Tata Safari Storme EX: Ownership Review

ilango[speed thirst];538029 said:
Hello all.

Let me begin the ownership of my Tata Safari Storme - Ex.

Our connection with TATA is more than two decades. [:D]
Well this safari storme was never ever planned for purchase , though safari remained one of my fav vehicle. This was one the reason for my sierra ownership! i like big vehicles [evil]

Some of them may know that i had a Manza err two manza. One is mine and another is my uncles. For the manza ownership refer the link

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../20770-my-tata-manza-vx-ownership-review.html

Moving on , i wanted to proceed with a practical car. Hatches were never considered. This time i checked the ertiga and the breeza from maruti. Being used to the comfort of TATA , the ertiga failed in that dept. The ride quality was not good. except that everthing else was practical in that vehicle though with the same small engine 1.3 Qjt.

Next the breeza was too highly priced for the car. the cabin was tiny feel.

The other cars that were considered were duster and lodgy from Renault.
Actually it was the Lodgy that i considered seriously. slightly cheaper than ertiga but had loads of best things , right from sheet metal to seat / plastic quality etc. The ride quality was simply the best. Since i was at the showroom to check lodgy the duster came in which was approx 60K extra after all the discount. Its ride quality was simply superb. the only negative of these two cars were the bit hard clutch. Its not that hard , but hard compared to other new cars.

Back to Tata showroom , showroom full of dull appearance / sleepy sales team illogical hospitality and well funny service i am tata vehicle owner for many many and many years for the only reason - TATA makes best cars at better price value. The service is worst but atleast spares are available and i can manage it on my own. that was the way Manza kept me happy!.

Delivery of the storme happened on 24th Nov 2016. The odo stands 9340 today and due for second service in couple of days.
CONGRATULATIONS ON OWNING THE BEAST....I am also planning to buy one in future years to come

I need one thing to understand....is there anything with the vehicle that cannot be fixed outside the service center ? all the reviews I have read so far none of it says anything bad about the engine

hey, i do want to share something new for the engine oil.
recently i have changed engine oil of my tata grande dicor and use new lubricant i,e balmerol lubricant . i've used balmerol ultima plus, and i can say that it's one of the best lubricant that i've came across, the engine run so smooth, and fuel efficiency have gone up too and drain intervals too gone up.currently i'm using API CI4 GRADE which is much much better compared to the similar grade lubricant by private sector companies.

the lubricant is one of the many companies of the governemnt of india.it's much better compared to any private sector offering. just try one next time as i've benefiited from it and in future will use only balmerol lubricant.
the lubricant division is a part of balmer and lawrie, and their products are really outstanding too whether it is greases or engine oils for petrol and diesel.

Thread Starter #19
I need one thing to understand....is there anything with the vehicle that cannot be fixed outside the service center ? all the reviews I have read so far none of it says anything bad about the engine
Its all about spare part and its sub assembly part availability. In TATA you can be sure to get the OEM spares at best rate.
However the ECM scanner and fixing them is not so common. Though can be done outside of the service center , it needs the local mechanics exposure on this and need for this is rare[clap]

hey, i do want to share something new for the engine oil.
recently i have changed engine oil of my tata grande dicor and use new lubricant i,e balmerol lubricant . i've used balmerol ultima plus, and i can say that it's one of the best lubricant that i've came across, the engine run so smooth, and fuel efficiency have gone up too and drain intervals too gone up.currently i'm using API CI4 GRADE which is much much better compared to the similar grade lubricant by private sector companies.

the lubricant is one of the many companies of the governemnt of india.it's much better compared to any private sector offering. just try one next time as i've benefiited from it and in future will use only balmerol lubricant.
the lubricant division is a part of balmer and lawrie, and their products are really outstanding too whether it is greases or engine oils for petrol and diesel.
Where do you get these oil. I am not a fan of long drain interval. Old school type , i get nervous once it crosses 6000 kms. even in previous cars though it had 3.3Lit sump and hence the synthetic were affordable [evil] i used to drain them 8k interval max though the service manual say 15k kms.

Funny note is , storme recommended is 15W40 , normal mineral oil and drain interval of 20000kms ( 10000 Kms if driven mostly in city ). This point is mentioned in owners manual which i find evil.

ilango[speed thirst];539223 said:
Its all about spare part and its sub assembly part availability. In TATA you can be sure to get the OEM spares at best rate.
However the ECM scanner and fixing them is not so common. Though can be done outside of the service center , it needs the local mechanics exposure on this and need for this is rare[clap]

Where do you get these oil. I am not a fan of long drain interval. Old school type , i get nervous once it crosses 6000 kms. even in previous cars though it had 3.3Lit sump and hence the synthetic were affordable [evil] i used to drain them 8k interval max though the service manual say 15k kms.

Funny note is , storme recommended is 15W40 , normal mineral oil and drain interval of 20000kms ( 10000 Kms if driven mostly in city ). This point is mentioned in owners manual which i find evil.
every company usually appoint distributor in cities, not in much rural areas, luckily i have one in the city. now comes about manual earlier i used to drain oil at 8k, but now after using balmerol it easily stretches to 11-11.5k which i prefer to drain, however it's top notch sludge removal and perfect balance of working of vital engine components is not at all affected and more kilometer can be added.

tata says to go for ch4 or higher grade ci4, but i always go for ci4 . earlier grande use to give me in highways 12-13 kmpl, but after using balmerol i used to obtain close to 15-16kmpl and sometimes it crosses it too of 16 mark.

Thread Starter #21
Back from a 850Kms trip in a single day. comfort level is great.
Just as i was 40Kms near to home , the Fuel lamp started to blink. Approx we can drive 850Kms in one tank

Through out the journey , i had a very mild , almost negligible amount of vibration in steering. Check the tyres in same condition in wheel balancing and found two wheels asking 15 grams of weight. Removed the old weight and did rebalancing and it asked same old weights at slightly different position.

Went on a small TestDrive in near by highway and found it OK.
Odo is near 10450Kms after the small trip!

oops, How I missed this thread. Congrats ilango for your beast, it stunning in the dark shade. Share the diy process of the dash cam wiring. I need to do the same on my Aspire :)

Thread Starter #24
Oops, How I missed this thread. Congrats for you beast illango. Please do share the hard wiring process of the dashcam. I need to do the same on my Aspire too,
Thank you.
I didnt take pic of DIY.

1. Buy a 12 V cigar ligher socket.
2.Tap fuse. I used a fuse tap and tapped it from brake lamp fuse. My brake lamp fuse will glow only if key is ON. Hence i used that fuse
3.Connect the dash cam wire in that 12V socket , tape them and keep it secured at back of dashboard. - very simple.
4. Route the wires by removing A pillar plastic panel.

Thread Starter #25
June 2017 - a complete month the running was completely inside the city ( 520Kms). Max it was used in so called highway for about 35 Kms in total of 520 kms and it used approx a tank ( until the first low fuel lamp)

Approx it translates the FE of 10~11KMPL inside city of Pondicherry.

A small hiccup - the front windshield washer didnt spray water , though the rear sprayed the water perfectly. Checked and found the motor was not working. Checked all fuses and every thing was fine!!

Before closing the bonnet , just filled the winshield washer tank with water ( there was already about 20%) and decided to check next day. Before switching off a last try and it was spraying water as normally.

Wondering if topping up the water was any reason[surprise]

Thread Starter #27

bhvm

Honoured Member
Maybe the the Motor is placed slightly higher than the lowest level in Tank. So it works efficiently only on full tank.

Thread Starter #29
Ahh , finally the front windshield motor didnt spray water again and this time sufficient water was well available.

Opened up and found that motor is not working. Electrician friend got me new motor from the spare shop. The same model in found in many vehicles so was readily available off the shelf.
cost was 300/-
Same was listed 475/- in a website

Now you may wonder why i didnt change at TATA Motors!

First you need to make him understand the problem . then he will put up a job car and say mechanics are busy - Pls wait.
after 4 hours they will test all monkey things and in that process my windshield will be scratched. They never bother to lift the wiper and test.
And finally after all the monkey works billpayment will take 2 hours
In between he may even say.. Saaar its wear and tear item saar. Not possible in warranty .. ( its their trick to bill anything) only if we are firm they will process warranty. Heck the whole car is wear and tear. ROFL.

300 INR . peace of mind. I prefer the peace of mindl

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
XUV motor was Rs.600 but the story was same as your. Have to persuade them to cover in warranty. It took 2 hours. LOL!

Top Bottom