is good but its most spacious hatch with huge glass area, North Indians in May-June dry 46c afternoon heat will crave for rear blower, with sunfilms or in other months its not a problem. Space can beat some sedans from 2 segments up, Ingress / Egress is easy, boot space is similar to Swift at 230L~ with high loading point.

Engine and Performance: The TDi is fantastic value for money. Over the years Tata has been able to refine this engine and the gearbox on this is vastly improved too. The pick-up of the car is good, Its torquey, its better than other diesels at this price point (only 3 pot diesel engines are offered in 4.5L segment by other manufacturers). The gear-shift doesnt feel rubbery like the previous gen Indica.

FE = 17-18kmpl AC 100% ON mostly highways.

Braking inspires confidence, I have upgraded to 185/65 R14 Bridgestone B250's with alloy wheels.

Ride and Handling: NVH isn't much prominent, Perfect engine noise insulation. Bridgestone tyres are bit noisy on rough roads. Light clutch and light steering make for effortless city driving. Front seats have good thigh support and seating position provides good view of the road ahead, Steering provides good feedback, car is fully stable at 140kmph, body roll is very minimal wide tires have helped, Soft suspension setup that results in absolutely no rattles pin drop silence. Road undulations at high speeds on highways are gobbled up by this car. Overall it provides absorbent, comfortable ride quality.

Aftermarket stuff -
Sony CD/USB HU, Boston 6.5" Speakers on MDF rear parcel tray
14" Chrome Alloys
Wider 185/65 R14 Bridgestone B250 Tyres
LX Variant Minda Central locking system
Body colored ORVMs and door handles
Llumar 50% VLT Sunfilm on rear and side glass
Fancy Numberplate
Packy Poda floor mats beige color
Door Step Plates
Door Guards
Door Sill Plates

Pending -
Fog Lamps
Skoda/VW Horn
Garware Icecool 70% VLT on windscreen

Future planning -
Components at front
Art Leather Seat covers
3D Kaggu Mats

Attachments

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India and Congrats for Vista although a bit late. No doubt that Vista is one of the better cars from Tata Motors. There are a few more owners out here. You will enjoy the company of like-minded people. Do share more details (initial ownership experience etc) and of course more images too. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Welcome to TAI, your Vista looks great, please share some experiences you have faced so far on this car and how it is on the maintenance front, the FE figures, engine refinement and stuff. It's truly VFM car and model by Tata I've ever seen.

Please do share some photos and the alloys looks great but the clear picture will do great.

Welcome carcar. Nice writeup, but, more pics will be of great pleasure. Nice to hear that you are enjoying mile crunching in the vista.
It is a truly VFM package from Tata motors. Waiting for more details of the car.

Cheers.

Hey. Congrats on your good decision. Tata Vista is a very good car. Probably the best by Tata Motors.

Njoy....

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to gopalchandran.
IMO, in hatchbacks, vista is best , in sedans, manza is best and in suv's safari is the best by tata motors.

Congrats for your new car wishing you and your family many happy miles.

TATA seems to be doing good business nowadays, seeing lots of new thread:)

Thread Starter #10
12,000+ done, no complaints! [:)] Above pictures are not recent ones, It still looks in showroom condition, must admit Vista refresh has class leading paint quality, clear coat is very tough! It looks a million dollars in sunlight.

FE = 17-18kmpl AC 100% ON

Last edited:
Indica vista is best hatchback available in India considering the ergonomics and ride comfort.
I see another Happy Tata owner smiling here.I think Tata's infamous niggles and bad service are becoming a forgiven past by now.
Wishing you happy ownership.

CarCar,

That's a unique looking nice alloys.

Vista is a very good car with its comfort and ride quality.

Very much eager to know more about the TDI engine. How is it performing after 12000 km, how is idling sound, how smooth is power delivery and what about torque?

Sorry a lot of questions. But we request a detailed write up from you regarding your experience of this Vista and TDI engine in particular.

I like Vista very much. If not for the center mounted speedo meter, would have bought it. My wife said direct NO to Vista because of the reason. And I think, that is a deal brekaer for many others as well.

Anyways, another TATA happy costumer. Vista is really a great VFM car today and TATA have came long way ahead in building customer relationships and providing better A$$.

Alloys blend nice with the headlights and looks nice though. And car is maintained very well. [clap]. And the best part is 10K service just costed Rs.27XX. Thats brilliant.

So the people out there who are worried about :

1. Quality
  2. Niggles
  3. A$$
  4. Maintenance

Of TATA cars, have a look at this thread my friend.

Dharmesh, If you been doing couple of night driving you will realize how beneficial is not to have speedo under steering wheel.
The info lights are always distracting in conventional speedo under steerin wheel.
I drive my punto at night with opaque stickers on led's and speedo. One can notice it on couple of pics in my ownership.

Dharmesh, If you been doing couple of night driving you will realize how beneficial is not to have speedo under steering wheel.
The info lights are always distracting in conventional speedo under steerin wheel.
I drive my punto at night with opaque stickers on led's and speedo. One can notice it on couple of pics in my ownership.
I have done many night trips, and have no issue with the lights on speedo. One thing we could do is adjust steering in the way we cannot see the speedo. [lol].

But I still like Vista. one hell of car. Although never driven it. But I want to do it sometime sooner.

Top Bottom