Tata Tigor (Kite-5) Compact Sedan Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot agree completely.

Diesel engines in Tigor are underpowered, but the Petrol engines are at par with the competition.
Size is similar to competitors as well.
I second your opinion!! I spent full day and had TD for both Nexon and Tigor last week. I can say that Tigor Petrol is not so much underpowered as discussed in different forum unless you are a racer and drive your car on highway regularly at 120-130kmph. It is perfect for city drive and occasional Highway drive. The 3-cylinder petrol engine there in the market since ages. The VW Polo petrol has similar engine (not TSI) spec as Tigor and the kerb weight of both the car is almost similar. However, the NVH of Tigor is not so much as in Polo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second your opinion!! I spent full day and had TD for both Nexon and Tigor last week. I can say that Tigor Petrol is not so much underpowered as discussed in different forum unless you are a racer and drive your car on highway regularly at 120-130kmph. It is perfect for city drive and occasional Highway drive. The 3-cylinder petrol engine there in the market since ages. The VW Polo petrol has similar engine (not TSI) spec as Tigor and the kerb weight of both the car is almost similar. However, the NVH of Tigor is not so much as in Polo.
I beg to differ.Test drove the TIGOR petrol.I felt the vehicle underpowered, the engine noise too was a bit too intrusive. I dont know if it is because i am regualrly driving the old Baleno and the Aria 150 hp as our regular rides.But even the A star engine felt way more peppy than this.Never driven a polo petrol, so cant comment.
What the TIGOR urgently needs is attention to any issues reported by owners and TATA if you are reading this , please plonk the Nexon's petrol engine into this car, the gorgeous styling and able chassis deserves a better engine.
I test drove the Nexon petrol as well.What a car.The Nexon could be TATAs turning point.

I beg to differ.Test drove the TIGOR petrol.I felt the vehicle underpowered, the engine noise too was a bit too intrusive. I dont know if it is because i am regualrly driving the old Baleno and the Aria 150 hp as our regular rides.But even the A star engine felt way more peppy than this.Never driven a polo petrol, so cant comment.
What the TIGOR urgently needs is attention to any issues reported by owners and TATA if you are reading this , please plonk the Nexon's petrol engine into this car, the gorgeous styling and able chassis deserves a better engine.
I test drove the Nexon petrol as well.What a car.The Nexon could be TATAs turning point.
You liked Nexon petrol. How was noise level, first gear accelaration in city mode. Sports mode its good but average is pathetic

I said "tigor is not so much underpowered", pls don't compare it with Baleno or any other high tensile steel loaded car!! I know two Tigor petrol owners and both are satisfied with performance. I had TD of Tigor petrol and Nexon on the same day. I felt Tigor is better than Nexon petrol (in eco and city mode only) as far as drivability is concerned in city traffic. Pls note I forgot to test Nexon in sports mode as I was too busy looking at its superb interiors. We actually need to understand our requirement first while buying a car. I prefer safe car and not bothered too much about FE and super powerful engine. Currently, I own a 10 years old swift zxi!! I planning to buy a new car. I would have bought a Maruti car but all these maruti's new generation tin shell car loaded with high tensile steel putting me off. I feel I may finally settle with Tigor or Nexon. May be, I will another TD of Nexon and then finally choose one of these. Both are VFM.

You liked Nexon petrol. How was noise level, first gear accelaration in city mode. Sports mode its good but average is pathetic
The Nexon is a revelation .I test drove petrol twice , once on the highway and once in city rush hour traffic.I could make out the good balance of the car even on city roads. Refinement is seriously good, the driving position is spot on, the seating is great and out on the highway, my God the handling surprised me, car with such ground clearance behaving so well to steering inputs [clap].I did test it majority in Sports mode only, so can't comment on other modes but they seemed okay.
As far as Tigor is concerned, I will stick to my earlier impression. The car needs a better petrol engine and the interior fit and finish has rough edges. Somewhere during the development stage somebody wondered ..hey Maruti sells cars by the bucketloads...so lets cut costs too in areas where people don't notice. How else can you explain the loose gear lever housing as pointed out by Akash in his ownership thread.
I tried pulling it out in the zest. Its fixed nice and fine.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
As far as Tigor is concerned, I will stick to my earlier impression. The car needs a better petrol engine and the interior fit and finish has rough edges. Somewhere during the development stage somebody wondered ..hey Maruti sells cars by the bucketloads...so lets cut costs too in areas where people don't notice. How else can you explain the loose gear lever housing as pointed out by Akash in his ownership thread.
Buddy, as an owner of Tigor I can say that it is no non-sense city commuter and is a smooth car when driven in speeds of 80-90 km/h. In City mode drive I have not had anything which I can actually complain about. It has clocked nearly 1900 kms so far. However, having driven the Tigor in Eco mode for short time-period, I did feel that the engine in this particular mode is mainly working to extract the best FE thereby compromising on the performance to some extent. This I had mentioned in my ownership review too.

"when I drove in ECO mode, there was a apparent difference in performance of the car. It is mainly tuned for giving best possible FE. I felt the car lagged in acceleration and the effort to perform was clearly evident in ECO mode."
1.2 Revotron was introduced in Tiago 1.5 years ago and prior to the introduction, it had gone through a endurance / drive test for about 50K Kms. There were a lot of rough edges in it when it was introduced in Tiago but then Tata worked on it and when the same engine came in Tigor, it did have a better all-round refinement. As far as my experience goes with my car, I am so far happy with it.

Coming to the interiors, yes, I agree there are rough edges there and the biggest one is the mis-aligned glove box but so far my car did not have any issues with gear lever housing.

Regards

Akash

Coming to the interiors, yes, I agree there are rough edges there and the biggest one is the mis-aligned glove box but so far my car did not have any issues with gear lever housing.
I apologise for the goof up Akash. Yes this particular issue was reported by nikhilmendu in the Tigor technical issues and solutions thread started by you.
What irritates me is its not an isolated incident, the overdrive long term report of the Tigor mentions the very same issue with picture and in the comments section, a tiago owner has mentioned that he too has faced the same issue.
2017 Tata Tigor XZ petrol long term review: Introduction - Overdrive.
Now Tigor has been developed after Tiago. Why has it been not rectified in the R&D stage itself before it gets highlighted by an an auto publication in its long term report.
I am sure people from TATA are following these threads. If they take the feedback seriously and bring swift redressal , they can iron out these distracting issues from what is essentially a good car. Enough said.[:)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
the overdrive long term report of the Tigor mentions the very same issue with picture and in the comments section, a tiago owner has mentioned that he too has faced the same issue.
I did see the pic and this is surely a matter of concern. However, I would like to know from the other owners of Tigor who bought the cars from June-2017 batch, if they had the same issue? I feel this issue could possibly be in the initial batch of Tigor.

Now Tigor has been developed after Tiago. Why has it been not rectified in the R&D stage itself before it gets highlighted by an an auto publication in its long term report.
As a owner, I did not have this issue in past 2 months and let me tell you the same plastic panel that is in question here, on that very panel, in my car the entire gear lock assembly has been rested. If in the newer batch as well the plastic or hinge was of poor quality then it should have got mis-aligned in my car too owing to the added fitment of gear lock. So, I feel, this issue has been worked on by TML. Yet if any owner from the newer batch of Tigor (i.e from June-2017) can report this issue here, I will surely bring this to the dealer's notice and try to put a word to TML too.

I am sure people from TATA are following these threads. If they take the feedback seriously and bring swift redressal , they can iron out these distracting issues from what is essentially a good car. Enough said.
Absolutely!

Regards

Akash

I apologise for the goof up Akash. Yes this particular issue was reported by nikhilmendu in the Tigor technical issues and solutions thread started by you.
What irritates me is its not an isolated incident, the overdrive long term report of the Tigor mentions the very same issue with picture and in the comments section, a tiago owner has mentioned that he too has faced the same issue.
2017 Tata Tigor XZ petrol long term review: Introduction - Overdrive.
I am sure people from TATA are following these threads. If they take the feedback seriously and bring swift redressal , they can iron out these distracting issues from what is essentially a good car. Enough said.[:)]
TASS fixed the gear lever issue in first service, it's fit perfectly now been couple of months and couple of thousand kms.

Re: Tata Motors Nexon Now Launched at Rs.5.85 Lakhs

Wow great numbers for Tata Motors !
Also another good news: Tata Tigor AMT launching soon to take on Dzire zxi & vxi AMT s.
tapatalk_1509556562375.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Tata Motors Nexon Now Launched at Rs.5.85 Lakhs

Wow great numbers for Tata Motors !
Also another good news: Tata Tigor AMT launching soon to take on Dzire zxi & vxi AMT s.
Thanks for the update, this will be available in both XTA and XZA trims.

Hope they have both these options in the Nexon as well, soon.

2017 Tata Tigor AMT launched at Rs 5.75 lakh.

The five-speed AMT gearbox is only available in the petrol Revotron engine that displaces 1.2 litres and puts out 85hp and 114Nm of peak torque.

Tata is offering the Tigor AMT in two higher-spec trims – XTA and XZA – priced at Rs 5.75 lakh and Rs 6.22 lakh, respectively (prices ex-showroom, Delhi). This is an increase of about Rs 40,000 compared to their respective manual transmission versions.

ACI

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Official Press Release: Tata TIGOR portfolio expands with trendy, stylish AMT variants

TIGOR AMT.JPG

Key Highlights:

Available in XZA and XTA variants with Automated Manual Transmission (AMT)

First in class ‘Sports’ mode for a peppy drive experience

Manual Mode to shift gears at a flick of a gear stick for an engaging experience

Creep Feature for heavy traffic maneuverability and parking ease

Mumbai, November 2, 2017: Tata Motors has added to its range of models equipped with Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) by expanding its sedan portfolio. Today, TATA Motors announced the addition of two AMT variants to the Tigor Styleback sedan range. Available in XZA and XTA variants, with the Revotron 1.2L petrol engine - the XTA variant is priced at INR. 5.75 Lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi and the top-end XZA variant is priced at INR 6.22 Lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi. The new AMT cars will be on sale across the country in over 600 Tata Motors sales outlets, from today.

The TIGOR AMT will further strengthen the company’s addressable market range. The new TIGOR AMT brings global and contemporary design with advanced technological features targeted at young and dynamic customers and comes with the first-in-class Sports Mode, which gives one a spirited and peppy driving experience.

According to Mr. Vivek Srivatsa – Head - Marketing, PVBU, Tata Motors – “Given the current traffic scenario and growing driver fatigue levels, an AMT is the perfect solution to bringing back the joy of driving in a city, without compromising on fuel efficiency. As per our turnaround strategy, we are working with a renewed focus and energy to improve our market share and bring products that align with customers’ aspirational and practical requirements. Keeping with the trend of this growing segment, we introduced the AMT variants of the hatchback TIAGO, which has so far received a tremendous response. Now, with the TIGOR AMT, we continue to reach out to our customers with stylish and feature loaded products that offer best-in-class technology and design engineering.”

The TIGOR AMT is equipped with four gear positions – Automatic, Neutral, Reverse and Manual for smooth and regular acceleration to offer a comfortable and stress-free driving experience. In addition, it boasts of a first-in-class Sports mode, for a spirited and peppy driving experience. The Manual mode helps shift gears at a flick of a gear stick for an engaging experience.

For ease of manoeuvrability in heavy traffic conditions and during parking, the TIGOR AMT comes with an in-built ‘creep’ feature, which enables the car to crawl as soon as the pressure is eased off the brake pedal, without pressing the accelerator. This function also prevents the car from rolling back when it starts from an inclined position.
Regards

Akash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom