Tata Tiago: Technical Issues & Solutions

Hi everyone,

I have faced a problem
Outside temprature : 44 C
Driving speed: 110 KMPH
AC: On,
Load: 3 people
I was driving on 23 April 12 AM noon. I have almost completed 250 KM from Lucknow TAJ expressway. Suddenly my car started slowing down 100,80,70... untill it stopped. I restarted after 5 minutes but again after 2 Km same problem occured.

I waited for 30 minutes. After that I started and completed the rest 270 KM without any problem.

My question is
1. Is it a heating problem?
2. Is it happened to anyone else.
Vinay I mentioned it earlier I felt such problem where car was losing steam and not taking any accelerator input. This happened to me 2 times and was scary. I was on AC and had idled and slightly drove sometime back in AC+Eco mode before such incident occurred. But both the times I switched off AC as I suspected something related to it and my car again became normal. Tata hasn't been able to tune AC and power correctly in Tiago is what I feel. Just swiftch off AC and check if it works. Not sure if its some ecu thing if you run on eco mode with ac and switch back to city mode.

Having issue like the below pic

View attachment 223732

And you want to backlight on the both rotary knobs, like this

View attachment 223733

Then this setting can be changed from 'Illumination' settings on the speedo console (IC). NOT through Harman service menu.

Short video for the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7Vw6NqP6o

Special Thanks to TAIger modifii and TAIger Prabhagar.

Did you notice that backlight of power and volume button is missing in pictures?
Normal?

Is it possible to know the exact liters in the fuel tank at any given point of time.The fuel gauge has 6 bars but do not know what value to put for each bar.

This issue is due to the wide difference between the mid economy figures & actual as per tankful method.My mid shows it as 21.1kmpl but actual has come to 18.32kmpl.Since it takes a long time to arrive at actual figures by tankful method how to determine short trips mileage of say 150-250 kms.

My last trip to Ooty yesterday showed 15.3kmpl on way up & after comming down it shows 21.7kmpl as per mid.car was filled to brim & it took 34litres.( add 2 litres in tank)total 36litres.today after 15 kms in city the 2nd bar is down & it shows 4 bars left.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
car was filled to brim & it took 34litres.( add 2 litres in tank)total 36litres.today after 15 kms in city the 2nd bar is down & it shows 4 bars left.
Well, if 2 bars are down and 4 are left still then in total there are 6 bars on ODO when fuel is full i.e full tank. So, if 36 lts of fuel was filled in total then per bar it becomes 36/6 = 6 Ltrs per bar. 2 Bars down means 12 lts and remaining fuel is 24 ltr (36 ltr - 12 ltr= 24 ltr). I am guessing here that something is wrong with fuel machine at the station, I cant believe for 15 km the car used 12 Ltr of fuel. 15 km in 12 ltr of fuel means: 15 km / 12 Ltr = 1.25 km/Lt which is totally absurd. Was the fuel filled right after the fuel cap was opened or the attendant placed the nozzle in the tank after 10-15 seconds of opening the fuel cap? As per my observation, when we get fuel filled in the car, there is gas in the fuel tank which needs to come out and it takes about 5-10 seconds. It is advisable to place the nozzle only after 5-10 seconds of opening the cap so that the gas accumulated is vented out. If the gas remains in there, then with the filling of the fuel, quantity of fuel is less and due to gas the indication shows full as the gas takes space of the remaining fuel. The attendants often take advantage of this and short-filling happens. You can only see what the meter of fuel machine shows in this case. The quantity that goes inside isn't seen. This is my observation buddy.

Regards

Akash

Dear Akash,
2 points i wish to clarify:
1.The bars are not 6 liters each for sure.each bar clearly has a different value.
2.My Ooty trip was 202 kms & city use of 15kms total 217kms. then the 2nd bar comes down.

In the absence of an accurate MID what to do? In mahindra logan it was possible to know the litres by long press of the mid stalk but no such thing in tiago.

Thread Starter #54
My mid shows it as 21.1kmpl but actual has come to 18.32kmpl.Since it takes a long time to arrive at actual figures by tankful method how to determine short trips mileage of say 150-250 kms.
Tank full method will be accurate even for <150 kms. Please use an app like Fuelio to easily keep track of your mileage. I just topped up my fuel tank with only 210 KM of running since last tank full. MID was 22.5 whereas true mileage was 20.X kpl.

In the absence of an accurate MID what to do? In mahindra logan it was possible to know the litres by long press of the mid stalk but no such thing in tiago.
An alternate would be to use OBD scanner and read out the Fuel Level % from ECU. Again, these values are not validated against actual fuel in the tank, they would just be approximations based on sensors in fuel tank/pump.

car was filled to brim & it took 34litres.( add 2 litres in tank)total 36litres.today after 15 kms in city the 2nd bar is down & it shows 4 bars left.
After filling, did the filling guy wait for a few seconds, give a mild shake to the car with his hand and fill some more fuel again or did he just shut it immediately? The thing is, the instrument cluster can only display what the sensors in the fuel tank tell it. During filling, bubbles will form and they'll take up a lot of space. If that was the case, then the tank wasn't actually full to the brim. The sensors might have just sensed the frothy top layer and shown all six bars and after a while they'd have dropped. Moreover, there is no definite measure of how many litres each bar denotes. For example a single bar can mean either there's 8 litres remaining or maybe just one litre remaining in the tank, there's no way of knowing. The fuel gauge is just an indicator, nothing more. The readings will even change on inclines!

Last edited:
Dear Brain,
Diesel was filled properly & car was shaken twice. Air bubbles ruled out. Will try out the Fuelio app.
That's good then. Yeah do try that and it's always better to use the MID as just a reference mark and nothing more.
P.S: I know small posts one after another are discouraged here and I'm really sorry but just so you know, it's Brian, not Brain[;)]

Hello guys,

I have Tata Tiago xz. Recently we experienced an issue with it's Herman information system.
It suddenly stops and it will not even turn on. Because of that reverse parking sensor, steering mounted audio controller, phone controller nothing will work.
I went to nearest Tata service center. And they just removed battery connection and reconnected and system was on and was working fine.
Now it again I am facing same issue. It's too annoying that it happens again and again.
Do anyone here experienced same issue? Or anyone know solution for this?

Noticed just today.

When you don't wear seatbelt, and reverse IC doesn't display any seatbelt warning. But as and when you shift to first gear seatbelt warning is lit up on IC.

Note: I always buckle up,but for correcting my parking I noticed it and didn't buckle up. Pardon me for the mistake.

Did another tankfull yesterday as the MID showed only 37kms as DTE.First filled 1.6 litres (Rs.100) as an emergency measure.But it did not reflect anywhere & even the DTE kept on reducing & went till 28kms.But on doing tankfull the tank took only 31.5 litres of diesel that too after shaking the car a lot to clear any bubbles in fuel tank if any.

The DTE then shows a range of 710kms.The average mileage shown by tripmeter was 22.5kmpl.

Top Bottom