Tata Indica Vista: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #16
Re: Tata Indica Vista VX 2011 - Ownership Issues

Auto Experts ! Need some suggestion. I am back with the A.C problems again in my car.

Update after the Service center fixed the issue (at least they said so [frustration] !!)

The service personnel mentioned that the issue is resolved. But in case if I take it for a long drive and face the same problem they asked me to report back.

And I did take the car (got a chance due to busy schedule during the week) today to Thiruthani. When I left Chennai around 1:30 PM today the A.C was working fine and after I drove it for approx 30 kms (continuously) the A.C effect started to deteriorate and eventually no effect at all. I then switched off the A.C/Fan completely and turned it back on in another hour or so, the A.C started to work. Again as I kept driving for few more kms the A.C won't work and just the fan blowing some air. Finally I drove the car back to home with windows rolled down to get at least some fresh air with pollution. When I approached my home, I tried to turn on the A.C and the compressor started to work again.

My thoughts -

1. The service personnel seem to be replacing parts without proper diagnosis, they seem to have no clue what so ever. This is just disgusting even after complaining so much on top of it being such a brand new car/model.
2. Can the A.C issue in particular due to some sort of sensor problems which prevents the compressor to keep running after continuous driving for an hour or so?.
3. If there is fault with the compressor how come the A.C works on and off, it should either work or not work completely !!.

I also read somewhere on the sporadic compressor issue

Sporadic temperatures can also occur as a result of a problem in your vehicle’s electrical system. For example, the compressor clutch may not receive a sufficient electrical charge from the battery. When the charge doesn’t carry enough voltage, the clutch can fail to trigger the compressor.
I have reported back to Tata Customer service manager who has been following up on my case and this time I am sure they will replace the OEM A.C unit [cry] since replacing parts seem to be a pretty easy task for them than actually diagnosing a problem.

Hi gokul, the AC compressor needs to cut off after a particular time.
That's normal even it happens in my car & its normal.
But i don't feel the cooling is down, which in your case is happening.
It used to happen once i drive for 250 kms on a highway, the compressor switches off & again switches on.
If it doesn't happens the compressor may burst.

Its normal and nothing to worry.
What you try to find next time is once the compressor cuts off, how long it takes to cool the cabin.
When you switch off the AC and open windows, it takes more time to cool in your car than usual,as the cabin which was cool will take more time when outside air enters.

One of my friends M800's AC is cooling so much that compressor doesn't cuts off and freezes his hand, he turns it off and switches on later.
this happened with him once the thermostat was replaced.

Btw check this video which says when the AC cuts off:A 101 On A Car's Air Conditioning Pressure Cut Off Switch - YouTube

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18

Hi gokul, the AC compressor needs to cut off after a particular time.
That's normal even it happens in my car & its normal.
But i don't feel the cooling is down, which in your case is happening.
It used to happen once i drive for 250 kms on a highway, the compressor switches off & again switches on.
If it doesn't happens the compressor may burst.

Its normal and nothing to worry.
What you try to find next time is once the compressor cuts off, how long it takes to cool the cabin.
When you switch off the AC and open windows, it takes more time to cool in your car than usual,as the cabin which was cool will take more time when outside air enters.
Appreciate your comments and the link.

In my case as you said the cooling is definitely going down. I understand that the compressor has to cut off some times, but here the compressor actually turns off as it did today after 30 kms of driving as I mentioned.

Mostly it never comes back and the reason that I rolled down the windows is because we were suffocating inside and I rolled 'em down only after waiting enough for the compressor to turn on which it never did. We were mostly driving with just the recirculation mode on, blower at level 2 speed and the a.c light on (with no a.c of course).

I guess this may not be the usual/normal compressor cut off situation as I have owned few cars at different periods so far and certainly have not experienced like the one here. I used to drive a 2007 Estilo before this car and usually can hear the compressor cut off/on but certainly never felt the A.C effect going down.

I can clearly see that the compressor shutting off after an hour of driving and it never comes back up, I had given almost 15-20 mins today (that's the point when ever one started to feel pretty uncomfortable with just the fan) to wait for the compressor to turn on. Though, after I turn off the A.C and try turning it back on in 30 mins or so I can feel the compressor working.

@Gokul:Was the refrigerant topped up recently when the AC was serviced?
The latest charger material is R134a gas.
Tell them to refill the gas.
May be in your case the compressor is cutting off ,due to low charger material.
And you are feeling no cooling in the car, tell them to check thermostat too.

Thread Starter #20

@Gokul:Was the refrigerant topped up recently when the AC was serviced?
The latest charger material is R134a gas.
Tell them to refill the gas.
May be in your case the compressor is cutting off ,due to low charger material.
And you are feeling no cooling in the car, tell them to check thermostat too.
Very valuable points. I will certainly run these questions by the technicians tomorrow or whenever they take it back for diagnosis. Thanks.

Congratulations gokulp on your car , but sad to see you facing so much problems. But again this is expected in a TATA! I have faced many issues like this before with their A.S.S. Without proper diagnosis they will change a part and the problem will re-surface again. I faced a torrid time with them when i had my Safari.

All the best hope your issue gets resolved soon.

Since you are from Chennai , why don't you try Concorde? They are not the best but good enough.

Gokul,

Do not worry about the car. I have a 1 year old Vista QJD. The Vista car is indeed a good car and in my opinion comparable with the nearest competitors like swift. If the service quality of the ASS is not good, then it is better to switch the same. Let us know on the instrument cluster replacement.

Thread Starter #23

Congratulations gokulp on your car , but sad to see you facing so much problems. But again this is expected in a TATA! I have faced many issues like this before with their A.S.S. Without proper diagnosis they will change a part and the problem will re-surface again. I faced a torrid time with them when i had my Safari.

All the best hope your issue gets resolved soon.

Since you are from Chennai , why don't you try Concorde? They are not the best but good enough.
Yeah, that is the next option after I get these issues sorted out. Probably I might check out Concorde for the next scheduled service. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gokul,

Do not worry about the car. I have a 1 year old Vista QJD. The Vista car is indeed a good car and in my opinion comparable with the nearest competitors like swift. If the service quality of the ASS is not good, then it is better to switch the same. Let us know on the instrument cluster replacement.
Thanks and good to know from a fellow owner. I have given the car yesterday for the cluster and A.C issue, have not heard back from them yet. Will keep this thread updated as soon as I get to know something.

Hi Gokul,

Did your ac problem got fixed. I am also planning to buy a quadrajet VX model and did any enquiry with a friend who owned the previous model of car (aura) .He had driven it for close to 1lac km(it is sold now). He had the exact problems you described. Sorry to say , he had this problem till the last minute he sold his vehicle (even though service center(s) tried to fix the problem multiple times) Did you en quire with any other recent owners and got any feed back on this problem?

Regards
HA

Last edited:
Thread Starter #25

Sorry for the late response. I got the problems taken care and fixed by the service center with the help from Tata Motors. The issues were identied primarily with faulty HVAC unit and Wiring Harness. Tata arranged for new parts from Pune and the service center has replaced the parts. I took the car once for a 60km drive (non-stop) and did not experience problem with the A/C as before. Though I have been driving only with in the city limits for commuting to and from work. I guess it is resolved but still not very sure unless I get sometime to take the car for a long trip somewhere. Also the fuel gauge meter is working properly now.

@gokulp;

What's the latest condition of your car? Are you still facing any serious issues?

I have observed that Concorde-Ambattur is better than TAFE Reach. Avoid KLN motors by all means. I think TATA need to have more service centers in Chennai. They have only 4-5 service centers and most of the service centers are over loaded and 60-70% of their business comes from cabs.

Thread Starter #27

@gokulp;

What's the latest condition of your car? Are you still facing any serious issues?

I have observed that Concorde-Ambattur is better than TAFE Reach. Avoid KLN motors by all means. I think TATA need to have more service centers in Chennai. They have only 4-5 service centers and most of the service centers are over loaded and 60-70% of their business comes from cabs.
Thanks for the message. The car is in great shape now, I do not have any more problems with the car now and I have driven 12k+ km.s already. I went on family trips to Yelagiri, Coimbatore, Valparai, Munnar and every member of the family just love the space and the features it offer. Though I had a rough ride at the beginning, its all good now. Thanks to the TATA officials who helped me in sorting the issues through the service center.

Thanks for the message. The car is in great shape now, I do not have any more problems with the car now and I have driven 12k+ km.s already. I went on family trips to Yelagiri, Coimbatore, Valparai, Munnar and every member of the family just love the space and the features it offer. Though I had a rough ride at the beginning, its all good now. Thanks to the TATA officials who helped me in sorting the issues through the service center.
Great to know that you have not faced any major issues since. [clap].

Yes, the space + MJD engine ensures that the car is very comfortable for highway drives.

indica vista clutch disc worn out by 21000km

Last week had a breakdown of my indica vista suddenly after parking at a supermarket found it difficult to engage gears some how shifted gears as clutch pedal was down reached service centre they said ur clutch disc is worn that too at 21000km.i dont ride on the clutch nor use half clutch to ride on up hills. i had no prior vehicle stalling prior as should occur with worn out clutch.Dealer refuses to get clutch replaced under extended warranty. extended warranty brochure gives for clutch replacement till 30,000km. reason is extended warranty is not by tata its by a company called global they deny saying clutch disc goes by wear and tear. how do i prove about my clutch usage. i suspect a manufacturing defect, vehicle is just 3 months past warranty of 2yrs.

Re: indica vista clutch disc worn out by 21000km

Last week had a breakdown of my indica vista suddenly after parking at a supermarket found it difficult to engage gears some how shifted gears as clutch pedal was down reached service centre they said ur clutch disc is worn that too at 21000km.i dont ride on the clutch nor use half clutch to ride on up hills. i had no prior vehicle stalling prior as should occur with worn out clutch.Dealer refuses to get clutch replaced under extended warranty. extended warranty brochure gives for clutch replacement till 30,000km. reason is extended warranty is not by tata its by a company called global they deny saying clutch disc goes by wear and tear. how do i prove about my clutch usage. i suspect a manufacturing defect, vehicle is just 3 months past warranty of 2yrs.
Try again complaining to the manager, if he doesn't respond then try Them through mail or a phone call to HQ, IMO a normal clutch life should come upto 30-50k.

Top Bottom