Tata Nexon EV vs Nexon Petrol vs Nexon CNG: Cost Comparison

Thread Starter #1
Electric Vehicles are Buzz now days, However is it really worth ? Specially when put in comparison with its Petrol or CNG counter Parts ? If you are confused about as to which one should you buy, this thread may help you to an extent. Please note the views expressed are as per my understanding and taking into consideration current scenarios.

Overview of Thread : In this i have compared 3 different models of NEXON running on different fuel systems to finally assess if EV is worth. Main purpose is to Find alternative to PETROL NEXON. The report is also made from same point of view.

Basis Of calculations :
1. I have used basic costing principle of BREAK EVEN POINT (BEP) to determine which fuel system will be most efficient. Break even simply means a point of time at which TOTAL COSTS under different Model will be same. However at any point BEFORE BEP the model with HIGH VARIABLE COST is beneficial or at any point AFTER BEP the model with LOW VARIABALE COST is beneficial. As we are using a vehicle our BEP will be in terms of KMs of vehicle.
2. Current Market prices are taken on Approximate basis
3. Only most certain costs are covered for calculation i.e PURCHASE PRICE and FUEL PRICES
4. Possible assumption used in methodology are made in the report by title POINTS TO NOTE
5. Although CNG does not come factory fitted based on few youtube reviews i have added the same in initial cost of NEXON petrol to get NEXON Cng cost

Analysis:
At this point i assume you have gone through report and understood majority of it.

1. Nexon EV vs Nexon Petrol
-The BEP point between EV and Petrol is 14952 KMs in this case if Your,
-Running is more than 14952 KMs per year then EV appears to be better option.
-Running is upto 14952 KMs per year then PETROL appears to be better option.

(i) At very Low Running of 1275 KMs per year (Not Practical) you save upto 85,755.75 per year by choosing Petrol
(ii) At Low Running of 5000 KMs per year you save upto 62,400 per year by choosing Petrol
(iii) At Moderate Running of 12000 KMs per year you save upto 18,510 per year by choosing Petrol
(iv) At High Running of 14952 KMs per year you will be INDIFFERENT in choosing any option as the cost is same
(v) At Very High Running of 20000 KMs per year you save upto 31,650 per year by choosing EV
(vi) At Extreme Running of 24000 KMs per year you save upto 56,730 per year by choosing EV

2. Nexon Petrol vs Nexon CNG
-The BEP point between EV and Petrol is 1275 KMs (Yes this is correct and not mistake) in this case if Your, (This 1275 KMs appears to be absurd but yes i wanted to take in calculation)
-Running is more than 1275 KMs per year then CNG appears to be better option.
-Running is upto 1275 KMs per year then PETROL appears to be better option.

(i) At Low Running of 1275 KMs per year you will be INDIFFERENT in choosing any option as the cost is same
(ii) At Low Running of 5000 KMs per year you save upto 21,509.56 per year by choosing CNG
(iii) At Moderate Running of 12000 KMs per year you save upto 63,073.33 per year by choosing CNG
(iv) At High Running of 14952 KMs per year you save upto 84,434.37 per year by choosing CNG
(v) At Very High Running of 20000 KMs per year you save upto 1,10,122.22 per year by choosing CNG
(vi) At Extreme Running of 24000 KMs per year you save upto 1,33,646 per year by choosing CNG

Conclusion:
At this point as per the calculations i believe that the PRICING of NEXON EV is way too high (However best VFM against any other EVs in this segment) which eats up the benefit of buying an EV over PETROL or CNG. This does not mean i am against EVs in fact i believe EVs are the future. The only point i am making here is those buying EVs blindly without looking at their RUNNING REQUIREMENTS (KMs) should definitely consider the huge price gap.

Attached here is the Image of the report. I will be happy to know others views.

NEXON COST COMPARISON.jpg

Attachments

An interesting thread, but the BEP exercise you have described tells only part of the story and is of good academic interest. In the real world of day-to-day driving, uncertain follow-up of maintenance schedules, not to speak of personal driving habits - the comparison becomes more diffuse and uncertain. The principal drawback of the e-car - its range per charge - seems to have been overcome to a large extent, provided one restricts one's driving to inner-city limits.

One of the things that stands out is the mechanical characteristic of the three types of vehicles. The petrol/CNG (and diesel too if one could stretch a bit !) are mechanically near-identical while the diesel has differences in fuel delivery and injection systems apart from structural re-enforcement. The E-Nexon on the other hand is a different creature. Because of its completely different prime-mover and drive train, it has a distinct advantage over the other types. It has - comparatively - negligible moving parts in the prime-mover/drive-train areas and this drastically reduces the wear & tear, life-cycle and routine maintenance & repair of the dynamic components. And added to this is the negligible noise pollution to the outside world & the NVH levels inside.

For me (as a mechanical engineer) these are the most attractive and, dare I say it, endearing aspect of E-cars. Not to mention the 8-year warranty that the Li-ion battery pack carries in the new E-vehicles. One must remember of course that a replacement battery pack (when it is due) will cost a hefty sum - which is not revealed as of now!

And finally the satisfaction of knowing that you (at a personal level at least) are leaving behind a negligible carbon footprint. For me certainly, all this tilts the balance in favour of the e-car for the future

Thread Starter #3
An interesting thread, but the BEP exercise you have described tells only part of the story and is of good academic interest. In the real world of day-to-day driving, uncertain follow-up of maintenance schedules, not to speak of personal driving habits - the comparison becomes more diffuse and uncertain. The principal drawback of the e-car - its range per charge - seems to have been overcome to a large extent, provided one restricts one's driving to inner-city limits.

One of the things that stands out is the mechanical characteristic of the three types of vehicles. The petrol/CNG (and diesel too if one could stretch a bit !) are mechanically near-identical while the diesel has differences in fuel delivery and injection systems apart from structural re-enforcement. The E-Nexon on the other hand is a different creature. Because of its completely different prime-mover and drive train, it has a distinct advantage over the other types. It has - comparatively - negligible moving parts in the prime-mover/drive-train areas and this drastically reduces the wear & tear, life-cycle and routine maintenance & repair of the dynamic components. And added to this is the negligible noise pollution to the outside world & the NVH levels inside.

For me (as a mechanical engineer) these are the most attractive and, dare I say it, endearing aspect of E-cars. Not to mention the 8-year warranty that the Li-ion battery pack carries in the new E-vehicles. One must remember of course that a replacement battery pack (when it is due) will cost a hefty sum - which is not revealed as of now!

And finally the satisfaction of knowing that you (at a personal level at least) are leaving behind a negligible carbon footprint. For me certainly, all this tilts the balance in favour of the e-car for the future
I know it is part of the story and in fact that is why i have specifically mentioned that i have considered only PURCHASE cost. About maintenance, man It is horrific story every time we better not discuss that. Being finance guy I am used to doing such cost analysis and this was a result.This shall not in anyway mean that i am discouraging E Vehicle purchases.

I also believe that Electric is the future. I agree with all the points you have mentioned regarding E Nexon in fact forget everything that INSTANT TORQUE in EV is something that bring smile on peoples' face. However as of now it looks like the EVs are outside reach of mass market thankfully TATA is making an effort to bring it in.

Tata has certainly made a great effort, not only in presenting a viable alternative like the Nexon EV, but also in quoting a reasonable price. You said it, that instant torque is certainly something to be relished at leisure![cheers]

Top Bottom