Tata Safari LX TCIC 2,30,000 kms Review!

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I own a Tata Safari LX TCIC 2004 which has clocked 2,30,000 Kms on the odo with Stock engine.

I am glad to write about my pleased experience with this SUV. My affair started in 2004 middies, When one of my cousin brother brought a brand new Tata Safari (White). At that time, I was not the one who can afford that SUV. But, as someone said fortune favours the brave, I was lucky enough that my cousin brother got a joining from USA company. and suddenly he realised that he needs to sell this car. As soon as I came to know that, I contacted him and gave a cheque of 50K as a token amount to book the vehicle.:D And ohh!! god was it a huge mistake, yes it was after that I had to be present at hearings from my relatives and friends that I have purchased an Elephant or a Lemon, and instead I must have gone for SCORPIO, but I never cared what people said. I settled the rest of the money in installments; the real story starts now:

When I bought her, she was just 2000 kms old, and the money I had to spent was some 6+lacs. I was running low on cash at that time. And this Safari made sure that she was drinking fuel like a crazily hungry Cow (just 9-10kmpl). And even though I wanted to take it for long drives I was unable to because of the low pocket. So, it took more thas 2 years to make the Bull\Cow :D cross 40000 kms+.

Till 2006: 40,000kms completed and it needed only regular servicing as it hardly crossed the city limits.

During and post 2006: I remembered that during that span of time my bull was taken through every hard and soft exercise of mountain runs, pathetic roads, excessive runs.. Had to do more frequent business trips at those times and decided to take my vehicle for that instead of Train, bus, other means of transports. Had to travel to most of India regularly. There were some days for which I never shutted off the bull (except for eating which hardly takes any time), and constantly for 2 days and I liked travelling through night. And the beast was happy to travell with me too, at speeds of excessive 100-110kmph on that time roads. These all kept on happening and my bull was able to take every type of abuse that was thrown on the road without giving hefty bills.

So, far my journey is going good and my brother has just purchased a Toyota Fortuner.

Regular Maintenance carried out on the car are as follows:

Engine oil, oil and diesel filter change @ every 7500 kms, Diff. oil change @ every 40,000kms, Gear oil change @ every 40,000kms.

Clutch Plate change @73,000kms (has run 1.5L kms till now); Timing belt 90,000kms and 2,00,000 kms; Suspension overhauled 1,10,000 kms; Rear shockups 1,10,000 kms; Clutch Slave cylinder changed quite sometime back.

Two front tyre changed 1,20,000 kms; All power window switches 1,34,000 kms; Tappet cover gasket changed 1,40,000 kms; Rear tyre changed (did'nt remembered the kms); Rear brake pads changed (did'nt remembered the kms), Radiator cleaning (approx. 2,25,000 kms). That's all no further issues at all apart from the above mentioned it only needed\needs regular servicing.

Some problems encountered: Diesel leakage from pump. Differential cross making noise. Brake booster gone Kaput, I got it repaired for 1200INR. Rear left coil spring broke, replaced both of them.

Some of the pictures close to my heart:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Note: I am a no Photo enthusiast, so please bear with picture quality.

Thanks.:)

Last edited:
Hi mercedised,
Welcome to TAI. I hope you will enjoy your stay here.
Nice review with your Safari. I guess you had some issues in posting the pictures. Please check out and post the pictures again.

Last edited:
230k km[surprise]
Congrats man. I must say the beast crossed all these loooong miles with your regular maintenance.

BTW is that last picture taken when the vehicle was fully loaded?

Thread Starter #4
Hi mercedised,
Welcome to TAI. I hope you will enjoy your stay here.
Nice review with your Safari. I guess you had some issues in posting the pictures. Please check out and post the pictures again.
Yes, I had problems posting pictures that's why the images appear tobe resized. Thanks for the link.[thumbsdown]

230k km[surprise]
Congrats man. I must say the beast crossed all these loooong miles with your regular maintenance.

BTW is that last picture taken when the vehicle was fully loaded?
Thanks Mr.Boss.

The last picture was taken when the rear left spring broke and the whole rear got dumped. This happened on a trip and the car covered 5,000 kms with broken rear left spring and 7 passengers loaded.[lol]

230k kms without engine overhaul that to a tata product. you are one lucky guy.my experience with tata car(indica v2) was a sour one. all my service were done at tata ass centres.most of the bills were above 5000 inr.

Thread Starter #6
230k kms without engine overhaul that to a tata product. you are one lucky guy.my experience with tata car(indica v2) was a sour one. all my service were done at tata ass centres.most of the bills were above 5000 inr.
You might not call it lucky because all I did was regular maintenance. Your's might be a one-off case as I own 2 Indicas too, one being 1.3L kms without any overhaul and the other being 1L kms without any overhaul.[:)]

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India. After Mahindra Scorpio @ 1.8 Lac Kms, this is the second ownership report of an Indian SUV in our forum which has easily done over 1.5 Lac Kilometres. Tata Safari is a capable rugged vehicle, just that the poor workmanship at Tata Motors turns out to be the spoilsport. Almost all the replacements which you have mentioned are certain for a vehicle of this much age and run. This translates that the bull has served you perfectly well over the years and we wish the same continues in future as well. Add more pictures, and do keep us updated. All the best.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8
@350Z: Thanks for your words, feeling great tobe a part of this forum. Will post more pictures soon.:)

@all: I am now going to sell my beast so anyone who is interested could PM me. Please don't post any query regarding this in this thread as it does'nt serves to the purpose of this thread.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
@all: I am now going to sell my beast so anyone who is interested could PM me. Please don't post any query regarding this in this thread as it does'nt serves to the purpose of this thread.
I would highly recommend you to put up an ad for free on The Automotive India Marketplace. It will definitely grab the attention of interested people and what else will be better if the car finds her home from one petrol head to another? Are you seeking to buy another car to replace the Safari?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11
I would highly recommend you to put up an ad for free on The Automotive India Marketplace. It will definitely grab the attention of interested people and what else will be better if the car finds her home from one petrol head to another? Are you seeking to buy another car to replace the Safari?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Ohh! Thanks for that link, I did'nt knew the classified section also exists here. That's great, I have listed the car there.

Yes, I am goin to buy another Tata Safari DICOR that's the reason for selling this one. It's hard to let it go especially when something is attached with your emotions. And I will be the happiest person if the car goes in the hands of another Petrol head. :)

I've seen in a classified, Reason for sale - Purchasing new safari.

Welcome to TAI
I saw your review. Nicely said even my friend who own Tata safari 3.0l had completed 2.40L km last time I checked
So guys didn't I told you Tata safari engine is good if you maintained it

Top Bottom