Tata Safari Storme EX: Ownership Review

deville_56

Honoured Member
I can totally understand and sympathise with your pain. Please do not lose sleep over it. It can be patched up. Other nearby parts of the chassis are clean with no rust,so maybe moist air pocket / wet area was left over while underbody coating was done.That air pocket caused repeated or continuous collection of water,resulting in rusting.
But any good metallurgy worker can repair it in a very good way,with no issues in future. Afterwards the welded area can be painted and all. Since rest of the chassis is alright,you need not worry about future cracks building up on stress areas (provided you do not overload the car or use it very-very roughly).
+100. Repair and move on. Seen much worse cases. We can't ditch our car because of the arrogance/helplessness of the dealer.

Thread Starter #62
I can totally understand and sympathise with your pain. Please do not lose sleep over it. It can be patched up. Other nearby parts of the chassis are clean with no rust,so maybe moist air pocket / wet area was left over while underbody coating was done.That air pocket caused repeated or continuous collection of water,resulting in rusting.
But any good metallurgy worker can repair it in a very good way,with no issues in future. Afterwards the welded area can be painted and all. Since rest of the chassis is alright,you need not worry about future cracks building up on stress areas (provided you do not overload the car or use it very-very roughly).
Yes the moment i saw rust i was blank for a day and next day decided to repair myself. I know tata and its service and enough things is said about it.
The area is welded with 4mm thick Ms plate with arc welding. another area behind this was found but was in more better shape. However reinforced that area too.

+100. Repair and move on. Seen much worse cases. We can't ditch our car because of the arrogance/helplessness of the dealer.
Hi deville _ long time !
yes i have decided to repair and infact now the repair job is over. We have seen more worse cases and this is an issue which should not occur in a vehicle less than 4 years that too still in extended warranty.

After the metal is welded , it is primered and also other area were slight surface rust was seen.
Then 3M underbody coat was purchased and sprayed 3 cans of it.

Now the outer part is cleaned and treated. Interior of the chassis box is yet to be attended. Have ordered some rust converters. Will do that too immediately .

Attachments

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
That's a quite heavy reinforcement for that small hole! Overkill maybe? Actually putting welding arc on the original chassis by untrained hands,is a no no I think,unless large chunks are rusted. Yours is 99% rust free.
You could have just filled the hole and moved on. Even " just let it be with primer coating on the edges,and I will watch out for future rust signs if they appear" would have been enough.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #64
That's a quite heavy reinforcement for that small hole! Overkill maybe? Actually putting welding arc on the original chassis by untrained hands,is a no no I think,unless large chunks are rusted. Yours is 99% rust free.
You could have just filled the hole and moved on. Even " just let it be with primer coating on the edges,and I will watch out for future rust signs if they appear" would have been enough.
Ah, I felt welding was not even , based on the welding works that I used to see at the factory i work.
However the mechanic says the picture was taken before slight sanding.
Time must say the outcome further. Will keep inspecting regularly.

Update the car is 59510 Kms as on today. 22 days more to complete 4 years with me.

Thread Starter #65
Update 63350kms.
Just office commute and nothing else other than 2 small trips of 400 kms each.
Had a chance to check only the traffic ( office commute ) efficiency. it was 10.6 kmpl combination of traffic plus bad road with worst pothole history due to rain. The local roads of pondicherry are deadly now. may be in a couple of months new roads are expected. Its more disaster for bikes.

service some 500kms back.
Replaced oil and oil filter. GB oil and brake oil full flush.
replaced 2 out of 3 engine mounts and feel more peaceful. one more yet to be changed. old one dont have cracks or damage but it seems common issue with storme.

Another common issue of rear tailgate not opening during afternoon times cropped up. That too in front of many family members. Loads of Briyani in boot. 1.00Pm it worked at hotel. 1.20pm it is jamed at home. 5.30 pm working as usual. Its a common issue with all storme.

Aftermarket reverse sensor conked off. Got new one but only the display and the main unit was used. old sensor was working fine. !

A small incident where a biker hit from rear . reason was he was too fast and his splendor could not brake in time plus add the bad roads of pondicherry. left side took a small hit
Pulled back the LH bumper and its normal with small hole in bottom. Not visible

Changed the pending 1 nos of engine mount.
The difference is day and night!

The vehicle is more smooth and the slightest vibration that was present is vanished.
How much did the changing of engine mount cost you?
I have Vibrations felt on the gear knob and steering at times, It was suggested that i change all the engine mounts.

Thread Starter #68
ODO stands at 67500 kms today!.

Well the ac leaked about 2 months back. this time leak was very mild.
Regular AC guy said he is busy and asked to come about a weak later. Call that an attitude or honest or whatever , but I am impatient guy if anything related to vehicles.
Went to the garage where chassis was inspected. They checked all possible means and no where leak could be found but the pressure drops only if left overnight and not in 4 to 5 hours. this went on for 4 days and finally decided to buy the front evaporator coil. Though it was checked nov 2020 and was found fine with small spots , we though it could be the source of leak. Got unbranded ones since they are only available. opened dashboard( not again) and replaced and overnight pressure. same exactly 6 to 7 psi less

Then removed whole ac system along with roof ac. connected it outside and checked with soap water and no leak. later the garage arranged 6 people to carry the whole setup and checked by immersing it in water at nearby puncture shop. Roof ac coil was leak very slowly. Like one bubble per 2 second kind of.

That part was also ordered and replaced. Also changed fuel prefilter as it was time for replacement. Total bill was 17000/-
B pillar trims were not fixed properly and few clips broken. Redo at home . All it need was patience!

Went a short trip to Hills and overnight parking. The next day after 5 kms drive i found the temp needle went fast to half mark!
stopped and found coolant being overflow from reservoir outlet . returned back to hotel and found coolant boiling in reservoir.

Filled water and started descend. In all these scenario the temp didnt go past 50 percent also the fan didnt kick in. After about some kms found Tafe TASS. they checked and said all fine. They even went test drive with me for 20 kms with 4th gear without ac and showed that fan is working fine. Puzzled and no issues too with temp needle returned as normal as anyday to home 300kms.

Ordered toyota genuine coolant and replaced it . Earlier after OEM coolant , I went with Wurth concentrate and distill water combo.
Either really fault some where OR the thermostat stuck in overnight parking . Not sure about the cause but for now vehicle is running with temp all in range.

bhvm

Honoured Member
This Story is very similar to what happened with my Elephant.
Lockdown caused AC gas to leak. The doubt seems on Roof AC unit.

Thread Starter #70
Except the initial lockdown for about 18 days in march 2020, we have been working in office with required permissions.
The vehicle runs 30 kms only for the office runs daily.

When the rear roof ac cooling coil was removed it was clean as new but had a hole which took about 1 day to find out :O .

Few questions here with regards to the AC @bhvm @ilango[speed thirst]

1. Can we self refill the AC gas in Storme?
2. If yes, then can you guide me as to how to do it? what things are required?

Well in my case, AC is working fine but its not bone chilling as i used to feel it long time back. Hence thinking if gas filling is required or not.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Well in my case, AC is working fine but its not bone chilling as i used to feel it long time back. Hence thinking if gas filling is required or not.
1. There are valves in the engine bay near Air filter. These have caps marked H & L.
2. I suggest you get a professional to do it. It needs a pressure gauge and correct grade of Gas (R 134A) for my beast. One also need to know how much to fill.
3. Get a small gas top up done. It costs hardly 600 to 800 Bucks. I got it done for for my XUV and cooling is back to original levels.
Using AC with less gas will wear out the compressor quickly.

Thread Starter #73

AC system is complete sealed unit and gas cannot leak. This is the theory and I believe it strongly.
Some AC mechanic just say gas vapourised and hence low cooling which as per me , cannot happen!

Well few cases are there where just a top up solved. The real reason though was not found AC would have worked couple of more years.

1. If your cooling is not chilling check the AC grill temp . Within about 2 minute the grill temp must be below 6 degree.
If not cause can be faulty thermostat which can cut off ac compressor fast.
Evaporator (cooling coil ) can be dirty and hence less heat transfer. check the lowpressure hose for ice formation ( if ICE is formed then there is problem)

2. Your AC condensor in front may be chocked. Regular cleaning of condenser with pressure wash is required.
3. You condensor fan may be faulty of working in slow speed. Check fan
4. Lastly fill the gas.

The correct method to fill gas if there is no leak is via AC gas recharge machine. This machine will remove old gas, vaccum for 20 or 30 min as required.Then fill compressor oil and new gas.
Gas must be filled about 1000gms that is 1KG of gas is needed for storme. ( roof ac system)> the machine will do this all automatically . Just connect to the vehicle ac system.

Another local ac mechanic method is to do this all manually where there is high possible of normal air enter the system which has a amount of moisture and can affect in long run not immediately.

Thread Starter #74
How much did the changing of engine mount cost you?
I have Vibrations felt on the gear knob and steering at times, It was suggested that i change all the engine mounts.
Sorry to miss this query.
front mounts 1200 , 2 nos needed.
gear box mount 950 . 1 Nos needed.
Labor is area specific . I paid 1100

UPDATE 68580Kms ( 4 years 7 months)
Changed oil back to shell rimula CI4 15W40 and also changed oil filter.
Also changed the differential oil shell 85W140.
Also changed the aux belts 2 nos. ( ac , alternator and power steering belts)

Rear door used to get jammed as when and few other storme owners also reports the same. ( tailgate)
This time it decided to get struck forever! Some how opened and removed door pad, Cleaned the lock assy fully with wD40. worked for 10 checks!. Next day same issue.
Ordered from boodmo and received in 15 days and replaced it too.

Thread Starter #75
ODO 74700kms
Having plans to sell the storme On and off. I put up an AD and removed in couple of days.
However in recent heavy rains an flooding in city helped to boos the enquiries. That was funny though , 3 offers were decent north of 7.4Lak however for now have hold the sale plan
Reason : not able to afford any new car Haha.

last week when the city witness sudden flooding due to heavy downpour , washed the underbody at home myself. found a rust in chassis again.
Chassis rust 2.jpg

Once the rains do get reduced will get them treated

Top Bottom