Tata Sumo Grande MK-II Ownership Review

Sad to hear that.. So are you claiming insurance ?

If there are no deep scratches I would suggest you to get paint-less dent removal.
If you ever visit Bangalore, visit Trend automobiles, Hosur main road.
Contact 9900561111 Dinesh.

Thread Starter #47
@Varun560061,

NOPE, not going to claim.

Have decided not to go painting this time. The area is small and the paint job done however good will be visible. For now, will try to remove the dent just enough to mount the rear door handles properly. But still have to paint the rear view mirror and the door handle.

Positives from this crash. My father is now a 'hell bent' fan of this car. He had two crashes in this car (none his fault). And in both instances the car has displayed a strong sense of robustness. And after both the highspeed crashes there is zero mechanical rattling. No squeaks, No clatters.

I have a guy who does excellent metal work. Thanx any way for the info.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #49
IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Parts arrived yesterday, painting and fitting done. Dent not removed this time, as we have to keep the car for a week or so (including paint). Dint have time for that.

Have place order for Pirelli 245/70 R16 Scorpion ATR 103T tyres. May arrive any time next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #50
Bought new shoes for my car today. Pirelli 245/70 R16 107T Scorpion ATR. 4 tyres for 42000 rupees. Steering has freed up a bit more at stand still. But has hardened up when in motion. And I love hard steering. Some pics to follow.

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Thread Starter #51
Car just came back from the 60000 kms service. The first paid service. Cost me 16500 rupees.

Complaints:
1. BCM. This thing is now about a year and half old now, the issue. No new BCM yet. And surprisingly, the BCM has started working correctly again.
2. Gear lever play. This issue is due to worn out collor bush. Changed now. And Gear change has become much firm. No play now.
3. Door seal beeding worn out. Replaced.
4. Weather beeding left front door. Replaced.

Other extra unwanted works done:
1. Engine de-carbonizing.
2. Coolant flush.
3. Front disc pad cleaning.
4. AC vents cleaning.

What how did that happen works done:
1. Handbrake cables replaced. As it was found broken.
2. Rear brake shoes replaced. Was completely worn out.

Following is a copy of the bill, have a look:
tsg1 001.jpg

tsg1 002.jpg

tsg1 003.jpg

Thread Starter #52
A week ago, when on my parents were on their way to Manglore, the engine malfunction light lit up. Father stopped the car and after 2 mins started it again but the light was still on. And when he returned the light had gone off.

I noticed that the car was struggling a bit during pick up. Like it was starving for air. This week on my way to the airport noticed that speedo was dancing. And also noticed the lack of pick up. Acceleration was not linear as it used to be and then the engine malfunction light lit up.

The next day took the car to the TASC. The vehicle speed sensor had gone kaput. Changed the sensor, they said half an hour and took 2 hrs though. Now every thing is fine again.

Thread Starter #54
Those tires look good ! Did you up size this time ?

Whats the mileage you could achieve from this monster ?
Those tyres are Pirelli Scorpions ATR 245/70 R16. Up from the stock size of 235/70 R16. The Pirellis are really good. Have to see how long it lasts.

Well Fuel mileage. City its only 10 kmpl. But highway its really efficient. My father with a contant speed of 80-90 kms/hr got a figure of 16 kmpl with AC.

BUT me with higher speeds (110-130 kms/hr) could only manage 12 kmpl with AC[;)].

Thread Starter #55
Installed a "Cosworth" cold air intake system. Yes I know the company has shut shop in India. But it doesnt matter to me as its just a filter.

Intial impression: Part throttle response is good. Therz a slight improvement in pick up, but thats negligible. Sound has gone up a bit, but this is a diesel so nothing much to talk about. But the sound of the induction is (like ssshhhhh) addictive. Have to check for change in efficiency.

Thread Starter #56
Updating after a long time. Meter reading is at 83000 kms.

One issue has cropped up. Water seepage into the cabin. Passenger side. Reason is the drainage holes have filled up with sand hence the stagnant water seeps down the wiring harness into the cabin.

Rest, All is well.

No hallowed TATA niggles for me.[;)]

Hey NAvneet nice to see you enjoying a hassle free run with a TATA vehicle.I think the experience varies with each service centers. Yesterday I had a word with one Manza owner he was not very happy with the car as such, and particularly pissed with "fortune motors, Navi mumbai". As per him "fortune" was the worst service centre. What is your take on this issue ? Is it true or exaggerated !!

Hi,
Mayank Pareek appointed as president for PVBU and he is going to take charge from today, I believe there will be different environment from here on in TATA motors.
We will expect some different strategy and competition in all segments.

Thread Starter #59
Hey NAvneet nice to see you enjoying a hassle free run with a TATA vehicle.I think the experience varies with each service centers. Yesterday I had a word with one Manza owner he was not very happy with the car as such, and particularly pissed with "fortune motors, Navi mumbai". As per him "fortune" was the worst service centre. What is your take on this issue ? Is it true or exaggerated !!
It depends. From service center to service center. From customer to customer.

Ive owned TATA for over a decade now. And I've never had an issue with the car OR the TASC. Never over the period of my ownership I've ever said 'Never again TATA'. Not even close.

BUT then my frequency of visit to the TASC is also less. Only major services I go there.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #60
UPDATE:

Nearing 100000 kms in my car now. Well, around 30 kms to go.

issues:
- AC cooling reduced: AC coolant top up done. This seems to have solved the issue. AC has gotten super chilly again.
- Clutch: Clutch pedal has become a "wee" bit harder. But then my car has run close to a lakh kms. Clutch should be nearing its end.
- Steering: Steering box has developed a leak. May be a seal issue. Have to get it checked.
-Wheel alignment: Cant get the caster adjusted. Hence the car pulls to the left. Not obvious, but the steering input is needed to keep the car in straight line.

Rest all fine. The engine is going strong even after a lakh on the clock and 4 years. Effortlessly reaches 120 kmph and keeps it all day if needed.

complaints: none.

Top Bottom