Tata Motors Launches All New 1.2 Liter Revotron Petrol Engine

REVOTRON SERIES ENGINES:

1st Revotron 1.2T - 85BHP, 14.3kgm torque(8valves, SOHC)

2nd Revotron 1.2T - 100bhp or 115bhp, 17,6kgm torque(16valves, DOHC)

3rd Revotron 1.0T - 75bhp or 85bhp, 14.3kgm torque(16valves, DOHC)

4th Revotron 1.4T - 105BHP, 17.3kgm torque(8valves, SOHC)

5th Revotron 1.4T - 140BHP, 20.3kgm torque (16valves, DOHC)

These are pack of 5 engines from REVOTRON Series [clap]

REVOTRON SERIES ENGINES:

Are you sure about this information.

Did you confirm the source?

REVOTRON SERIES ENGINES:

It is nice. But please source of information?

REVOTRON SERIES ENGINES:

Most probably our colleague has tired to unfold the mystery of the REVTRON series. But in all probability this may be true except the 3rd one. It should be the 1050 3 cylinder engine. It may be a 3 cyl 800 cc engine in the sub 1 liter line up too.

But TATA intends to spread its netwok across the globe and here TATA should develop a line of higher capacity petrol engines too as most of the countries run on the petrol engines. Is suggest TATA should have a look at these too.

TATA has a 2.0 L engine on the Safari which had 140 BHP on tap. It was based on the 1998 CC diesel engine block.It was a nice specked engine but was highly unrefined. I saw it in a Safari used by the Home Minister of AP. Engine was crude but less clattering than the Diesel, but was terrible thirsty.

TATA should revolutionize this engine and turbocharge on the lines of REVOTRON and add 140, 160 and 200 BHP variants. Also a 2.5 liter should also cater to > 180 BHP variants to cater to the SUV lineup.

Last edited:
Are you sure about this information.

Did you confirm the source?
all above engines are not conformed by any source yet now.

But generally we all know that REVOTRON-Series engines are nothing but Upgraded and redesigned versions of TATA's Existing petrol engine from (XETA- Series-of INDICA-INDIGO-INDIGO XL family).

Most probably our colleague has tired to unfold the mystery of the REVTRON series. But in all probability this may be true except the 3rd one. It should be the 1050 3 cylinder engine. It may be a 3 cyl 800 cc engine in the sub 1 liter line up too.

But TATA intends to spread its netwok across the globe and here TATA should develop a line of higher capacity petrol engines too as most of the countries run on the petrol engines. Is suggest TATA should have a look at these too.

TATA has a 2.0 L engine on the Safari which had 140 BHP on tap. It was based on the 1998 CC diesel engine block.It was a nice specked engine but was highly unrefined. I saw it in a Safari used by the Home Minister of AP. Engine was crude but less clattering than the Diesel, but was terrible thirsty.

TATA should revolutionize this engine and turbocharge on the lines of REVOTRON and add 140, 160 and 200 BHP variants. Also a 2.5 liter should also cater to > 180 BHP variants to cater to the SUV lineup
1050cc 3cylinder engine is not petrol one its dicor based diesel motor derived from 1.4L dicor engine.

REVOTRON 1.0T engine will be a 3cylinder version of TATA NANO's 623cc 2cylinder MPFI engine i think.

Last edited:
the proof of the pudding is going to be in the eating!
Revotron sound good,but the game seems to have moved on with respect to the competition! Unless it has outstanding mileage i feel this will be only a minor selling point in the long run!

I find the figures lacklustre for a new generation of engines from such a reputed manufacturer.

To those who are saying that India is a country which is more bothered about fuel efficiency and not outright power -

Then why did Tata make a 1.2 litre engine? Why not 85PS from a 0.8 or 1.0 engine? That would have been more efficient and cheaper, no?

I find the figures lacklustre for a new generation of engines from such a reputed manufacturer.

To those who are saying that India is a country which is more bothered about fuel efficiency and not outright power -

Then why did Tata make a 1.2 litre engine? Why not 85PS from a 0.8 or 1.0 engine? That would have been more efficient and cheaper, no?
TATA's only requirement was a quick sub 1.2 liter engine. And it was a naturally aspirated without and Fuel injection or turbo charger to keep the costs mininum. Secondly it need to pull a car as heavy as 1.1 tonne compared to Marutis around 800kg vehicles.

Hence this decision.

TATA's only requirement was a quick sub 1.2 liter engine. And it was a naturally aspirated without and Fuel injection or turbo charger to keep the costs mininum. Secondly it need to pull a car as heavy as 1.1 tonne compared to Marutis around 800kg vehicles.

Hence this decision.
I quite did not understand what you meant here. The 1.2 Revotron engine is a turbocharged engine, right?

So, what I meant is - either make a powerful turbo 1.2 or make a economical turbo 0.8!

Ford did both with the Ecoboost engine - economical 1.0 engine with loads of power.

Economical 0.8 turbo petrol will be unveiled soon. Watch out for the news.

1.2 is the engine TATA has ready in hand and is easier to work on. Secondly TATA MOTORS does not have any SPORTS car to handle high power. Turbo 1.2 100 bhp will be unveiled soon for next gen vehicles. Secondly the current TA65 gearbox cannot handle high torque.

Last edited:

devloping all new 800cc and 1000cc engines means thats heavy investment for TATA motors thats the main reason they came with 1200cc XETA engine with turbo charger its cost effective in devlopment TATA just improved XETA engine refinement levels with New Aluminium HEAD GASKET.

At present stage TATA desperately needs 85bhp 1200cc fuel efficient engine for sub Compact cars thats the main reason they came with turbocharged version of existing XETA engines for them its cheapest way to increase the power and torque of existing engine [clap]

I quite did not understand what you meant here. The 1.2 Revotron engine is a turbocharged engine, right?

So, what I meant is - either make a powerful turbo 1.2 or make a economical turbo 0.8!

Ford did both with the Ecoboost engine - economical 1.0 engine with loads of power.
Bro don't get upset , this is just one of the 5 engines they unveiled read this ->

Dr Tim Leverton, President and Head, Engineering Research Centre, mentioned how there were about five engines in totality that the Revotron family will cover, from small capacity engines to larger capacity engines for various different purposes. He also mentioned that these engines will power Tata’s current and future range of compact hatchbacks, compact saloons and midsize sedans in the next few years.
Tata Motors has joined the small capacity turbocharged petrol engine bandwagon and has launched the new 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine under the Revotron family of engines. This new engine family will offer a variety of engines in the coming months from a sub 1-litre engine to a speculative bigger sub 2.0-litre engine. The latter might also be used for export applications.

The 1.2-litre engine that produces 85PS of power and 140Nm of peak torque will be the first production ready engine that will be offered by Tata Motors. The first family of cars that will receive this engine will be the soon to be launched Tata Manza CS and the Tata Vista facelift.
Tata Manza CS and Vista facelift to get new 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine| ZigWheels.com

Last edited:
That is what I am saying -

85 PS is too low for a 1.2 turbo engine. Consider this friends:

Ecosport 1.0 turbo makes 125 PS.
Polo 1.2 turbo makes 105 PS.
Even the naturally aspirated Jazz 1.2 makes 90 PS.

If they were to retain the same 1.2 engine and give it a turbo, they could have extracted a lot more power from it and make it an awesome engine. If they are thinking economically, then as Raja said, they are anyways making a series of engines and they could have made a 0.8 engine with turbo and 85PS. That would have been more economical.

This current engine is neither very economical nor very powerful, when compared to the competition.

Raja - Irrespective of the future offerings, what I am trying to say it, the current engine's power does not match the displacement, especially when we consider its a turbo engine. So, either the outdated XETA engine is not capable of producing such power or the engineers at TATA are doing something wrong. Either ways, this engine is not something I would be excited about.

Top Bottom