Tata Nano – Can we Call it a Hatchback?

Thread Starter #1
I heard it is a 4 seat hatchback .those who have seen it physically would know that it does not have a hatch door.

So what is it ?

Re: What is Tata Nano?

an auto engine on 4 wheels :tongue:

because its engine is at the boot, so the absence of the hatch door.

Ratan tata's dream has gone woefully in the wrong direction as Nano has failed to live upto its expectation. Even in SriLanka where it is selling in good number, it is being sold mostly as a cab or car hire vehicle. Ratan Tata is seemingly upset with Nano's marketing team as they have failed to project the car in a proper fashion. Right from the begining in their ads too they had tried to target the lower middle class person who travels with his wife & kid in 1 scooter. So in effect what happened was that the middle class totally ignored this product (however competent it may be) becasue they thoguht that this is for the next door neighboor who rides a scooter with his family. They stuck to buying altos....this is the sad story of tata nano

so does it make a scooter on 4 wheels?
Cmon jayadev, I'm sure theres at least 1 owner of the Nano here in TAI...lets not hurt his feelings [;)]
The Nano project was jinxed from the begining. Our CM drove it out from WB then the customers drove out of showrroms in other cars....[surprise]

Jazzy,

It seems you have not understood Jayadev's post.

His first post asks what is Tata Nano?

Points mentioned by you are relevant but that is discussed in various other threads.

Also, Nano is not performing too bad now a days. It is recording fair quantity of sales consistantly for last few months.

Thread Starter #7

Cmon jayadev, I'm sure theres at least 1 owner of the Nano here in TAI...lets not hurt his feelings
I feel worried when people connect vehicle to their ego. why should anybody get hurt ?

I Got a scooter and I love it as much as my Punto.

BTW I like Nano to a great extent.

I believe future is going to be Nano like cars on road.generation ahead of us will prefer smaller cars for sure.
When I was a child it was all sedan within 20 years it is all Hatchback if the same trend continues it is definitely going to be smaller car.

Lot of manufactures are coming up with minute cars of nano kind just waiting for a break.

Last edited:

Autosafari,
I understood what he meant but thought some facts might add some value to the thread. If Nano is doing well, good for Nano. Straight answer to the thread would be it is a rear engined affordable car for the masses. That would have been one hell of a boring reply...i guess my sense of humour wasn't visible as vividly as i intended

And Jayadev,
Yes ppl do & continue to connect to their cars in an ego-istical way if I may say so, because it is close to their hearts.
Future is all about downsizing, just look at the new jetta which will come soon with a 1.4TSI engine....yes jetta with a 1.4 engine!

What is Nano,it is:

1. A cute little city car.

2. People's car.

3. Epitomy of frugal innovative engineering.

4. Small wonder.

5. Frution of dream of some Mr. Ratan Tata.

6. India's reply to VW Beetle.

7. A higly fuel efficient and practical car at second hand car prices.

8. AND ABOVE ALL IT IS INDIA'S PRIDE:biggrin:.

What does one expect in replies.
Its built to be a family mower from point A to Point B For an average person who cannot afford the luxury of a four wheeler vehicle.
Hence initially it was priced low but with taxation on the car the on road price tends to be marginally lower than say an alto.

Too bad,
I see very un-enthusiastic and unprofessional replies.
Are we in an automotive forum?
Surely we are,

Give some discounts for Friday evening. Most are tired after 5 days of hard work.

I think it is better to leave Nano in the "Nano car" segment than calling it a hatch/notch/sedan/UVs type.

This itself is becoming a popular category of commuter vehicle. there are other brands also, which makes such small cars. We will see "Smart" coming to India soon.

It has to be a different segment altogether. "The NANO" segment.

350Z

Core Team

I heard it is a 4 seat hatchback .those who have seen it physically would know that it does not have a hatch door.

So what is it ?
Just because it does not have an opening tailgate for an obvious reason. Can it be disqualified as a hatchback? I don’t think so.

Too bad,
I see very un-enthusiastic and unprofessional replies.
Are we in an automotive forum?
You did not title the thread properly, thus the mixed replies. (Now changed from “What is Tata Nano” To “Tata Nano – Can we Call it a Hatchback?”)

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom