Tata Safari Storme Vs Rest of the Competition

Tata safari storme Vs rest of the competition

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
you are right storme lx must be compared to Scorpio sle model and it wins hands down against the Scorpio in practically everything. See it drive it you will yourself will know the difference
I gave out my opinions irrespective of the models, anyone who buys a car >11 Lakhs would prefer the top-end model, they only choose models based on the price only if it crosses a lakh mark (something similar to the BEP).
But as you say Storme lx looks in great shape and i feel it is somewhat better than the sle model.

i have been saying this all along that the storme appeals to people who like the safari in the first place. Though that number maybe huge,but for a normal person who is thinking for an SUV as a purchase
The engine of the storme is still the 2.2vtt with the same specs.just the name is changed and as far as i know even the earlier one was a VGT.
So in totality some thing for the safari lovers to rejoice but will set the charts on fire, only time will tell.
True buddy, but whatever you say, Storme has got muscles if you compare it to the current version of Scorpy.

How can Storme be compared with Scorpio LX. this is a comparing apples and Oranges.
Strome vs XUV should be the right compare or wait on till refresh Scorpio comes out.
I think no one compared Storme with Scorpio LX model, Storme should journey long way to catch up with XUV sales mark.

So if i am in the market for a SUV (With 4H & 4L) loads of space the options available in the market are XUV, Scorpio, Storme and Fortuner (XUV should be out but just leaving it there for now).

So XUV is all DISCO lights which is not upto my taste, so thats out.

Scorpio is too bouncy for me, and too small (in terms of interior space), hence that is also out.
Agreed, you have many options beyond these three:
1) Aria.
2) Rexton.
3) Yeti.
4) Endeavor.
5) Pajero.

All have their own charm and style, subjective to many people though.

So which is better, if i look at value for money Storme scores over Fortuner (All 4 Disc brakes, Shift on the fly rotating knob), reliability (now thats an unknown factor here)
We have to wait for the ownership reviews to flow in, only then the real colors would be known of the Storme.

Since now all the first drive reports about Storme's performance is out,let me compare Storme with rest of competition.

NOTE: My comparision is based upon first drive report of Storme like these:
Tata Safari Storme SUV Review – 2012 Road Test Drive | IndianCarsBikes.in

and others like Autocar and motorbeam review etc.This is not final verdict as no one from TAI moderators had driven it yet,and only they are good enough to call the final verdict about Storme.

Now lets begin our comparo:

RIDE QUALITY

It's subjective.

Value For Money

It's subjective,but those who want features XUV5OO is perfect vfm while those want a true blue 4x4 SUV Storme is absolutely perfect.
I am not surprised that Strome handles better than XUV. It is based on the Aria which i found had better dynamics than the XUV

Last edited by a moderator:
why you think storme is not a new generation vehicle? Drive it when you will come to India you will very well agree it is.
They have retained the same desgin from side profile just this.
Well, as I said, it does not have the finesse, features and charisma I expect in the new gen vehicle of that price range.

I am a gizmo freak and the Storme lacks a lot of features.

In my opinion, Storme would only please the Safari fan boys and add for some politician's wannabe vehicles. For the rest of the time, people down South prefers Scorpio.

Even if it releases in Bangalore the prices would wash away many buyers and XUV will be their last resort.
+10.

I am not surprised that Strome handles better than XUV. It is based on the Aria which i found had better dynamics than the XUV
I dont think that it is true. ACI reviews still mention that nothing drastic has happened in the handling department and the Storme still rolls around corners... Not that I am complaining as it is expected from a top heavy SUV like the Safari... nothing wrong in that. If it is true, I would really be surprised and would give a thumbs up to Tata for achieving that.

Honestly, I dont expect a top heavy LOF chassis to handle better than a lower and stiffly sprung monocoque chassis.

Last edited:
Well, as I said, it does not have the finesse, features and charisma I expect in the new gen vehicle of that price range.

+10.

I dont think that it is true. ACI reviews still mention that nothing drastic has happened in the handling department and the Storme still rolls around corners... Not that I am complaining as it is expected from a top heavy SUV like the Safari... nothing wrong in that. If it is true, I would really be surprised and would give a thumbs up to Tata for achieving that.

Honestly, I dont expect a top heavy LOF chassis to handle better than a lower and stiffly sprung monocoque chassis.
features I agree with you .
What you mean by finnese here?
Charisma is very subjective thing 1 friend of mine finds the quanto gorgeous and another one finds the q5 made only for ladies.

+10.

I think you are only relying on 1 review , it generally helps to read opinions from other reviews too .

Here is one

However, the Safari Storme is still a top heavy SUV that does exhibit body roll when pushed hard around corners although this is very well controlled and light years ahead of Mahindra vehicles like the Scorpio or the Xylo and even for that matter, the XUV500. Some amount of pitching is what you still get with the Safari Storme and this perhaps is due to the suspension set up to deliver an excellent ride. In a nutshell, the Safari is a good handler and a superb rider in the Indian luxury SUV world this side of 20 big ones. Also, the new steering system with a wider rack reduces turning radius significantly, to 5.4 meters and this is a big relief for tight U-turns, something that was extremely cumbersome in the older model.

Full review here

Tata Safari Storme SUV Review – 2012 Road Test Drive | IndianCarsBikes.in

I have driven the storme for 45 mins on all sorts of roads with huge, medium , small pot holes and broken roads pics are posted in storme thread , the Scorpio and xuv can't even come close to the ride quality and the way storme handles bad roads .
This are not my assumptions , anybody can go drive the xuv , Scorpio and storme back to back and report their observations .

Ok bro, since I have not driven the Storme nor have I seen it, end of discussion from my side!

By finesse and charisma, I mean that it comes with the same old look we have been seeing for the past 14 years. Some Safari fans may love that fact that the look has not been tampered with, but I would have liked a more modern and fresh look.

Sorry for going OT - Talking about the Quanto, I wanted to ask you - how does it look? I always thought that it's a ugly duckling but recently a friend called me (who dislikes M&M) and he says that Quanto actually looks good. My brother saw one and even he liked it too...

Last edited:
Okay guys, I'll be having about 4-5 days of free time after 4th of november. Hence I'll be having a good long TD of Storme by that time itself. On the very same time I'll be comparing it with XUV too.
Rest no one must ask me to compare it with Fortuner etc..I just can't do it.

Till then, it's only XUV for me and as much I have read, heard and talked to people about Storme, I don't think that there is anything special, only the clothes have been changed with some minor tweaks inside. Rest one thing for sure..I AM SURE THAT STRAIGHT LINE STABILITY AND HIGH SPEED RIDE OF STORME IS STILL GOING TO BE THE BEST.

Hey friends !! Look at my sincere confession here !![clap]

1. I have never owned any SUV so far !! Just plan to own one if things go well

2. I was never a fan boy of Safari and I am really open to look at any SUV

3. When you agree the both the above statements, then whatever I post about Storm is not a hype[;)]

OK now why Storm, just wait for some time and take your time to understand it thoroughly, drive it and feel it, then you will find an answer that who will by the Storm and not all of them are not present Safari owners and fanboys of Safari & TATA !! If things go well, then I will be one out of them !!

Still a lot more to come from Storm driving experiences and ownership experiences so at times our assessment would be little bit premature. In my personal opinion only sales figure will never decide a car is good are bad, but yes again if it is seen from a commercial angle. May be it is OT, but there is a difference between a commercially hit masala film at box office and an art & classic hit movie !! where the second one will last long

Aha,it feels good to be back baby.[:)]

Now back to point.Yes Ferrarifan I never expected a pure BOF SUV to handle better than a unibody Soft-roader,it literally came as a shock when I first read it here:Tata Safari Storme SUV Review – 2012 Road Test Drive | IndianCarsBikes.in.It was only then I realized that how well TATA engineers have tuned the chassis and suspension of Storme.

Also at 9.95 lakhs for the base LX it's a steal AFAIK.ABS,Rear discs,solid ride/handling,Land Rover like looks.I mean what more are we looking for in an SUV.It does tick the right boxes.Lets see how it does on box office.[:)]

Ok bro, since I have not driven the Storme nor have I seen it, end of discussion from my side!

By finesse and charisma, I mean that it comes with the same old look we have been seeing for the past 14 years. Some Safari fans may love that fact that the look has not been tampered with, but I would have liked a more modern and fresh look.

Sorry for going OT - Talking about the Quanto, I wanted to ask you - how does it look? I always thought that it's a ugly duckling but recently a friend called me (who dislikes M&M) and he says that Quanto actually looks good. My brother saw one and even he liked it too...
to be honest with you I liked it really just if they had reduced the height it would have been great. But in real it is not ugly atall.

My buddy some assumptions are made out of experience and proven facts. And mine is also the same.
Either the power delivery of the car is weak, or the gearbox is culprit.
You can't blame power to weight ratio always because an XUV with 6-7 people on board is heavier than an empty Safari but is still quicker. Weather it's in gear timings or 0-100 flat out.
6-7 people in XUV makes it heavier than Storme [lol] and goes like rocket [frustration]
XUV 0-100 in 17 sec (spec)
Storme 0-100 16sec (spec)
let these things apart , by going fast what you gonna achieve man ???? Storme is perfectly balanced vehicle, its weight to power ration is very good for an SUV,

let me tell you a story, one day XUV met STORME and said I CAN GO FASTER, STORME laughed at XUV loudly and said I CAN GO ANYWHERE ....
[:D]
It is not my Assumption but it is my experience, The STORMES total built is perfectly engineered, Storme weighs 450 kgs more than XUV but still equally quicker to XUV, that mean stormes gear box is very good.

I do not understand why Scorpio shouldn't be compared with Storme?

Both falls under same segment, even if it doesn't people in our country would compare these two (many compare Innova with these two and everybody knows that fact why people do that)

In my opinion, Storme would only please the Safari fan boys and add for some politician's wannabe vehicles. For the rest of the time, people down South prefers Scorpio.

Even if it releases in Bangalore the prices would wash away many buyers and XUV will be their last resort.
Dont say that people from south wont buy Safari, Im from south/bangalore i have different opinion,
in south specially in south cannara region i have seen many Scorpio taxis and in kerala too, so that helped scorpios population,
really man scorpio is hell for long journeys, dont bash me [cry], its my true experience not once many times.[embarass]

How can Storme be compared with Scorpio LX. this is a comparing apples and Oranges.
Strome vs XUV should be the right compare or wait on till refresh Scorpio comes out.
Yes today 1kg of Apple is around 160 /- and orange is also 140 to 160 /-.... i guess this is the logic they are following [lol],

Dont say that people from south wont buy Safari, Im from south/bangalore i have different opinion,
That different opinion people only buys safari and not the masses.

in south specially in south cannara region i have seen many Scorpio taxis and in kerala too, so that helped scorpios population,
Do those Scorpios as you say taxis run like Indicas? Sorry can't agree with you here, okay even if i agree with your point, Scorpio is anyday better than the Safari because it cheaper and better. [;)]

really man scorpio is hell for long journeys, dont bash me, its my true experience not once many times.
I don't know what to say here, because i have only sat in the driver seat of the scorpio when i take to the long drives, but yes the rear seats are cramped for that big SUV.

Last edited:
That different opinion people only buys safari and not the masses.

Do those Scorpios as you say taxis run like Indicas? Sorry can't agree with you here, okay even if i agree with your point, Scorpio is anyday better than the Safari because it cheaper and better.

I don't know what to say here, because i have only sat in the driver seat of the scorpio when i take to the long drives, but yes the rear seats are cramped for that big SUV.
yes People buy scorpio because it is cheapest SUV(soft) in the world, i agreed....
Let me tell you what is masses...
Most of the people(masses) who bought scorpio are don't know what is SUV,MUV,sedan etc they don't even know the spec of the vehicle [evil], i think i got the point behind the success of scorpio.
It is true man, many of my relatives bought scorpio since they made money in real estate, even though i had suggest them safari but they were not ready to pay 50 to 80k more for safari(since they are not born rich), and also if one relative buys scorpio then other relatives also buy same vehicle since they need to show others that their status is also equal.
so people(not you) who doesn't know the difference between these vehicles they are more tends to pick the price difference as deal beaker [clap]

One last request. buddy Don't bash me for this post, all the above content is true and experienced in person.[glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom