Tata Motor’s Cars – The Ultimate Reliability Survey

How Much Satisfied You Are with Your Tata Car?

• Total voters
Re: Tata Motor’s Cars – The Ultimate Reliability Survey

you can consider a nissan sunny/Reanult scala too.
Nope, he doesn't need an advise on the brand but on the fuel & engine options available and suitable for him.

Very true. The only car I could think of is Honda city. And that is petrol..
good to see him on the right path.

No worry sir, I have seen Manzas which have run for 90K and going strong.
+100, one need to know how to handle. See how a diesel mill was a wrong choice for him. I hope his bellow quoted posts are enough to explain that the timing chain and the noise problem was not TATA 'fault.

@ highway ranger, please describe your driving style,.
I started off driving Manza in a sedate way, but now I am back to my old style of driving which is quiet aggressive (not rash).

I normally skip gears, like 1, 3, 5 or 2, 4, 5 depending upon the traffic conditions and speed. (That is purely my style of driving and I would not recommend it.
@ Tornado.
As I mentioned, that is purely my driving style. And I do not intend to change it. I don't drive for FE and am quite happy with the way I drive and the FE that I get.

I mentioned this since you asked me about my driving style. I don't intend to get into any discussion on my style of driving. [:)] And I have not recommended it to anybody.

1) car model and variant
2) date of purchase
3) Kms travelled
4) build quality
5) coustomer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent)
6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent)
7) warranty issues
8) if the car has been vfm
9) issues and niggles faced so far
10) satisfaction levels (-/10)
1) Tata Manza VX (Diesel with ABS, no airbag version for fellow TAIgers who might not be conversant with Tata Naming Conventions)
2) 25-Jan-14
3) 18,500
4) Better than expected
5) Excellent (Better than Maruti since I own Alto as second car in garrage)
6) Same as point no. 5
7) Don't know, didn't have to invoke any
8) Excellent VFM
9) By God's grace, none
10) 10 on 10

Wow, a highly reputed company Tata Motors by Neilson!!!

I feel there is lot of bad-mouthing of Tata Motors vehicles even by non-auto heads and the first time car buyers. It is all pure ignorance and just "one sheep following the herd of other sheeps" mentality!!!

I agree that earlier tata products like Indica, Indigo CS had a little poor plastics becoz of cost cutting which Tata was following to make all the Indians purchase cars and now Honda is following it! I don't understand what if the Taxi fleet uses their cars. If you like the car, go for it and drive it proudly. Why have all the false prestige like uneducated fellows and the real estate buffs. They always think that the more you pay the quality the car is and you get that much respect!!! How fare is this idea? A person is judged by the education and by the culture and way he speaks AND NOT BY THE CAR HE DRIVES!!!

I do not as many troubles as usually speak about Tata cars!!! I had some minor glitches with my Tata car, but still it is a tough car. If maintained as told by Tata it gives the said performance. This is atleast my experiences with Tatas for the past 5 years.

1) TATA Indica V2 DLG Turbo
2) May 2006
3) 67000 kms
4) Build quality: Body - Solid, Plastics - Average
5) Customer service experience - Good
6) A.S.S Experience - Good
7) Warranty Issues - None
8) If the car has been vfm - highly VFM
9) Issues and Niggles faced so far - had few with power windows, plastic center console (very minor), and rear door hatches replaced.
10) satisfaction levels (out of 10) : 9

I will for sure upgrade to another TATA SUV shortly.

Here is my take of my Vista,

1) car model and variant - Tata Indica Vista Aura ABS QJT DT4 - Refresh 1
2) date of purchase - May 2011
3) Kms travelled - 15000 Kms
4) build quality - Good to Very Good so far
5) Customer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) - Good - in fact I cannot rate as I have not raised any issue with Tata customer service except during purchasing time (raised concerns with them due to delay in delivery of vehicle by dealer)
6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) - OK - Twin wheels/Miles Motors vadodara
7) warranty issues - None
8) if the car has been vfm - Absolutely
9) issues and niggles faced so far - clock on board showing wrong display (running late by 10 minutes, non illumination of cabin light while opening left side rear door
10) satisfaction levels (-/10) - 9 - very good product from Tata Motors. [:D]

I have TATA Indica Turbo DLG here my Experience

1) car model and variant:TATA Indica Turbo DLG

2) date of purchase :2007

3) Kms travelled :113500KMS(2007 - 2012) and 11550KMS from 2012 to still now(after engine rebuild)

4) build quality : Excellent but worst in some parts like rubber beadings and rear parcel tray

5) coustomer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent):worst

6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent):worst

7) warranty issues:all problems started after my warranty period

8) if the car has been vfm : 100% truely value for money

9) issues and niggles faced so far:turbo failure, Oil leakages from Air breather, once engine over heated due to radiator fan failure and radiator fan noise is more then other cars.

10) satisfaction levels (-/10): 7/10

Over all i feel that tata cars are great in reliability and refinement but the only biggest problem we face that we dont get good mechanic to maintain these cars if we get genuine mechanic then we are happy with these cars without any tensions because most of the mechanics are miss guide us when we take our cars for repair this is happen to me 2years back my indica suddenly stopped in middle of road so we when to near work shop the mechanic said that turbo charger failed because of engine oil entering into turbo champer at that time we are in hurry we blindly trusted him he replaced turbo unit charged around 14k when we driven back to our place our car started giving same problem we when to back to work shop he checked and said that engine is backpumping so engine need to rebuild so we dont have other option we need our car in running conditon on my sisters marriage we repaired whole engine with all new parts like pistons rings valves etc... its cost around 30k

then car running smoothly but after completed 800KMS we observed that again the engine oil is leaking from turbo section and intercooler section then we went back to work shop to check it up about this problem the mechanic said that need to worry we are looking in a tence manner so i came doubt and started clearly observed what they are doing when they finally observed that oil breather is damaged thats why engine oil entering to turbo chamber and leaking from intercooler he just replaced the oil breather with new one then after till now we didnt got any problem but finally its clear that the mechanic was cheated us by providing wrong information problem was small but he did major repair to gain his benefits:mad:

this is my bad experience with my car [cry] but still i love my indica [drive]

then car running smoothly but after completed 800KMS we observed that again the engine oil is leaking from turbo section and intercooler section then we went back to work shop to check it up about this problem the mechanic said that need to worry we are looking in a tence manner so i came doubt and started clearly observed what they are doing when they finally observed that oil breather is damaged thats why engine oil entering to turbo chamber and leaking from intercooler he just replaced the oil breather with new one then after till now we didnt got any problem but finally its clear that the mechanic was cheated us by providing wrong information problem was small but he did major repair to gain his benefits

this is my bad experience with my car but still i love my indica

Well said Bro,

even When I had Black Indica, I too faced problem with my Mechanic. He asked us to change the parts one by one. later realized, he was doing R & D with my car. Later I changed the mechanic, the car ran till 1,50,000kms without any issue.

Getting good Mechanic is difficult now a days and the bad mechanics earning by changing unwanted parts and this makes people to think bad about TATA cars[frustration]

Viewer's Discretion Advised, some gory pictures :-

I was intending to post this as an ownership thread, but I don't think ill be able to do justice to it regularly as this is not my regular ride. So this is my little tribute to a 15 year old Tata warrior - this is as reliable as it could get when it comes to a TATA - in my books the most reliable TATA ever!

Background :- 15 years of Duty done in abusive terrain and includes many cross country runs too(in the very distant past).

Key Points to note :-

• Never ever left us stranded even when painfully abused in bad roads
  • Maintenance cost next to ziltch , mostly DIY maintenance with timing belt changed on time
  • Still starts in a single crank every single time - most reliable basic DI engine i have had the maximum experience of ! Its a toyota made by Tata literally - at one point of time one of the highest selling Tata breeds!
  • Over 3.5 Lakhs kms(a safe estimate though speedo has been changed several times and it has been running without speedo for long as well) done without any overhaul whatsoever.
  • Has a 0 accident history ( I wouldn't count bull horn hits, tree falling and other odd mishaps in a farm as accidents )
  • Everything is nearly original!

Some pictures as below :-

Its parked in the open place which has one of the highest rain fall in MH.

View attachment 99175

Ageing rusting, but still serving - A worthy die hard soldier.
The rust is nothing compared to the age of the sumo warrior!

View attachment 99176

Hole in the bonnet which pours rain on the air filter - caused by something that hit it from the sky!

View attachment 99177

View attachment 99178

Has had no dents/touchup jobs whatsoever, all original panels!

View attachment 99179

Spartan interiors!

View attachment 99180

Some flora growing in the interiors as well - am sure a few organisms/rodents have made it its home

View attachment 99181

Seats are still so hard , you might wonder which cushion Tata used then [:D]

View attachment 99182

Just a 9k run Sumo :tongue:

View attachment 99183

View attachment 99184

Bald tyres which make you feel as if you are rallying at 40kmph!

View attachment 99185

To me this is the epitome of Tata reliability - in my books nothing beats this! Old Basic, Spartan but trust worthy war hardened soldier! My little salute and tribute! I probably will never ever sell this!

Current state is engine works in great condition, suspension makes noises but all is well, tires are way beyond their life span.

This weekend replaced the fan belt as it got ripped off and lost somewhere and we realized it because the brakes were far too hard and nearly not working (its fun to drive a brake less vehicle in rural roads! ) - I fitted the fan belt and now everything works including the water pump and alternator - its back for the soldier drill! Current running is limited to rural areas only, hence not much running about 8-10k annually!
A chapter ended this weekend - with a very heavy heart we parted with our workhorse, our battle bruised warrior - sumo! Yes its sold. While its always sad to part with a vehicle - i always believe if you cant do justice to it - you better part with it. The legend was replaced by the Bolero some time back for active duty and there was no point to let it rust in piece - that wouldn't be a sight i could manage. So this weekend it was sold off locally, if there is some consolation, ill be able to see it on and off.

For a Tata this is as reliable as it comes, 16 years of service without a single breakdown, probably done over 3 lakh kms (odo been replaced several times and half the times it didnt work, so no clear tracking, just a conservative estimate) - it never let us down, never ever! It was never the best maintained vehicle, but it didnt complain didnt flinch - did it duties faithfully and served its master for around 16 years.

Yes it will remain my pride!

IMG_20140413_170612.jpg

Thank you to the Legend! I will continue to see you, on this side or the other!

Legend.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Gaddambhargavareddy,
I have a 5yr old Vista TDI. I also had oil in the inter-cooler and was told that this was oil leaking from the turbo and the turbo had to be changed.Providence that i did not and found your post on the oil breather.
Please could you advice regarding the cost and any other details you can about the oil breather.I am not sure where to locate it-have to do that and then get back to the myTVS guys :-(

Dear Gaddambhargavareddy,
I have a 5yr old Vista TDI. I also had oil in the inter-cooler and was told that this was oil leaking from the turbo and the turbo had to be changed.Providence that i did not and found your post on the oil breather.
Please could you advice regarding the cost and any other details you can about the oil breather.I am not sure where to locate it-have to do that and then get back to the myTVS guys :-(
first try to find out oil breather condition its located behind air filter

Oil breather interconnects between air filter,turbo unit,engine block and intercooler i guess

So my Suggestion is that if you face oil leakes in turbo section all turbo pipes are tighted or not and observe oil breather condition and try to find out is any oil is entered in air filter section if you found oil in air filter then conform that oil breather life was decreased

Last edited:
@carma thanks for sharing the link felt very nice after reading it. Feels good to know they are a few like or should i say may be im like a few others who loves TATA for all it is.

Tata Motors makes excellent cars. They have the highest NCAP ratings and are available in multiple fuels and gear options at attractive price points.
However, it is the dealerships that are spoiling the entire experience even in cities like Mumbai where the Tata Motors headquarters are located.

I had bought a Tata Tigor XZO Diesel from Concorde in 2018 - The company-owned dealership and the process was smooth as silk.
I selected the car over Maruti Swift Dzire Diesel ZX at that time as the looks were refreshing, it felt premium inside the cabin and the build was robust.
My first 2 free services took place at the Concorde Service centre in Andheri and it was a delight. Then, Concorde Andheri closed down leaving the owners to the mercy of other authorised service centres like Richard Garage and Wasan Motors.

These 2 ASCs have a lot of pressure from the increasing sales numbers of the car. So much so that a major servicing at Richard Garage took a month for me. It's unbelievable. I had to fight and take the car after the servicing in an unwashed state as the washers had not reported to duty on the day of delivery. In the span of a month - I visited the service centre thrice - as none of the times the response over the landline number was satisfactory. This was followed by hours of waiting just to hear that they do not have the availability of spares and hence it is taking time. I spoke to 4 people - two service managers who resigned in the span of a month, the receptionist and ultimately the owner of the franchise. I vowed that this would be my first and last experience with them.

Later, I managed to discover Banai Auto on automotive forums and the two services here were smooth. I also bought the Extended Warranty and the P2P Package here. However, the service centre closed down and they gave up Tata Motors Service Franchise. Leaving the people of Western Suburbs the only option of Wasan Motors in Kandivli West.

A series of harrowing times began at Wasan again with the period for Major Servicing which is usually 3-4 days extended to more than 40 days. The excuse given was that they are not receiving the spares and approvals from the company as everybody is working from home. My question to him was - "Is everyone WORKING from home?" Finally, I gave up and spoke to the regional service manager and within 2 days they delivered the car i.e. on the 42nd Day.

Next was a minor service after a span of 6 months, the service manager asked me to come the very next day to collect the vehicle after confirming over a call. I called but the vehicle was not ready. They again dillydallied for 8 days and on the 9th day, I was being called to pick up the vehicle. When the vehicle was being sanitized in the delivery area. I saw the front left fender damaged and bruised and the dent extending to the front bumper. I asked the sanitisation executive and he admitted that it has happened at the workshop and asked me to speak to the service manager. When I spoke to the service manager, he said that the same was already there and asked me to refer to the JOB CARD. I referred to the job card and showed the same to him and then he admitted and said that he did not know when did this happen at the workshop and asked me to claim the same from my zero depreciation insurance policy. I do not know, from where he got to know about my zero depreciation policy. He asked me to take the car home and bring it back after a couple of days as they have too much load of cars due to the rainy season.

I did not accept the same and left the service centre without taking the car. I had already paid the invoice by then. The very next day I called the helpline number of Tata Motors but it was down and I could not connect. Aghast, I tweeted about the incident. I got a reply in Tweet from Tata Motors asking me the details. After around 48 hours I got a call from the social media team of Tata Motors asking to describe the problem in detail and assuring that they'll escalate the same. I did so. Also got an email from Tata Service giving me a complaint number and an assurance that they'll resolve the complaint. Unfortunately, they were not specific as to how the complaint will be resolved. I think we have made a big mistake by relying on this indigenous car maker and giving into the advertisements that speak of Bharat Ki Car. The service network is not empowered and too weak to take the burden.

I have had service experiences with various brands like Maruti, Hyundai, Jeep and Skoda and trust me this is the worst by far. I will urge everyone to buy a Tata Car only and only if you have a good service mechanic and a reliable garage that you know of. Relying on the authorised service centres is a waste of time and your hard-earned money.

If the Authorised Service Centres are so lousy, how can customers trust them? This unprofessional approach will give the company a very bad name in the market. Already it is lagging behind in spite of producing the best in class vehicles and selling them at the lowest possible prices in the segment. Whatever money goes in R&D, Marketing, etc. is all useless if the people on the ground do not support the customers promptly. The personnel are inefficient, unprofessional & not properly qualified. They are trained to deal with cab drivers only as for a long period before Tiago was introduced - they only dealt with cab and fleet owners. Various internet forums, print media and all are full of documented facts and stories about this subject. I don't have to elaborate anything on this.

Top Bottom