Tata Safari Varicor 400 Drive Review

Tornado, Let us compare Apples to Apples.
Creta is a mini (fake) SUV. It is just a big car with a higher GC.
An SUV by definition should sport a rear wheel drive at least and by this definition Creta / Ecosport / Duster (4x2) are out of this league.
Take a test drive in the Varicor 400. I bet it will leave you smiling for the rest of the day.
Talking about VFM - Define your requirements like budget limits / interior features / exterior looks / road presence / off-roading capability / no of passengers. Then narrow down to the models that fit into the scope of these requirements. That's the way to go.
The SUV needs to have more attributes such as excellent ground clearance, good approach and departure angles, deep wheel wells for sufficient articulation, and of course, basic 4 wheel drive capability with additional features.
The Duster satisfies some of the above criteria, but then not quite the others. The Creta/Ecosport are fake SUVs. Creta doesnt even have great ground clearance ~190mm.
The Ecosport is built tough, but thats about it.

Seriously, I would go for an S-Cross over a Creta, if nothing else than at least for the excellent 1.6 DDIS engine.

Last edited:
Yesterday had an long test drive of Storme 400 for about 40 kms.
We hit the highway, frankly speaking I couldn't notice any improvement over 320nm one.
I also felt the ABC pedals (and floor) were vibrating above 100 kmph, also the power delivery wasn't so linear as 320. The gear changes were good at 2.5 k rpm. But 320 felt good even at 2k rpm. These were the observations by me and my friend. Not sure if it is the issue with the TD car (it had 11xx k kms on odo). Does it require run in to settle down the vibrations ? I don't think so.
So the extra 2.6 lk extra justified over Ex ?

Last edited:
We hit the highway, frankly speaking I couldn't notice any improvement over 320nm one.
I also felt the ABC pedals (and floor) were vibrating above 100 kmph, also the power delivery wasn't so linear as 320. The gear changes were good at 2.5 k rpm. But 320 felt good even at 2k rpm. These were the observations by me and my friend. Not sure if it is the issue with the TD car (it had 11xx k kms on odo). Does it require run in to settle down the vibrations ? I don't think so.
11xx k. Seriously. It got introduced just a month ago. That means must be abused to the core.

I too test drove the beast however mine experience was quite opposite.

This contradictory to what others are saying. Yes I was also very happy with Varicor 320.

I have not yet taken test drive of Varicor-400.

Was it a 4x4 vehicle because a 2wd will feel more sprightly? Rather than outright feeling of power the 400nm has more torque across the revv range. You can drive at 20kmph in 3rd gear so that means lesser gearshifts compared to 320nm. Also on our highways we can drive in 5th all the way from 50kmph to 125kmph in the 400nm version.

Last edited:
Was it a 4x4 vehicle because a 2wd will feel more sprightly? Rather than outright feeling of power the 400nm has more torque across the revv range. You can drive at 20kmph in 3rd gear so that means lesser gearshifts compared to 320nm. Also on our highways we can drive in 5th all the way from 50kmph to 125kmph in the 400nm version.
I drove Varicor-320. It was butter smooth. But could not test it at high speed due to traffic.

Tbhp review also has mentioned certain vibrations in Varicor-400. May be Akash can throw some light on this as he has reviewed it.

I appeal members to come forward and pl. share your test drive report for Varicor-400.

Today checked out another car from a different dealer, this TD car had just 450 kms on odo. Had rattles all over. The car felt better than the other car, but still the refinement isn't as great as 320nm one. Took it for a 50 km drive. Since the 6 speed GB is newly developed its a gamble getting it. Gear changes were not so smooth and precise. The gear lever was slightly dancing when the car was moving in slow traffic .

The reviews of the newest Storme on TV have not been very positive. Perhaps it is better to be cautious?
TV reviews are wholly dependent on how much TML has doled out to the mags. I have seen one hilarious review on Zeeignition where some Kakaji includes a Scorpio (for cryin out loud) and Duster, Creta and SCross as "Compact SUVs" and keeps on harping about fuel efficiency figures as if that was all that mattered for an SUV.

even when i drove the 400nm version, i didnt find much improvement over the standard version, as I felt the 320nm was much peppier than 400nm. I know its contradictory on what others are saying about. The test drive vehicle was hardly 800kms driven on ODO. I faced difficulty in gear slotting from 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 respectively, always I ended up in double checking to ensure I slot it correctly.
One best thing I observed was the NVH and soft clutch was above expectations.
Is it really worth to spend 2.1 lks extra on VX 400nm or settle with just 320NM EX version? Need your opinions as I'm planning to book one at earliest.

Same as what I felt ! The 320 is more refined than the 400. I would suggest 320nm EX if airbags aren't in your priority list. Save the 2lk and use it as fuel expenses for next 2 years or more. [lol]

Airbags arent in my list. I'm only concerned with performance and feel good factor which was missing in 400nm, looks they missed the right tune of 400nm with extra PS, i dont feel any difference or peppy of extra Horse power. I believe I will end up with EX version, as its got the smooth buttery self adjusting clutch which is good enough and will suffice. As you right said will use extra bucks for Alloys, Touch Infotainment with ICE upgrade and DRL's .

Top Bottom