Tata Tiago NRG Launched

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Tiago NRG receives over 3,000 bookings

When the Tiago NRG was launched roughly a month ago, Tata Motors had said it hoped the new cross-hatch would further bolster Tiago sales, and so far, it has just done that, garnering a notable number of bookings - over 3,000 - since its launch on September 12.

Read:

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-tiago-nrg-duralloy-wheels-12280866.html

Is it true that those wheels are actually not alloy wheels, but steel wheels with very wheel caps ??
can owners please comment ?! Just intrigued
Yes and no.

So basically, they have added few things to steel to make the steel rim stronger, so its not steel completely. However with a common notion of how alloy wheels are, they are more like steel rim ... and bad part is they have put on fibre or plastic or carbonate material wheel caps which for a uneducated person may consider it to be a regular alloy wheel. if you remove the cap then you will see a kind of 4 spoke steel-alloy rim.

Note on Dura Alloy:
DURALLOY® provides effective protection from friction and vibration corrosion via a crack-free, precise, thin and ultrapure metallic chromium layer.

DURALLOY makes it possible to submerge a nodular structured surface in layers, and with a low process temperature of under 70°C, the structure of the base material stays the same during the plating process. This gives materials shape and hardness stability.

With its protection against wear and corrosion, DURALLOY increases the wear resistance of the material, making it suitable for use in applications such as gears or shaft-hub-joints.

By using a nodular structure, the layer of coating provides chemical resistance and material hardness. DURALLOY layers are most suited to the following areas:

High-temperature performance
Corrosion protection
Low friction
Lubrication
Protection against friction and vibration corrosion
Moving surfaces tribology
Wear protection
Materials that are coated with DURALLOY can be used in a range of areas, including:

Automotive sector
Decorative applications
Printing industry
Hydraulics
Industrial gears
Aerospace
Medical technology
Offshore applications
Textile machines
Bearing technology
Defence technology
Machine tools

Source: https://www.aerospace-technology.com/products/duralloy/

So basically, if DuraAlloy on NRG is what is DuraAlloy on the above mention web, then it is a good thing Tatas have invested some technology in their car however, for general public, this may look like sham. Which is actually not required. Had they given steel rims without carbonate wheel cap,

Last edited:
Yes and no.

So basically, they have added few things to steel to make the steel rim stronger, so its not steel completely. However with a common notion of how alloy wheels are, they are more like steel rim ... and bad part is they have put on fibre or plastic or carbonate material wheel caps which for a uneducated person may consider it to be a regular alloy wheel. if you remove the cap then you will see a kind of 4 spoke steel-alloy rim.

Note on Dura Alloy:
DURALLOY® provides effective protection from friction and vibration corrosion via a crack-free, precise, thin and ultrapure metallic chromium layer.

DURALLOY makes it possible to submerge a nodular structured surface in layers, and with a low process temperature of under 70°C, the structure of the base material stays the same during the plating process. This gives materials shape and hardness stability.

With its protection against wear and corrosion, DURALLOY increases the wear resistance of the material, making it suitable for use in applications such as gears or shaft-hub-joints.

By using a nodular structure, the layer of coating provides chemical resistance and material hardness. DURALLOY layers are most suited to the following areas:

High-temperature performance
Corrosion protection
Low friction
Lubrication
Protection against friction and vibration corrosion
Moving surfaces tribology
Wear protection
Materials that are coated with DURALLOY can be used in a range of areas, including:

Automotive sector
Decorative applications
Printing industry
Hydraulics
Industrial gears
Aerospace
Medical technology
Offshore applications
Textile machines
Bearing technology
Defence technology
Machine tools

Source: https://www.aerospace-technology.com/products/duralloy/

So basically, if DuraAlloy on NRG is what is DuraAlloy on the above mention web, then it is a good thing Tatas have invested some technology in their car however, for general public, this may look like sham. Which is actually not required. Had they given steel rims without carbonate wheel cap,
Thanks for the heads up@vikyjoshi, so in reality Duralloy is a material/technology used in making the NRG wheels, and not a marketing ploy by TaMo, as is being reported and argued on various forums.

The wheel caps do resemble a nice alloy design.

well here is detailed tweet from the horses mouth. hope this puts an end to the debate.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 1.18.38 PM.png

Well basically its all the cost play. Now this NRG edition is majorly a plastic bodyclad edition. This is just like any other sports edition sold by any other car OEM CelerioX, LivaSports, et al.

Now what is expected of Tata is that people want the best of the best at the lowest of the lowest prices from Tata under the pretext of Tata needing to gain foothold in the country. This is the case for all Tata cars right from beginning, They are expected to priced lower than segment and expected to provide value higher than segment. How long will this work, They are in business. They have to make profit.

Only issue I feel, is that they could have (just for they being Tata, and Tata are famous for being true and have ethical business practices) mention exactly whats been mentioned in the Tweet posted above would have prevented all this hue and cry, that is happening on the net since yesterday.

Well I guess its the Tata bashers category who had nothing to bash Tata all this while and this was some small issue they have found to do bashing. Its like making mountain of a mole hill.

Now on to a different note,
Any person who is buying a car without looking at it, I mean I have not seen the NRG in real steel, but if I m buying it, I will definitely be touching the tires and wheels and try to see the car in detail (which I did when I bought my Storme in 2013) I knew from exteriors what exactly I was buying.
When you buy tomatoes don't you look for the best of them, see them in detail from all angles. Pick every single tomato? That is for stuff that costs how much 15per kg, you spend 5 mins picking them, when you are going to plonk big 6 L on a car won't you look at the car in detail? this would have been identified on seeing the car in showroom itself.

Last edited:
https://www.rushlane.com/tata-tiago-nrg-duralloy-wheels-12280866.html

Is it true that those wheels are actually not alloy wheels, but steel wheels with very wheel caps ??
can owners please comment ?! Just intrigued
Yes, they are wheel caps , over steelish wheels (not calling them steel wheels, as they are a different alloy called Duralloy).
As mentioned in the earlier post, Duralloy is a strengthened material used in a lot of applications. The usage of Tata here, of Duralloy, has been targeted to mislead a customer that they are selling a alloy wheel, when its actually a wheel with a wheel cover. With the design they have done a good job, to make it look like an alloy wheel.
The advantage of alloy wheels is the lighter weight and strength(other than the cosmetics), but it's not clear how the Duralloy stands in these contexts though it does a pretty good job looking cosmetically similar.

well here is detailed tweet from the horses mouth. hope this puts an end to the debate.

View attachment 250553

I rather think, this will just further elongate the debate ? clearly its not an alloy wheel, then why did TATA market it in such a way to mis lead the people, I understand duralloy if the name of the material itself, but do you think a layman will understand that

He thinks duralloy = Alloy..

I think tata tried to mislead people here which is bad, considering all the good work their engineering team is achieving..

They could have instead marketed it as a steel wheel which looks completely like an alloy wheel.. that would have gained praise from customers, not after what they have done now

Last edited:
He thinks duralloy = Alloy..
basically Steel itself is an alloy, So technically we cannot fight Tata for calling it Alloy.

Now coming to DurAlloy, again the brand name DurAlloy please check the website https://www.aerospace-technology.com/products/duralloy/ , it is copyrighted by the aerospace technology. If Tata are using that brand they will say it, just like they say Harmon Entertainment systems.

The only part I feel Tata could have done was wording the text stating "STEEL" some where. Other than that, I don't find any thing odd. This is infact a very very well designed wheel cap. And if this wheel cap is a deal breaker stay away from NRG and go or Tiago which has alloys, or better go for the tin cans which give alloys but Safety is a question.

I don't think anyone will want to join the tata bashers club, having said that look at their brochure/ marketing campaign ??? Due to think a common man will think he is buying a car with steel wheels here ??
that is what I am trying to say, they could have worded it as
"Durable dual tone –4 spoke DurAlloy STEEL wheel that enhance the strong muscular design."

And things would have been different.

that is what I am trying to say, they could have worded it as
"Durable dual tone –4 spoke DurAlloy STEEL wheel that enhance the strong muscular design."

And things would have been different.
I would like to congratulate Tata engineers to design a good product which looks and feel like regular alloys

The cost mentioned for these wheels are just Rs. 4500/- for all wheels for one car. So I think anyone can make out that no one can get regular alloys in this price from an oem

Yes, they would have mentioned it that these are not regular alloys somewhere as brand Tata is a subjective of business house with great ethics in our country however they corrected the text and mentioned it on their website now. Good job Tata and stay true to your business ethics and what we respect this company for

Again great piece of engineering and design... keep bringing these innovations got high hopes from you guys

Last edited:
Guys can anyone comment on the drive ability of the NRG in the hills / Ghats after the ground clearance has gone up? Is there an evident body roll apart from the turbo lag that is present in the current Tiago Diesel?

Top Bottom