Tata Nexon XM Petrol: Initial Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,here is my initial ownership review of TATA NEXON . this will be quite long , hope you guys like it .
PART 1 :
I am splitting the review in 2 parts because of less than 15000 characters

Usually when it comes to buying a new car , we have always been in trouble for selecting the best one . We have lots of options , lots of opinions lots of car reviews , lots of comparision videos and lots of articles in automotive india and team bhp .

Same like all of you I too had some serious troubles in selecting the right one . Before that let me tell you my previous cars , We had ford ikon flair 2007 and i drive lots of my friends cars like Swift, figo , Verna , mobilio but I had always loved Ikon because the control it gave me while driving was superb but the parts were tricky to get in market .

Hence as like most of my fellow indians I decided to go to Maruthi suzuki (Wait is this review of a Tata product ,yes it is ) because of following reasons

1. Awesome resale value - the best in india, a 2005 swift went for almost 4 lakhs which was un imaginable

2. Parts easy to get and since they use the same engine in all their products and we can get any pat in Pudupettai(A mechanical town in chennai)

Now me and my elder brother already planned to go for baleno which we liked a lot but also we wanted to buy something new in the road that has been just launched ,
so we went for Dzire as we always loved sedan . My Brother works in ship so he comes home after 6 months i booked the car in May 2017 so that we can get the car delivered in october 2017 , 5 months was more than enough for us .

But then me and my brother used to talk in whats app about which car to buy and we both were impressed by TATA NEXON but then we waited for the car to be launched and mean while i sold all my old cars in spetember 1st week as there was parking space issues and my brother came in september 20 itself and we paid all the amount on Sep 21 including 3.5 lakhs loan(Dzire VXI manual )
So the car was ready to be delivered on sep 30 during Pooja and then it was sept 23 i was watchig the live lanch of Nexon in You Tube , Oops Blown away by the price

I wasnt even able to control the excitement at the same time i had no idea how i am going to convince my family to cancel a Maruthi Suzuki product and buy a TATA product .

I took me more than 2 days to convince them mean while i booked the Tata nexon on launch day itself as a precautionary and then i convinced them and cancelled the car but it was a hectic process . All i had to do to convince them was to take them to Tata concorde Ambattur which was just 2 kms from my home (In Ambattur Nexa, Mercedes, Volkswagen , Tata , Hyundai , Maruthi , SKoda and Honda all are adjacent to each other , Lukcy to live near them )

We had to undergo lots of formalities to get the money that we had paid , really tedious process. Since we had sold our previous car we had to live with just 2 bikes in a big family (Dad, Mom ,three brothers , Elder brother got married and has a daughter ) You can imagine how hard it is but all i had in my mind was this
"I am not buying a tin can for 7.5 lakhs and its my dream to own an SUV "

Now before we indian had lots of trobles to selecting the right car in our budget, But not me if any one has less than 8 lakhs for a petrol car and less than 9 lakhs for a diesel car , then with eyes Blind folded then can go for this "THE TATA NEXON XM "

I am buying a car for my own satisfaction not in the mindset of selling it to someone later , I am very sentimental towards cars , I name them calebrate their birthday so why go for a car just because it has good resale value , Go for the one you love , Man do i love the nexon or what ? I wanna marry her .

Delivery of my Nexon XM :

So after finishing all the formalities , the dealer was pushing us to pay soon as we were the first one to get the XM petrol delivered but then the Bank loan process to move from suzuki to Tata was tedious and hectic one . Finally we cancelled the loan process and paid by net cash .

I was waiting for the car to be delivered on but the issue was to get the rights of XM Petrol version to be sold in Tamil Nadu, This is complete crap made by Indian govt, why not have one single thing for the entire nation than for each and every state to get rights to be sold that to for each and every variant of Petrol and Diesel , I cant understand the reason behind this and this ade my delivery to delay and then finally the dealer gave a date it was November 17 and nov 18 was a good day to buy car so we scheduled the delivery on November 18 saturday , I was hardly having sleep the previous night . Before my delivery let me tell you why specifically the Nexon XM

1. The looks : I read in Team bhp review that you will love the look or hate but i cant find a single reason for the latter . I was completely blown away by the look of the car in Auto car show as well as the media drive reviews . I always prefer unique and bold designs and this car will clearly stand out and speak to others that i am different .

2. SUV for a compact sedan and Premium hatch back price : Before if anyone could tell you that I can get a good looking SUV for 7.5 lakhs i would laugh at them but Tata made me to laugh at myself , This is such a beautiful looking SUV that my friends were astonished when i revealed the price , One of my foolish friend even asked whether this is a pre owned . No one can initally belive this price . Even i opened my jaws when Tata showcaed their price at the launch

3. Turbo Jet Petrol Engine : In India almost all diesel cars above 5 lakhs are turbocharged but for petrol its not that case . All auto manufactures are reluctant to manufacture a Turbo charged Petrol car and Petrol enthusiasts like me always find it harsh on us now our very own Indian manufacuturer has launched a Turbo charged Charged car that too in a Compact SUV and that too for an affordable price.

4. Indian Company : Its not just spreading make in India but its also about Buying Indian products , lets say if chevy or Ford had launched the same car in USA then almost 70% of popualtion would have bought this car , They value their very own home made companies and may be that is why their economy is the best . Its high time that Indians should realise this

5.Ceramic White strips : I am not sure whether this has been implemented before but Hats off Tata to pull this out ,the stand out feature of the looks of this car is those White ceramic strips that runs through the car , This is the most unique and attractive feature of the exterior design

WHY MOROCCAN BLUE ? :

Well first impression is always the best impression and the Blue colour which was launched in Auto expo has struck with me . I basically feel that White ceramic strips just gets more highlighted in this colour . Also the blue paint that TATA have used is the one who see in AUDI Q series , Its unique and stand out in the crowd, I feel Grey comes second and Red the third . Colours are always a personal choice in a car .

NOVEMBER 18, THE DELIVERY OF MY DREAM CAR :

So it was early morning i woke up pretty early and We planned to go for the delivery with my entire family as this is the first new car in our family (Totally 7 members including my Brother's 2 year old daughter ). I did a Vehicle inspection before registration itself. Me and my younger brother went in bike and rest of the family came to show room through ola .

Initial list of accessories that we added in Show room :

1. Chrome door handles : I feel this is a must for people who buy XM variant as the black handles look so cheap , But adding the chrome makes the car to look even better

2. Mud Flaps and Floor mats : I would always prefer to buy this from show room itself as floor mats have caused accidents when installed outside.

The number that we got was 9369 and 9 was always our fav number even adding all those digits will give 9 , Indeed she is our lucky charm

The delivery ceremony was good and all the employees came while we take delivery clapped their hands , Also concorde gave us 5 litres free petrol coupon .

NOW ITS TIME FOR THE REVIEW OF THE CAR :

OUTSIDE VIEWS :

THE MACHO FRONT :

I just love the way the car look in front side , Some people are not liking the front grille but its a signature of Tata , I feel all auto manufactures should have a signature grill like BMW, Mercedes because that is how you get a name for yourself not like Suzuki who gives different grills even for variants like Baleno . The chrome under the grille called as 'Humanity line' adds much more to the car. You will miss the DRL in XM variant but the car looks good even without DRL's because of the beautiful design of the car .

Dummy Fog lamps inserts are given but i was hesitant to install in after market as my dealer told me of warrranty issues and he also asked to install in show room official accessories itself but they dont have it . The issue with Tata nexon accessories is that almost 60% of accessories wont be present in the show room .

I have installed bumpers in the front , but was not able to place in the rear because the sensors have been kept very low and installing rear bumpers will definitely affect the sensors, I was reluctant to install bumper in the car as I am not a huge fan of Bumpers but my dad and brother wanted it to install even if it spoils the look as they are very aware of the bikers in chennai .Though the front is completely changed after installing bumpers but still i feel that Bumper has made my car to look more SUV , do tell your comments aboug the bumpers guys . It took me 9K just for bumpers.

The ivory ceramic insert near the fog lamps are just a cherry on the top for the front profile . This is designing at the best

Whats is missing in front side compared to XZ+?

1. Fog lamps : They always enhance the visiblity and make the car to look even more good , planning to put Angel eyes fog lamps that will act as DRL

2. Black coloured ORVM : There was no accessory to change the colour of ORVM also there was no chrome accessory , This gels well with blue and i feel Grey will be perfect colour still the indicators are given in ORVM and they have LED looks which is quite awesome given that this is second variant compared to base .

SIDE PROFILE VIEW :

This is for me the best view of Nexon ever , just look at this view now .

I have stickered the roof in white colour so that it looked like Dual tone also the white roof will enhance the ivory ceramic strip even much more . Lots of my friends and relatives thought this is a dual tone car . Do tell your comments on Dual tone stickering friends .

I personally feel Blue colour looks best in side profile , The dye used is totally different and just gels great with the side ceramic strips.

Please note the different colour of ceramic strips, The rear one is little yellow compared to the front one . I asked this to tata and they were even unaware , A design flaw or something should check in first service . Just zoom the image more and you can get what i am trying to say .

I have added sun film in the windows because of the well know hot and humid chennai climate. Also installed mud flaps just zoom in more but personal opinion the mud flaps are very small .

I recommend to go for the Chrome door handles , They just completely elevate the side view. The dealer told me that he was not able to put the official accessory as it fits for XZ+ but he went for the Zest chrome handles and fits perfectly with this . Those who try in after market just try for the Zest chrome door handles and it way fit perfectly in Nexon .

The side protector are installed and designed well , Most cars look will spoil by these but Tata has ensured its not the case for Nexon .

And last but not least , guys look at the wheel caps provided . The after market accessory guy first thought it to be alloys. I am just giving a salute to the designing team behind these wheel covers, This is how a wheel cap design should be done and no one can deny that this ought to be the best looking wheel caps in any car of lower variant.

Hats off TATA !!

REAR VIEW :

The designing team has designed a lot in rear part. The x that is made of same ceramic strips totally changes the way a car should look and should be designed , Love it or hate it but you cant take away from design team that they have gone out of the box. The line from the side profile just exactly extends it to the rear which is top notch detailing .

But the tail lamps is where Tata screwed , Common Tata look at Hyundai they give the same great looking LED tail lamps for all their variants . This is a blunder from tata i mean the tail lamp is small compared to top end and we cant just add it in after market too, The strip in the boot is just dummy . I felt those lights are quite stunning and missing it a lot in XM variant . Still the Tail lamp is good when compared to Vitara Breeza and Ecosport , I have no idea why even the facelift version of ecosport is still having those stupid conventional Tail lamps.

Lights are also provided for the number plate which lights well in night . There is a reverse light provided above the dummy LED strip which is pretty good .

The Tail lights provided is the spoiler is well designed , Full large circles glows very well when braked , A huge relief for XM Variant .

No Rear Defogger is provided for XM Variant which is not good considering almost all cars above 7 lakhs have them , They come handy in rainy and snowy season but Chennai has very less months of them so no big miss . Its ok TATA if lower variants dont have rear wipers but please try to give same set of Tail lamps for all variants .

INSIDE :

Since Nexon has very less height among all other Compact SUVs getting inside the car is pretty hazze. You need to bend down a little especially me being a 6.1 even more so but i take it because if they had given more height the look would have been completely spoiled .

The instrument cluster looks beautiful in night and there is no difference between this and top variant. You dont have height adjustment seats but most of my family are tall like me so no issues here too .

I read in some reviews that the dead pedal is not accessible but it was not the case for me as i had some enough space if adjusted properly to access the dead pedal.
What looks bad is the tiny display given in the car also you have to live with it as its a floating type one and we cant get anything installed in the after market as of now atleast.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: Tata nexon xm petrol initial ownership review

PART 2:

There are lots of modes in the instrument cluster . To make the trip to 0 you should long press the set button . The top of the instrument cluster shows the different drive modes that you have selected . Some time its difficult to see the entire cluster as stearing blocks your view sometimes. Remember this is the only place where you can see the mode that we have selected unlike in XZ+ you will be having voice commands as well the touch screen showing it .

The rear passengers have ample amount of leg room and head room. There is also a vanity mirror on sun visors in the passenger side even in XM variant , I am specifically mentioning this as some manufacturers are not providing this in the lower variants as your wife or girl friend always needs this lol

The hand brake is placed very near to the front passenger side but mostly this is not a flaw at all. What you soley miss here is the Arm rest, My brother who is slightly short than me found it quite awkard to hold the gear at half of your hand. This is why i had installed an Arm rest in after market. Guys how does it look .

I made it in seat cover shop , the base is of wood and the outer is of resin , This just made the car to look like a top variant . Would definitely recommend this as it cost me just 600 bucks , totally worthy of it .

The rear passengers have no adjustable head rests and even the XT variant dont have it . A big miss from TATA atleast they should have given it for the XT variant . Also no parcel tray in the XM variant but i got it done in after market for just 800 rupess , If any one in Chennai searching for good accessories go for Fancy shop in GP road . Parcel tray is always of great use to keep tissues and other stuffs .

No rear ac is provided also the space is empty , I have inserted a doll in it just for the empty space .

SOUND SYSTEM :

XM variant comes with 4 speakers and they do the job given but just not for enthusiasts like us . I strongly recommend to go for JBL TWEETERS , it costs 3000 a pair . I initially though to install only one pair and if you are like go for the rear side and not the front one . This is because Your ears are very near to the rear tweets and also the rear passengers can enjoy the sound . Install the tweeters and the sound quality just totally changes . The space provided in the door itself and the JBL tweeters fits perfectly to it.

This is a great attention to detail from Tata given that its a lower variant and most car manufactures dont give space in the door. The installation also takes less time and this is Bang for buck .

The Harman system works like a charm once these tweeters are added and the treble words like you are in a Home theatre , Sound quality is really good given only you have installed the tweeters. Just make sure that you dont do my mistake of just putting a pair , Spend 6K for two tweeters and your car will sound like XZ+ version.

SEAT COMFORT :

The cushioning is spot on here , The under thigh support is really good and the rear passengers had lots of leg room when front adjusted to my height (6.1), Even so the rear passengers felt very comfortable even older people like my parents, And my mom felt these are the nest seats of the cars we had.

The big miss is the rear head adjustable seats but still the fixed one does its job pretty well .

The head room is a breeze , you dont even feel that the car has a sloping roof line when you are inside the car

We family of 5 was able to sit comfortably in the car , rear can occupy 3 people with ease

DRIVING THE 1.2 L TURBO CHARGED PETROL :

This is one of the few cars that have turbo charged petrol in India at affordable price. This was a big reason that i went for Nexon as like all i love Turbo charged petrol cars and this engine is not new , this also comes in Tiago and tigor without turbo charger and it is a great engine . This is a 6 speed transmission which is great. I dont know why most indian cars have 5 speed transmission almost every modern car should have 6 speed IMO .

Start the engine and there is a slight clatter sound because of its 3 cylinder , But later the cabin noise is well insulated as you dont hear most sounds . To start the car you have to press the clutch fully . The key hole has a beautiful white light around it .

There is a definite turbo lag in the car as with all turbo charged cars under 2000 rpm, Still this is adequate in city driving , Go past the 2000 rpm mark and you will feel the turbo kicking in , That moment is always a beauty to drive and the engine noise is well insulated still you may hear a bit but i always drive with music so no problem for me . The drive modes is one of the big USP of the car and its makes the driving more pleasure . The knob for driving mode is inspired from Tata sibling Jaguar and it just feels like a premium one . The drive modes also glows once you switch on the lights . The clutch is very soft but the reach is quite long . I didnt had any issue with the gear box and every gear works perfectly .

Well done Tata for providing the collar for reverse gear. I had some doubts that 6 th and reverse gear might get confused in a 6 speed Transmission but thats not the case here , the collar provided in the gear knob , We have to push it up and the car easily goes in the 6 th gear . Even a 15 lakhs Scorpio have big trouble to go to the reverse gear but not here . Now let me tell about each modes .

CITY MODE :

This is the default mode of the car and this mode is perfect for the city driving conditions , The gear ratio is very small which makes it a bliss to drive in city . Even you can drive the car in 3 rd gear in city moderate traffic and you wont have the trouble too much to down shift. You will feel the turbo lag in this mode a bit while you drive in traffic . The bumper to bumper traffic driving is good in this mode too . The power is adequate in City mode . I feel this mode is just straight line like a linear one no more no less . Once you go beyond 2000 rpm mark you will love the way she drives which will put a smile on your face . Since this is a default mode you can use this in either City or highway . I just got 9 to 10 kmpl in this mode may be after first service it will change will update here then and there .

ECO MODE :

As the name suggests this mode is strictly for economy but also you should know that you can never ever use it in City . If you are using this mode in city you will hate this mode as the power is very less for initial gears too . This mode is strictly to cruise in long highways where you will love this mode and inturn the car will give you a good efficiency , The car returned me 15 kmpl in the highway at a steady 80 to 100 k/hr.

SPORTS MODE :

The mode that i love and the mode every one will love . Change to city mode and press the accelerator and you will feel the difference , This is a treat to every enthusiast like me and the car's full power of 110 PS is visible here . There is even very less turbo lag in this mode and the car just cruises. Most of us will love the engine sound at above 3500 rpm just a pleasant sound to our ears . Of course this affects the mileage of the car in a big way but if you have bugs to fill this even may be your default driving mode .

RIDE AND HANDLING :

The steering is smooth and light . You will have a good command while driving as i felt the turning in this car is great . It was like the car steered in the way i wanted it to also the steering weighs adequately as the speed progress .

The suspension is definitely on the harder side which is how it should be for a SUV and the car can take any pot holes you throw at her . Chennai is well know for stupid big speed breaks which comes without even a warning and the 209mm ground clearance will help you a lot here . I just stopped worrying about speed breakers because of it .

The braking is great in this car as ABS and EBD are standard. I tried stopping the car from 80 to 0 , i was not able to calculate the time but the ABS and EBD helped me a lot to have great control in the car despite heavy braking , that's how an ABS works and it does the job perfectly in nexon . Since the suspension in on hard side you will find the ride uncomfortable at times but that's how it should be for a SUV as you can go in any bad roads with this suspension .

OTHER THINGS INSIDE THE CAR :

The glove box is not a cooled one but if you want it go for the XT variant , the space provided inside the glove box is adequate . There are two umbrella holders in the front side which fits small sized umbrellas .

The glass holder can fit aviator Ray ban glass with the cover but not the waffler one . The cabin light just lights the front side and no lights are provide for the rear passengers which you will miss definitely .

I have no idea what to do with the hole provided for push button start , advices are welcome.

For the XZ+ variant a sliding place near the arm rest is given to place your smart phone which you will miss as there are no space for me after i placed the arm rest though the arm rest is not a fixed one still i need to find a solution .

NEGATIVES OF NEXON :

1. Clutch throw is very long which makes quick shifting quite slow

2. Gear box reach is also not perfect . Its good but not the best

3. Less height of the car makes it look not like a perfect SUV , had they increased the height to 50mm Nexon would have been a perfect looking SUV

4. Absence of parcel tray in XM

5. The ABC pedals have good distance between them but it affects the accessing of dead pedal

I conclude the review by saying just that this is the best car under 8 lakhs , ofcourse some niggles but its not just a VFM(Value For Money) but we have been given by Tata more than that we actually paid for .

More than happy I am extremely proud that Tata , an indian company just rocked in the automobile market and this is just a beginning from them .

Happy motoring and Be Indian Buy INDIAN .

* The car soley owned by my elder brother who bought it for our family . Thank you Anna for selecting the car that i chose in spite you paid for it .
* The people in Tata have improved a lot and it shows by ranking 3rd in the month of November
* Sorry Guys for placing pics at the last I tried to post pics in between the review but was not able to do it
* Will update then and there in this thread after every services and I am planning for a long trip this week end

Thank you Guys for reading the review patiently . Hope i was ok , just forgive if i wasn't as this is my very first review and sorry for the delay . If you have any queries ask in the thread will be happy to help you .

Congrats @Sudharson for the detailed review, you took all the effort to explain everything in great detail, the color is eye candy,

Happy motoring.

Cheers

Regards
Vinod

congrats on your new car, Nexon is a really good compact SUV but why have you installed bull bars. IMO these bars are making the look of Nexon really bad.

kkn13

Suspended

well detailed review !!
No offense but the bullbar at the front is a bad idea
Not only is it a hindrance to pedestrians but also to the car occupants

Congrats for your new car. The dual tone does look great, and will stand out in comparison to the XZ+s dual tone option which is dark silver. This one matches with the ceramic strip.

well detailed review !!
No offense but the bullbar at the front is a bad idea
Not only is it a hindrance to pedestrians but also to the car occupants
I agree with kkn13. Not getting into the cosmetic aspect of the bull bar, it also hinders in the working of the airbag, as the airbag sensors are placed behind the front bumpers. This kind of setup where the bull bar is directly connected to the chassis, would lead to the impact getting directly transferred to the chassis without letting the bumper absorb the impact. It may be helpful in small hits, where the bumper would be saved from a paint job, but this would have quite a bad effect over the safety features, and the designed crumple zones.

Congrates on new car Sudharson. Had few queries to ask.
1- Do you fell jerk when lift the leg from accelerator and also at reengage the accelerator? I found this in test drive vehicle in bangalore and even autocar review also mentioned this.
"Lifting off the throttle at lower speeds also causes a noticeable jerk. So keeping things smooth in the Nexon is quite a task, and this is a problem regardless of the drive mode you choose; Eco, however, seems to suffer the most."
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-co...osport-vs-tata-nexon-petrol-comparison-406751
2- Can we install touchscreen as an accessory?
3- Can we install projectorlamps, DRL and rear defogger?
4- How about installing sunroof?

I have to say, except the bullbar everything looks great.

congratulation on new nexon. I'm also thinking about getting one. confused with ecosport and nexon. Need to make up my mind soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended

Congrates on new car Sudharson. Had few queries to ask.
1- Do you fell jerk when lift the leg from accelerator and also at reengage the accelerator? I found this in test drive vehicle in bangalore and even autocar review also mentioned this.
"Lifting off the throttle at lower speeds also causes a noticeable jerk. So keeping things smooth in the Nexon is quite a task, and this is a problem regardless of the drive mode you choose; Eco, however, seems to suffer the most."
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-co...osport-vs-tata-nexon-petrol-comparison-406751
2- Can we install touchscreen as an accessory?
3- Can we install projectorlamps, DRL and rear defogger?
4- How about installing sunroof?
1. I also found clutch in both petrol and diesel to be a bit too springy
I thought Hyundai and Honda clutches were like this, but I got used to them and I still couldnt get the hang of Nexon clutches
Eco is a terrible driving mode regardless of car/brand, it makes the car more limp, risky during overtakes and other scenarios. Best to drive in Normal or Sport

2. Perfect fit for cars like Ecosport, Nexon and Ignis -
https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-entertainment-car-stereos-touchscreen-dvd-players/avh-z7050bt/

3. Some users reported dealers charging 18k or something for this

4. Big no-no, can ruin alot of things

PART 2:

There are lots of modes in the instrument cluster . To make the trip to 0 you should long press the set button . The top of the instrument cluster shows the different drive modes that you have selected . Some time its difficult to see the entire cluster as stearing blocks your view sometimes. Remember this is the only place where you can see the mode that we have selected unlike in XZ+ you will be having voice commands as well the touch screen showing it .

The rear passengers have ample amount of leg room and head room. There is also a vanity mirror on sun visors in the passenger side even in XM variant , I am specifically mentioning this as some manufacturers are not providing this in the lower variants as your wife or girl friend always needs this lol

The hand brake is placed very near to the front passenger side but mostly this is not a flaw at all. What you soley miss here is the Arm rest, My brother who is slightly short than me found it quite awkard to hold the gear at half of your hand. This is why i had installed an Arm rest in after market. Guys how does it look .

I made it in seat cover shop , the base is of wood and the outer is of resin , This just made the car to look like a top variant . Would definitely recommend this as it cost me just 600 bucks , totally worthy of it .

The rear passengers have no adjustable head rests and even the XT variant dont have it . A big miss from TATA atleast they should have given it for the XT variant . Also no parcel tray in the XM variant but i got it done in after market for just 800 rupess , If any one in Chennai searching for good accessories go for Fancy shop in GP road . Parcel tray is always of great use to keep tissues and other stuffs .

No rear ac is provided also the space is empty , I have inserted a doll in it just for the empty space .

SOUND SYSTEM :

XM variant comes with 4 speakers and they do the job given but just not for enthusiasts like us . I strongly recommend to go for JBL TWEETERS , it costs 3000 a pair . I initially though to install only one pair and if you are like go for the rear side and not the front one . This is because Your ears are very near to the rear tweets and also the rear passengers can enjoy the sound . Install the tweeters and the sound quality just totally changes . The space provided in the door itself and the JBL tweeters fits perfectly to it.

This is a great attention to detail from Tata given that its a lower variant and most car manufactures dont give space in the door. The installation also takes less time and this is Bang for buck .

The Harman system works like a charm once these tweeters are added and the treble words like you are in a Home theatre , Sound quality is really good given only you have installed the tweeters. Just make sure that you dont do my mistake of just putting a pair , Spend 6K for two tweeters and your car will sound like XZ+ version.

SEAT COMFORT :

The cushioning is spot on here , The under thigh support is really good and the rear passengers had lots of leg room when front adjusted to my height (6.1), Even so the rear passengers felt very comfortable even older people like my parents, And my mom felt these are the nest seats of the cars we had.

The big miss is the rear head adjustable seats but still the fixed one does its job pretty well .

The head room is a breeze , you dont even feel that the car has a sloping roof line when you are inside the car

We family of 5 was able to sit comfortably in the car , rear can occupy 3 people with ease

DRIVING THE 1.2 L TURBO CHARGED PETROL :

This is one of the few cars that have turbo charged petrol in India at affordable price. This was a big reason that i went for Nexon as like all i love Turbo charged petrol cars and this engine is not new , this also comes in Tiago and tigor without turbo charger and it is a great engine . This is a 6 speed transmission which is great. I dont know why most indian cars have 5 speed transmission almost every modern car should have 6 speed IMO .

Start the engine and there is a slight clatter sound because of its 3 cylinder , But later the cabin noise is well insulated as you dont hear most sounds . To start the car you have to press the clutch fully . The key hole has a beautiful white light around it .

There is a definite turbo lag in the car as with all turbo charged cars under 2000 rpm, Still this is adequate in city driving , Go past the 2000 rpm mark and you will feel the turbo kicking in , That moment is always a beauty to drive and the engine noise is well insulated still you may hear a bit but i always drive with music so no problem for me . The drive modes is one of the big USP of the car and its makes the driving more pleasure . The knob for driving mode is inspired from Tata sibling Jaguar and it just feels like a premium one . The drive modes also glows once you switch on the lights . The clutch is very soft but the reach is quite long . I didnt had any issue with the gear box and every gear works perfectly .

Well done Tata for providing the collar for reverse gear. I had some doubts that 6 th and reverse gear might get confused in a 6 speed Transmission but thats not the case here , the collar provided in the gear knob , We have to push it up and the car easily goes in the 6 th gear . Even a 15 lakhs Scorpio have big trouble to go to the reverse gear but not here . Now let me tell about each modes .

CITY MODE :

This is the default mode of the car and this mode is perfect for the city driving conditions , The gear ratio is very small which makes it a bliss to drive in city . Even you can drive the car in 3 rd gear in city moderate traffic and you wont have the trouble too much to down shift. You will feel the turbo lag in this mode a bit while you drive in traffic . The bumper to bumper traffic driving is good in this mode too . The power is adequate in City mode . I feel this mode is just straight line like a linear one no more no less . Once you go beyond 2000 rpm mark you will love the way she drives which will put a smile on your face . Since this is a default mode you can use this in either City or highway . I just got 9 to 10 kmpl in this mode may be after first service it will change will update here then and there .

ECO MODE :

As the name suggests this mode is strictly for economy but also you should know that you can never ever use it in City . If you are using this mode in city you will hate this mode as the power is very less for initial gears too . This mode is strictly to cruise in long highways where you will love this mode and inturn the car will give you a good efficiency , The car returned me 15 kmpl in the highway at a steady 80 to 100 k/hr.

SPORTS MODE :

The mode that i love and the mode every one will love . Change to city mode and press the accelerator and you will feel the difference , This is a treat to every enthusiast like me and the car's full power of 110 PS is visible here . There is even very less turbo lag in this mode and the car just cruises. Most of us will love the engine sound at above 3500 rpm just a pleasant sound to our ears . Of course this affects the mileage of the car in a big way but if you have bugs to fill this even may be your default driving mode .

RIDE AND HANDLING :

The steering is smooth and light . You will have a good command while driving as i felt the turning in this car is great . It was like the car steered in the way i wanted it to also the steering weighs adequately as the speed progress .

The suspension is definitely on the harder side which is how it should be for a SUV and the car can take any pot holes you throw at her . Chennai is well know for stupid big speed breaks which comes without even a warning and the 209mm ground clearance will help you a lot here . I just stopped worrying about speed breakers because of it .

The braking is great in this car as ABS and EBD are standard. I tried stopping the car from 80 to 0 , i was not able to calculate the time but the ABS and EBD helped me a lot to have great control in the car despite heavy braking , that's how an ABS works and it does the job perfectly in nexon . Since the suspension in on hard side you will find the ride uncomfortable at times but that's how it should be for a SUV as you can go in any bad roads with this suspension .

OTHER THINGS INSIDE THE CAR :

The glove box is not a cooled one but if you want it go for the XT variant , the space provided inside the glove box is adequate . There are two umbrella holders in the front side which fits small sized umbrellas .

The glass holder can fit aviator Ray ban glass with the cover but not the waffler one . The cabin light just lights the front side and no lights are provide for the rear passengers which you will miss definitely .

I have no idea what to do with the hole provided for push button start , advices are welcome.

For the XZ+ variant a sliding place near the arm rest is given to place your smart phone which you will miss as there are no space for me after i placed the arm rest though the arm rest is not a fixed one still i need to find a solution .

NEGATIVES OF NEXON :

1. Clutch throw is very long which makes quick shifting quite slow

2. Gear box reach is also not perfect . Its good but not the best

3. Less height of the car makes it look not like a perfect SUV , had they increased the height to 50mm Nexon would have been a perfect looking SUV

4. Absence of parcel tray in XM

5. The ABC pedals have good distance between them but it affects the accessing of dead pedal

I conclude the review by saying just that this is the best car under 8 lakhs , ofcourse some niggles but its not just a VFM(Value For Money) but we have been given by Tata more than that we actually paid for .

More than happy I am extremely proud that Tata , an indian company just rocked in the automobile market and this is just a beginning from them .

Happy motoring and Be Indian Buy INDIAN .

* The car soley owned by my elder brother who bought it for our family . Thank you Anna for selecting the car that i chose in spite you paid for it .
* The people in Tata have improved a lot and it shows by ranking 3rd in the month of November
* Sorry Guys for placing pics at the last I tried to post pics in between the review but was not able to do it
* Will update then and there in this thread after every services and I am planning for a long trip this week end

Thank you Guys for reading the review patiently . Hope i was ok , just forgive if i wasn't as this is my very first review and sorry for the delay . If you have any queries ask in the thread will be happy to help you .
Hi where did you get the armrest? Nicely integrated.

Hi Sudharson,
Congratulations on your Blue Nexon and wish you millions of happy miles on it [:)]. I enjoyed reading your ownership report and it brought back the moments of my Tiago purchase and delivery. Tata is going very aggressive on the pricing front with their cars and I wish them good luck in grabbing market share from MSIL and Hyundai.

- That arm rest is super cool, great job by the shop guys.
- I did not like Tata skipping on rear defogger and day/night IRVM on lower variants. These are safety features and not creature comforts.
- Looking forward to your DRL/Fog upgrade, make sure the shop does not slice any wires in installing them and your warranty will be good. At least it can be easily removed when claiming warranty, should that scenario happen.
- The start/stop dummy may be used to house the fog switch, if possible.
- I believe the Harman unit in XM is the same as Tiago XZ and it should not have any trouble powering the tweeters you installed. I am sure all wiring for tweeters would have already been present in your Nexon.
- A lot has been discussed about those bull bars and I agree with them on the potential risks they come with.
- On the MID, higher variants get instantaneous FE, LED fuel and temperate gauges if I am not wrong. Not deal breakers IMO.

Looking forward to see your upgrades and updates on the car. Until then, buckle up and enjoy the ride. [thumbsup]

Top Bottom