Tata Manza Ownership Experience: Eighth Year

Thread Starter #436
Re: Sixth Year - Tata Manza Ownership Experience

The Ulundurpet- Attur- Salem route is the best and the smoothest.
My best wishes for your immigration to Chennai. Since you will be coming through Coimbatore on the way to Palakkad, hoping to meet you.
Thanks DJ bro.
We can meet if possible

Re: Fifth Year - Tata Manza Ownership Experience

Tornado, it is working fine even after seven months.
No issues after that spray.

Car is going on a transformation now.
Becoming a Chennaite.
Paid life time tax at Chennai and now waiting for number change.
Welcome to Chennai! (maybe I shouldn't be the one to say that... I live in Hosur).

The Chennai RTO is not bothered about cars from other states... Pondicherry may be an exception. So, I am wondering why you are changing the registration.

Where do you stay in Chennai. I make frequent trips to Chennai. My place in Chennai is Mogappair near Annanagar.

Hope to meet you sometime. Have a pleasant in Chennai.

Thread Starter #438
Re: Fifth Year - Tata Manza Ownership Experience

The Chennai RTO is not bothered about cars from other states... Pondicherry may be an exception. So, I am wondering why you are changing the registration.

Where do you stay in Chennai. I make frequent trips to Chennai. My place in Chennai is Mogappair near Annanagar.

Hope to meet you sometime. Have a pleasant in Chennai.
Thanks Highway Ranger.

Wanted to avoid trouble from Police and RTO and that is the reason for changing registration.

I have checked in at Valasaravakkam.

We should meet surely.

Thread Starter #439

Completed a medium round trip of 1600 km last week.

Pick up and smoothness in Highway drive is wonderful.

Enjoyed driving and this car brings a smile and good feeling during and after each and every trip.

When decided to drive, only thing did was to fill diesel on the previous night.

Last 8 months, there was a mix of events like car was idle for two months and then transported to Chennai through Agarwal Movers and Packers. Driven by a a few others in between for short distances and other than that only regular drive to office and week end short trips. Not seen the service station in last 8 months.

Nitrogen filled from Vapi in last October. Observed a uniform drop of only 2 points from each tyre while topping up midway during this trip. So practically no drop in tyre pressure even after 8 months and a few thousand kms - advantage nitrogen and thumps up for the filling station in Vapi.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #441

happy to see your long relation with Manza. Wish you many years together.
Do share some snaps
Thanks Sudarmani. Shall post pictures later.

Manza is a Chennaite now. Number plates changed

Missing DD number plates - it was a hit during our trips with many people staring at the number plate.
Also on every trip somebody stop by to ask about the number plates.

Its great going for Manza in Chennai.

Taking a short cut to Office to avoid traffic jams and that route is almost like a no road condition but Manza is doing well and Apollo Acelere tyres is doing a good job.

Looking for good TATA service station in Chennai for a service due next month.

Thread Starter #443

Does Acelere come with 'Treadwear, Traction, Temperature ' ratings embossed on the sidewall?
Tornado, it says something like Tread wear 300, Traction A, Temperature A on the sidewall of acelere.

A few days ago when I was negotiating a narrow stretch, a corporation worker dropped a heavy road divider on my car and there was a dent and some scratches.

To fix the dent, ordered one pop a dent set from Flipkart for a discounted rate of Rs 580 and it was promptly delivered but found to be totally useless.

Then bought a simple toilet plunger for Rs 49 from local shop - pressed the plunger on the car body over the dent - dent vanished in one pull.

Later used the same in a relatives's car when he came to visit us. A dent for which it was quoted Rs 5000 to fix by Maruti dealer vanished in one minute with this plunger.

Tornado, it says something like Tread wear 300, Traction A, Temperature A on the sidewall of acelere.
OMG!, Acelere ratings are similar for treadwear ( mileage), Traction (braking) but the Temperature rating is 'A 'which is better than Apollo Alnac (Temperature B).

Alnac are supposed to be next generation or western name for Accelere!

Thread Starter #445

First Mechanical trouble in six years.

Last Saturday, there was trouble in engaging reverse gear to take out car from parking area. Car was parked for one hour after a short drive of 2 km. There was no issues till previous day or till it was parked that day.

Some how managed to put the reverse gear and then the first gear to negotiate a steep muddy climb and then second gear in a newly laid uneven muddy road. Once reached main road, tried to step up to 3rd gear but it was stuck on neutral. Steered to the side of the road and tried several times. Not possible to engage any gear.

But the car did not abandon us in the middle of city traffic and somehow 2nd gear got engaged. drove to a Shell fuel station 2 km away and filled diesel. It was bumper to bumper traffic any way so 2nd gear was by default. After filling diesel pressed the clutch fully and started in 2nd gear. No issue till home in heavy traffic.

After reaching home called Tata Motors helpline - A technician arrived within 30 minutes. He declared it is a clutch issue and car has to towed. Called for tow service again at the helpline. Tow vehicle arrived in 1 hour. Again drove the car to the tow vehicle 40 meters away.

I was not aware of service stations nearby since I have moved to this City recently. Got the number of service manager at MyTVS, Tata authorised sevice center at Porur. He was very much particular that car should not be driven and has to be towed.

Car reached MyTVS just before 3 pm and since two days holiday they promised to deliver the car tuesday after fixing clutch issue and doing an oil service which is anyway due in one month.

On the way to sevice station, tow vehicle hit a tata ace in a busy road. tata ace was entering from opposite lane to this lane and inspite of the tow driver waving his hands and shouting, ace driver did not stop and the tow vehicle smashed the front cover of ace and stopped in such a way that only 2 to 3 inches gap before manza hit the ace on the side. Front cover of ace was thrown away in the impact and driver of tow vehicle managed to flee from the scene after a big shout at the ace driver.

OMG! lot of drama there in the middle.
But loved the way TATAS handled the things in time, wish they deliver similarly on Tuesday too and prove that DD TASS is not lone in managing the ASS pleasantly.

Thread Starter #447

wish they deliver similarly on Tuesday
Yes Tornado they kept their word.

They called me at 12:45 pm today to inform that car is ready.

Went to the Service station by 2:30 pm.

Car was ready and shining. Service station manager shown me the clutch parts they kept in he boot inside the packaging of new parts.

Pointed out to the manager that washing is not properly done for underbody. He asked the SA to wash it again and immediately arranged for the same by moving out another car which was already in the wash bay.

It was an automated washing station - the person operating that must have done a short cut just before lunch time when they washed it for the first time.

This time he did it nicely to my satisfaction.

Charges for the service including clutch replacement, heater plug replacement and oil change - Rs 15081/-

KIT Clutch - Rs 2663.75
Clutch Rel Brg - Rs 545.85
Bushing - Rs 98.69
Bushing - Rs 87.34
WD40 Rust leak - Rs 127.51
Clutch Master Cylinder - Rs 1944.98
Slave Cylinder - Rs 1134.50

Brake oil (Golden Cruiser) - Rs 204.37
Heater Plug - Rs 793.89
Engine Oil Petronas semi synthetic 5W40, 3.5 ltr - Rs 1406.12
Oil filter - Rs 345.85
Air filter element SDE 75 PS - Rs 227.07
Emery sheet 80 - Rs 17.03

Total for parts - Rs 9596.95 + VAT 14.5% (Rs 1391.56) => Rs 10988.50

Clutch Overhauling - Rs 1245
Major Service - Rs 1556.25
Fitment charges - Clutch master and slave cylinder - Rs 550
Heater plug - Rs 207.50

Total for labour including service tax and others - Rs 4092.56

Total Amount paid - Rs 15081

Glad that I found a good service station (TASS) in Chennai - MyTVS, Porur

Thread Starter #449

Overall, clutch replacement cost you approx Rs 10 k, that's quite affordable.
Yes it was around Rs 9500 for clutch replacement.

After replacement, clutch has become too smooth since I am used to a slightly hard clutch.

Anyway car is extra smooth now and pick up also increased a bit.

Fortunately clutch failed in a city.had it happened while on highway, it would have been big headche for you.

How come there were no warning symptoms or signs before it failed?

Top Bottom