Tata Nexon Ownership Review: Living The Nexon Life

Thread Starter #1

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
"No car is perfect in this world. We strive to make them perfect. likewise no car is totally bad. We all love our cars passionately and unconditionally. In this review, I do not intend to hurt any members feelings,nor do I intend to show any car in poor light. If at all, I hurt /step over someone's toes inadvertently, during my review ,please forgive me for it." ...Mayank

Why a new car?

I was a proud owner of Ritz 1.2 (2010 model)and Swift 1.3 (2008 model)both petrol vxi. Of late I was getting tired of new problems popping up almost every other day,in both the cars. My wife was simply getting sick of the 2 hatchbacks which we owned, occupying space in our gallery, but not being driven around much.She felt that there was need for only one car,and that two cars are overkill for our small family size.A.C of the maruti ritz never cooled us ever .In the last couple of years Ritz A.C started deteriorating /malfunctioning further,and driving the car was getting exhausting and torturous.MASS always said: leave your car with us ,we will open up and see,and then tell you what the problem is!! In simple words there was very little air coming out of the vents, cool or not. All 4 door latches of Ritz were changed over the years due to defects.They used to get locked permanently refusing to open. Problem with Swift was that it was becoming a rattle house of all sorts. And the rattles were increasing every year, despite of a major suspension overhaul as well as tyre change to yokohama A- drives. Both the cars required a clutch overhaul within next 10,000 kms. We wanted one good hatchback in exchange of these 2 we owned.Despite of my love and longing for these 2 cars,it was time for us to move on.I cried the whole night thinking how I will have to part with them. We started searching for the options.

Cars we were looking at.

1) Mahindra TUV-300 T8
2) Ford Ecosport
3) TATA NEXON

As is my habit,I never go out in the market and try/test drive 15 cars to find out which car is for me. I first decide which car appeals to me the most,and then go out in the showroom and try to reason out why I should buy/not buy this car.So my choice is already narrowed down to 2,at the most 3 cars even before I venture out of my home! If only sales staff knew of my habit !!
Initially I was not at all in love with Tata. Bad images of the past, lazy attitude in improving SAFARI, niggles and complaints with earlier models and Aria pricing and positioning disaster played their part in putting me off.Actually I was afraid of owning a tata car,due to so many complaints in online forums.Moreover nothing appealed to me from their stable except SAFARI. But I started noting the changes in Tata, since the launch of Zest. It was a better car than its peers of that time. To me it looked to be of strong built and with no major niggles thread running around in online forums. Then when Tiago was launched,I was impressed further. I liked the shape as well as interiors of the car. But it was a 3 pot shaky motor. It was almost perfect city car with small footprint, within my budget. But it appeared actually like a downgrade from my Swift and Ritz, which were both 4 cylinder engines and refined as well. I lost interest and started looking at TUV 300.I was mesmerized with its high seating position, looks and ladder frame chassis, robust and abuse friendly nature. There was 1 more contender and that was Ford Ecosport. But my wife rejected it outright, saying she did not like the shape of it at all!! Who was I to contradict her?! I had liked TUV300 all this while. 5th tyre on the TUV suits more than on the Ecosport,that's true. It doesn’t look SUV type but TUV looked the part. I took 2 test drives of TUV ,and I liked the car very much.
Its amusing to think of this fact that I never ever test drove Ford Ecosport,despite of it being in the contender list. And I do not regret it either. Only TUV was the one pulling my heart strings,and it was the only true contender of Nexon.

TATA Dealer EXPERIENCE.
There are 2 Tata dealers in my city, viz.1] Society motors 2]Brindavan shelters.
On 21st sept,Nexon was launched. So far I was not a fan. I did not approve of the shape. Still I was just very curious with all the hoopla around it.I wanted to see what am I missing (which everybody was praising about). I landed in the Society motors showroom,on 19th sept itself,ie 2 days before the official launch.Nexon was there in dual tone sapphire blue colour. I was mighty impressed.!!I Liked the exterior as well as the interior, which was at least 2 generation ahead of the cars I owned.Only when I saw the car in person did I realise its beauty and fit and finish.There was a finesse to it which was missing in the TUV. I requested the test drive then and there. They promised it only after official launch. Fair enough. I agreed. They noted down all my personal details. On the promised appointed date, I waited and waited in my home, and no one came, no call, no sorry nothing!!. The funny thing is the same thing happened on 3 different occasions[;)]. I was frustrated to no end. I was forced to approach Brindavan Shelters,the second dealer in my city .Initially they did not have the test drive vehicle. Finally when the vehicle arrived with them,the Nexon test drive happened,which completely and totally changed my as well as my wife's mind.It was a better car, then tuv in more aspects than one and it appealed to our heart as well as mind.It was fitting perfectly to our requirements.Therefore We finalised NEXON,xz+ diesel in single tone Moroccan blue colour.The dealer offered to exchange both of our hatchbacks with TATA ASSURED.We were contented.When it was time to let go of our swift and ritz we all became teary eyed.My son was the saddest.He treated them like buddies.Truly they had become like family members to us in the past decade. Alas!Farewell! Time to move on.

Initial NEXON ownership experience.
Its based on my driving it in the city for about 1000 kms,mostly in city mode and sometimes in sports mode.
In one word: FANTASTIC.

What I love in this car.
1] Nexon is Easy to drive. Ergonomics is spot on. Everything is easily within reach.
2] Fantastic acceleration, even in the city mode, which I am using currently.Sports modes takes it to another level with powerful pickup and adrenaline rush.
3] Chilly A.C, cools the cabin very fast.
4] Good visibility of road from the driver seat, I can see the top bulge of the headlights.Car has light steering and simple and easy maneuverability.
5] Big[215/60R16] Bridgestone Turanza tyres.
6] Very very good ground clearance of 209 mm. This is very welcome in my city Kanpur,which is notorious for bad roads filled with potholes.
7] Build quality is exceptional. Everything appears to be properly bolted and held together.This car will surely score good someday in NCAP tests.
8] Plastic quality is one generation ahead of the present day [esp.maruti ]cars.
9] Brake bite early and bite is firm and good too.There is no panic or drama in sudden braking maneuvers. The car stops in time and within expected distance.
10] Contrary to what is posted in popular online forums, I find the ride supple and pliant. It’s not at all bouncy, or wallowy. Its firmly planted ride with muted suspension noise. TATA has not compromised the ride quality in exchange for high G.C.
11] Eight speaker HARMANN music system is awesome. I do not find any need to upgrade in this area. The sound is clear and crispy with adequate bass. There is no vibration or buzzing from the sound system.
12] During vacuum cleaning I noticed that TATA has nowhere tried to do cost cutting,be it the carpeting or the plastics.Every thing in the interior looks from 2 segments above,it's that good.
13] The fuel average I am getting currently is 14 to 16 km/lt. I am alright with it.
I am happy. I am falling in love with this car each day.Its growing up on me!!

My wish list of improvements.
1] Stepney should be an alloy in xz+.
2] 1st and 2nd gears are difficult to engage. I struggle with them to slot into the gates properly, otherwise the gear stick bounces back to neutral.They are notchy.
3] Accessories should not be forced down owner’s throat. I should be free to choose what I want.Despie of stiff resistance I was forced to purchase the el-cheapo perfumes, mats and covers etc as official accesories for exorbitant price.
4] Tata should provide more colour options for the car.
5] Whenever I accelerate, the engine note is very audible inside the car despite of all the insulation. Only when the music is off, I do get to hear it.I don't dislike it ,but I did not expect it either. This engine note of acceleration is present on all modes and is max in sports mode.I am getting used to it.Maybe it will decrease with time.
Enough of talk.Now some pics.

On the day of delivery with my family on the right.My swift on the extreme left. BTW who is smiling the most?
IMG-20171101-WA0037.jpg

in my home,under the porch
IMG-20171031-WA0052.jpg

IMG-20171101-WA0033.jpg

yours truly with the camera for the occasion
IMG-20171101-WA0029.jpg

various stickers on the windshield along with oem fastag
IMG-20171101-WA0027.jpg

I like the funky back with bumper reflectors and the shark fin antenna
IMG-20171101-WA0043.jpg

LED back-lights in action
IMG-20171101-WA0026.jpg

osprey was the original name planned by TATA
IMG-20171101-WA0025.jpg

Beautiful DRLs in action
IMG-20171101-WA0014.jpg

Funky grill shape and the eyebrow indicators
IMG-20171031-WA0051.jpg

I love the simplistic 5 spoke alloy wheel design
IMG-20171101-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20171101-WA0058.jpg

Dashboard-with infotainment screen

IMG-20171101-WA0035.jpg

ORVM with turn indicators
IMG-20171101-WA0063.jpg

IMG-20171101-WA0040.jpg

The roof rails are not stuck as an accessory but are real and quite sturdy
IMG-20171101-WA0016.jpg

youngest fan of Nexon in the house
IMG-20171101-WA0036.jpg

TATA logo and the various controls on the steering
IMG-20171101-WA0034.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Living the NEXON Life

mayankdixit said:
2] 1st and 2nd gears are difficult to engage. I struggle with them to slot into the gates properly, otherwise the gear stick bounces back to neutral.They are notchy.
Seems very serious problem. How is the clutch? Heavy or light?

"No car is perfect in this world.We strive to make them perfect.likewise no car is totally bad.We all love our cars.I do not intend to hurt any members feelings,nor do I intend to show any car in poor light.If at all I hurt /step over someone's toes inadvertently,please forgive me for it."

Why a new car.

I was a proud owner of Ritz 1.2 (2010 model)and Swift 1.3 (2008 model)both petrol vxi. Of late I was getting tired of new problems popping up almost every other day,in both the cars. My wife was simply getting sick of the 2 hatchbacks which we owned, occupying space in our gallery, but not being driven around much.She felt that there was need for only one car,and that two cars are overkill for our small family size.A.C of the maruti ritz never cooled us ever .In the last couple of years Ritz A.C started deteriorating /malfunctioning further,and driving the car was getting exhausting and torturous.MASS always said: leave your car with us ,we will open up and see,and then tell you what the problem is!! In simple words there was very little air coming out of the vents, cool or not. All 4 door latches of Ritz were changed over the years due to defects.They used to get locked permanently refusing to open. Problem with Swift was that it was becoming a rattle house of all sorts. And the rattles were increasing every year, despite of a major suspension overhaul as well as tyre change to yokohama A- drives. Both the cars required a clutch overhaul within next 10000 kms. We wanted one good hatchback in exchange of these 2 we owned.Despite of my love and longing for these 2 cars,it was time for us to move on.We started searching for the options.

Cars we were looking at.

TUV 300 T8
Ford Ecosport
TATA NEXON
Initially I was not at all in love with Tata. Bad images of the past, lazy attitude in improving SAFARI, niggles and complaints with earlier models and Aria pricing and positioning disaster played their part in putting me off.Actually I was afraid of owning a tata car,due to so many complaints in online forums.Moreover nothing appealed to me from their stable except SAFARI. But I started noting the changes in Tata, since the launch of Zest. It was a better car than its peers of that time. To me it looked to be of strong built and with no major niggles thread running around in online forums. Then when Tiago was launched,I was impressed further. I liked the shape as well as interiors of the car. But it was a 3 pot shaky motor. It was almost perfect city car with small footprint, within my budget. But it appeared actually like a downgrade from my Swift and Ritz, which were both 4 cylinder engines and refined as well. I lost interest and started looking at TUV 300.I was mesmerized with its high seating position, looks and ladder frame chassis, robust and abuse friendly nature. There was 1 more contender and that was Ford Ecosport. But my wife rejected it outright, saying she did not like the shape of it at all!! Who was I to contradict her?! I had liked Tuv all this while.5th tyre on the Tuv suits more than on the ecosport,that's true. It doesn’t look SUV type but Tuv looked the part. I took 2 test drives of Tuv,and I liked the car.

TATA Dealer EXPERIENCE.
There are 2 Tata dealers in my city, viz.1] Society motors 2]Brindavan shelters.
On 21st sept,Nexon was launched. So far I was not a fan. I did not approve of the shape. Still I was just very curious with all the hoopla around it.I wanted to see what am I missing (which everybody was praising about). I landed in the Society motors showroom,on 19th sept itself,ie 2 days before the official launch.Nexon was there in dual tone sapphire blue colour. I was mighty impressed.!!I Liked the exterior as well as the interior, which was at least 2 generation ahead of the cars I owned.Only when I saw the car in person did I realise its beauty and fit and finish.There was a finesse to it which was missing in the TUV. I requested the test drive then and there. They promised it only after official launch. Fair enough. I agreed. They noted down all my personal details. On the promised appointed date, I waited and waited in my home, and no one came, no call, no sorry nothing!!. The funny thing is the same thing happened on 3 different occasions[;)]. I was frustrated to no end. I was forced to approach Brindavan Shelters,the second dealer in my city .Initially they did not have the test drive vehicle. Finally when the vehicle arrived with them,the Nexon test drive happened,which completely and totally changed my as well as my wife's mind.It was a better car, then tuv in more aspects than one and it appealed to our heart as well as mind.It was fitting perfectly to our requirements.Therefore We finalised NEXON,xz+ diesel in single tone Moroccan blue colour.The dealer offered to exchange both of our hatchbacks with TATA ASSURED.We were contented.When it was time to let go of our swift and ritz we all became teary eyed.My son was the saddest.He treated them like buddies.Truly they had become like family members to us in the past decade.Alas!Farewell!Time to move on.
Congrats Mayank on your brand new Beauty, I too bought my Nano XTA from Sai Motors, but from an earlier team of Sales Guys.
They have a very good ASS team, I know most from top to bottom, let me know if you face issues.

Initial NEXON ownership experience.
Its based on my driving it in the city for about 500 kms,mostly in city mode and sometimes in sports mode.
In one word: FANTASTIC. What I love:
1] Nexon is Easy to drive. Ergonomics is spot on. Everything is easily within reach.
2] Fantastic acceleration, even in the city mode, which I am using currently.Sports modes takes it to another level with powerful pickup and adrenaline rush.
3] Chilly A.C, cools the cabin very fast.
4] Good visibility of road from the driver seat, I can see the top bulge of the headlights.Car has light steering and simple and easy maneuverability.
5] Big[215/60R16] Bridgestone Turanza tyres.
6]Very good ground clearance of 209mm.This is very welcome in my city kanpur,which is notorious for bad roads filled with potholes.
7]Build quality is exceptional. Everything appears to be properly bolted and held together.
8] Plastic quality is one generation ahead of the present day [esp.maruti ]cars.
9] Brake bite early and bite is firm and good too.There is no panic or drama in sudden braking maneuvers. The car stops in time and within expected distance.
10] Contrary to what is posted in popular online forums, I find the ride supple and pliant. It’s not at all bouncy, or wallowy. Its firmly planted ride with muted suspension noise.TATA has not compromised the ride quality in exchange for high G.C.
11] Eight speaker HARMANN music system is awesome. I do not find any need to upgrade in this area. The sound is clear and crispy with adequate bass. There is no vibration or buzzing from the sound system.
12] During vacuum cleaning I noticed that TATA has nowhere tried to do cost cutting,be it the carpeting or the plastics.Every thing in the interior looks from 2 segments above,it's that good.
13] The fuel average I am getting currently is 14 to 16 km/lt. I am alright with it.
I am happy.Iam falling in love with this car each day.Its growing up on me!!
Your's is the first ownership detailed review, on the digital format, very nicely explained,
My wish list of improvements.
1] Stepney should be an alloy in xz+.
3] Accessories should not be forced down owner’s throat. I should be free to choose what I want.Despie of stiff resistance I was forced to purchase the el-cheapo perfumes, mats and covers etc as official accesories for exorbitant price.
4] Tata should provide more colour options for the car.
5] Whenever I accelerate, the engine note is very audible inside the car despite of all the insulation. Only when the music is off, I do get to hear it.I don't dislike it ,but I did not expect it either. This engine note of acceleration is present on all modes and is max in sports mode.I am getting used to it.Maybe it will decrease with time.
Enough of talk.Now some pics.
I think I saw your car the other day on the Chakeri road. 17k for accessories is very steep, how much did you pay for the entire deal?

On the day of delivery
View attachment 234406

View attachment 234407

View attachment 234408

yours truly
View attachment 234410

View attachment 234411

View attachment 234412

View attachment 234413

View attachment 234414

View attachment 234415

View attachment 234416

View attachment 234417

View attachment 234418

View attachment 234419

View attachment 234420

View attachment 234421

View attachment 234422
Regards
Vinod

Last edited:

Congratulations on your new ride [clap]. Enjoy, happy & safe miles [:D]. This car definitely is an eye candy.

Thread Starter #5

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

Seems very serious problem. How is the clutch? Heavy or light?
Clutch is very light.Seems like a petrol car rather than a diesel.Gear slotting appears to be a problem with me only,as my wife doesn't face this issue.
Congratulations on your new ride [clap]. Enjoy, happy & safe miles [:D]. This car definitely is an eye candy.
Thanks krishna6239,and Nanofreak.

Congrats Mayank. Nexon's looks grows over time I feel. I love the blue color. Even more in the dual tone shade. From your review it felt like you like TUV most. So what was the reason you rejected TUV over Nexon.

@mayankdixit Congrats on switching over to TATA. Hope you have a wonderful Nexon experience. About the 1st and 2nd gear shift problem, you should set it right ASAP by contacting TATA ASS. It will mar your driving pleasure in city and could be dangerous if you aren't able to slot the lower gears at critical juncture.

Hello Mayank,

Congratulations, Welcome to the Tata Family, the TASS has improved a lot in the past couple of years.

Would you mind sharing the pricing of the vehicle?

Regards,
Kinshuk

Thread Starter #9

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

Thanks AbhisekVerma and carcommentor.
It will mar your driving pleasure in city and could be dangerous if you aren't able to slot the lower gears at critical juncture.
Yes, I do feel nervous,when lot of traffic is behind me and honking.People must be thinking I am a newbie or a fool.I will look into it.
From your review it felt like you like TUV most. So what was the reason you rejected TUV over Nexon.
Yes I loved TUV the most.Being already a mahindra owner,I know that they listen to their customers the most.The TUV had everything going for it,(looks,presence ,drivability,small car like footprint etc)except one thing,a design/ engineering flaw.I did not want to mention this in my review,but since you have asked it directly,here it goes.
When water is poured over its windshield,it goes on to the plastic below the wipers and drains near the tyres,via pipes which can be seen on opening the bonnet.There is no rain gutter in the TUV,maybe to save some space for the engine.Problem is, when water fills up on the plastic,it overflows on to the engine directly via wiper protrusions.!!Imagine, cold water on hot engine and alternator. I have witnessed this and made a video of this in my home on a brand new TUV t8 .And this is only when I pour it from mug.What will happen when its raining heavily??or when the car is washed.??Firstly I saw this problem,on checking it in my home after a test drive in 2016.Ditto in 2017.And again ditto in the new T10!!
There was a lot of email and whatsapp video(taken by me)traffic between me and Mahindra,when I discovered this problem exists in the new TUV too.Mahindra engineers and sales managers from lucknow as well as kanpur contacted me many times BUT have yet to call me on the solution .They checked all the Tuvs in their possession,and all had the same issue.
Weird thing is:Nobody is talking about this issue in any online forums.Nobody mentioned this in their official,or ownership reviews!!Its like I am the only complainant??.For me this issue was serious and so with a heavy heart I rejected TUV.
Nexon is a better engineered car in comparison to this .

Last edited:

Hi Mayank, congratulations on the new nexon. Hope you have fullfilling millions of miles with this new car.
I am actually happy since people from maruti stable generally dont look outside of maruti. Now since you have been associated with good maruti cars and now you have nexon, how do you compare between the two?
In my case, I graduated from wagonR to Storme. And after that when i sat in wagonR again, i felt wagonR was too flimsy and like a toy. Similar experiencewas for my friend who graduated from WagonR to Aria.

Most importantly has your son found a new buddy in Nexon?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thanks for sharing the Owner's Review of Nexon on TAI buddy. Congrats for the new car. Is your car the Petrol one or the Diesel? The Blue color in real gets a lot of attention[:)]

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #12

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

Dear Akash1886,thanks for the wishes. its xz+ diesel.
Thanks vikyjoshi,you are correct in observing that many people are moving away from maruti.Their cars are unsafe and service is getting costlier and costlier.Service centres are saturated with cars .They simply have too much on their plate right now,to cater to each customer individually.
has your son found a new buddy in Nexon?
Not yet but he is liking the car very much.Blue colour was actually his choice.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I am actually happy since people from maruti stable generally dont look outside of maruti. Now since you have been associated with good maruti cars and now you have nexon, how do you compare between the two?
In my case, I graduated from wagonR to Storme. And after that when i sat in wagonR again, i felt wagonR was too flimsy and like a toy. Similar experiencewas for my friend who graduated from WagonR to Aria.
Thanks vikyjoshi,you are correct in observing that many people are moving away from maruti.Their cars are unsafe and service is getting costlier and costlier.Service centres are saturated with cars .They simply have too much on their plate right now,to cater to each customer individually.
Actually, there comes a time in every brand's life-cycle where the buyer base begins to gradually realize the merits and de-merits of the products offered by it. To dethrone a established brand or to enter the buyer base of a popular brand with help of good products (aesthetically, technically & mechanically) and equally accepting buyers definitely is a great feat. Also, the competitive pricing plays a important role here. It does not happen overnight but yes good products do catch the attention of buyers and gradually one by one the buyer base increases. So, moving from MSIL to TATA is according to me a gradual shift which might not seem too dangerous as of now but surely will be a cause of concern in times to come.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom