Tata Nano GenX Automatic: Test Drive

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Today I got a chance to Test Drive the recently launched face-lift TATA Nano with 5-Speed AMT gearbox. This is the first time I have driven a Nano and for the first time itself, a Nano with an AMT has been launched at a starting price of Rs. 1.99 Lakhs for the Indian Market. For extensive discussion and exclusive pictures of GenX Tata Nano please refer to this link.

20150527_115853.jpg

External Design

The GenX Nano AMT boasts of a re-designed front profile with new design bumpers, fog lamps, hood with gloss Black plastic stripe and smoked headlamps. Talking about the rear, the GenX Nano get new designed rear bumper with a open-able hatch which was much needed in previous generations of this car. These external changes do provide a refreshing feel to the car and does break the monotony of being a plain jane car.

20150527_120402.jpg

20150527_120315.jpg

Interior Design

The GenX Nano does have well designed interiors in comparison to all its previous generations. The Beige interiors do add a fair amount of elegance to the cabin of the Nano Face-lift. The seat fabric and door pad fabric is decent enough with infinity motif being stitched in the seats. The seat cushioning is also good and both front and rear seats do feel comfortable. In the rear seats, A person like me who is 6 ft can easily sit with good amount of legroom. The hump of the transmission tunnel is not obstructive and 3 slim person can easily sit on rear seats.

20150527_120645.jpg

20150527_122644.jpg

20150527_122359.jpg

20150527_122701.jpg

Ground Clearance

The Ground Clearance of Nano is a big advantage for the driver, passenger and certainly for the roads we have. The Nano AMT has ground clearance of 180mm which is at par/above to some of the C-segment sedans. The advantage of having such good ground is easy ingress and egress and it also does not scrap on the speed breakers. If one plans to buy a Manual Transmission GenX Nano then an additional 10mm ground clearance shall be present in it i.e 190mm.

20150527_120336.jpg

Tyre(s)​

The GenX Nano Face-lift has got the 12" steel rims & wheel caps and the Tyre spec for the new Nano Face-lift is 135/70 R12. The spare wheel in the Nano can be placed in the hood.

20150527_120253.jpg

20150504_145248.jpg

* Continued in next post.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Re: TATA Nano Face-Lift Automatic: Test Drive

The GenX Nano Face-lift has got the 12" steel rims & wheel caps and the Tyre spec for the new Nano Face-lift for front is is 135/70 R12 and rear is 155/65 R12. The spare wheel is of same size as front tyre.

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

What I liked in GenX Nano Face-Lift.

* Refreshing Design

* Most Economically priced AMT

* 4 year Warranty (Upto 60,000 km)

* Bluetooth enabled music system

* Good Ground Clearance.

* Integrated rear roof spoiler.

* Paint Quality is good.

* Cabin looks really decently designed.

* Cornering is quite good.

* Rear suspension seems worked upon as on breakers the jerk is not harsh.

* Separate Boot

* Exhaust tip shifted to left instead of center.

* Sporty Steering wheel

* Infinity design grills in rear and front bumper

* Good storage space.

* Legroom and Headroom are very good.

* Multi-Info-Display provided.

* Horn is sharp

* AC Cooling is really good. Cools the cabin very fast.

* Body Colored ORVM and Door Handles.

* In XTA the radiator is placed in front side which means the coolant flows from front to the rear where the engine has been placed.

* Parcel Tray for Speakers in rear.

20150527_120518.jpg

20150527_122624.jpg

20150527_121049.jpg

20150527_121058.jpg

20150527_122412.jpg

What Should be Improved​

* Average 5-Speed AMT.

* Engine noise is pretty high.

* Cabin Noise is audible.

* AC Fan makes noise on speed of 2.

* Acceleration is below average. It takes considerable effort to accelerate the car and make it move on an incline. It could not move-up on an underpass incline.

* Braking is to be improved even for city purpose. While braking at speed of 40 km/h the car moves a bit to left. Absence of ABS can be felt. Secondly, atleast in top variant the front disk brakes should have been given.

* No Airbags.

* Driving in sports mode increases the engine noise. It takes about 5-7 seconds to engage the sports mode.

* No rear wiper in top model.

20150527_120505.jpg

20150527_120301.jpg

20150527_120732.jpg

20150527_120910.jpg

20150527_120917.jpg

Overall, I believe it is good that TATA has made the move by introducing certain much-needed features in this Nano Face-lift but still there is a lot of scope for them to improve upon the engine and the braking of the car. Even with a 600cc engine this car can perform good provided TATA takes note of the short-comings.

Regards

Akash

Best part of this XTA Nano is the body has got new reinforcement for extra safety.
Although the purpose was not to improve the safety, but since the boot has to be given a external access therefore the body structure from the back has to be more rigid to handle the weight and bang of the boot door. Tata team thought of improving the safety from both side of the car, so they did.

According to me Nano XTA should have been improved in some areas like

- rear disc brake [if possible with optional ABS]
- all tyres to be same [155/70 R12]
- rear power window
- rear wiper

All that could have be sacrifice with
- current audio system
- remote lock security system

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member

- all tyres to be same [155/70 R12]
- rear power window
I agree, the XTA has power window in front and not at back. The top variant as you rightly said should have all four power windows. Secondly, about Tyres too I do agree, in my 1st observation when I clicked the manual transmission face-lift Nano, I found Tyre(s) to be skinny. An upgrade in Tyre spec shall surely improve its overall ride quality too.

Regards

Akash

Good review dear Akash1886!! Thanks for those pics. well appreciated.

The audibility and engine sound you mentioned are the ones is very less when compared to the earlier generation nanos.

Tata has done a good job insulating heavily under rear seat to reduce the NVH.

Have a question to all the members here;
+ Since many here accept that car is for city use, why is ABS needed? Also this car is in the segment where it targets the entry level customers and mainly for tata to take sales from it's competitor Alto, now if ABS is offered the car price would absolutely come into K10's territory and you know people's perception towards MS and Tata.

It's upto the owner to drive safe and know the limitations of this budget car. Also one should know the fact that his own hard earned money shouldn't be wasted just by relying upon these safety features.

I guess technically also it would be difficult to install ABS in this car.

Have a question to all the members here;
+ Since many here accept that car is for city use, why is ABS needed?
+1 to that.

Yes but there seem to be issue where the braking is not inspiring. Probably Tata should take cue from here and have a pair of disc brakes rather than all four drum brakes. That may do the trick.

+1 to that.

Yes but there seem to be issue where the braking is not inspiring. Probably Tata should take cue from here and have a pair of disc brakes rather than all four drum brakes. That may do the trick.
Thanks for adding the above sentence friend, yes Disc brakes are very much needed these days and I agree to this.Don't understand how the government left this vehicle to ply on road as there's a norm to have disc brakes in all passenger cars.

Today took a test drive of the Nano XTA.
The car seemed adequately peppy and swift in the City. I couldn't test on inclines since there were no inclined roads nearby.
Suspension has been worked upon quite well and much better than the original Nano. Engine noise is intrusive only if the revs rise High and especially in the sport mode.
Gear changes were quite noticeable, but not jerky. The EPS of the Nano is terrific for the City. It needs absolutely no effort to twirl and gives the ability to zip and swerve through traffic like a bike.
Coming to the brakes, the drum brakes are sufficient to stop the Nano from 60kmph speed quite rapidly, but the pedal feel is quite wooden. You have to depress the pedal a bit more than that of a disc brakes setup, that's all. But it needs some getting used to.
Overall a very practical and easy to use City car which surprisingly offers good quality, space and performance at a very affordable price point compared to rivals.
I would pick this any day over the Alto.

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Suspension has been worked upon quite well
Engine noise is intrusive only if the revs rise High and especially in the sport mode.
Gear changes were quite noticeable, but not jerky.
The EPS of the Nano is terrific for the City. It needs absolutely no effort to twirl and gives the ability to zip and swerve through traffic like a bike.

Coming to the brakes, the drum brakes are sufficient to stop the Nano from 60kmph speed quite rapidly, but the pedal feel is quite wooden. You have to depress the pedal a bit more than that of a disc brakes setup, that's all. But it needs some getting used to.
I second you on above observations buddy. About Inclines, that is one major concern that bothers. It would take considerable effort to be driven.

Overall a very practical and easy to use City car which surprisingly offers good quality, space and performance at a very affordable price point compared to rivals.
Only performance aspect needs to be looked into and TATA can surely do wonders with a 600cc engine they have in this car.

Regards

Akash

Is GenX Nano AMT suitable for new drivers like me?As I'm gonna turn 18 next year,for learning I found this car suitable for my needs and I'm yet to learn driving the car this year.

Is GenX Nano AMT suitable for new drivers like me?As I'm gonna turn 18 next year,for learning I found this car suitable for my needs and I'm yet to learn driving the car this year.
Well would suggest you go for MT and not AMT. since you have not had any prev experience driving a car, MT would be good. So you know when and how to change gears without getting flustered. Once you are used to changing gears, AT can be learnt in a jiffy.

The car is good, cute, and with all necessary bells at a mouth watering price. Can be best bet for you to go to college, take your gf out for spin.

Hi everyone finally got the Nano XTA delivered[clap]. Mine is the 4th XTA to be delivered in my city. It costed me 3.82 lak on road with all accessories and 3year/30,000km AMC. I have swapped the JK tyres with bridgestome B250 tyres and they have made a world of difference in steering feel and road noise. The braking too is much better as these tyres are gripping the tarmac much better, the JK's were skittish in comparison . Tyre swap costed me 4600rs and they are worth every penny.For people who are wondering if this car can climb steep inclines i would say do not worry, it can easily climb them. The trick is to shift to manual mode when doing that. That way the transmission will not shift into a higher gear in between and the car will not bog down.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom