Tata Tigor XZA (P): My New Grey Beauty

Well, I apologize for being late to the party here. Many congrats on your Tigor purchase, bbrave! Wish you millions of happy miles with the car.

That occassional 1st gear sudden acceleration is there in Tiago as well, more so when the Air Con kicks in right after we land from a speed hump, adding more load on the engine. I have learnt to live with it and usually go easy on A pedal after a speed hump. Glad you got a dashcam too, a must required accessory for car owners in India. Is it capacitor or battery based?

BTW, your photographs are great and will make anyone love the Tigor's looks. Happy driving [drive]

Thread Starter #122
Well, I apologize for being late to the party here. Many congrats on your Tigor purchase, bbrave! Wish you millions of happy miles with the car.
Thanks a lot Prabhagar. [:)]

That occassional 1st gear sudden acceleration is there in Tiago as well, more so when the Air Con kicks in right after we land from a speed hump, adding more load on the engine. I have learnt to live with it and usually go easy on A pedal after a speed hump.
Yeah, the SA also told me the same thing that this is a common issue with tiago as well as it shares the same engine and AMT unit. Surprised to know this issue happens in Manual variant too. [surprise]
Have to live with it unless TM comes up with some ECU updates (less likely). Not observed with the default city mode but in M mode only. Actually the M mode is really punchy in AMT, I enjoy driving in that mode.

Glad you got a dashcam too, a must required accessory for car owners in India. Is it capacitor or battery based?
Yes, dashcam is becoming an important accessory these days. The Apeman c470 which I bought, has a charger which works with the 12v socket. just plug-n-play Working nice so far.
BTW, your photographs are great and will make anyone love the Tigor's looks. Happy driving [drive]
Thanks a lot for the compliment. Yes, photography is one of my serious hobbies. So I make Tigor my photo subject too. [:D]

Thread Starter #123
Has any AMT owner done the ecu update to the latest version? Got to know from a Tigor owners whatsapp grp that sa05 is available now.

Thread Starter #124
Third service updates: Done with the third service. Engine oil change, filters change are the major tasks done as per normal standards. Total bill was Rs. 2166/-. I don't have AMC. I've P2P and extended warranty only.

Apart from this, I had a complaint of jerks in 1st gear and sudden surge in 1st gear (M mode). The first complaint looks somewhat ok now. Post-servicing car war running very smooth. Hope it is not temporary due to ECU flashing. [;)] Will check more on it during my daily office drive.

The second one, i.e. sudden surge in M Mode might not be resolved yet. The car surges ahead rapidly sometimes in 1st gear (M mode). This makes it dangerous to use in heavy traffic. Have to use city mode only. I had taken this issue with TM as well but every time they redirect me to the SC and SC says ECU software updates are required for this.[frustration] Not sure if there'll be any solution on this. Any other AMT owners (Tiago/Tigor/Nexon) having this issue?

ECU version is sa04 for xza. The SE checked whether new version is available for update on my request but it was not there. I read from one of the whatsapp groups that sa05 is available but no info about it in our SC. Anyway, the SE was very helpful for checking it. He updated the Harman software and later checked for ECU update. In between we were talking on various topics like Electric version of Tigor, Tata vs Maruti build quality, ECU updates etc. [:)]

Regards,
Bhushan

Last edited:
Third service updates: Done with the third service. Engine oil change, filters change are the major tasks done as per normal standards. Total bill was Rs. 2166/-. I don't have AMC. I've P2P and extended warranty only.

Apart from this, I had a complaint of jerks in 1st gear and sudden surge in 1st gear (M mode). The first complaint looks somewhat ok now. Post-servicing car war running very smooth. Hope it is not temporary due to ECU flashing. [;)] Will check more on it during my daily office drive.

The second one, i.e. sudden surge in M Mode might not be resolved yet. The car surges ahead rapidly sometimes in 1st gear (M mode). This makes it dangerous to use in heavy traffic. Have to use city mode only. I had taken this issue with TM as well but every time they redirect me to the SC and SC says ECU software updates are required for this.[frustration] Not sure if there'll be any solution on this. Any other AMT owners (Tiago/Tigor/Nexon) having this issue?

ECU version is sa04 for xza. The SE checked whether new version is available for update on my request but it was not there. I read from one of the whatsapp groups that sa05 is available but no info about it in our SC. Anyway, the SE was very helpful for checking it. He updated the Harman software and later checked for ECU update. In between we were talking on various topics like Electric version of Tigor, Tata vs Maruti build quality, ECU updates etc. [:)]

Regards,
Bhushan
Hello Bhushan, how are you, is this jerkyness in creep mode or with A pedal inputs? Haven't encountered any issues with my Nexon XMA.
Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #126
Hello Bhushan, how are you, is this jerkyness in creep mode or with A pedal inputs? Haven't encountered any issues with my Nexon XMA.
Regards
Vinod
Hello Vinodji, I'm fine. How are you? Hope you are having a great time with your Nexon. [:D]

Yes, this jerkiness is with A pedal input while in 1st gear. Not in higher gears. Mostly observed in heave traffic. It was quite less earlier. Thus complained it now. Feels much smoother now post-service. Will check more during my regular drive. I even asked the SE during our talk on ECU, AMT. He agreed that this kind of jerkiness is more observed with Tiago and Tigor AMTs. With Nexon's more powerful engine, better gear ratios and better calibration, this issue is not observed.[:)]

Hello Vinodji, I'm fine. How are you? Hope you are having a great time with your Nexon. [:D]

Yes, this jerkiness is with A pedal input while in 1st gear. Not in higher gears. Mostly observed in heave traffic. It was quite less earlier. Thus complained it now. Feels much smoother now post-service. Will check more during my regular drive. I even asked the SE during our talk on ECU, AMT. He agreed that this kind of jerkiness is more observed with Tiago and Tigor AMTs. With Nexon's more powerful engine, better gear ratios and better calibration, this issue is not observed.[:)]
A bit off topic, I've noticed a lag in my Nano XTA in the 1st gear sometimes in eco mode, but not in sports mode, however once the air filter is clean, the drive becomes smoother.
I suppose the latest ECU update could be the fix, for your car, try to talk to another dealer if he has the latest version.
Good luck.

Thread Starter #128
A bit off topic, I've noticed a lag in my Nano XTA in the 1st gear sometimes in eco mode, but not in sports mode, however once the air filter is clean, the drive becomes smoother.
True. The lag becomes negligible in sports mode. But the sports mode gives more head-nods than the default city mode. I think it is more useful on open roads or ghats section for that extra power than in city traffic.

I suppose the latest ECU update could be the fix, for your car, try to talk to another dealer if he has the latest version.
Good luck.
Yep, I'm hoping the same. However even SC people are not sure, what does a particular ECU update contains. [;)]
Sure, I'll check with other dealers for ECU updates. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from anyone about the latest version from our city on our Tigor owners whatsapp group. The info was received from an owner from some other city. Also during my talk with the SE who was doing ECU update, got to know from him that if a particular update is not intended for your car, it may introduce some other issue which can ruin smooth functioning of your car. And since rollback is not possible, your car will be in trouble. As per advice, it is better to stick with the updates you have, unless and untill called by the SC for updates. So have to be careful with it. [:)]

So at the moment, car is running smoothly. Jerks in the first gear are reduced much. Hope this smoothness is not temporary due to ECU flashing. [;)]

Thread Starter #129
Did a trip from Pune - Chiplun - Ratnagiri - Pune. Total about 650 kms. Two adults and a kid. Full boot. Very comfortable and thus enjoyable ride [:)]. Handled some bad roads with ease. Awesome suspension. FE figures were 19-20 in MID. Thus can say it is somewhere around 17 in actual (but anyway, we should not worry about FE figures too much and enjoy the driving part more [;)]). AC usage about 50%. Also used sports mode in between and manual mode as well to enjoy the driving experience. Otherwise most of the diving was in city mode only. Overall it gives a super pleasure on highway rides.

Ready for the drive
Tigor_TAI_june9.jpeg

Posing on a beach...
Tigor2_TAI_june9_bw.jpeg

Thread Starter #130

So as expected, the smoothness was temporary due to ECU flashing. After few days post-3rd service, the jerks are still present in 1st gear during A pedal input/release. Not much in higher gears. I'll be checking my firend's Tigor XZA as well to check the intensity. He is also facing the same issue. May be ECU update from TM might be the only solution as this looks typical AMT behavior (tiago, tigor etc, Not with Nexon due to above mentioned reasons :) ).

Another observation from my side regarding this jerks issue - Yesterday, during my daily drive, I used M mode almost all the time. And in the evening during heavy traffic, these jerks were prominent in city mode. Today, while commuting to office, I used city mode only and jerks were quite less compared to yesterday. Similar heavy traffic density. So I wonder if using M mode or Sports mode often, affects the ECU data which in turn results in such behavior. Because we know that ECU collects data related to our driving habits/patterns (not sure in what form, I'm not so geek in this regard) and tries to adjust accordingly as we use it further. So may be using such 'mix' modes can be one of the reason here. Let me know your thoughts on it.

Thread Starter #131
Completed one year today with my Tigor xza. :)

Things I liked-
  • Sporty looks. Just awesome :)
  • Awesome ride quality, especially on highways. Very stable at high speeds.
  • Suspension handles the bad roads well.
  • Harman music system is rocking.
  • Comfortable drive position due to seat height adjustment
  • Huge boot space
  • Sports mode is very good to use in hilly/ghat sections. Also engine response is pretty good in m mode. Feels more controlled.
  • Pretty good FE, 11-12(tankful) in heavy traffic like Pune and 18-20 on highways.

Things which can be improved-
  • Jerkiness in 1st gear on A pedal press-release. Especially observed in stop-go situations when you need to accelerate over creep speed, while still being in 1st gear. Not sure but may be increased with sa04 ecu update.
  • AMT downshifts quickly to 1st. Better if it can hold longer on to 2nd gear for a smoother drive. This is more prominent when passing over a speed breaker.
  • Some niggles and fit-finish issues (rear door misalignment, fuel lid opener not opening properly, bonnet holder socket broken in just a week after purchase. But the thankfully taken care by SC well)
  • Typical AMT Lag in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.
  • Sudden surge in M mode. Car surges ahead aggressively, with a light tap on A pedal in manual mode, making it difficult to use in heavy traffic.

Fortunately no other issues like burning smell, dashboard rattling, door noise. Keeping my friends crossed though. :) For me, it'll be great if the jerkyness is reduced in 1st gear by an ecu update. I can live with the lag being a sedate driver. Thankfully sc is near my house and so far pretty good experience with them...:)

after wash.jpeg

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Jerkiness in 1st gear on A pedal press-release is likely they'rein all AMT's, I think. Recently, I was driving my friend's Celerio AMT and I felt jerkier in that car than my Tigor. May be in a stop-go situation, first allow the creep function to set and then press the A pedal which may solve the problem somehow !?

Thread Starter #133
Jerkiness in 1st gear on A pedal press-release is likely they'rein all AMT's, I think. Recently, I was driving my friend's Celerio AMT and I felt jerkier in that car than my Tigor. May be in a stop-go situation, first allow the creep function to set and then press the A pedal which may solve the problem somehow !?
That's right Nairji, it looks like the AMT thing. Even I've driven my friend's Tigor xza and felt the jerks in stop-go situations. But yes, as far as I remember, these were not so prominent earlier. [roll] From the reviews I've read, the amt in MS(celerio, alto, dzire) is more jerkier than in Tigor. Only Hyundai has implemented it better in the new Santro with electric actuators.

Yes, I allow my car to creep for a second or two and then use A pedal. Also, I try to give a little(5-10%) A pedal input as far as possible in slower speeds. This also reduces those jerks to some extent. Have to cope up like that. But I really hope a proper ecu update will be there.

Completed one year today with my Tigor xza. :)

Things which can be improved-
  • Jerkiness in 1st gear on A pedal press-release. Especially observed in stop-go situations when you need to accelerate over creep speed, while still being in 1st gear. Not sure but may be increased with sa04 ecu update.
  • AMT downshifts quickly to 1st. Better if it can hold longer on to 2nd gear for a smoother drive. This is more prominent when passing over a speed breaker.
  • Some niggles and fit-finish issues (rear door misalignment, fuel lid opener not opening properly, bonnet holder socket broken in just a week after purchase. But the thankfully taken care by SC well)
  • Typical AMT Lag in shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.
  • Sudden surge in M mode. Car surges ahead aggressively, with a light tap on A pedal in manual mode, making it difficult to use in heavy traffic.

Very Rightly Observed, To Add to Your List i would like to make the following observation as well:

1. When trying to coast, the AMT decelerates faster than a regular Manual resulting in quicker down shifts.

2. To derive better performance and less jerks i have adopted myself to driving AMT,(When the car up shifts at about 2000-2200 RPM i take my foot off the pedal for whole 1-2 seconds and then step on A pedal) Its difficult in stop go traffic but reduces jerkiness a lot

3. Mine is a Tiago AMT but considering the same engine i believe the behaviour would be same, To Get better fuel efficiency once i step on the pedal with lightest of foot the car picks up pace really well yet giving good FE.

4. I wish the car could upshift at about 1700-1800 RPM as i have hardly driven the car in 5th gear in A Mode, yes in Manual you can upshift early but as soon as the speed drops below 50 it downshifts to 4th gear so failed attempt at this also.(this would further improve FE i guess)

I also have a Question to ask not you personally but every AMT Owner

When Driving at constant speed in any gear my Insta FE bar hardly goes beyond half way mark with AC only in 5th gear its up by 2 points of the half way mark. is it the same with everyone?

On the Contrary i have driven ignis AMT which drives past 20-25 mark on insta FE at constant speed. I expected Tiago to be a little more Fuel Efficient than this.
When Average speeds 20-30 kmph with AC 12-13 kmpl
When average speeds 30-40 kmph with AC 13.5-15.5 kmpl
When average speeds 50-60 kmph with AC 16-17 kmpl
Not tested Highway yet

Thread Starter #135
Thanks Vipul. Here are my replies -

1. When trying to coast, the AMT decelerates faster than a regular Manual resulting in quicker down shifts.
- Haven't experienced this much as I'm a sedate driver. But yes, sometimes in such situations, it downshifts quickly. Read somewhere that it is expected behavior for overtaking purpose.

2. To derive better performance and less jerks i have adopted myself to driving AMT,(When the car up shifts at about 2000-2200 RPM i take my foot off the pedal for whole 1-2 seconds and then step on A pedal) Its difficult in stop go traffic but reduces jerkiness a lot.
- Yes, even I'm doing the same and it works quite well. For stop-go traffic, I try to use creep more as it is smooth. When some more acceleration is needed above that, I give very light(10%) press on A pedal as far as possible. This also is proving quite effective for me to reduce jerks.

4. I wish the car could upshift at about 1700-1800 RPM as i have hardly driven the car in 5th gear in A Mode, yes in Manual you can upshift early but as soon as the speed drops below 50 it downshifts to 4th gear so failed attempt at this also.(this would further improve FE i guess)
- That's right. upshifts are bit higher. It should have been below 2000.

""" I also have a Question to ask not you personally but every AMT Owner
When Driving at constant speed in any gear my Insta FE bar hardly goes beyond half way mark with AC only in 5th gear its up by 2 points of the half way mark. is it the same with everyone? """
- I think from 3rd gear onward, FE bar is beyond halfway mark at constant speed, though I need to check that again.
Are those FE numbers by tankful method? f yes, then they are pretty good for city traffic. I'm getting 11-12(tankful) in my Tigor in Pune's heavy traffic, with a/c hardly on. On highways, I usually get about 18-20.

Top Bottom