Tata Safari Storme Vs Rest of the Competition

Tata safari storme Vs rest of the competition

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does not need to part of rally Iron sir. But do you personally thing it can withstand the abuse which an actual SUV can take?

Frankly, do u think Storme can handle like nissan x trail? What ever chassis they have changed will still be nowhere close to height vs weight ratio.
Coming to your first question of whether it can take abuse, the answer is yes with some caveats. However the reality is we dont know the reliability/longevity of the Storme at the moment - no one does for that matter. Only time will tell, though on the outset everyone does agree the quality fit and finish seems much better. So there is much hope.

On your next question of whether it will handle like an X trail, i for one will not expect that anyways given what the X trail costs on road - it will be very very unfair to even begin this comparison.

I am not clear with your height to weight contention and chassis(if you can please explain where you are getting to)

Regarding Gurkha trust me its quite competent and some variants have even managed to sneak in military units abroad. Your definition of SUV does seem extreme though. [:)]

Well after looking at Storme quite well and having a look at the performance on paper.
My vote goes straight to Mahindra XUV.
  • I haven't voted for Fortuner because it will be an insult of the car being compared here.
  • Scorpio is not for me because it will be an overdone comparing it with XUV.
XUV is the champ for what it is, not for only what it offers. I used to believe that Tata can't produce as good gearbox as M&M can do and now it feels like I was right.

Well after looking at Storme quite well and having a look at the performance on paper.
  • I haven't voted for Fortuner because it will be an insult of the car being compared here.
XUV is the champ for what it is, not for only what it offers. I used to believe that Tata can't produce as good gearbox as M&M can do and now it feels like I was right.
Did you drive the storme ? And whatnisnthe problem with gear box ?

Vipul,

Have you driven Storm,XUV,Fortuner,Scorpio ??

Competition should be like this

Safari with Scorpio, Duster and Ertiga
Strome with XUV
Aria with Fortuner

I never driven any SUV but still i'll pick XUV from above list [;)]

I visited concorde dealer in Mumbai and was told that Mumbai will expect test Storme by Nov 1st week - hopefully.

They did not have any brochoure/collaterals etc., and sales guy did not look excited, he did mention that they have got lot of bookings already from existing Safari user who want to exchange.

From what i have read in this forum and Tata site - I feel XUV is more modern-age and value for money compared to storme.

Why did'nt you included the current DICOR in the list? If you think tha Scorpio is comparable to Storme so is the old Safari. I choose the old motor as I hate tobe a guinea pig.[pig]

Did you drive the storme ? And whatnisnthe problem with gear box ?
No I haven't yet driven the Storme.
Actually I felt like gearbox is still the weaker point of the car. Looking at the times it is still far behind the XUV 500.

Vipul,

Have you driven Storm,XUV,Fortuner,Scorpio ??
I have driven XUV, Fortuner and Scorpio.
Storme will also be driven within a week or two as soona s I get a day of free time.

No I haven't yet driven the Storme.
Actually I felt like gearbox is still the weaker point of the car. Looking at the times it is still far behind the XUV 500.

I have driven XUV, Fortuner and Scorpio.
Storme will also be driven within a week or two as soona s I get a day of free time.
actually it can be better or worse,but here you are just posting your feelings about gear box as fact ,atleast your post sounds like that [:)]

actually it can be better or worse,but here you are just posting your feelings about gear box as fact ,atleast your post sounds like that [:)]
My buddy some assumptions are made out of experience and proven facts. And mine is also the same.
Either the power delivery of the car is weak, or the gearbox is culprit.
You can't blame power to weight ratio always because an XUV with 6-7 people on board is heavier than an empty Safari but is still quicker. Weather it's in gear timings or 0-100 flat out.

I have not driven the Storme, but based on the intial reports, the feature lists and most importantly, the pricing... I am not very impressed with it. I feel its just the same 14 year old wine in a new bottle.

Tata could have done a lot more with it, considering they launched it to compete with the XUV.

So, my vote goes to the XUV.

I have not driven the Storme, but based on the intial reports, the feature lists and most importantly, the pricing... I am not very impressed with it. I feel its just the same 14 year old wine in a new bottle.

Tata could have done a lot more with it, considering they launched it to compete with the XUV.

So, my vote goes to the XUV.

It dosent compete with xuv only , it competes with Scorpio and duster too.
And pricing wise it is better then Scorpio sle model as it has far more features, and is leagues ahead in fit and finish and the premiuim is just 30,000 rs . Why you feel it's expensive ? If you find storme expensive then duster and Scorpio is also expensive ?
Specially the Scorpio sle and duster 110 ps rxl which is expensive then by 55 k then storme ex .

Which initial reports are you talking 8 out of 10 reports have only good things to say about storme .

It dosent compete with xuv only , it competes with Scorpio and duster too.
And pricing wise it is better then Scorpio sle model as it has far more features, and is leagues ahead in fit and finish and the premiuim is just 30,000 rs .

Why you feel it's expensive ? If you find storme expensive then duster and Scorpio is also expensive ?
Chill bro.

I am comparing only the top end variants.

Ex-showroom prices of top end variants of all cars from their respective websites are as follows -

Storme VX 4x2 - Rs. 12.40 Lacs
Scorpio VLX 4x2 - Rs. 10.80 Lacs
XUV5OO W8 - Rs. 13.20 Lacs

So the Storme top end cost about 1.6 Lacs more than the corresponding Scorpio top end, which I feel is not worth it.

The XUV W6 at 11.70 Lacs is cheaper and better than the Storme VX in my opinion. The Storme cannot command a premium of Rs. 70k over the XUV.

Specially the Scorpio sle and duster 110 ps rxl which is expensive then by 55 k then storme ex .
I dont know from where you are comparing the prices, but I always refer to prices from the official websites. It says -

Storme EX - Rs. 10.82 Lacs
Scorpio SLE - Rs. 9.55 Lacs

I wont pay Rs. 1.3 Lacs for a Storme over a Scorpio. It maybe a big improvement over the current Safari, but I feel the XUV W6 makes a more value for money proposition.

Hence, I do feel that the Storme is overpriced and I dont see it selling in good numbers in the months to come.

Which initial reports are you talking 8 out of 10 reports have only good things to say about storme .
I have only read ACI's reviews and some user reviews from other forums.

Last edited:
Chill bro.

I am comparing only the top end variants..
It's not chilli here as its in the uk bro [evil]

If you read my post iam comparing the Scorpio sle to storme lx read features of both and price ex showroom for storme lx is 9.95 , the only thing storme dosent have is a rear washer and wiper and arm rest .

I only said duster rxl (0) 110ps is 55k more expensive then storme ex .

So if storme is a old desgin then what is the Scorpio in its current avatar ?

I agree completely that features wise it's bare minimum then the xuv w6 and on that point it falls servely against the xuv no 2 questions about it .

and here are prices of duster ex-showroom

Renault Duster 85 PS RxL Diesel
1461cc Diesel, Manual, Full Specs | Features
Rs. 9,12,182
Check On-Road Price

Renault Duster 110 PS RxL Diesel
1461cc Diesel, Manual, Rs. 10,13,893

Renault Duster 85 PS RxL Diesel (Opt)
1461cc Diesel, Manual, kpl Rs. 10,13,89

amd only the option pack in duster comes with abs , airbags .

As per the auto car review this is what they wrote as their conclusion

The Safari Storme, then, comes across as a quantum leap ahead of the previous Safari. It’s well-equipped, refined, better built and comprehensively updated. And with prices starting from Rs 9.9 lakh for the base 4x2 model and going to Rs 13.7 lakh for the fully loaded 4x4 option, it’s great value for money. Also, as a long-distance cruiser, nothing can quite beat it for the money. The only grouse is that, even after 14 years, Tata hasn’t got around to changing the ageing body completely.

Last edited:
The only grouse is that, even after 14 years, Tata hasn’t got around to changing the ageing body completely.
What is this aging concept ?

I guess they are saying it just because they have to or trying to please certain mentality. they are writing 14 years as if 140 years old design..darn!

If looks have been retained does it means the car is old and rusted?

Kind of outside visibility Safari can offer IMO no other suv can come close to it,which points to fact that Safari is a legendary design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom