Tata Nexon Ownership Review: Living The Nexon Life

Thread Starter #526

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
3 things are happening at the same time;

1) Car is launched with the best combination of chassis and members , but in the garb of product improvement manuf.simply removes stuff, over the years. As a result car keeps on becoming little bit lighter with improved average. Have you seen with every new version and slightly changed interior or exterior maruti announces"now the improved versions average has increased from 22 to 24.5km/ltr . Even though engine is same! And we fools think suzuki is sending us new engine from japan each year for every new version!!
2) To duck under the tax radar + stupid auto magazine journos comparisons ,manuf. deliberately declares less wt.of car. Lesser wt will automatically show good power to wt figures in magazines. Nexon is an example. I will be more happy if its
loha-laat and not tinny. Why feel ashamed of the wt,if it brings you 5 stars in NCAP??
3)Technology is ever changing.Sometimes a heavy iron member is really replaced by more strong alloy/carbon fibre/polymer/NASA tech material etc ,as a result obvious wt. reduction is there.This is actually good for the car as well as the customer.A very obvious eg is replacing 5 iron rims weighing 63 kgs total with 5 alloy rims weighing 30 kg total. Problem here is cost skyrockets.

Manufacturers cant increase cost. Otherwise you will hate him. So he will always make you believe that wt.reduction is due to point no 3 only. While in reality, this is only possible in supercars/premium cars/customer-doesn't- bother -whatever you charge -cars,and not possible in el cheapo cars without compromising safety of the car by removing the members and making the shell thinner and thinner.

This is the reason why I have my doubts on this new heartect platform.This mumbo jumbo is claimed to be stronger and has reduced the kerb weight of swift from 960 kgs(mine) to 860 kgs(now). But just google baleno accident pics and see the death rate of the occupants and you will get an idea what is actually happening.

Now you must see very closely with intelligence and patience and common sense that what actually is being done with your car.

Last edited:
Hello Mayank sir,

I read in one of the other ownership reviews about the right leg ac vent getting insanely hot when the AC temperature is set at anything above 26 degrees. Do you have the same issue in your car as well? Can you please check?

My parents are planning to buy a Nexon petrol automatic. mostly the xza+ variant.

Regards,
Kinshuk

Thread Starter #528

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
No, I have not faced such issue in the last 1 year.In Fact the min. temp. hovering around 5 degrees in kanpur,I will be more than happy with this niggle in winters.[:D]
BTW I daily set temp to 30 degrees in the morning.And actually I feel it doesn't get warm enough,compared to my erstwhile swift petrol.

Thread Starter #529

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Today I got the 3rd free service done for my Nexon. It took a whole day for this one. As usual I was standing with them for this whole process.
All the underbody bolts were retorqued.

Engine oil and oil filter was changed again. Actually It was being changed at every service. I know it's finicky. But that is to allay my tensions.

Infotainment software was more than a year old. It was changed to the latest version. Now it has Apple car Play etc. More over the colour smudging between various drive modes on the screen itself is solved completely.

Drivers door glass wasn't winding up and down freely. The whole assembly was opened and changed under warranty.

ECU was updated to the latest version. Now the engine sounds more quite. It is claimed to Stop the hunting behaviour in the mornings.

Rear wiper was not throwing water. Clogged duct was changed to a new one.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #530

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Today I got the 3rd free service done for my Nexon. It took a whole day for this one. As usual I was standing with them for this whole process.
All the underbody bolts were retorqued.
Engine oil and oil filter was changed again. Actually It was being changed at every service. I know it's finicky. But that is to allay my tensions.
Infotainment software was more than a year old. It was changed to the latest version. Now it has Apple car Play etc. More over the colour smudging between various drive modes on the screen itself is solved completely.
Drivers door glass wasn't winding up and down freely. The whole assembly was opened and changed under warranty.
ECU was updated to the latest version. Now the engine sounds more quite. It is claimed to Stop the hunting behaviour in the mornings.
Rear wiper was not throwing water. Clogged duct was changed to a new one.

Some of the pics from the service.
This part from the door was changed under warranty.
IMG-20181227-WA0102.jpg

oil filter for nexon
IMG-20181227-WA0108.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0110.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0110.jpg

the sump draining old oil.Sump is very straightforward in nexon.Very easily within reach.Drain bolt is also front facing and easy to open and accessible.
IMG-20181227-WA0094.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0094.jpg

the driver door pad is dismantled to take out the defective part
IMG-20181227-WA0083.jpg

this is the winding motor .Its alright.But the base part/channel for winding is changed.
IMG-20181227-WA0101.jpg

this is the oldest version in my car.I took this pic before service.This version is of last year.Nobody updated it.
IMG-20181227-WA0068.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #532

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
IMG-20181227-WA0085.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0083.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0080.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0067.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0067.jpg
IMG-20181227-WA0062.jpg

TATA motors has used top quality parts in the Nexon. Instead of just a plastic sheet they have used good quality foam material under the door pads. It will help in sound insulation too.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
I can see Tata has used this nice foam/plastic sheets for insulation. These are missing in Safari, which causes higher noise.

I want to try neoprene insulation whenever I Open the door pads.

The speakers however, looks Xuv like cheap paper whizzer cone design. And not components as in safari.

Yes you are absolutely correct. Resetting again and again gives higher figures. Not resetting at all for 2 months results in 18-20 km/ltr at best,in the city.
+ 1 on this. With my Tigor too, I got FE figures of 27.5 on a stretch of 1-2 kms, when I reset it during my ride after a minute or two of starting. :)

Thread Starter #536

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
This is the latest version now in my Nexon.
The camera display quality has improved by leaps and bounds. I have always had this grouse. Now I am relieved.
Previous display was grainy and looked black and white only. Now it's all rich colours and its bright even in the night.
IMG-20181228-WA0005.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #537

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
It always looked like too much power being sent by the engine and car is not able to take it. Then around 2200 to 2350 rpm sudden" hawww" sound for 1 micro second along with sudden surge of power. I don't know what to make of it. There were no error codes or CEL .Nothing. Only seen in acceleration. No such thing in normal slow pickup/driving. Therefore I thought maybe sticky +dirty throttle body along with sticky valves is causing sudden instead of smooth opening..
On slightly high RPM pickup and spirited driving it disappeared for few days only to reappear in city driving( but only under hard acceleration).
This I am quoting from my own post of june 2018. This was the problem I faced with my car right from the day of purchase.
Sudden sound and jerk at 2200 rpm on continuous sudden accelerator input.This seemed to vanish in summers,but returned again with a vengeance this winter .It was like fuel supply is irregular with sudden spurt at 2200 rpm.
I could never demonstrate it to folks at TATA ASS.But it seems head engineers were aware of this problem all along and were trying to find the solution.I was wondering about how to get it solved in the third service.
I am so pleased to speak that with the latest ECU update/flashing this problem is solved permanently for good.This I can conclude after driving spiritedly for many kms after service.
Another problem of variable rpm fluctuation for 7 minutes post morning start,is also gone now.This was not bothersome but was never seen by me in any of my car since m800.
Full 10/10 marks to TATA for this service.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #538

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Car is running fine after the 3rd service.Did not get the car washed at the ASS so cleaned it today with wet microfiber cloth.
Nexon will be reaching 8000 kms mark soon.
I am constantly on the lookout for RPM vibration /fluctuation sign in the morning temperatures.Its 3 degrees centigrade only in kanpur.Despite all that Car shows no fluctuation.Engine note is rock steady as it should be. I am happy.Touchwood.[:D]
IMG-20181231-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0011.jpg

hiding behind the big brother
IMG-20181231-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20181231-WA0010.jpg

Happy new year to all my fellow TAI members who are all like my brothers.

Last edited:
Hi, mayank Sir,

I have completed 10000 KM and very much satisfied with this... Suddenly after some update from Tata Service center, i found that now the alert voice for Door Open, low fuel, seat belts etc are not there... only beap sound for Seat belt is here... are you also feeling the same...

That alert voice was very nice, feels having a premium segment cars..
I have just got Nexon P XZ in December and it is manufactured in Nov 2018. The voice alerts are missing just as you have mentioned and Voice alert is only present for Drive mode Change. I was surprised if it is an issue with my car only. Now am able to relate it that in new Infotainment software update the feature would have been removed as my car would have got the version out from the Factory itself.

Thread Starter #540

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I have just got Nexon P XZ in December and it is manufactured in Nov 2018. The voice alerts are missing just as you have mentioned and Voice alert is only present for Drive mode Change. I was surprised if it is an issue with my car only. Now am able to relate it that in new Infotainment software update the feature would have been removed as my car would have got the version out from the Factory itself.
No this is not true.
All the voice alerts which were present before the update are also present after the update. No voice alerts is deleted. I have already checked for them thoroughly after the service.
Features are added, not deleted in this update.

Last edited:

Top Bottom