Tata Nexon Petrol XZA+: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #61
I got the second free servicing of my Nexon done a few days back. My car had done only 3900 Kms, and had been under my ownership for 6 months, when it went for this service. I communicated the following list of issues to the supervisor while handing over the car.
  1. Vibration in brake pedal when braking at high speed
  2. Metallic sound when brakes applied suddenly at high speed
  3. Creaking sound when steering wheel is turned
  4. Car starts with a shudder when beginning to move
  5. Chattering sound from driver side window when glass partially open
  6. Update of infotainment system software and ECU update to latest versions
  7. GPS navigation display fluctuating
  8. Coin fallen inside central console behind tambourine door
I requested the supervisor to come with me on a test drive to understand the issues so that he could observe these and fix them suitably. While on test drive the first 2 issues were demonstrated to him. As per him these are due to ABS and all cars with ABS have these. I was OK to believe this for the first point but not the second, as no type of sound (we heard the grinding of brake pads) should come while applying brakes. So as per the supervisor nothing needs to be done for the first 2 issues.

The creaking sound while turning the steering was due to the tyres turning on the floor or the ground. This was seen by lifting the car up and then turning the steering and no sound was heard that time. I was convinced and OK with the reasoning.

The fourth item regarding car starting to move with a shudder was also demonstrated. The supervisor said he would first observe this in other AMT cars and let me know.

Supervisor heard the chattering sound from the driver side window glass and told me that this would be fixed. He also told me that for the GPS navigation display issue the software will be updated and a person from Harman had been called to do the same. He told me however that there is no ECU update available for the AMT Nexon. Regarding the coin fallen inside the central console he said that it would not cause any problem, so nothing needs to be done about it.

Upon reaching the service centre I confirmed with them if they had tested after fixing issues and the answer was yes. The infotainment software was updated to version October 2018 and now has apple play. The camera display seems to have improved but only slightly. The window glass chattering issue was fixed, but the "shuddering at start" issue was not attended to. The supervisor told me that no other AMT car came for servicing that day so he could not observe the issue in another car, but he told me that he would get back to me in a few days regarding that.

The engine oil was not changed, as it is done only at 15000 km or after one year.

I got the second free servicing of my Nexon done a few days back. My car had done only 3900 Kms, and had been under my ownership for 6 months, when it went for this service. I communicated the following list of issues to the supervisor while handing over the car.
  1. Vibration in brake pedal when braking at high speed
  2. Metallic sound when brakes applied suddenly at high speed
  3. Creaking sound when steering wheel is turned
  4. Car starts with a shudder when beginning to move
  5. Chattering sound from driver side window when glass partially open
  6. Update of infotainment system software and ECU update to latest versions
  7. GPS navigation display fluctuating
  8. Coin fallen inside central console behind tambourine door
I requested the supervisor to come with me on a test drive to understand the issues so that he could observe these and fix them suitably. While on test drive the first 2 issues were demonstrated to him. As per him these are due to ABS and all cars with ABS have these. I was OK to believe this for the first point but not the second, as no type of sound (we heard the grinding of brake pads) should come while applying brakes. So as per the supervisor nothing needs to be done for the first 2 issues.

The creaking sound while turning the steering was due to the tyres turning on the floor or the ground. This was seen by lifting the car up and then turning the steering and no sound was heard that time. I was convinced and OK with the reasoning.

The fourth item regarding car starting to move with a shudder was also demonstrated. The supervisor said he would first observe this in other AMT cars and let me know.

Supervisor heard the chattering sound from the driver side window glass and told me that this would be fixed. He also told me that for the GPS navigation display issue the software will be updated and a person from Harman had been called to do the same. He told me however that there is no ECU update available for the AMT Nexon. Regarding the coin fallen inside the central console he said that it would not cause any problem, so nothing needs to be done about it.

Upon reaching the service centre I confirmed with them if they had tested after fixing issues and the answer was yes. The infotainment software was updated to version October 2018 and now has apple play. The camera display seems to have improved but only slightly. The window glass chattering issue was fixed, but the "shuddering at start" issue was not attended to. The supervisor told me that no other AMT car came for servicing that day so he could not observe the issue in another car, but he told me that he would get back to me in a few days regarding that.

The engine oil was not changed, as it is done only at 15000 km or after one year.
Can you please record the sounds you had mentioned as videos and post in forum (You can create youtube channel in your name , and link of same will do)
As , I doubt the effectiveness of diagnosis by service advisor.

Thread Starter #64
You can get the oil changed if you ask for it
Although its not compulsory.
It's only for the peace of mind.
Mayank ji
I understand that you have got the oil changed in your Nexon in both first and second services. What is the advantage of that ?

Can you please record the sounds you had mentioned as videos and post in forum (You can create youtube channel in your name , and link of same will do)
As , I doubt the effectiveness of diagnosis by service advisor.
The sound is low so it will not be captured effectively in the recording with the noise of engine and running car.

Mayank ji
I understand that you have got the oil changed in your Nexon in both first and second services. What is the advantage of that ?
The engine during run in period , gets lubed up in all parts, and some parts have this aluminium oxide residues (mild powdery coat), these gets shedded off and mixes with oil , and this can be removed by first oil change at early interval.

(Some may say , from factory itself one set of engine oil change is done, can't say how much its proven )

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Mayank ji
I do not have any scientific proof,but as I said just for the piece of mind,I went ahead with it.
Internet is flooded with advantages of early oil changes especially in the 1st service.I do believe oil + engine friction tech has improved over the years and companies(also to impress customers) are announcing 15000 kms or 20000 kms change interval. I never got convinced though and went ahead with 10000 kms change interval in all my cars. Again can't prove its advantage though.By not changing oil ,I do not want to risk turbo and drivetrain complications in future years.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #68
In my earlier post I had mentioned my unhappiness at the lack of a charging port for rear passengers (a feature taken away from the later versions of Nexon). To compensate for the same I bought a "Back seat organizer" from Ali express which has 4 charging ports and it connects to the driver side 12V charging port. The variant I chose is in black colour, and looks quite durable and looks great too. Although lesser priced ones were available I like this one for its better quality. The product took about 3 weeks to get delivered. Now the rear passengers in my Nexon don't have to worry about charging their phones :-)

IMG_20190111_153356.jpg

IMG_20190111_153324.jpg

Thread Starter #71
Apart from this I also purchased a few more things for my Nexon. Since mine was top model, it is already fully kitted, so got only these things as per my requirement. Will post about these in my subsequent posts.

Got a sun shade for windshield to prevent the car from getting too hot when parked in the sun especially in Delhi's summers. The size is just right for Nexon. The advantage of this is that it folds into a small size and can be easily kept in the door pocket. Ordered it from Amazon.

IMG_20190112_152615.jpg

Thread Starter #72
Got this "Door edge scratch Guard" strip from Ali express to prevent scratches on the door edges of my Nexon. It will also prevent scratches on body of adjacent cars in parking lots. I ordered a 6 metre bundle, but found that it is not enough to cover all four doors and boot lid door. So I have ordered another 6 metre pack and will use it on the edges of the bonnet also. As you can see from the pics below the design of the strip is such that it will grip the edge and also there is an adhesive on the inside. I have seen that the adhesive does not damage the paint in any way.

If you want to cover only four doors (excluding the boot lid) then 6 metres should be enough.

IMG_20190112_153631.jpg

Screenshot_2019-01-12-15-49-17-12.png

These are actual pics of the strip fixed on the door edges of the Nexon:

IMG20190112143916-792x1056.jpg

IMG20190112144123-792x1056.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All

Had a quick question so posting it here instead of the what car section since this seems to be popular thread (or only one?) for the Tata Nexon petrol. I am looking to purchase a Tata Nexon XZA petrol and was waiting for my family to come to Bangalore so that we can all test drive it together.

However, just came across a used Tata Nexon XZA petrol less than 6000kms done (owners says that he has multiple cars and his usage is less). I would like to understand from the members here if there are any specific pointers to look for when checking the car.

Also any pointers towards a fair price for it would be great too.

Check for painting (Bonnet area , running board ), door alignments (To ensure its free of accidents)
Overall vehicle health can be ensured from service centre (To be sure that its maintained well , it might have undergone only the 1st free service)
Check with the papers (To be sure that legally everything is perfect)

Thread Starter #75
My nexon will be a one year old baby by 9th July and is now due for this third service. It has run only 5000 kms.

Any particular points to be kept in mind for the third servicing in Nexon XZA+ ?

Top Bottom