Tata Safari & Storme: Technical Issues & Solutions

Even after several decades of experimenting on guinea pigs called customers, Tata has not been able to produce a trouble free vehicle yet.

The safari has only progressively become worse, when compared to the advancement seen in similarly priced SUVs.

Tata Safari Dicor 2.2

Guys, my Tata Safari giving out black smoke also no power on acceleration. Service station is 50km ways can't drive that far in this condition. Kindly need some input from you guys. Might call a local mechanic and try to fix the problem. Help

Need quick help

Following are symptoms/observations for my friends Safari

1. Engine very smooth at idling (900rpm) and during pickup.

2. Vibration/resonance in the narrow band 1100 to 1200 band at all gears. After 1200, again engine becomes smooth.

3. These vibrations are not due to lugging of engine.

4. Engine mount and propeller shaft already changed to new but problem remains same.

5. It is funny that when tank is full intensity of the vibration reduces to nil. As tank becomes empty intensity of the vibration increases.
Your kind help in this problem is appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Need quick help

-Is it a 4x4 ? If yes, check universal couplings of drive shaft for any type of play. And please ensure the drive shaft is properly weight balanced as per OEM.
-Inspect balancer timing and crank pulley for alignment issues.
-imbalanced clutch disk might cause same issue.
- tank mounts ?

Last edited:

Check with Fuel Pump ,as well as injectors and related linings.
Does the ride show a lag in shifting gears(that is say you are shifting from 2nd to 3rd ,in rpm 1800-2200,but the performance is not as used to be ,or say you normally shift in 1800-2000 ,but you now need more rpm for perfect shifting),if such is the case ,it is the problem with fuel injectors.

Check with Fuel Pump ,as well as injectors and related linings.
Does the ride show a lag in shifting gears(that is say you are shifting from 2nd to 3rd ,in rpm 1800-2200,but the performance is not as used to be ,or say you normally shift in 1800-2000 ,but you now need more rpm for perfect shifting),if such is the case ,it is the problem with fuel injectors.
No such things were observed. Except the vibration in small band of 1100 to 1200, everything is normal.

Hi Guys, I need an urgent help. I own a Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT GX which has covered about 86k kms. Last weekend while coming back from Kerala to Bangalore on the way I felt as if the turbo stopped working. There was no pickup and the engine was not reviewing more than 1500 RPM. Slowly I noticed the service light and heat niddle running towards red zone. Stopped the vehicle there and gave a call to my trusted ASS. As per his advice waited for sometime for the engine to cool down then drove slowly back home. Now when I checked in ASS the next day, we found coolant level is fine. There is no issue with the water pump and all the fans r working fine. Can anybody help me in diagnosing this issue cos they are unable to find the exact reason.

Engine vibration at 1000 to 1100 rpm

Hi guys,

Regarding engine vibration at porticular RPM issue of brand new safari storme, could it be because of flywheel not balanced properly?

I am having a Tata Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor A/c Cooling is Good , in slow RPM and fast ..
Yesterday i open the bonnet and clean engine with water all over and after two days run the vehicle its running fine but at the evening when start the A/c (fup fup fup) sound will come around and switch off the A/c its shut off.
Kindly anyone having advice...>
Thanks.

Looking for Tata Safari Spares supplier

hi guys good eve,
I am from Chennai and my name is Humayun Shareef.
I had a scorpio 2007 sold it 2 months back and bought a safari 2006 model.

I had been to local mechanics for few works and these people charging excess for the spares.

Then I went to a dealor of Tata parts in Mount Road Chennai and he has fixed price for all parts and no discount.

I NEED following parts for my car to restore suspension and body works.
Front suspension bush kit – 1 no
Tie rod end set – 1 no
Steering dampner or steering shock absorber – 1 no
Front shocks – 1 set
Rear Shocks – 1 set
Power steering seal set – 1 no
Front bearing set – 1 no
Rear suspension bush kit – 1 no
Upper arm ball joint set – 1 no
Lower arm ball joint set – 1 no
Steering rod cross set – 1 no
White dhoti 4 pkts – 1 no.
Front roof lights – 1no
Centre roof light – 1 no
Driver passenger door rubber set
Driver side window rubber set
Driver door Ac blower vent
Foot rest rubber set.
If any one can suggestion me spare parts dealor who gives oem and good price, it will be appreciated.
Also I have some tinkering works in the car as I see the door beading rusted completely and air noise is there inside the car at high speeds. hence it needs tinkering works on both sides of rubber beading near passenger and drives board.
If anyone of you can recommend some good garage who can do both mechanical and tinkering painting, it will be appreciated.
Hi did you find the mechanic for your needs?

Need quick help

Following are symptoms/observations for my friends Safari

1. Engine very smooth at idling (900rpm) and during pickup.

2. Vibration/resonance in the narrow band 1100 to 1200 band at all gears. After 1200, again engine becomes smooth.

3. These vibrations are not due to lugging of engine.

4. Engine mount and propeller shaft already changed to new but problem remains same.

5. It is funny that when tank is full intensity of the vibration reduces to nil. As tank becomes empty intensity of the vibration increases.
Your kind help in this problem is appreciated.
I'm having the same issue with my Safari dicor, Any solution except drive with a full fuel tank :D

bhvm

Honoured Member
Safari has a very grunty engine with a Gruff tone. It might be just natural.
Else I can suggest-
1. Grease the Prop Shaft. Balance it if needed.
2. Add fuel system cleaner additive. Safari tends to like it. Add Nulon Oil treatment to engine oil before a big trip.
3. Tank mounts might be rusty or cracked. Inspect if fuel tank is loose.

Top Bottom