Tata Nexon Petrol XZA+: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #16
Highway Mileage in Economy Driving Mode

One morning I took my new XZA+ petrol on a short drive to test it's mileage on a highway. My car had run only about 400 km till then. Started early morning at around quarter to seven and drove from my home onto the Noida - greater Noida expressway till Pari chowk and back, a round trip of about 64 Kms.

I wanted to see the maximum mileage which petrol Nexon would give, so I drove in ECO mode throughout, tried to keep the RPM between 1500 and 2000, and the speed between 80-90 km/hr. I also put the AC in economy mode (don't know though what it does and how).

Once on the highway the drive was mostly in 6th gear (auto mode). I had started the trip meter (A) before starting from home. The trip average shown on MID kept on increasing steadily during the drive until it showed a high of around 21.8, at a point when I was driving at a speed of about 70 km/hr for a short while. Otherwise I was maintaing a speed of about 80-90 throughout. Trust me it was quite difficult for me not to exceed 90 on a road that is very smooth to drive on and it was mostly devoid of heavy traffic at that time, but I restrained myself.

The trip completed with the MID showing a trip distance of 64.1 km and an average of 20.6 km/litre. Even if I assume that the MID shows upto 2-3 Kms more, the mileage was pretty impressive, in view of the fact that car is still in its run-in period. Note that I drove in ECO mode, with speed not exceeding 90, and a keen eye on the RPM.

Would love to know similar experience of other nexon petrol owners on TAI.

Attachments

Thread Starter #17
Highway mileage in SPORT mode

Took a ride on the highway another morning, on the same route (Noida-Greater Noida expressway), same distance. But this time drive was in SPORT mode throughout.

The drive on expressway was a smooth drive as the road is very good and there was very less traffic, being a Sunday morning. The speedometer hovered consistently between 100 and 120 on the expressway, and the rpm around 2500 while cruising. The AC was on throughout.

The end of the trip of 64 km, the average mileage shown on the MID was 13.6. The highest figure shown during the trip was 14.1 while on the expressway. Compare these with the readings while driving in ECO mode, as per my first post above.

I believe the mileage obtained while driving in SPORT mode on hilly routes or while off-roading may be much lesser than this. Eager to know the same from other Nexon owners.

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Congrats @msklilly!!

This is indeed the most detailed ownership review of Nexon AMT. Wonderfully written and 1st time I have seen an owner of a Silver Nexon. You have covered a lot of details which will be of benefit to many buyers and the readers.

Thanks a ton for the great effort[clap] & Best of luck with the Nexon!!

Regards

Akash

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Congrats for the silver surfer, if I may call it. Wonder full review of my favourite car. Please post more pics.

Last edited:
Highway mileage in SPORT mode

Took a ride on the highway another morning, on the same route (Noida-Greater Noida expressway), same distance. But this time drive was in SPORT mode throughout.

The drive on expressway was a smooth drive as the road is very good and there was very less traffic, being a Sunday morning. The speedometer hovered consistently between 100 and 120 on the expressway, and the rpm around 2500 while cruising. The AC was on throughout.

The end of the trip of 64 km, the average mileage shown on the MID was 13.6. The highest figure shown during the trip was 14.1 while on the expressway. Compare these with the readings while driving in ECO mode, as per my first post above.

I believe the mileage obtained while driving in SPORT mode on hilly routes or while off-roading may be much lesser than this. Eager to know the same from other Nexon owners.
Congratulations on your new car.
You have written a very beautiful and detailed ownership review [clap]

Thread Starter #25
Thanks.
Like the nickname you have given it ... "Silver Nexy" [:D].

Tempted to now call it "Nilver Sexy" [;)] He he ...

Thanks SilverEyez

Last edited by a moderator:
Many congratulations sir for the ride. I noticed Mr. Vijay Taneja(GM) in one of the pictures. As I mentioned earlier, Sagar motors is my go to place.

I have been driving my XZA+ Petrol for close to a month now. But I have never been able to get anywhere close to the FE you are getting. Since the car is still in runin period, I am using ECO mode so that RPM doesn't go up. However, I have noticed that even in ECO mode shift from 1 to 2 happens post 2500 RPM. Also, till 1500 RPM in 1st gear, car barely moves. The creep function takes at least a second or two to move the car in ECO mode. In my office drive I get the FE of ~9 kmpl. I went to Damdama lake once and in that trip it was 11. In my Zest I used to get 12-13 kmpl for my office drive in ECO mode, maintaining the RPM in 1000-2000 range. I used to shift gears at 1500 RPM.

Please suggest if I need to change my driving style or shoul I get the car checked at service center. Though it's in runin period but seeing the FE you are getting I am thinking of getting it checked even before the first service.

Thread Starter #28
Dear GSYadav
I would say - do not worry about mileage at this stage. Both my 'mileage test drives' were on expressway where driving conditions are close to ideal - minimal change of gears, almost constant speed & rpm and minimal braking, which you are unlikely to get within the city and even enroute to Damdama. So naturally mileage will be higher.

Within city and in traffic even I am getting close to 9-10. Even my Honda City used to give 11 in city traffic.

Yes I have also observed that in ECO mode the rpm increases to about 2500 while changing gears from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.

Also note that company doesn't differentiate between mileage for XZA+ and the lower models. In XZA+ you have automatic gear change and wider tyres. Both factors will result in (slightly) lower mileage as compared to a manual variant with narrower tyres. And mileage should increase after 2nd servicing. First service is only checking and inspection.

When you can, go for a ride on expressway early morning when there is minimal traffic.

Chill and enjoy your new ride [drive]

Msklilly

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
Highway mileage in "City" mode

Another Sunday morning run on the Noida-Greater greater Noida expressway gave me an overall mileage of 17.4

Once on the expressway I maintained a speed of around 100 and rpm around 2000. AC was set to 26 degrees in automatic mode. While coming back I opened both the front windows and switched off the AC. The mileage until then which was showing around 16, started climbing and touched a high of 17.6 before settling at 17.4 at the end of the trip. So I guess if the AC would have been off throughout, the mileage would be even higher.

Attachments

Top Bottom