Tata Indica Vista: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I am a new member of this forum, find it very useful and very happy to hear from fellow owners. Especially amazed by the details provided by the TAI-ians here.

Well, I Chose Vista VX after reading lot of reviews, browsing through forums, many dealership visits, Test drives and what not. I am still very happy with the choice of the car at least in terms of the driving comfort, space and an reliable engine overall. Also 20 KMPL (highway conditions) mileage is just awesome with enough torque to back it up. Of course, I usually don't rev a car and only drive it gracefully and making it an enjoyable experience to not just the driver but also for the passengers.

Enough with all the positive sides of the car, here goes the list of issues that I have been facing till date (on which the service center folks are working on it alongside with Tata motors)

1. After a week of ownership I noticed something wrong with the fuel gauge. I was driving down the highway (the very first road trip - Chennai to Trichy with my family) and all of a sudden the Fuel gauge started to act weird. It went all the way down to empty level and the Low fuel lamp came on even when the tank was full ( I just had refueled ). The ICD (Instrument Cluster Diagnostics) lamp lit on and this behavior was noted all the way down during my trip. But before I decided to continue with the trip I called up the Tata 1-800 number and got it confirmed that it is safe (I guessed it will be safe but for the satisfaction of my wife) to drive since it must be a faulty meter.

After returning back to Chennai I took the car to the dealer (as it was time for the 1st service) who mentioned that its a faulty dashboard assembly and they would replace it under warranty. When I took the delivery of the car I noticed by all myself that they replaced dashboard assembly with a part suited for 2010 vistas and before. This is how I found - The back light in digital meter is light grey color in the Vista VX model but the one replaced for me was with back lit with blue color (My colleague has a vista aura QJD). The dealership agreed and said the part for new Vista refresh facelift edition is not availabe and said they will put in a request with Tata motors for which I have not heard anything yet.

2. Even after this the fuel gauge has been faulty with almost the same behavior and I took it back to the dealer only to hear back from them that the dashboard harnsess is at fault and they will put in another request with Tata Motors. OMG !! Do you believe this !! Again,

So far they have not got this part from Tata Motors yet, obviously they said it was Pooja holidays during this week.

3. The car's AC has a sporadic problem, it works for short distance and if I take the car for a long drive may be after an hour or so of driving the compressor will turn off by itself and it will never come back on. The fan motor is working but no A.C effect in this case.

4. This is the biggest of all, yesterday 6/10/2011 I was driving down the expressway in approx 75kmph with my whole family (including my 5 yr old son) the car jerked suddenly and the engine warning light came on.

I pulled over to the side of the road and noticed that the diesel was coming off the car from beneath, it was just spilling over and dripping all along. I called up Emergency Road side assistance and mechanics from MyTVS(I heard Tata has an alliance with them for Chennai zone ?) showed up in just 45 mins and diagnosed that its because the fuel supply tank mouth hose has opened up somehow and now they closed it tight. I got it confirmed from them many times if there is no leak from the tank. Overall they were very surprised (and me too !) and not sure why this happened. They made a comment saying that probably during the I service the service personals might have loosened it up, though I don't know why they would even inspect the fuel supply system at least during the first service.

Today, I have given the car to Tata Tafe greams road Chennai service center today.

Also got hold of some one by name Mr.Charles who is the Customer service manager for Chennai zone (from Tata Motors, he is very good and it appears that he takes customer complaints very seriously) and explained him the whole story. I did send an email too also to customercare@tatamotors.com and came to know from the service center that some one from Pune called the service center and inquired about the status. Bottom line I can see that Tata Motors are serious about customer complaints and concerns (The credibility of the dealerships are subjective and I don't want to blame an entire dealership though some of them are good and few men have a bad attitude!). I will certainly keep this thread updated as and when I get a status back from the Service center.

Re: Tata Indica Vista VX 2011 - Ownership Issues

Oh seems you had tough time with owning but good news is that they have responded quickly! that's a little bit satisfying anyway keep us updated.

@ Gokul: Gosh, so many niggling issues with your car, was the dashboard changed after your complaint, was it solved.
Buddy the diesel leaking was a lapse on their service regarding how they service the car.
Better visit any other dealership in your town.

Hi Everyone

I am a new member of this forum, find it very useful and very happy to hear from fellow owners. Especially amazed by the details provided by the TAI-ians here.

Well, I Chose Vista VX after reading lot of reviews, browsing through forums, many dealership visits, Test drives and what not. I am still very happy with the choice of the car at least in terms of the driving comfort, space and an reliable engine overall. Also 20 KMPL (highway conditions) mileage is just awesome with enough torque to back it up. Of course, I usually don't rev a car and only drive it gracefully and making it an enjoyable experience to not just the driver but also for the passengers.

Enough with all the positive sides of the car, here goes the list of issues that I have been facing till date (on which the service center folks are working on it alongside with Tata motors)

1. After a week of ownership I noticed something wrong with the fuel gauge. I was driving down the highway (the very first road trip - Chennai to Trichy with my family) and all of a sudden the Fuel gauge started to act weird. It went all the way down to empty level and the Low fuel lamp came on even when the tank was full ( I just had refueled ). The ICD (Instrument Cluster Diagnostics) lamp lit on and this behavior was noted all the way down during my trip. But before I decided to continue with the trip I called up the Tata 1-800 number and got it confirmed that it is safe (I guessed it will be safe but for the satisfaction of my wife) to drive since it must be a faulty meter.

Also got hold of some one by name Mr.Charles who is the Customer service manager for Chennai zone (from Tata Motors, he is very good and it appears that he takes customer complaints very seriously) and explained him the whole story. I did send an email too also to customercare@tatamotors.com and came to know from the service center that some one from Pune called the service center and inquired about the status. Bottom line I can see that Tata Motors are serious about customer complaints and concerns (The credibility of the dealerships are subjective and I don't want to blame an entire dealership though some of them are good and few men have a bad attitude!). I will certainly keep this thread updated as and when I get a status back from the Service center.
First of all don't worry, it is important that you are getting attention and issues being addressed.

The only issue with you car is the faulty fuel gauge, rest the service centre messed up!

IMO There was no need to replace dashboard, it must have been issue with the float in the tank nothing else.

While attending your problem , they messed up with the dashboard, they messed up with the fuel line while checking the float, that lead to the diesel spillage.

Regarding AC, I doubt while replacing the dashboard, they have again messed up AC controls as well, since new Vista comes with electric control for AC, so there are chances of problem with controls. Don't worry it is under warranty, demand for replacement of compressor if you think the compressor is problematic. But i don't think the problem is with the compr., Though check which OEM AC is fitted, I guess new Vista's came with Subros, Check whether it is Subros or Behr? It comes with OEM warranty and TATA should not have any problem in replacing it.

Nothing serious has happened to your car, please change the service center.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Oh seems you had tough time with owning but good news is that they have responded quickly! that's a little bit satisfying anyway keep us updated.
Sure ! I will.

@ Gokul: Gosh, so many niggling issues with your car, was the dashboard changed after your complaint, was it solved.
Buddy the diesel leaking was a lapse on their service regarding how they service the car.
Better visit any other dealership in your town.
Thanks for the concern and Yes, I am seriously considering a different dealer for the next service.

First of all don't worry, it is important that you are getting attention and issues being addressed.

The only issue with you car is the faulty fuel gauge, rest the service centre messed up!

IMO There was no need to replace dashboard, it must have been issue with the float in the tank nothing else.

While attending your problem , they messed up with the dashboard, they messed up with the fuel line while checking the float, that lead to the diesel spillage.

Regarding AC, I doubt while replacing the dashboard, they have again messed up AC controls as well, since new Vista comes with electric control for AC, so there are chances of problem with controls. Don't worry it is under warranty, demand for replacement of compressor if you think the compressor is problematic. But i don't think the problem is with the compr., Though check which OEM AC is fitted, I guess new Vista's came with Subros, Check whether it is Subros or Behr? It comes with OEM warranty and TATA should not have any problem in replacing it.

Nothing serious has happened to your car, please change the service center.
drivetech4 - Thanks for the kind words. I agree that nothing serious has happened and I guess its just the mess up which spoils the ownership experience.

It appears like a chain of events to me as well !.

I don't know for sure if the compressor is problematic, but this time I am not taking a chance.

Gokul you are welcome!

Be polite whenever you are dealing with service peoples, it will help a lot. Don't show frustration or anger.

And keep us updated!

warranty replacements by tata is not a problem.usually the service dealer is reluctant to take initiative, mind you customer care of tata has improved a lot every complaint is replied promptly and followed up. So dont worry buddy any problem shoot an e- mail the dealer will follow u not to report their pitfalls to tata.

Be polite whenever you are dealing with service peoples, it will help a lot. Don't show frustration or anger.

And keep us updated!
How much polite one should be for shedding off 6-7 lakh. what could be end limit of politeness; any serious accident or lose of near and dear ones??

usually the service dealer is reluctant to take initiative, mind you customer care of tata has improved a lot every complaint is replied promptly and followed up. So dont worry buddy any problem shoot an e- mail the dealer will follow u not to report their pitfalls to tata.
So we must buy a computer and internet connection along with the car (around Rs40000 ) round the clock to keep reporting to Tata officers,That my fuel is leaking,car is burning, I am trying to save my life..etc etc..

recent incident :One of my friend bought an Indica vista for his father. they started, from showroom before it could reach home the rear left door flung open .
just missed hitting a lady and kid waiting for the bus . group of people gathered were not polite enough ,hold the collar of my friend but were convinced showing the issue with "new car" the car is back in TASS they are replacing door latch assembly.

How much polite one should be for shedding off 6-7 lakh. what could be end limit of politeness; any serious accident or lose of near and dear ones??
Well Jaydev, Here I mean to say that whenever one is visiting the service centre, it is the best way to be polite, instead shouting on the supervisors or reception.In return you get good response. it is my opinion based on my experience Thats all !

You can take up your serious issues with works manager, Tata Service persons, you can show your frustration and anger there.

[thumbsup]

gokul, its not a good feeling to have these niggling issues in a brand new car with spending close to 6lacs for this vehicle.This are issues cropped up with the negligence of the service department.Write to their customer care unit and let them know about the experience you are facing with your brand new car.Also before taking up the delivery of your car, make sure you give proper feedback on their feedback form, which usually is never handed over to customers, they just take our signs and tick all good by themselves.Tata management is very serious about these feedbacks.This would help you in many better way to come in your ownership as well as the issues you are facing would be taken care much better way once the management comes to know of this.

Issues in any new car is not acceptable, straight away file a complaint against them. This will surely help you also will help others.

Thread Starter #12

Thank you all for the concerns and care shown. Yes, it really hurts when you experience these sort of problems after investing in a brand new car.

Though, Tata is certainly taking these issues very seriously (no excuses why these issues arise in the first place).

I heard from the service center that the OEM for AC is Behr and the failure for AC cooling is because of a problem with the cooling coil ([frustration]). They seemed to have coordinated with Behr and now they have changed the cooling coil of the system. I will be picking up the car from the service center this evening and hopefully the issues are sorted out.

I also received an email from the TATA customer support manager as below

Dear Sir,

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

We have taken up strongly with our dealer Tafe Reach Ltd. We arranging for the correct display instrument cluster kindly bear with us.

We have checked the Fuel leak issue and checking the AC Complaint
Now I just have to wait for the instrument cluster part to get it delivered from Tata to the service center after which will have to take the car back to the Service Center to get it fixed.

Hopefully the fuel gauge will function properly after that.

Congratulations Gokul,

Your patience has paid off, It is good that you are getting prompt response from TATA. It is really unfortunate that there were issues in brand new car though, and no excuses for Tata on that front.
But dont worry too much about it and enjoyy the ride, don't spoil your happiness of buying a new car.

Thread Starter #14

Just got the car from the service center. Following items have been replaced

1. Assembly expansion valve (TXV) BEHR
2. Assembly Thermister for flat evap coil - BEHR

They have checked AC system and determined that the fault might be in the thermister assembly and expansion valve. Though they couldn't reproduce the AC problem (after say 50-100 kms of continuous driving the compressor would turn off) but the service manager mentioned that the replacements should take care of the issue.

If I happen to find the same issue again (may be during the next long drive) they would take it up with BEHR and get the AC unit completely replaced.

The fuel main hose seem to have been fixed up as well, though they didn't tell me the reason when asked.

Fingers crossed and waiting on the instrument cluster part replacement to arrive at the service center.

Just got the car from the service center. Following items have been replaced

1. Assembly expansion valve (TXV) BEHR
2. Assembly Thermister for flat evap coil - BEHR

They have checked AC system and determined that the fault might be in the thermister assembly and expansion valve. Though they couldn't reproduce the AC problem (after say 50-100 kms of continuous driving the compressor would turn off) but the service manager mentioned that the replacements should take care of the issue.

If I happen to find the same issue again (may be during the next long drive) they would take it up with BEHR and get the AC unit completely replaced.

The fuel main hose seem to have been fixed up as well, though they didn't tell me the reason when asked.

Fingers crossed and waiting on the instrument cluster part replacement to arrive at the service center.
Nice to hear that, they are doing their part as expected.
Be patient, and all your problems will be sorted out. Al the best ! keep us posted about the proceedings.

Top Bottom