Tata Tiago Review & Pictures: Tata's Tiara

Re: Tata Tiago Review & Pictures: Tata's Tiago

Welcome to the TAI family Shiva sir! Of course, your review is the most beautifully written yet and decorated with beautiful pics. Glad to see you enjoying your Tia.
Thanks @DJ bro

Tiago is a beautiful little VFM car from Tata Motors,Hope I can use it for atleast 5-8 More Years.

Previously I was using Alto Lx 05 Model,which was pretty good and I still miss it sometimes.

2.They replace a synchronize mechanism in gear box.And after that gear box is butter smooth and Mileage also got improved.
Congratulations Shiva and welcome to TAI & Tiago family[:)]. From what I understand, your gear stick vibration and gear box issue were resolved by replacing synchronize mechanism. Can you please throw some more light on this? My Tiago's gear stick vibrates (a lot) at idle and have issues slotting into reverse gear at times (gets stuck at half way). Wanted to know more before I push service folks on this further.

3.At first gear the pulling was less and I never got an opportunity to travel above 4th gear.Almost i used to stay in 3rd gear.Sorry I don't remember the RPM
This I feel is a subjective opinion. I felt this initially but feeling much better as I clocked more miles (1500KM now).

4.12-14 Kmpl was random drive,Mostly on curvy state highways and city B2B road with or without A/C.
Here are my mileage figures:
Full Tank #1: 11.8 kmpl --> Mixed city & highway
Full Tank #2: 13.9 kmpl --> Mixed city & highway
Full Tank #3: 10.6 kmpl --> More than 80% city
Full Tank #4: 15.1 kmpl --> More than 70% highway
Note: I ran more than 300kms on all the 4 full tanks and filled at the same petrol pump.

Last edited:

Congratulations Shiva and welcome to TAI & Tiago family[:)]. From what I understand, your gear stick vibration and gear box issue were resolved by replacing synchronize mechanism. Can you please throw some more light on this? My Tiago's gear stick vibrates (a lot) at idle and have issues slotting into reverse gear at times (gets stuck at half way). Wanted to know more before I push service folks on this further.

This I feel is a subjective opinion. I felt this initially but feeling much better as I clocked more miles (1500KM now).

Note: I ran more than 300kms on all the 4 full tanks and filled at the same petrol pump.
@Prabhanagar After the synchronize mechanism changed,The cars performance has really changed a lot (x10 times) than what it was before.

The mileage what i got after repair was almost 17-18 Kmpl on highway with a/c,heater On on wet road condition.And I never crossed 2.5K rpm.So that that RPM the NVH is very minimal almost silent,And i could hear only the sound of Tyres Rubbing the Tar Road (SUVish feel)

But it bad road condition i could get almost 11-13KMPL and at city limits I could get 14-16Kmpl

Even when vehicle is in Idle condition the vibration are very very less and NVH is almost null.

And Regarding Reverse Gear Issue,It sometimes get stuck,and this issue is there is Maruthi Suzuki Alto as well.And its not major I hope..anyways I will ask TML people to look into issue.

Thing is Even if Reverse Gear doesn't fall properly,The Sensors gets activated.So to avoid this issue I usually put 1st Gear or 5th Gear and then put Reverse.

One more issue which I forgot to mention was the Seat Adjusters & Recliners are not that good,It gets stuck sometimes.Were as Alto had a good one.But this issue is negligible.(I never sleep in car [sleep])

Testing ECO Mode is still pending.

Hi,

I am getting decent mileage for my car XT Petrol.

getting around 18 on average city 50/50 AC and city/eco mode (my odo is now little less than 600)

latest trip showed 23 on city/highway mix 30/70% with eco mode without AC. It is just 42 km trip, but on average I am getting 21-23 on highway

3d6d055ab5.jpg

I am getting little vibrations at low speeds (may improve after my first service), but around 2000 rpm, it is really smooth and nice and I never exceeded 80 km.

Apart from vibes, overall I am very much happy with the car.

If you want real enjoyment drive in City mode. Eco mode is fine with 2 passengers, but full 4-5 seating and AC it lacks some power especially at low speeds and you need to push bit hard. In City mode, I never felt any drop in power or performance, really Fantastico!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

I am getting decent mileage for my car XT Petrol.

getting around 18 on average city 50/50 AC and city/eco mode (my odo is now little less than 600)

latest trip showed 23 on city/highway mix 30/70% with eco mode without AC. It is just 42 km trip, but on average I am getting 21-23 on highway

View attachment 203839

I am getting little vibrations at low speeds (may improve after my first service), but around 2000 rpm, it is really smooth and nice and I never exceeded 80 km.

Apart from vibes, overall I am very much happy with the car.

If you want real enjoyment drive in City mode. Eco mode is fine with 2 passengers, but full 4-5 seating and AC it lacks some power especially at low speeds and you need to push bit hard. In City mode, I never felt any drop in power or performance, really Fantastico!
Hi Murali,
You seem to extract nice FE from your Tiago [clap]. Do you calculate FE numbers by tank full method?
I agree with you on city/eco modes, eco is good without AC and you add more people and turn ON AC, its very sluggish.

Last edited:

Hi Murali,
You seem to extract nice FE from your Tiago [clap]. Do you calculate FE numbers by tank full method?
I agree with you on city/eco modes, eco is good without AC and you add more people and turn ON AC, its very sluggish.
Hi Prabhagar sir,

I did not check by tank full method. I did not need to travel more than 20-25 KM at a time so far, but I will check full tank method as I am planning some 300 KM trip in the coming days.

One doubt is that how accurate avg mileage shown on meter because I noticed it to increase when I drive in 5th gear and decrease in lower gears, I feel, somewhat quickly. I think it will be more clear by full tank method on a long drive.

But overall, my ODO is now 594 and avg FE showing 17.6, which I think good in all circumstances.

Guys, relax and enjoy the car. With just few 100's of kms on Odo and not even the 1st service done, pls dont count on kms returned per liter. You folks have purchased the car to run at least for tens of thousands of kms and car is not only about kitna deta hain. Any car would give the good results after 1st service and after 2nd service, it gives best. Keep revving safely with your darling and it will never disappoint you.
Our Nano used to give 11-12 kmpl in dense hyd roads where even Honda Civic returns better figure but post 5000 kms, it gives around 16 kmpl in B2B traffic which is very good IMHO.
Anything with moving traffic, it settles at least at 20. hyd - blr trips used to give us 24-26 when run between 75-90 kmph. So Tiago which is better than Nano will yield more as you drive more.
If you keep an eye on RPM and Instant mileage, you are not enjoying your drive and putting yourselves at risk.

Drive safe.

Guys, relax and enjoy the car. With just few 100's of kms on Odo and not even the 1st service done, pls dont count on kms returned per liter. You folks have purchased the car to run at least for tens of thousands of kms and car is not only about kitna deta hain. Any car would give the good results after 1st service and after 2nd service, it gives best. Keep revving safely with your darling and it will never disappoint you.
Our Nano used to give 11-12 kmpl in dense hyd roads where even Honda Civic returns better figure but post 5000 kms, it gives around 16 kmpl in B2B traffic which is very good IMHO.
Anything with moving traffic, it settles at least at 20. hyd - blr trips used to give us 24-26 when run between 75-90 kmph. So Tiago which is better than Nano will yield more as you drive more.
If you keep an eye on RPM and Instant mileage, you are not enjoying your drive and putting yourselves at risk.

Drive safe.
Hello Torquehead, I agree with you here and not quite worried about gas mileage (ODO - 1600). It's just my habit to record FE numbers every time I fill my tank. In fact I have started to go north of 3K RPM today and the engine note is so good to my ears. [thumbsup]

Drive safe.
Hello Torquehead,

I agree with you, it is just initial stages and not to come to conclusion about FE or worry about it. I am just eager to see how it is performing and very happy about it.

Yes, you are right not to keep eye on RPM or IM every time [clap], fraction of second is enough to put you at risk (though I am not doing, just checking readings after every travel).

I was looking for anything around 20 kmpl with good power, looks, and spacious (I am 5'11) and this is the car, which gives all what I wanted. All in all, I am quite satisfied with this and enjoying driving.

All Tiago owners, I wish good luck and safe driving with lot of enjoyment with this Fantastico!

Hi guys we have booked another Tiago berry red diesel top end for my sister in law, my sister in law and her husband took my Tiago to hyd, they fell in love with Tiago once back they canceled there celerio booking and booked Tiago today. Funny thing they are loyal Maruti costumer, they own swift caiz now 1st Tata in there family.

quick question to all those who are booking Tiago XZ Variant.
Isn't it a great VFM if you book Aktiv instead of XZ. Just mere 30K gives you extremely beautiful looking body kit, good looking alloy wheels i think its an understatement to say the least IMO those are the best alloy wheels you get keeping in my mind the 30K bracket you also get glossy black roof top and some sticker work.
i think its worth going for Aktiv and wait for a month or too.

Last edited:
I was very much interested in Tata Tiago XZ Diesel but the design flaw as discussed in the post #1928 at the link below has changed my mind & made me to rethink my decision.qhttp://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-sector/11557-tatas-new-hatchback-zica-now-renamed-tiago-129.html#post502212

What could be the alternative option ?
To remove front Passenger Airbag or uncouple the wiring harness of it after buying the car or somebody should throw some light on this matter.
I'm not much interested in buying Non-Airbag version or version lacking Crucial safety equipment.

quick question to all those who are booking Tiago XZ Variant.
Isn't it a great VFM if you book Aktiv instead of XZ. Just mere 30K gives you extremely beautiful looking body kit, good looking alloy wheels i think its an understatement to say the least IMO those are the best alloy wheels you get keeping in my mind the 30K bracket you also get glossy black roof top and some sticker work.
i think its worth going for Aktiv and wait for a month or too.
Bro, I dont think we get the entire Activ kit for 30k. My dealer quoted 25k just for Activ bumpers and skirts. Please double check with your dealer or TML. If we do get entire kit for 30k, it's a steal as you mentioned.

Top Bottom